z

Young Writers Society



One Look

by ashotto


The world is alive with the soft hum of the wind and the crisp evening light that falls on the streets. A golden moment of tranquility. Hushed whispers and forced laughs echo around me as I walk down the street, focused on the weeds that sprout beneath the broken pavement. The sky is a gentle concoction of magenta and peach, each colour swimming through the sky, chasing the sun. How strange it is that every day, whether it was good or bad, always ends with indescribable beauty, to mend the piece of our hearts that was broken that day. 

I glance towards the end of the street, where the road goes on and on until it finds the sea which eventually reaches the horizon. Smiling to myself, I feel a jolt in my heart to know that one day I too will reach the horizon. One day, I will find myself amidst the clouds and allow myself to sail away through the sky. One day, I too will be at peace. One day.

A face pulls me out of my thoughts. The deep blue ocean eyes that I could always lose myself in stare at me, and waves that once flowed in that sea are now turned to ice. All the other features are lost to me, the honey-coloured hair and the charming smile, as if they are cast in shadow and all that remains are the eyes.

His eyes.

I feel myself drowning.`The icy eyes that paralyse me seem to melt into azure waves that flow straight into my heart, filling me so full of water I can barely breathe. It is as if I have left the earth and am immersed in a sapphire glow, each ripple rocking my body back and forth until I cannot breathe and there is only me and the sea.

As the waves crash over me, each time with more power, the memories run freely in my mind. The hurt. The heartbreak. A surge of tears followed by a slammed door. The loneliness. His cold eyes as he looks into mine and says "I don't need you". And yet, among the pain that swallows me, my heart is filled with love and light and all that is good in the world. His voice is alive in my mind, whispering. Whilst I drown in his eyes I am at peace with drowning, because drowning means loving him and I do.

He blinks, and I surface.

At his arm is a girl. She's thinner than me, with emerald eyes and auburn curls that frame her face. Her pink lipstick perfectly matches her stunning smile, and she has pristine white teeth that could glow in the dark. In every possible way, she's better than me. And in every possible way, it hurts.

My eyes meet his again and I shatter into a thousand pieces, allowing the gusts of wind to banish me beyond the horizon. After months of putting myself back together, glueing the broken pieces not so that they fit but so that they hold, a single look at him and my world spirals out of control. A single look at him and I'm back to a place I swore I'd never return, back to accepting cheap excuses and breaking myself trying to love him.

He walks right passed me without saying a word, but his eyes speak an infinite amount of words that his mouth could never hope to phrase. A tear escapes my eye, a single drop of pain that I can no longer bear. A waterfall breaks within me, and I sit on the pavement as tear after tear falls out of me, leaving me empty.

And suddenly the warm light that once basked the earth is gone and I am submerged in darkness, desperately trying to find a way out but finding only more shadows. The shadows dance around me and I am lost in the darkest corners of my mind, screaming for help but hearing no answer. The gloom spreads into my heart, into my mind and I welcome it like a friend. In a way, it is my friend.

As my breathing slows and my vision focuses, I look out into the distance, passed the harsh street lights and the soft glow of apartments. I see the line where the sea meets the horizon, where one infinity meets another. Where there are no worries or pains but simply new beginnings and soft smiles. Where I will one day find myself at peace.

One day.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 1454
Reviews: 44

Donate
Tue May 02, 2017 1:36 pm
CharlotteS wrote a review...



This was amazing!

I loved your story line. The person you loved who no longer cares for you. It is heart wrenching and draws the readers in. People can relate to this I think, the heart break. The feeling of hopelessness.

I love your description! The whole drowning in his icy eyes described as actually drowning is such an amazing metaphor! How when she cries a waterfall breaks inside her. Your use of language is just amazing!

Now, the criticism I always give. More details! Why did he break up with her? Why didn't he need her? I have a need for details, no matter what story I read. I am always left asking questions about the story. It would be nice if one day I didn't have to ask questions because the details are perfect.

Other than the need for more details I loved this story and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I will be looking out for more writing from you.




ashotto says...


Thank you!! This is such a sweet review and really made my day:) I see what you mean by adding more details (I love knowing all the details as well) so I'll focus more on that in my next story!

Thanks so much for the amazing review xx



User avatar
81 Reviews


Points: 2620
Reviews: 81

Donate
Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:19 am
skylnn00writes wrote a review...



Hey! Sky here for a review.

The first thing I want to say is that this was truly an amazing work. It was actually like putting the most beautiful piece of artwork into words. It gave me feels and I had this tingly feeling inside my while reading that still isn't fully gone. Like I am not lying to you in the least, this is absolutely some of the best writing I have ever seen written and I don't say that often. It was so good I almost don't want to review it, but I shall.

These are just small suggestions I thought of while reading it:

He blinks, and I surface.

I feel like "resurface" is a better word here but both sound good.

As my breathing slows and my vision focuses, and I look out into the distance, passed the harsh street lights and the soft glow of apartments. I see the line where the sea meets the horizon, where one infinity meets another.

