I'll Always Be Weak

by alwaysawriter

Alright, so I kind of wrote this on a whim. I showed it to June, who encouraged me to post it. Have at it. I hope you like it. :)

**

I know what you see me as. You see me how you've always seen me. Weak. Shy. Nerdy. In the past few months, you've added a new word to what you think of me: scared. You see what you never saw before: the girl who is terrified of people, who goes to therapy, and who has thought about suicide. I told you too much. I ran to you when I was alone and so scared that all I wanted to do was hide away from people, even after you'd broken my heart. I trusted you and you questioned why I did. You didn't deny that everything I said to you was sent around the school and I hated you for that.

A lot of times, I wish you'd walk in my shoes. I want you to feel the way I've felt every day for as long as I can remember until recently. Feel those eyes bearing down on you. Feel sick because of all of the people. Feel the pain of a girl who has never fit in.

I remember wishing to be like you. Everyone loves you. Your charm and jokes hook every girl in the room, hook, line, and sinker. You even put me at ease when I got to know you. ME. The girl who couldn't sit on the porch without extreme anxiety. I admit it, I feel for your charm. I looked forward to the class I had with you just because you made me laugh harder than anyone else ever has. Around you, in that class, I felt human--not like some freak who struggled in her classes and who had intense anxiety--I felt special.

Looking back, I knew your flaws all along. You were arrogant and cared for no one but yourself. You didn't care about me. The "Everything's going to be okay,"'s meant nothing. I don't even know why you pretended because you didn't pretend when I lectured you online. There was nothing confusing about "Pretend all you want but I'm just going to tell you straight up that I don't really care at all." Hurting me is an easy task but you seem to make it as easy as counting the alphabet.

Sometimes I hear random parts of conservations from you and wonder if you really do care. I wonder if there's a reason I have to censor my talking because your friends hear and report what I say back to you. I wonder if there's a reason my online blog on another site is being read by you and/or some of your close friends.

In your mind, I'll always be weak. I'll always be the person who helps little kids when they're down, the person who volunteers her time to do good, the person who is scared of you. You don't realize that I actually care about people and it's something I don't think you'll ever grasp. I'm slowly escaping that life of anxiety and that takes courage.

But, to you, I'll always be weak.

fragile_heart(!) wrote a review...

Hey!

This is my only nitpick:

I remember wishing to be like you. Everyone loves you. Your charm and jokes hook every girl in the room, hook, line, and sinker.

I liked the hook, line, and sinker. But maybe you should throw a semicolon in there. Like:
I remember wishing to be like you. Everyone loves you. Your charm and jokes hook every girl in the room; hook, line, and sinker.

Anyways, I can relate to how you feel. I have an anxiety disorder too. I think I'll spend a bit more time in this section; everyone has such interesting posts. This is probably the fifth thing I've reviewed today, because I can't stop!

PM me if you need anything. I know what it's like to have anxiety barriers in your life.

- fragile_heart(!)

Tue May 26, 2009 12:19 am
Snoink wrote a review...

I figured I would review this and get points and stuff. BECAUSE POINTS ARE AWESOME.

Anyway, so this is probably me being a grouchy adult, but I didn't really care about this piece because it didn't really go anywhere. The characters seemed to live in their own little world, separated from each other, which is really strange because people don't actually are like that? Well, maybe if they're teenagers, but I don't know. There's no progression, no movement, and it starts at the same place it ends, except it doesn't go anywhere, so that's a problem.

But that may be me speaking as an adult. XD

So yeah. This is a good introduction to a bigger conflict, but alone it slightly sucks. Expand! :D

cogito_ergo_sum wrote a review...

I really liked this.
Sadly, I know exactly how you feel.
Betrayal is the worst pain of all, that people inflict upon us.
To Hell with the guy who did this to you.
You are not weak, you are strong, and you will survive-without him.
I wish you all the luck for the future
C.E.S
xxxxx

Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:43 am
peanutgallery007 wrote a review...

This was great! Better than a lot of fiction I have read, and I love fiction. Have you though about taking the main stuff out of this and making it a poem? You could reference over to here if you do, just so people read both versions.

Just a few teeny things;

But, to you, I'll always be weak.

OK, this was a great way to end the story. I was too engrossed in reading and picturing the rest of it that I only really paid attention to flaws in the last line! (Sorry about that, but it was just so good!) Anyway, I don't like sentences that begin with "but". In fact, if my Language Arts teacher catches me doing that in a paper, I get marked for it! Why don't you replace but with yet? "Yet" sounds much better. Also, toss the first comma;

"Yet to you, I'll always be weak." The big finale!

This was a wonderful piece. I hope you have more pieces as vivid as this in store for us! :D

imapoemperson says...

I loved it! It sounded more like thoughts than words, if you know what i mean. There is not anything else i can say about it. Great job! :D

Explosive_Pen wrote a review...

Okay; I loved this. I've totally felt this way before. *Sigh*
Just some nitpicks:

Your charm and jokes hook every girl in the room, hook, line, and sinker.

That comma after room should, in my opinion, be a semicolon. Also, don't use "hook" twice in the same sentence. Maybe try captivate?

I admit it, I feel for your charm.

I think feel should be felt, since the rest of that paragraph - as well as the majority of the piece - is in past tense.

Around you, in that class, I felt human--not like some freak who struggled in her classes and who had intense anxiety--I felt special.

You don't need that em dash, dear. A simple period would do fine.

Looking back, I knew your flaws all along.

Nothing wrong here, per se. Just, I think instead of knew, it should be saw, or perhaps recognized? Or maybe realize. One of the three. Whatever floats your boat. It's just that I don't really like the use of knew here. You don't so much know a person's flaws as see them, y'know?

The "Everything's going to be okay,"'s meant nothing.

I get what you tried to do here, but it's a bit confusing. Maybe try rephrasing that?

I don't even know why you pretended, because you didn't pretend when I lectured you online. There was nothing confusing about, "Pretend all you want, but I'm just going to tell you straight up that I don't really care at all." Hurting me is an easy task, but you seem to make it as easy as counting the alphabet.

Gah! Comma use! xD And I agree with lilymoore about the "counting the alphabet" thing. People don't really count alphabets. Also, tenses! I think you should stick with past tense. You switch around a lot, and it confuses me.

Sometimes, I hear random parts of conservations from you and wonder if you really do care. I wonder if there's a reason I have to censor my talking, because your friends hear and report what I say back to you.

Ooh. Yeah, the whole messenger thing annoys me too. I mean, if he wants to talk to you, he should man up and do it himself, y'know? And not hide out like a pathetic little boy and have his friends do the dirty work for him.

I'm slowly escaping that life of anxiety, and that takes courage.

Oh my god, I absolutely love your ending! It's the kind of ending that sticks with people and makes them go, "Hey, I can relate to this!" Because you didn't finish with some deep insight. I think you actually retaliated at this guy a bit, and got a little anger going in that second to last paragraph. And the closing sentence.... Well, the way I read it, I imagined you saying it in this really cold, icy voice, which would be absolutely killer.

I think your characterization of this guy is really good. You depict him as being this sort of enemy, with his little army of sidekicks (or as Rosey more aptly put it, "goons"). But to me, it didn't seem like you were being self-pitying. It seemed like you were pitying him, and in a sort of side-ways way, accusing him of being weak. Yeah, I know that sounds a little weird and confusing, but that's how it felt to me.
The theme is powerful. I liked when you said in the second-to-last paragraph that you were slowly getting over your anxiety. Like you were getting stronger; picking yourself up after the fall. I admire that. This is really a great, inspiring piece of writing. Gold star for amazingness.

Adnamarine wrote a review...

Everyone else had wonderful advice for you, and I think they covered almost everything, grammar-wise.

