Confessions of a homophobiaphobic

by artemis15sc

A/N: To say I'm nervous about sharing this is a huge understatement, but here I go anyway. I would like to note that I wrote this about a year ago, and the experiences it documents happens several years before that.

*******************************************

Imagine this: I’m on my trampoline, my back pressed against the soothingly warm black surface as I gaze up at that deep, clear blue summer sky; my hair sticking out in all directions like some frenzied electric chair victim, knotted and tangled around my scalp from where I’ve rubbed and scraped.

My eyes are wide, red, and crusted with salt, red lines marking the path of salty tears down my cheeks.

I take a deep breath, close my eyes, and say:

God,

Help me.

Once upon a time I thought anti-gay bullying was over, or at least close. Regardless of my personal beliefs about the morality of homosexual relations, I certainly didn’t want these people to be degraded, discriminated against, or mistreated in any way, so I celebrated this progression. But then I came across the September suicides. In September 2011, 10 gay teens across the US committed suicide. In Utah, this problem also persists, with at least 5 deaths in 2010 and 2 in 2012 due to anti-gay bullying. Another study pointed out that over 2000 of Utah’s homeless youth identify as LGBT, with 70% reporting being kicked out because of their sexuality. So basically, I was wrong about this is issue being, “over,” and regardless of my moral beliefs and stance on gay marriage, this was a huge issue, one I could no longer ignore.

Let me back up a few years.

The first time I heard the word gay, it was a grade school teacher telling us that gay used to mean “happy”, not the ugly perverted meaning the world has given it now. Side note: I’m still in contact with that teacher. She’s a sweet lady and I love her, but she comes from a different generation, a different frame of mind.

At that time, I still had only a vague idea of what it meant to be gay: I knew, or thought, that it had something to do with men and other men, but that was as far as I got. I would hear things though, from other people, and people would tell me things. Eventually I was able to form one coherent truth. To be gay was to have an attraction for someone of the same gender, and these kind of feelings were inspired by Satan and were a sign of the growing evils of our day.

So that was all fine and dandy, until I got to high school, and suddenly they were everywhere. Gay people. And I was forced to face a new truth. They were just people. They were the amazingly dressed guy who waltzed down the hallway in bright green skinny jeans and a plaid red scarf, who my government teacher cited at being amazingly respectful of both sides of the gay marriage issue. They were the hilarious comedian in the acting company, who participated in one of the most moving theater productions I’d ever seen in my entire life. This was also the guy who so sweetly apologized profusely for accidently hitting my friend in the boob while they were dancing together, and who freaked out when he walked into the choir room to find that the girls in the show had turned it into the dressing room— Too which my response was, dude, you’re gay, it’s not like it really matters— however, his concern was still touching.

Then there was the cute guy who was obsessed with lady gaga and wrote a hilarious monologue about it. Who was an amazing and inspiring dancer that I loved having dance class with, and who also played my husband in our theater class and was simply amazing.

And later, my best friend would even openly identify herself as bisexual. This was the best friend who I’d known since I was like four. Whose opinion and ideas I valued more than anyone else’s, with whom I could talk to for hours and hours and never run out of things to say.

I didn’t want to hate them, and I don’t think I ever did. But I was fixated on them too. I was so obsessed with treating them like normal people that I couldn’t and would freak out whenever I was around them. I didn’t know how to talk to them, I was terrified of saying something offensive, so I didn’t say anything at all. I knew they were human, just like me, but a part of me didn’t know it. Or didn’t know how to express it. And some part of me knew that they were wrong, they were sinners. That was and would always be true.

But then My sophomore year my teacher decided to produce a one-act version of The Laramie Project. The Laramie project explores the death of Mathew Shepard, a young gay boy who was brutally beaten to death by two of his peers. Put together by the Tectonic Theater Project, in was a montage of actual quotes taken from witnesses, family members, and citizens of Laramie. One quote in particular stood out to me. The Doctor commented on how, unbeknownst to the authorities, both Mathew and one of his assailants were being treated in the same hospital at the same time after the attack. And here it is:

“They were both my patients and they were two kids. I took care of both of them....Of both their bodies. And...For a brief moment I wondered if this is how God feels when he looks down at us. How we are all his kids....Our bodies....Our souls....And I felt a great deal of compassion....For both of them....”