To me, these sentences didn't seem to flow. You started the first one with "and", then never finished and put a period. I could be wrong, but maybe you should change that.

I really couldn't find anything else that was wrong with this. I connected to this character in several ways. The blue eyes being so captivating, and then the heartbreak. The metaphors also with the wind and the ocean blue and just everything was absolutely stunning. I hope this review was helpful with the few suggestions I made but I personally believe that this doesn't need a lot of work and could almost stay as it is.

~Sky




ashotto says...


Hey Sky! Thanks for the great review. I'm glad you enjoyed the story :) Regarding the word 'surface', I agree that it probably sounds better as 'resurface' - thanks! Also, with the sentences near the end, I removed the word 'and', I see why it was kind of irrelevant to the sentence XD Thanks again, so glad you enjoyed it!!



User avatar
58 Reviews


Points: 12
Reviews: 58

Donate
Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:40 pm
JuliasSneezer wrote a review...



Hey, there, Ashotto! Julias here, just Roman' around to drop an interview!

Obviously, you're not new at this. You're description is excellent by way of transporting us directly into the story. You've got just the right amount of description, without overdoing it. Fantastic!

At the beginning, you have a bit of a run-on sentence, which is an easy fix! For example, you say:
"The world is alive with the soft hum of the wind and the crisp evening light that falls on the streets, as if the world is cast in a golden moment of tranquility."

It doesn't look like that on paper, but if you just take a sec and read it aloud, it sounds just a bit too long. This can be fixed with a period somewhere in the middle, while still maintaining the charm of the original sentence. :D

That entire paragraph was just stunning. I totally agree with all you said about sunsets, and the next one where you mentioned that she hoped to get out of that one-horse town was quite inspiring. Obviously, the protagonist seems to be a pretty optimistic person.

Now when you mention his eyes, it gets a bit confusing. That's probably not your fault though, seeing as how I'm not very bright. XD I take it that his eyes reminded her of perhaps a guy that she had another relationship with? Or that flash was her looking back and remembering the guy character in this story? Again, feel free to set me straight. XD

Now. In the last few paragraphs, you mention the other girl. How in the protagonist's eyes she was the epitome of beauty. Everything she could never be. Now, while I understand that seeing a new crush with someone that you think outranks you can be extremely sorrowful, but it seems almost as if she sinks into a depression that seems just a bit unlikely. Unless, of course, she knew this guy before, or she had issues with her body.

Overall, this story was FANTASTIC. I LOVED the detail, and I loved the main character, even if she never said anything. I think that you could expand on this a little, and I would love to read it. Sorry if this review seemed mean, I tried to make it as... un-mean as possible.

Keep writing,
-'Lias




ashotto says...


Hey Julia! Thanks a lot for the sweet and helpful review :) I changed the first sentence and made it shorter (not sure if it's better now). Let me explain the eyes. Basically, the protagonist is walking down the street and she sees her ex, who she hasn't talked to in months but still misses. I'm not sure I made it clear that she knows him or that he simply reminds her of him, so I'll try make it a little clearer. I understand how this sudden sink into depression may be a little unrealistic but I felt that the nightfall could connect with her emotions, but I'm not sure if it worked. Thank you so much for the great review (don't worry, it wasn't mean!) I have loved reading through it :)





Okay, great! I'm glad you liked the review! I went back up and checked that sentence, and it is PERFECT. It was placed just in the right spot. Good job! And I totally understand what you mean now with the ex. You don't need to change anything else about your story. I saw @naxoll's review, and if he/she could get it, then it was just a fault on my part. XD

And now, I totally understand what you mean by how nightfall could sort of pull all that together. And now that I understand that she was seeing someone that she loved in the arms of someone that she thought was prettier, I totally get it. That would be devastating.



ashotto says...


Haha glad you understand it! Also I'm glad you like the new first sentence - your help is much appreciated! Thanks again for the great review <3



Random avatar

Points: 350
Reviews: 9

Donate
Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:31 pm
naxoll wrote a review...



Hi. This is very well written. They way you foreshadowed what was to happen to her heart by saying "... to mend the piece of our hearts that was broken that day", and the repetition of the phrase "one day" are especially effective in portraying the protagonist's pain/emotions. I also like how you've linked the beginning to the end by mentioning the sky/sea, and how you've conveyed the protagonist's emotions through description of nature.

I think this story could have been better if you had expanded a little more on their relationship in the past - maybe you could have let the protagonist experience a flashback or have her talk to herself about how the break-up had taken place. Even if that would have been too much, you could maybe have had the protagonist recall a single line her ex-boyfriend had said to her.

"... all the remains are the eyes" - should be "all that remains are the eyes"?

Overall though, this story was very good.




ashotto says...


Hi! Thank you for your review. I think that would probably make the story a little more realistic if I expanded on the her past with him, and I did consider it, but I wasn't sure if it would allow the story to flow. Also, I edited that last typo (whoops)! Thanks for the help :)


Random avatar
naxoll says...


No problem, glad I could help.




Stop being mean to your self-insert character, you're just being mean to yourself.
— WeepingWisteria