A few things I don't think anyone mentioned:

I ran to you when I was alone and so scared that all I wanted to do was hide away from people, even after you'd broken my heart.
I think the end of the sentence "even after you'd broken my heart" is misplaced. Try: Even after you'd broken my heart, I still ran to you when I was alone and so scared that all I wanted to do was hide away from people.

I trusted you and you questioned why I did.
I think this could be changed to just: You questioned why I trusted you. It says both things in a more concise way.

A lot of times I've wished you would walk in my shoes.
I think...

I admit it, I feel for your charm.
Something about this sentence isn't right. Did you maybe mean "I fell for your charm"?

So, just listen to the others' advice, Jabber and Clo and the rest. This was excellently written, and once you clean up all that little bits, it will be extraordinary.

This could have read like an angsty, whiny, pity-me, I'm-so-sorry-for-myself piece; it didn't come off that way at all.*stars* I rarely star things. Need I say more?

Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:59 am
Rosendorn wrote a review...

Hiya Always! Time to get reviewing! (Also, thank you for posting on my thread!)

You didn't deny that everything I said to you was sent around the school and I hated you for that.

~ I think this sentence would read better with some sort of pause. Either a comma after "school" (possibly a dash), or replacing "and" with a period.

~ When did he send stuff around school? Was that the time he broke your heart? Or is it something else?

I want you to feel the way I've felt every day for as long as I can remember until recently.

I think this sentence would read better with a dash after "remember."

You're repeated "hook" here, and they're rather close together. Perhaps replace with "snagged"?

I admit it, I feel for your charm.

I think this would sound better as "I'll admit it," but that's up to you.

Since you're simply referring to multiple times he's said that, you don't need to appostrophy in front of the s. ;)

I don't even know why you pretended because you didn't pretend when I lectured you online.

Methinks you should mention real-life after "pretended" in the first part of this. ^_^

Hurting me is an easy task but you seem to make it as easy as counting the alphabet.

Shouldn't it be "saying the alphabet"?

~~

Description by Ommision: A very nice example of description by ommision. By saying what you do, and what he thinks of you, you're describing him just as much as you're describing yourself. I'm really pleased to see how well you've done this. ^_^

Characters: I can picture each perfectly. The leader, macho guy that all the girls love, except a handful that have actually been hurt by him. And his goons. Yeah, good job here.

Theme: Powerful. I think more girls should read this. Because really, there's always been that one guy... he seems to have it all together, charm, bravo, a player's air, but then you get to know him and he hurts you more then anybody else could ever do. I'm sure there are some guys who will argue that girls do that too, but, the words remain the same: People should read this.

Overall: This was powerful, well written, and personal yet aplicable to everybody. Need I say more?

*Gold star*

~Rosey

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:13 am

Hello, Always! Here's the critique I said I would do. Forgive me for any confusing points; I'm a little rusty. xD

Grammar [as requested]

In the past few months, you've added a new word to what you think of me: [s]scared[/s] Scared.

I capitalized it because of the previous one-word sentences. It seems to fit the pattern better. It's up to you, of course. ^_^

You see what you have never [s]saw[/s] seen before: the girl who is terrified of people, who goes to therapy, and who has thought about suicide.

It sounded better to me? I wish I knew why. The English language is so weird. xD

I told you too much. I ran to you when I was alone and was so scared that all I wanted to do was hide away from people, even after you'd broken my heart.

It's one of those conjunction rules. *shrugs* I think I remembered correctly. xD

I trusted you, <== Comma! and you questioned why I did. You didn't deny that everything I said to you was sent around the school, <== Comma! and I hated you for that.

A lot of times, I wish you'd walk in my shoes. I want you to feel the way I've felt every day for as long as I can remember [s]until recently[/s].

Clo's right in that the last two words of this destroys the meaning the sentence had/has. I think you should get rid of it completely, but if you find that rephrasing that part would be better, definitely go for that! ^^

Feel those eyes bearing down on you. Feel sick because of all of the people. Feel the pain of a girl who has never fit in.

