z

Young Writers Society



Transmogrification - ch 2

by anime-girl13


Ch 2 - A Startling Reality

We coasted into town just as the sun reached its peak. Sweat collected on my brow and back as I wheeled my bike to a stand and fastened it to the pole. I stretched, getting feeling back in my hands and feet, and waited for Kai to finish fastening his. Once he straightened up I asked, “So, what are you going to do in town?”

“Oh, I need to pick up some food, so I am glad you came.”

“Fine, I’ll help. But, keep in mind, I am not your pack mule.” I said, poking him in the chest for emphasis. He brushed my hand away and, with a smile, said, “Darn. So close. What are you going to do?” I pulled the stone out of my pocket and said, “I’m going to see how much this is worth.”

“Woah! What is that? A diamond?”

And as he reached to touch it, I slipped it into my hand and lightly cuffed him on the head with my fist. “That’s what I’m here to find out, dummy.” And, with that, I turned my back to him and started down the street, my hand raised in a farewell.

I waited, tapping my fingers on the glass case, as the jeweler went into his back room to examine the stone. A minute later, he came out shaking his head, his ‘hair’ (I think it was a wig) slightly waving on his head. “I can tell you that it is not a precious, expensive jewel, but I can’t tell you what it is. In order for that, you would have to go to someone with more expertise.”

“That’s okay. I just wanted to know if it was worth selling or not. But now that I know that it is not, I was wondering, can you put it on a chain or something.” He nodded, “Yes. I can even wrap the stone onto the necklace for you.”

“That’s be great. How much would it be?”

“Only about $20.”

“Okay, I’ll take it.” I said, removing the said amount of money from my pocket and placing it on the counter between us. He took it and put it in his register, and then walked back into his back room to begin making the necklace, throwing over his shoulder, “It will only take five minutes, so you can just wait.” So, once again, I had to entertain myself by tapping my fingers on the counter.

Then I heard the bell hung over the door ring. I looked behind me. There stood Kai, with about four bags in each hand, opening the door with his back. “Hey, Wesley,” A blood vessel popped in my head. “I though I would find you here, so I decided to see how you were faring.” I didn’t believe it in the slightest and showed him so by staring at him with a blank expression. “You just wanted me to carry some bags for you, didn’t you?”

“Um… well… that is… if your willing to.” He said, squirming under my gaze. I rolled my eyes and was about to reply when the jeweler came out of the room, the stone now wrapped to a necklace. He handed it to me and said, gruffly, “Come again.” I nodded, mumbled thanks, and, when passing Kai, removed the four bags out of his right hand, leaving the store.

Kai walked behind me, beaming, since he no longer had to carry as many bags. I stopped at a crosswalk and placed my bags down. Twisting open the torpedo clasp on the necklace, I put it around my neck, twisting the two halves together once again. The stone glimmered in the sun, as though it approved that it had not been sold. For all I knew, that could very well be true. “So… I’m guessing it wasn’t valuable?” I shook my head. “You don’t look disappointed though. Why is that?” I opened my mouth, meaning to tell him about that morning, how the stone changed shape, but then realized how stupid that would sound and just shrugged my shoulders instead. The crosswalk light changed, signaling that it was okay to go, and I picked up my bags again, this time two in each hand, and continued towards our bikes.

At this time, Kai decided that it would be best to completely change the subject, “Say, did you hear? A meteorite landed near where we live!” Well, at least he THOUGHT he was changing the subject. I looked away so he wouldn’t see through me lie. “Nope, didn’t hear of it.” He didn’t buy it though and continued to prod me with another question. “Don’t you think it’s amazing that none of us woke up to investigate?” This time, he actually prodded physically with his elbow. Hard. “Yep, that’s amazing.” I replied, still keeping my face turned from his and rubbing the sore spot on my arm.

“Oh, you’re no fun.” He said. I looked over at him to see his lips pursed in what I guess he thought was an annoyed look. It just made his look like a demented cow and I had to try hard not to laugh. Finally, after what seemed like the longest, most irritating walk I had ever taken in my 16 year old life, we reached our bikes. I almost sighed in relief. So, after putting two bags on each handle bar, I swung my leg over my bike and began to bike back home. Unfortunately, the ride back was all uphill. Oh, joy.

When we got back to our homes, we said goodbye by nodding our heads, without exchanging a word, and entered our separate houses. My house was dead silent because my dad was still at work, so I had a lot of time to figure out this stone. I remembered when it shaped itself. It was like it knew what I was thinking. Maybe it was alive. I closed my eyes, breathed in and out and concentrated… and concentrated… and concentrated. I was about to give up when I heard, “You’ll never get to understand and talk to me, if you just sit there, looking like you are constipated.” I yelped and fell out of my chair, landing with a bang. The stone sighed and continued, “Was that really necessary?”

“Well, considering an inanimate object is talking to me, yes, I think it was.”

“You’re the one that tried to communicate with me.”

“I didn’t expect you to answer.”

“Why not?”

“Why not!? Because you’re a lump of a rock, that’s why!”

“…That hurt my feelings you know… I think I’m going to go cry now.”

“You’re a rock. You don’t cry.”

He/It sighed again. “Anyways, to continue from earlier, my name is-“

“You have a name?” I interrupted, making he/it sigh once more. Man, this stone could win a sighing contest. “Of course I have a name you imbecile. Everything has a name, even the smallest speck of dirt. Now would you shut up and let me finish!?” I held up my hand defensively and said, nervously, “Sure, continue.” He/It cleared its throat (it has a throat?!) and did, indeed, continue… “For the love of- STOP CALLING ME AN IT!!!” Somewhat…


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 234 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 1844
Reviews: 14

Donate
Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:44 pm
anime-girl13 says...



Thanks for helping me! I am really grateful! :D




User avatar
202 Reviews


Points: 14895
Reviews: 202

Donate
Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:37 pm
Pretty Crazy wrote a review...



:lol: I like your writing style! It's very characteristic. Your idea looks original. But may I point out a few things?
1. Everything is a bit rushed, describing things will slow it down a little, and at the same time, making the story more vivid.
2. Start a new paragraph whenever a new person speaks. It makes it easier to read and less bunched together.

I didn't see any spelling or grammatical errors so I'm not going to do those. To be honest, I think you still have a lot to improve on (but who doesn't!). Your story is good, it's not cliche so that's a treat. I'm definitely going to read any upcoming chapters. I hope I was helpful and not harsh. :D Keep writing OK?





“Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”
— L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables