???-Part 2

by alwaysawriter

I wrote all this during 5th period, when I was in gym. I was inches away from people playing basketball so I'm sorry if its a little sloppy. As of the names, I'm still working on them. The man and the woman's names are not permanent. Sorry, I had to rush at the ending. Comments and suggestions are welcome. As for the town Why Not, I'm pretty sure its real; my Social Studies teacher talked about it today.

________________________________________________________________________

I get as far as the gas will take me a few miles past Why Not. By a few miles, I mean more than ten. The truck starts to slow down and I pull over to the grassy side.

I'm on a back-country road, which is the only way to get anywhere or no where in North Carolina. I haven't seen another car for the past twenty or thirty miles, unless you count the one car I saw passing through Why Not. It wasn't a real car either, just simply the postman's car with no doors. I've often wondered, passing through here on trips with Court late into the night, why the postman even needs a car; the town population is barely 200.

The minute the car crashes, I start to push it. I figure I won't get any help since no one else would be on a back-country road at 3 AM in the dead of winter so I grab my coat and cell phone in the process.

In three hours, I've only pushed the truck two miles. Thankfully, the sun is comming up. I take my camera out of my car and take a picture of the area eight or so miles outside Why Not.

A truck with a tow-attacher pulls over, comming from the opposite direction. To my surprise, its a man and a woman-the woman thirty years younger than the man.

The man speaks first, as soon as they both get out and start to walk toward me.

"Havin' some trouble there, misses?" He asks. "Yes sir." I answer without hesitation. "Well,we'd be mighty glad to help." the woman says with a warm smile.

They help me load my truck into the back of their truck and squeeze me in the jumper seat of their truck.

"We'll take you back to Why Not and help you get some gas at Bingle's." The man, who had not yet told me his name, said to me. I nodded. "Oh, I'm sorry; we didn't catch your name and I'm mighty sure you didn't catch ours. I'm Christine Hardeswell and this is my father, Jacob." I introduce myself then too but don't tell her my plans,

We ride there in silence.

alwaysawriter says...

From now on, in order for a message to be counted as a review, it must be 250 characters long. Since the average word is 5 characters long, that'd mean about 50 words. However, since spaces, commas, periods, and everything else is counted too, it really only means about 40 words.

For most people, this won't be a big deal. For others, it means "This was great!" is no longer counted as a review.

Also, as a quick note, review spamming is not tolerated. People who do this have their review counts reset to zero.

This only counts for reviews. This does not count for posts or points, which function the same as always.

There is your answer, Heather. Its under Information under the community forums.

alwaysawriter says...

Thanks. I knew it was a little short; it looked a whole lot bigger when I was writing in a notebook. I worked on some of Part 3 today--after finishing my 2nd period exam and a little while we watched Alvin and the Chipmunks in gym (they wouldn't let us go into the gym unless we were actually going to PLAY basketball) but the light was bad; at the moment, its barely a notebook page, which would translate to being even shorter here. I'm trying to divide it into sections, you know: Part 1, The Introduction; Part 2, The Trip. Part 3 will be Why Not, explaining about the town and everything, at least in her point of view; I have yet to find anything online about the town. As of the rest of the parts, I don't really know.
Heather, listen to the people okay? I have no idea how long it has to be to be considered a review but I think it has to be more than or around three lines.

Demeter wrote a review...

Hmmm. First of all, it was really... short. Possibly this can't be the whole chapter? Or are you even posting this in chapters? So now I'm going to copy the whole thing and add my advice in bold.

I get as far as the gas will take me a few miles past Why Not. The first sentence feels a bit awkward. By a few miles, I mean more than ten. unnecessary; why don't you just put "more than ten miles away" in the first sentence? The truck starts to slow down and I pull over to the grassy side.

I'm on a back-country road, which is the only way to get anywhere or no where in North Carolina. I haven't seen another car for the past twenty or thirty miles, unless you count the one car I saw passing through Why Not. It wasn't a real car either, just simply the postman's car with no doors. What? I've often wondered, passing through here on trips with Court late into the night, why the postman even needs a carthe town population is barely 200. It would be better to put "two hundred or so" or something.

The minute the car crashes, I start to push it. This makes no sense. She can't start pushing the car if she's inside it. I figure I won't get any help since no one else would be on a back-country road at 3 AM in the dead of winter so I grab my coat and cell phone in the process. Some punctuation would make this more comfortable to read.

In three hours, I've only pushed the truck two miles. Only?Thankfully, the sun is comonly one mming up. I take my camera out of my car and take a picture of the area eight or so miles outside Why Not.

A truck with a tow-attacher pulls over, comonly one mming from the opposite direction. To my surprise, it's a man and a womansome space here-as well as herethe woman thirty years younger than the man. How can she know the age difference if she doesn't know the people?

"Havin' some trouble there, misses?" He asks. Uncapitalize the "h" and start a new paragraph after "asks"."Yes sir." I answer without hesitation. "Well,spacewe'd be mighty glad to help," the woman says with a warm smile.

They help me load my truck into the back of their truck and squeeze me in the jumper seat of their truck. Too many "trucks" here

"We'll take you back to Why Not and help you get some gas at Bingle's." the man, who had not yet told me his name, said to me. We do know the man hasn't told his name; no need to tell it. I nodded. "Oh, I'm sorry; we didn't catch your name and I'm mighty sure you didn't catch ours. I'm Christine Hardeswell and this is my father, Jacob." I introduce myself then too but don't tell her my plans.

We ride there in silence. You mean, to Why Not?

And, as for angelcat, chat speak is not allowed in YWS. Besides, if you want your message to counted as a review, you need to actually review it, not just "cute i loved this" or whatever. Check the rules and guides etc. for more info.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:24 am
alwaysawriter says...

Thanks Heather. I wasn't really sure about how fast someone could push a truck anyway. I'll change it. As of dirt roads, there are plently of them in North Carolina; they're just not anywhere near where we're from. I mean, Hannah lives in that tiny town near wherever; I'm pretty sure there are some dirt roads there. There's some dirt roads in that town that Dad dragged Mom and I to a reinactment too--you know, the one where I said that people are so much nicer there than they are here? I can't think of its name, though. Anyway, thanks.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:13 am
angelcat2958 wrote a review...

cute but i think you got that whole pushing the truck part wrong cuz it ou can push a truck two miles in 3 hours im pretty sure you'd have to be really strong and anway i want this to caount as a review, does nyone no how long it has to be to be counted as a review anyway i think it was good, short but good i know your not finished, and um i dont know what north carolina our in, i know its not the northcarolina i grew up in cuz i never once saw a dirt road in north carolina still its creative and origonal and bla bla watever a smart person would write about this.

Remember: the plot is nothing more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations.
— Ray Bradbury