That line… I wonder if this is how God feels as he looks down on us….I couldn’t get it out of my head. I mulled it over, I prayed about it. I talked to my Mom about it and we came to the same conclusion. This story wasn’t about gay people or gay rights, at least the way my theater teacher was presenting it. It was merely asking one simple question. How can we as fellow human beings, as children of God, do this to one another?

And suddenly it was like someone lit a candle in my brain. I never really thought that way before, but it was true. It was completely, undeniably, irrevocably true. They were God’s children, what’s more they were my brothers and sisters. God loves homosexuals, more than anything I could imagine, and one day I was going to have to stand before him as my actions towards all my fellow man are revealed. Wouldn’t I want my testimony to be one of love, support, understanding and forgiveness? I walked out of that theater with a renewed sense of hope, a deeper understanding of my heavenly father, and unbridled love toward all mankind.

Which was great and everything, but then reality set back in. I was still part of a religion that condemned homosexual activity and gay marriage, which many consider an infringement on gay rights. I still raised my hand every other General Conference to sustain Thomas S. Monson, President of the LDS faith, and others who were part of “The Family: A proclamation to the World.” A document which states, “the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife.” A statement of which I testify and support. For some, affirming this principle isn’t a problem. I can hold my beliefs while still loving and serving all those around me. But for others, it is not enough. Furthermore, it is a form of discrimination, bigotry, hatred. Supporting traditional marriage makes you a homophobic. An ugly, hate-filled word. A word that has come to have such negative connotations as “Hitler” and “Nazi.” I knew the world felt this way because when my sophomore health class was asked to rank all the crimes in the world, homophobia was considered the worst. It was difficult to reconcile my beliefs with the beliefs of the world.

The popular statement, “Hate the sin, love the sinner,” didn’t help me much either. How could I love someone while hating what they did, who they were? I knew there was a way to do it, but I couldn’t personally find the line between the sin and the sinner, at least not a line I was comfortable with. But in addition to my external conflict with the world, I had my own internal conflict to resolve. I believe that the most powerful thing in this world is choice, or our ability to make choices. I may believe that marriage should only be between a man and a woman, but how could I take away the right to choose a spouse from someone else? How could I deny them the right to make their choices? To choose who to be with in this life? Regardless of what their choices brought, it was their choice to make, not mine. And deny them this choice went against everything I believed. But to give them this right also went against everything I believed. I was conflicted, at war with myself. Two powerful voices were waging war inside me. I also wondered why I struggled so much to accept this. A part of me wanted to say it was because I was so sympathetic to the suffering of the LGBT community that I didn’t want to deny them happiness, but another part of me wondered if that was an excuse. Was I just too afraid to stand up for what’s right? But what was right? I didn’t know. If I made one choice, then I was a homophobe, at least by the world standards. If I made another, then I was fearing man more than God. Either way, I was a making a mistake.

But there was another commandment I read in the scriptures, love one another. And I knew that regardless of what was right and what was wrong, these people were suffering. Far more than I was. Gay children were dying in droves, taking their own life one after another. I’ve also heard so many stories of gay teens who’ve been victims of physical and verbal abuse. My own best friend endured a lot of mistreatment when she opened up about her sexuality and supported gay rights. I knew I wasn’t part of this, but I had a feeling that if we stopped preaching so much about the wickedness of homosexual activity and focused instead on loving these individuals, it would be harder for other people to confuse the sin with the sinner and continue to bully gay kids.

Engaging in gay sexual activity may be wrong, but how can people suffering because of their sexuality be right? I can’t rest comfortably while God’s children are taking their lives in these numbers, while his children are suffering. But what should I do? Because these people may be suffering, but if the church backs down there won’t be a loud enough voice to uphold God’s standards. I didn’t know what was right, so rather than risk being wrong I made an even worse decision. I chose to do nothing.

But gradually, the stories of their suffering ate away at my conscious, which was how I ended up on that trampoline. Unsure of what was right. If I was right. I didn’t know how to handle it, these conflictions. And I was maybe even a little angry. Why couldn’t it be clear? Why couldn’t God make it clear to me what was right? But that anger gave way to fear. What was wrong with me? Why couldn’t I just accept it? I may claim it was in the name of love, but perhaps it was fear, weakness. I was afraid of the world’s judgment. I was weak.

So I said a prayer. After I said it. I just laid back and gave in. And then I felt it. Peace. Comfort. Rushing through me. And then all at once, I felt, okay. Better than okay. I felt loved. I was okay that I was struggling, I wasn’t anything less to my heavenly father because of it.

And then He, of course, being the amazing father that he is, finally led me to the answer I’d been looking for. A talk by Jeffrey R. Holland, an apostle of the LDS church,  entitled, “Helping those with same-gender attraction,” that explained that there was nothing wrong with being gay. They were not inherently sinners, with false feelings of love inspired by Satan. He also talked a lot about how even he doesn’t understand why these feelings exist or where they come from, and he explains that we may never know in this life, and that’s okay.

Concerning people who have same-gender attraction and a strong testimony of the LDS faith, I don’t know why God allows for them to have these feelings, but sometimes I wonder if it’s because God knew his children needed a brother or sister who understood the atonement in a way they could not. Who understand forgiveness in a way they could not. Who understand faith in a way I could not. Who understand God in a way so different from me. And who provide a unique perspective on love that the world so desperately needs. 

I don’t know why they have this trial in this life, why they have to struggle with pains and torments I can barely understand. But I know that God loves them, and I know if they turn to him he can free them from worldly condemnation and remind them of their indescribable worth and value in building up the kingdom of God. And I know that by giving into their temptations they are no less in his eyes, so they should be no less than mine. And I know because of the love our redeemer has for us, through his great atonement they can be forgiven of all their trespasses, just like me.

There is nothing wrong with being gay. They are children of their Heavenly father same as me, and he loves them very much. That are not evil, they are beautiful. And yes, same-gender sexual activity is a serious sin, but we are all sinners with our own imperfections. No one person is greater than another, ever. We are all children of God, we are all family. And I will love and serve my family to the end.

Now, this doesn’t just make all my doubts and confusions go away. It’s a very thin line between these two strong beliefs, one I am still struggling to find, and constantly failing to follow. But it’s okay. I learned then, I suppose, that I’m not always going to be right. I have my weaknesses, but I also have strengths. Just as every one of God’s children has their own weaknesses and strengths. Finding what’s right isn’t easy, for any of us. Which is why God has given us each other. Just as he lifts each of us up, we can lift each other up. I can lift people who are struggling with same-sex attraction up and bring them to Christ, in my own way.

Am I fearing Man’s power more than God’s by not taking a strong opposition against same-sex marriage?

Maybe.

Am I a sinner?

Yes.

But perhaps it is this understanding that we’re all sinners, with weakness, but also with beautiful, unimaginable strengths that allow us to come together.

And to love one another.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:33 pm
WindSailor wrote a review...

Hello, WindSailor here to review your essay. This is obviously a controversial issue, so I won't be commenting on my personal opinion, but I will be focusing on the content and effectiveness of your essay.

Your essay was a very personal one as I can see, but it really worked for what you were trying to do. It, in my opinion, made it way more effective, and described what your introspective thoughts were. Throughout the essay it seems you are at war with yourself, and you are trying to figure out how to love but still maintain your beliefs. I would imagine for anyone who believes something such as you, that has to be a difficult thing to reconcile, but the essay does a great job at explaining how you feel, and how you came to a solution of sorts.

