Lucky Stars

by alpacaboss

I used to have this bottle when I was younger. 

I will fill it up with all the smallest trinkets and the most carefully folded lucky stars. 

When it was full, I would empty it and give some to my friends. 

The trinkets were a simple gift. The lucky stars I gave only to a few. 

But everyone loved the trinkets.

No one appreciated the stars.

They'd simply smile and put it on an abandoned place on their desk until the dust eats the paper whole.

Soon, my bottle filled up with lucky stars. No more trinkets.

And I will never let them out.

I would simply stare at it, admiring how the stars seem to squish each other in hopes of getting out. The bottle seemed to hold strong, but I know it would break soon.

One day, I accidentally knocked over the bottle.

It crashed.

Along with the shards were the small stars, pierced by the sharpness of the glass.

I quickly gathered it until my hands bled and my skin was embedded with shards,

Because I know if anyone found it out, they would simply regard those stars as trash.

Those beautiful stars.

Full of memories, mostly bittersweet, of things I kept to myself.

Only I would appreciate them, even if the bottle breaks.

And so with care, I picked each one up and hurriedly found a larger bottle to place them in.

Then I started making lucky stars again.

P.S. this is not about lucky stars.

Stickied -- Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:33 am
alpacaboss says...

Well, this is my first time trying prose poetry without explicitly putting the meaning of the poem across. Let's see how this goes and if anyone can decipher what it really means :D

For the curious and those that seek my intent with this poem, here...

The trinkets are the usual emotions we have and usually the pleasant ones. Being happy, being content, being satisfied.
The lucky stars represent all the other nuanced emotions and those felt more in depth. Everyone is willing to accept that you're happy and content. But are they willing to accept your other emotions? Are they willing to accept you when you're sad or angry or disappointed or simply in a bad mood?
You've tried before but to no avail. No one wants to accept them, so I bottle them up.
Yet you will come to a point where you accidentally let it all out. And you will hurriedly pick the emotions back again because you're used to keeping it all in, even if you hurt yourself in the process. You can differentiate between the emotions you should keep or not anymore. And thus, this poem describes the cycle of burying your emotions.

CapybarasAndCoffee wrote a review...

The poem is a nostalgic and melancholic reflection on the meaning of the lucky stars that the speaker used to make and give away. The lucky stars are a metaphor for the speaker's hopes, dreams, and emotions that were not valued or understood by others. The speaker contrasts the trinkets, which were simple and superficial gifts, with the lucky stars, which were special and personal. The speaker also uses imagery of the bottle, which represents the speaker's heart or soul, that eventually breaks under the pressure of holding too many stars. The speaker then describes the pain and urgency of collecting the broken stars and glass, which symbolize the speaker's wounds and scars. The poem ends with a paradoxical statement that the speaker will continue to make lucky stars, despite knowing that they will not be appreciated.

The poem is well-written and expressive, using vivid language and symbolism to convey the speaker's feelings and experiences. The poem also has a clear structure and rhyme scheme, which create a sense of rhythm and harmony. The poem appeals to the reader's emotions and invites them to empathize with the speaker's situation and perspective. The poem also raises some questions about the value of self-expression, the importance of recognition, and the possibility of healing.

alpacaboss says...

Wonderful interpretation! Thank you for your review!!

RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello, my friend!

I love, love, love this poem you wrote! It's a cute theme on the surface with what feels like a much deeper meaning, and you gave us so much to contemplate within those lines. I can think of many meanings behind those lucky stars in the jar, pushing to get out. Perhaps each star is a memory, a feeling, a hidden passion or talent that goes underappreciated by others, or something else entirely. A cryptic little piece of the narrator. The pieces that hurt when they get out, like shards in the skin, but they're worth holding on to. Even if no one else can understand ~

*Ahem* I'm probably off with my interpretations, lol, but as far as a more technical review could go, I have no complaints to make! I didn't see any errors, and the poem has a wonderful structure.