Your parallel structure is fantastic. Like... fantastic. I love you for it. Very effective! And it's a good three sentences every time. Two is too little, four is too much (depending, of course). I love you! *snugs*

Your charm and jokes hook every girl in the room, [colon or dash instead] hook, line, and sinker.

Since you're making a list, as you've done before, use a colon here instead. ^^

You even put me at ease when I got to know you. ME.

This is the pick of all nit-picks, but is it okay to italicize me instead of capitalizing it? I mean, I know it's only two letters, but it's still BAM-weird. xD *fail*

I looked forward to the class I had with you just because you made me laugh harder than anyone else ever [s]has[/s] had.

I think? >_<

Ew, this is one of those weird how-do-I-punctuate-this-freaking-thing things. Try this: Each "everything is going to be okay" meant nothing. At least you avoid the apostrophe-S? xD Otherwise... The everything's-going-to-be-okays meant nothing. Kinda like what I did only two-ish sentences ago?

Counting the alphabet? I was about to say this is a powerful statement, but I'm unsure if you meant the sarcasm or if you were just at a loss for words. xD If the latter, try "reciting the alphabet" instead?

Sometimes I hear random parts of conservations from you and wonder if you really do care.

Conservation: n. the act of conserving; prevention of injury, decay, waste, or loss; preservation:
Conversation: n. informal interchange of thoughts, information, etc., by spoken words; oral communication between persons; talk; colloquy. :wink:

Thanks to dictionary.com.

I wonder if there's a reason my online blog [s]on another site [/s]is being read by you and/or some of your close friends.

It sounds awkward in the sentence. If you have more than one, just say one of my online blogs or some such. ^^

You don't realize that I actually care about people, <== Comma! and it's something I don't think you'll ever grasp. I'm slowly escaping that life of anxiety, <== Comma! and that takes courage.

Ooh, that's down right low. xD

But, to you, I'll always be weak.

Beautiful finish! *applauds*

This is a very strong piece. The tone is wonderful, and readers can easily relate to the narrator. It speaks like a diary entry, as Clo has said before (I feel like I repeat everything she says? xD). I think it should stay like this, and it would be even more interesting if you continued this in diary format. It's non-fiction, so I'm unsure how you'd feel about that; but as a story, it would be very fun. ^_^

I think one thing I need to point out is that it seems rather sketchy. At first you're bagging him, then you're talking about old times, and then you're dissing him at the end. xD (I thought that was fantastic, just by the way.) Perhaps transitions is what I'm thinking about? Try transitioning from one thought to another a bit better. Make it smoother. Of course, maybe that's escaping the diary idea; in which case, ignore this comment. xD

Clo's idea with the extra scenarios is good; however, it depends on how you want to structure this. Are you going to continue it into little diary entries? Or is it just this one long essay? If it's the former, definitely spread out the memories and scenarios. If it's just this piece, it's probably a must to have those memories. It's up to you! ^_^

So basically... listen to Clo/the others. Hopefully my grammar check proved worthy of your attention anyway? xD This is a very awesome (as in powerful) piece. Since this was on the successful side, try to compare this to your other writings or future writings. Maybe you'll catch something? It's a piece of advice I give to many writers, even myself. Helps me loads, and maybe it will help you too? ^_^

Jabber, the One and Only!

mikepyro wrote a review...

This was a pretty nice effort. You get some great insite into your life and you establish an easy style that a reader can follow. The piece has some genuinly emotional moments that a reader treasures in these types of works.

It reads alot like so many other downtroden stories is the only fault I can find, with a bit more style it can go beyond all these limitations. That said, this is not your fault, as a writer, simply that so many other writers put out stories similar to these.

You touch the reader and you let them bond with your words.
well done.

Mike.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:18 am
alwaysawriter says...

Thanks guys!

Here, the use of the word “hook” is redundant. I would perhaps replace the first one with “grab.”
That bothered me too. Thanks!

You bring up the anxiety a lot and here is where it seemed most noticeable.
That's exactly what I was thinking as I was writing it and I was hoping someone would give me a synoynm.

For style purposes, you should use a colon here, as technically that phrase is a list.
A colon where?

I think I'm going to make those corrections (at least the basic ones--the adding scences in may take longer) and show it to my English teacher, probably during tutoring this afternoon. I've got to be careful because this guy's brother is in my English class and will probably be at tutoring but I'll figure it out; his brother and I can actually have a nice conservation.

Thanks again!:D

-Always/Kit-Kat

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:41 am
lilymoore wrote a review...

I want to say first off that this is a wonderful piece and the meaning behind it is teeming with beautiful significance to plenty of people. And though I didn’t see anything truly incorrect with your grammar or spelling, I wanted to help bring some improvements about the piece in order to really make your point shine. :D

You see me how you've always seen me. Weak. Shy. Nerdy.

Here, where you use the word “how” try using the words “the way”. Also, “Weak. Shy. Nerdy.” could just as easily become part of a list preceded by a colon.

In the past few months, you've added a new word to what you think of me: scared.

When you use the phrase “to what you think of me:” it sounds like something has bee left out. Maybe use: “to that list of things you think of me:”

The girl who couldn't sit on the porch without extreme anxiety.

This sentence is actually a fragment. To fix this, all you would have to do is add a verb like “feeling” between “without” and “extreme.”

You bring up the anxiety a lot and here is where it seemed most noticeable. Try a word like “apprehension” or even “fear”.

I think you should probably change “counting” to something more accurate like “reciting.”

Other then those suggestions on style and flow, this wasn’t bad. In fact, I quite thoroughly enjoyed reading this because the feelings were relatable. Props!

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:40 am
Clo wrote a review...

Kit Kat!

---

A lot of times, I wish you'd walk in my shoes. I want you to feel the way I've felt every day for as long as I can remember until recently.

The end sort of changes the mood of the sentence, the "until recently". Either get rid of it, or add more, for example: "for as long as I can remember, at least until recently, when the I began to sort out some of the pieces" or any wording pertaining to dealing with the issue.

For style purposes, you should use a colon here, as technically that phrase is a list. :)

---

This is a very wrenching piece, as you put a lot of emotion into it that is clear and crisp and can be perceived through what description there is.

As it is, though, it reads as a very well-written diary entry (which is a part of non-fiction) but I believe you can expand on it, to the point of autobiographical storyline which will allow you to explore the issue even further. You can add scenes in between your thoughts, where you display a time in detail when he was making you laugh, and then a clear example of his arrogance, a clear example of the anxiety. Adding scenarios to this piece will help bring out the emotion and issue in a dramatic way, exploring both the relationship and anxiety.

But is well written, darling. I'm encouraging you to write more.

Always feel free to PM me. :)

~ Clo

100xstupid wrote a review...

:(

I feel awful now... That was incredible, but so, painfully sad. The last line was perfect, and really sums it up nicely, and the repitition from the bit at the begining was great.
*Gives gold star*
Brillient!

scaramoushe wrote a review...

I love this, I can relate to this and I enjoyed reading it. Its well written and structure is nice. It is so easy for things like this to become whiny and 2-D but this was controlled and beautifully written and had a 3 dimensional tone.

Grammatically, I couldn't see anything wrong with it. The sentence structure was good and it had a good sense of pace and it flowed nicely.

Great read, Well done!

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:28 am
chasingcolts21 wrote a review...

Like mhmmcolleenx0 said, I don't really look in here, but since I was lurking about, I seen this and decided to read it. I'm glad I did. :P

Very interesting; very sad. The emotion clearly came across. Very deep and uplifting. I didn't recognize any grammar, spelling, or structure errors. The fluency was okay. A bit choppy at times, but overall was great! Bravo!

-Colt

mhmmcolleenx0 wrote a review...

Wow. I usually don't read non-fiction but this is really good. I can't believe this is true because that's just awful that someone would do that to you. I didn't notice any spelling or grammar errors. It was really good, so...deep. And I could really feel the emotion. Great Job! *Gold Star*

Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.
— Michael McClary