You referenced a man named, Jeffrey R. Holland, an apostle of the LDS church, and you also pointed to a talk given by him. I think it would be useful for others if you gave us a link to this talk or at least to the church's page, so we can understand the source you are talking about and so your essay can be more effective at reaching people. Also, while I am on the topic of citing your sources, you should cite sources for these studies as well.

Another study pointed out that over 2000 of Utah’s homeless youth identify as LGBT, with 70% reporting being kicked out because of their sexuality

I liked this line. Although, I and others may disagree, I am glad you admitted that homosexuality, if it is a sin, is just another sin, and shouldn't be looked down upon anymore then lying or whatever else. Unfortunately, more than it should probably happen, people have such a bad look on homosexuals that it almost turns into hatred. But, I am glad you are standing here telling those people that Jesus preached love and so should we.

The essay was effective, but only to a point. I think that the main crowd you were addressing was the religious crowd, which is perfectly fine. However, if you were attempting to reach a broader crowd, I feel you kind of missed the mark there. Most of your essay was built on the Bible and what it says, therefore, leaving other people who don't follow the Bible kind of out of the circle of influence you could potentially have. Other than that small note, I have nothing bad to say about the essay. It was well written and well presented. Great job! Keep writing!

artemis15sc says...

*face palm* I completely forgot about citing sources. Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read. It means a lot.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:19 pm
dbrick wrote a review...

This was a good essay; you communicated your position well and talked about many of the aspects of homosexuality. I do have a problem with your reasoning though; you said "And yes, same-gender sexual activity is a serious sin, but we are all sinners with our own imperfections." For Apostle Paul said in Romans 6:1-4 "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life." Just because Christ has died on the cross and paid the price for our sins doesn't mean that we can simply sin and say, "oh well, I'm a sinner, I just can't help it!" We should strive to be more like Christ. Don't get me wrong, we should be like Christ and love other people unconditionally, whether they are straight or gay. Once again, we are saved by faith alone, and not works. God can forgive any and all of your sins; but since we are no longer ruled by sin because Christ has set us free, we should try to be more like Him (but our salvation isn't dependent on this because we are human and will fail). Just something to think about (sorry, kind of a long response).

Anyways, you did a really good job communicating your emotions through this essay; I can see that you put a lot of time and heart into it!

artemis15sc says...

Thank you. I appreciate your reading and your response. I have no problem with what you said, though I would like to respond with my own beliefs.

For the sake of clarity and brevity, I did not comment upon the repentance process because my essay is not a sermon on repentance, it was merely an exploration of the question, "How to reconcile hate for the sinner with love for the sinner." And that exploration led me to explore the idea of us all being sinners, which is why it's not our place to make judgments about the salvation of other people. That task belongs to God alone. But again, this is not idea I felt had a place in this essay.

It also clear to me that my theology differs from yours. As you probably gathered, I belong to the LDS faith, and we do not believe it is faith alone that "saves" us, but both faith and work. We do believe that it is only through Christ's atonement that we may return to our Heavenly Father. however, I reference a scripture from our Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 31:16, "And now, my beloved brethren, I know by this that unless a man shall endure to the end, in following the example of the Son of the living God, he cannot be saved." This was taken from a chapter we call the Doctrine of Christ, in which Nephi, an ancient prophet, outlines how mankind may return to their Heveanly Father.

I do agree that no mortal is capable of attaining perfection in this life, but we believe we must strive toward it, with all our heart, and then Christ, though his infinite sacrifice, will make up the difference.

Again, I absolutely love your response, I just thought I'd give you some background on the theology this essay stemmed from. xD.

dbrick says...

Thank you for your kind response! I would just like to ask, if Jesus Christ is in fact the Son of God and perfect in every way, isn't it a contradiction that this perfect Son of God's sacrifice is imperfect to cover our sins? He, in His own perfection, was the perfect and full sacrifice. I would even point to your own Book of Mormon in Mosiah 3:8-9 "And he shall be called Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of heaven and earth, the Creator of all things from the beginning; and his mother shall be called Mary.

