The First Encounter

by ambitious123

Escape. That's what they both needed. What they both craved for. At that exact moment in time when their lives were just beginning to shatter again, the first thing they both desired for was escape. What he needed was to take a break from his own suffocating household and what she needed was to find comfort from anything and everything other than an actual human being. Maybe she thought that she was able to find this comfort within nature itself because human beings were just always disappointing. It's strange to think that she knew exactly where she wanted to escape to and he just searched for somewhere peaceful with no clue where his legs would eventually take him. Yet they still found eachother, there, at that exact moment in time. On a cool summer evening. Anyone would have assumed that it was just a regular day, but for those two lonely souls it was something else. He watched her staring into the water. Maybe she was just staying at her reflection, he thought. Deep down however he knew that wasn't true. It was the way she looked into the river. As if she was trying to find something. She didn't even seem to feel his presence until just when he sat right next to her and stared into the river aswell. The relaxing silence seemed to be enough for both of them for a while. Both of them thinking about their lives and wondering what the future would hold now. "Is your story worse than mine?" he asked suddenly after about ten minutes. Her head turned to look directly into his eyes, his voice finally breaking the trance she was in. Her light green eyes startled him. They gave off a frightening vibe at first, but beneath all of that cold mystery he could tell that she was broken. Very broken. "Everyone's story is different. Mine might be worse than yours but you will never see it that way because of your own," she stated matter of factly. She immediately looked straight back into the water as if nothing had happened. "Well," he said. "how about we listen to eachothers stories and make a judgement anyway? Let's see whose story sucks more eh?" She looked back at him curiously. Even after all these years when he sits down and remembers that moment he could have sworn that she even gave him a smile. A small, faint smile, but a smile nonetheless. "Kai," he said being the one to break the silence yet again. "My name is Kai and I'll tell you my story first"

"Arabella," she said softly, almost like she was trying to whisper. "My name is Arabella and I'll make sure to listen. To every word. I promise"

-----------------------------------------

Hey guys, please tell me what you think of this. I feel like it may be the prologue for something bigger but I could really do with some feedback. Thanks!

Well...that was...really sweet there for a prologue, most prologues that I tend to run into on this site have something to do with general death, sadness or at the very least some harrowing mystery so this was a refreshing start to the day here, starting things with something that's actually kind of sweet.

Soo...lemme start things out with the content of the prologue here, and well as far as that's concerned I love this...its promising so much to come, definitely sounds like the start of a great novel, and then it manages to capture the feeling of two lost souls sort of somehow running into each other and settling into comfort each other somehow there....that promise at the end especially seems like a pact sealed for them to help each other through their own respective life stories that don't appear to be too great from what is hinted at here. At any rate, this is an exciting place to start a prologue, and I would love to read on from here if this was indeed the start of a novel. It certainly leaves you with a big ol' smile on your face at the end of it, and what more can you ask...xD

Hmm....now then we come to the bit of concern I have on this...and that is the giant first paragraph, I mean practically this whole thing is just one paragraph, there's one small couple of lines after it but...I really think that big paragraph needs to be split up into a couple of parts at the very least and ideally around four parts ish to make it flow smoother and just make it easier for someone to actually read the thing...but yupp...that is pretty much all the concerns that I really have about this thing here. :D

RippleGylf wrote a review...

Hello! Ripple here, ready to review. :D

This definitely does feel like a prologue to a larger novel. I'd love to see where this story goes.

Escape. That's what they both needed. What they both craved for. At that exact moment in time when their lives were just beginning to shatter again, the first thing they both desired for was escape. What he needed was to take a break from his own suffocating household and what she needed was to find comfort from anything and everything other than an actual human being. Maybe she thought that she was able to find this comfort within nature itself because human beings were just always disappointing. It's strange to think that she knew exactly where she wanted to escape to and he just searched for somewhere peaceful with no clue where his legs would eventually take him.

You repeat "escape" a lot, which feels a bit arbitrary after a while. This beginning also feels very disjointed, jumping back and forth between the two characters. It also feels strangely formulaic.
Yet they still found eachother, there, at that exact moment in time. On a cool summer evening. Anyone would have assumed that it was just a regular day, but for those two lonely souls it was something else. He watched her staring into the water. Maybe she was just staying at her reflection, he thought. Deep down however he knew that wasn't true. It was the way she looked into the river. As if she was trying to find something. She didn't even seem to feel his presence until just when he sat right next to her and stared into the river aswell.

This transition into staring at the river is jarring. How did they get there? They've suddenly gone from being abstract to sitting at a river. A few proofreading errors, mainly spaces between words.
The relaxing silence seemed to be enough for both of them for a while. Both of them thinking about their lives and wondering what the future would hold now. "Is your story worse than mine?" he asked suddenly after about ten minutes. Her head turned to look directly into his eyes, his voice finally breaking the trance she was in. Her light green eyes startled him. They gave off a frightening vibe at first, but beneath all of that cold mystery he could tell that she was broken. Very broken. "Everyone's story is different. Mine might be worse than yours but you will never see it that way because of your own," she stated matter of factly. She immediately looked straight back into the water as if nothing had happened. "Well," he said. "how about we listen to eachothers stories and make a judgement anyway? Let's see whose story sucks more eh?"

One thing I do have to say is that I love this premise of the battle of the worst stories, and the fact that he recognizes that she is broken. Very good. :D
She looked back at him curiously. Even after all these years when he sits down and remembers that moment he could have sworn that she even gave him a smile. A small, faint smile, but a smile nonetheless.

The brief one-sentence-long time travel is very jarring. Why do we need this information now? Would it fit better in an Epilogue? It jerks the reader out of this precious moment and into a meaningless moment ages away.
"Kai," he said being the one to break the silence yet again. "My name is Kai and I'll tell you my story first"

I love this dialogue. Very emotionally charged. However, this is the only paragraph break in the whole work. While I agree that this is a good breaking point, I think the rest of this prologue needs to be split up a bit. Having one huge paragraph is a bit of a puzzle at first glance, especially as it is not consistently coherent.

Overall, I thought this was a nice little work that could be expanded upon, and I can't wait to see where it goes next. Keep writing!

MayaM wrote a review...

I thought this was really good, I didn't have a lot of suggestions for plot. There were several grammatical mistakes I'd like to point out though. In the first line you say "What they both craved for." Now I could be wrong here, but I think it would just be "What they both craved." No for. "The first thing they both desired for" seems a bit off, maybe something like "The thing they both desired most" would be more clear? You have a few spacing issues, where two words are put together, so if you just read through it again you should be able to find those. "Just when he sat right next to her" I feel like the just doesn't belong there maybe, but it's all about your personal writing style. Sorry that I'm just offering all this nit-picky stuff, the plot and writing didn't seem to have much wrong with it. I really hope this is just the prologue, because I would love to hear more! Let me know if you write any more, I would gladly read it. Great job!

ambitious123 says...

Thank you so much! I completely understand where you're coming from and I really appreciate the feedback. I've made some changes to the prologue recently and I'll post that up soon before I continue. Thanks again:)

ambitious123 says...

"Now I realize that there is no righteous path, it’s just people trying to do their best in a world where it is far too easy to do your worst."
— Castiel