One of my favorite parts was also the ending:

The sense of progress and moving on here was a nice way to sum up the piece. You can't stop the stars!!

Overall, great poem! I gave you a follow in hopes of seeing more someday ~ Nicely done! :)

alpacaboss says...

Glad you enjoy it! I'm also glad everyone was quite close to the original intent but still wonderfully different in their interpretations hehe
I was going more for emotions and "bottling" them up if you know what I mean. But I appreciate your interpretations too! Thanks for your review! :>

miablue24 says...

Great poem! And hmm, it really makes me think. (P.S this is not about lucky stars) ?? I'm guessing that this is about you, as a person, giving people your all and them not appreciating it... at least that's what I'm interpreting. Let me know if I'm correct! Or, if not, what's the correct answer? Overall, good job!

alpacaboss says...

Glad you enjoyed it!! Yes, admittedly, this is quite related to some real-life experiences. I like your interpretation of how the person is not appreciated cause it also works really well with the story. I was going for more on the emotions, specifically "bottling" them up, if you get what I mean. I think the rest should be a bit self-explanatory from there hehe...But I appreciate your interpretations too! Thanks for commenting! :>

Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:09 am
OrabellaAvenue wrote a review...

Hi there! This is Orabella, here with a review!

Once again, you have gifted us with amazing poetry! But this time, it's a little different. How come you're so talented at this?? Everything I've read by you is absolutly amazing!

I kind of feel like not having the meaning plainly obvious is a little better... it can make the poem more up for interpretation and let the reader try to fully understand it better rather than knowing the meaning and then moving on. It's a different approach than what you normally do, and you pulled it off really well!

You should know that I'm horrible at deciphering meanings, especially in poetry, so I may blurt out a bunch of nonsense on what I think it could mean. ^^

I feel like there are a lot of things the lucky stars could represent, but maybe they could mean love. Maybe the person has loved many people in different ways, but not all of them felt the same way back, and didn't notice or appreciate the love the narrator gave them? And the bottle breaking could represent a broken heart.

You know, I feel like the meaning behind this is so close I could just reach out and touch it, but it feels just out of reach. The lucky stars are important - more important to the narrator than a lot of other things - but they're not viewed the same way by others. I'm trying to think of examples of that but my mind's coming up blank...

This whole poem makes me feel just so... sad and somewhat hopeless, but at the same time hopeful? Like, the bottle broke, but you picked up the pieces. They didn't appreciate it as much as you, but you can still see and admire them. It's... bittersweet.

And the way you portrayed that emotion so vividly and yet so simply is amazing. There are so many layers to this poem, even while most of it is talking about an inanimate object.

Maybe it can represent life? Like, the lucky stars are stories - are a part of the narrator, and they start out by sharing it with others, but the others don't appreciate it, and maybe the trinkets are compliments to them or something. Eventually, the narrator stops sharing those stories, but still keeps them close? Even when life gets in the way and breaks everything, the narrator still picks up the pieces of what they hold dear. That's another idea, I guess. :D

Even if I couldn't guess the meaning, this is genuinely so good! I love this poem; it is literally now one of my favorites. ^^ What meaning were you intending for this? Maybe I got lucky and was close.

Thank you so much for writing this and sharing it, too! Your writing is absolutly amazing I think I'm going to go read more of your work that I unfortunately haven't read yet. Please have an amazing day/night, and keep writing!

alpacaboss says...

Glad you enjoyed it!! You were actually quite close. Yes it does involve emotions, but more specifically "bottling" them up, if you get what I mean. I think the rest should be a bit self-explanatory from there hehe...But I appreciate your interpretations too! They fit quite well with the prose :>

Ohhh, bottling them up! That's so clever! Okay, well, I like this poem even more now - it has so much more meaning and it's still beautifully written. :)

alpacaboss says...

The world is your oyster. Well, it’s my oyster, but you can have some of it.
— Feltrix