And lo, he cometh unto his own, that salvation might come unto the children of men even through FAITH on his name; and even after all this they shall consider him a man, and say that he hath a devil, and shall scourge him, and shall crucify him."

Please know that my response is out of love and hoping that you realize Christ's sufficiency! God bless.

artemis15sc says...

I believe that as long as people maintain respect for each other, they can always discuss things politely, and you a great example of that. I'm also very impressed that you quoted the Book of Mormon. Thank you for being so well versed in the matter we are discussing.

I'm really enjoying our conversation, because I love becoming acquianted with new perspectives. I would love to continue this discussion with you, but I must warn you. my beleifs over religious matters only change after intensive scripture study, pondering, and of course, personal prayer.

Anyway, first I want to establish what our common ground is. The phrase, "No unclean thing can dwell in the presence of God" or something similar, comes up many times in the Book of Mormon. Since we will sin, it would be impossible for any of us to return to him without Christ's atonement. Of that, we are both certain. And I agree that Christ is sufficient.

However, an important part of LDS doctrine is the Plan of Salvation, which states that we existed before our time on earth, and our time on earth is essential to our eternal progression. We believe that we have the potential to become like our Heavenly Father, but we need this life to be tested, to grow, and to learn how to use our free agency. Alma 34:32 states "This life is the time to prepare to meet God." But as we also agreed, we will fail, which is why the Atonement is necessary, because Christ suffered and died for our sins, we can repent and become clean again.

So yes, Christ is sufficient, but this life is an amazing opportunity to learn how to be like him, and our doctrine teaches us to make the most of this life, to reach our divine potential as we strive to emulate Christ's perfect example.

Since I'm not sure I did the best at explaining, here's a link that might help clarify some of our beliefs.
http://www.mormon.org/beliefs/plan-of-salvation

dbrick says...

Hey! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I have been finishing up my midterms. I would like to point to Jeremiah 17:9 - "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?" and follow it up with John 3:6-8 - "That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. %u201CDo not be amazed that I said to you, %u2018You must be born again.%u2019 %u201CThe wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit."
Man's heart is sinful and can only be changed by God; man himself is unable to be changed except by the Holy Spirit. In this, man is unable to take credit for any works he does because it is the work of the Holy Spirit.
Additionally, this article outlines some problems with the Book of Mormon: http://carm.org/problems-with-the-book-mormon as well as an article about Joseph Smith: http://carm.org/false-prophecies-of-joseph-smith
I believe these articles present enough questions and problems to discredit the Book of Mormon in favor of the Bible which is historically accurate and has had roughly 2,000 prophecies fulfilled. Once again, I am not trying to be hateful or offensive, I am simply trying to show you the evidence for the validity of the Bible as the true Word of God.

artemis15sc says...

I appreciate it mate, but like I said, my beliefs change through prayer and intensive scripture study alone. I don't actually see how those scriptures "disprove" my beliefs, but that's okay. So yeah, note that if you are trying to change my mind, you are wasting your time. If you are trying to inform me about your own beliefs, you are not wasting your time and I love learning about other beliefs. So I guess it's up to you whether we continue or not.

I know you were not trying to be offensive, and I'll still think you're an amazing human being, but I do think you're crossing a line when you try to disprove my sacred work and tell me my prophet was false. You have a right to those beliefs and you have a right to share them with me, but when you stated them as fact rather belief, that's when I got a little uncomfortable. And too clarify, I don't quote from the Bible because I think when two people of different faiths quoting form the same text results in Bible bashing, which is no bueno. But LDS people view the Book of Mormon and Bible both as the word of god, not just the Book of Mormon.

Perhaps if we continue this conversation we should do it via pm? It's up to you...

dbrick says...

Hey! I'm sorry if I came across the wrong way; I don't mean to force anything on you, so I apologize for that. I just got a little carried away. I think our conversation is probably over, because we just end up butting heads on these issues. Once again, I didn't mean to come across as aggressive, I really don't want you to think that that was my attitude in our discussion. Best of luck on your writing endeavors and God bless!

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
— JRR Tolkien