What did we mean?

by aouther2b

I thought we meant something,
I guess I thought wrong.
How could I possibly mean something to you
when you're so happy to be gone?

We said it was forever,
A rope that would never fray.
We made the vows and the promises
that mean nothing today.

You left like a whisper,
never said a word.
Leaving behind not a trace
of the thing we once were.

And it was something beautiful.
Like a flower blooming in the sun.
I belived there was no timeline
for what we had become

You changed your mind though.
Decided I was wasn't worth it to you.
You crushed my heart with your hands,
and there was nothing I could do

Back then I believed
That nothing could break
the love we had created,
my biggest mistake

Can I move on
and forget all the pain?
Why did you leave me?
What did you gain?

silverlady99 wrote a review...

Hey ... so, yeah, it's me again :P
So, I REALLY liked your poem. It's something that i can totally relate to.

The theme wasn't something really different or unique, but the way you wrote it down, I guess, is what I liked.

I feel that the last two lines of your poem, that is, the ending- Why did you leave me?
What did you gain?- could have been better. The ending could have been ....more powerful, I guess. Still, nice work :D

Please don't feel offended or anything. I think that you did a great job here, but I am just giving my suggestions.

Keep writing, stay amazing :D :D

StoryWeaver13 wrote a review...

Meh...if I'm to be frank, I'm a little surprised that this has been featured.

That's not to say that this is a bad poem, but it certainly isn't anything new. The rhyme scheme is a little maudlin, the idea's overworked, and it steps over the line of cliche more than once. It's not a bad poem, it's just...tired.

I would've liked to see you step out of the box and do something different. Perhaps it's just not my cup of tea, but I found it as a whole unsatisfying.

Keep writing, and best wishes. xx

Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:51 am
spinelli wrote a review...

Uh, I like it. Kind of surprisingly so, actually, because I'm not real big on structure, and this poem is so structured it seems retro-fitted. [I learned that word in science class.] Anyway, so I liked it. There's one thing though, this guy, that I'm not as fond about:

"You changed your mind though.
Decided I was wasn't worth it to you.
You crushed my heart with your hands,
and there was nothing I could do"

because I think "Decided I wasn't worth it to you" is just too long, or incorrect somehow syntactically. Compared in particular to the companion stanzas, I feel it's ever so slightly out of place. Not overwhelmingly so, but in poetry, these often must go through a refining state.

Additionally, I must mention my impression of the diction considering, well, I dunno. Words are important. So, I get the jist of the poem, it's very outright, simple diction. Nothing is truly out of the ordinary with this poem, so truthfully, I can't say this poem is something extraordinary. I can't call it show-stopping, but it's a good one. I'll nod my head thoughtfully and snap at the end of it because, dang it, that was pretty alright. *nods head and snaps*

So I think what I'm saying is that although it wasn't exceptional, there was something very nice about it. It was a good poem. I like it. Keep on doing what you're doing.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:23 am
MrAlwins wrote a review...

Definitely an emotional piece. It isn't easy wrapping up your feelings into a few letters and words, but that's what I love about poems. Especially yours. Great work, and though I know the message is bitter, it forces me to think about your situation and put me into your shoes. Following what GeeLyria said, the only issues I found were with punctuation. The content is great and i enjoyed the read. Just remember the little stuff to polish it off! :)

+Alwins

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:58 am
AsortedNoise wrote a review...

Overall it was really good. I could feel the emotion behind the words you wrote. Keep writing.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:57 am
GeeLyria wrote a review...

Hi there, aouther2b!

Being totally honest here, this is one of the best poems I've read on this site. It made me feel so welcome as a reader; it even sounds like a song when I read it aloud. I need to congratulate you, because I'm usually picky when it comes to poetry, and you have done a Fantastic job! I loved every single word of it.

However, I don't appreciate the lack of uniformity when it comes to the punctuation. I noticed you punctuate properly in some stanzas, but it is not consistent; as if you forgot you needed to punctuate all the sentences. That's the only thing I have to criticize. I suggest you to read your piece over again, looking forward to find a home for those little missing commas. ;] If you do that, you will show you really know what you're doing when you write a poem. And trust me, that's something you want to show to whoever reads your writings (whether if it's a professor, a normal reader, an editor, or your mom). :)

I hope I've expressed myself correctly. However, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me. <3

~GeeLyria

Uh, Lisa, the whole reason we have elected officials is so we don't have to think all the time. Just like that rainforest scare a few years back: our officials saw there was a problem and they fixed it, didn't they?
— Homer Simpson