z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

summer's last breath

by alliyah


(Author's Note: I was inspired by two previous poems I wrote in July of 2019 & 2020, and incorporated some of their expressions in this poem. All capitalization and punctuation choices were intentional. Thank you for reading!

Edit: Adding a little recording here just for fun, because there's  a lot rhyme & whitespace in here which makes it fun to read -> https://voca.ro/1ei8wlGtMyPl )


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
455 Reviews


Points: 22098
Reviews: 455

Donate
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:45 am
View Likes
Hijinks wrote a review...



Hi alliyah! I thought I'd come give this delightful poem of yours a bump out of the Green Room!

So I've been staring at this poem for several minutes now, trying to figure out what it reminds me of, and I've just realized what it is: the way it's formatted visually looks a lot like the bark on a birch tree to me.

Spoiler! :
Image

Especially the fact that it's set up as one long vertical column adds to that effect, as well. I'm not sure that was on purpose - it does tie into the driftwood image, but other than that trees aren't featured too heavily and certainly not birch trees specifically. Regardless though, when I noticed that it made me smile, because I have a lot of positive memories associated with birch bark c: The indentation also has the effect of making it seem like words are jumping away from the reader, out of reach, which reflects the topic very nicely.

In terms of interpretation, I found this poem to be fairly direct. The narrator talks a lot about how they have a tendency to grow attached to people, things, places, that always end up leaving them. And to make matters worse, they seem to be aware that this is going to happen well before it does, which makes it all the more painful when someone or something leaves and they know it's their fault they let themself grow attached in the first place. If I were to read a bit farther into it/project my personal experiences, I feel like the poem also touches on that the fact that self-awareness alone doesn't save you from anything; just because the narrator knows they do this, knows it will happen, doesn't stop the things in their life from leaving.

I think the line(s) "i am afraid i'm only here today with the fireflies & will be gone tomorrow with the sand" adds a really interesting second dimension, which is that the narrator feels like their identity and existence is tied in some meaningful way to the things they fall in love with. When the fireflies leave, for example, the narrator thinks a part of themself does as well. So there's a thread of codependency/lack of individuality in the poem too I think.

If I may just gush about little details for a second! "ghost-steps" is so evocative oh my goodness. I'm a sucker for joining words with a dashes in poetry and this is no exception. Also the use of &'s instead of 'and's is a lovely little poetic touch - it doesn't feel overused, either, and the way that it always appears at the start of an indented phrase makes me feel like it's a chain link that's trying to bridge the gap if that makes any sense at all. Also the rhyming! Makes the poem feel so much more melodic, and I like how subtle it is and how it's visually hidden because of the formatting. I think this could be really beautiful if read aloud; and it would be a cool opportunity to see how you could incorporate the sense of white space orally.

Critique-wise: this is excruciatingly nitpicky, so I would like to preemptively say I don't really have any major critiques at all! But I wanted to do my best to give some kind of constructive criticism regardless xD

This is actually something you mentioned in a review to me I believe? but it's that if you use some kind of text formatting whether that be italics, underlining, bold, all-caps somewhere in a poem, it's really gonna stand out if you don't use that same formatting choice at other points in the poem. Which is the case with "they know" right at the start of the poem. Not necessarily a bad thing if you feel that's a really important phrase, but I personally feel like the fireflies knowing the narrator's habits isn't the biggest plot point for this poem. <.< So potentially incorporating italics in a couple other places could make it feel more natural for the poem!

I have genuinely scoured my brain for like 20 minutes and I can't think of anything else to improve upon...so I feel like anything at this point I do critique would be majorly contrived. So I'm going to end my review here - but if there's anything you'd like me to elaborate on or something specific you wanted feedback on that I didn't cover, let me know!

Best,
hatch




alliyah says...


Hey hatch! This was such a motivating & helpful review! Thank you a bunch; it actually makes me love this poem more! :]

Re: whitespace -> I've been seeing a lot of modern poets do this lately where they have whitespace mid-line; so thought I'd try it out. And I thought for a poem about sort intangibility / breaths it'd go nicely with the imagery and give a bit of a "fleeting" feeling to the poem- like the reader can't hold on to the line/thought. It also helped me highlight some phrase & word repetition too, which was fun! But I love your driftwood / wood-grain interpretation too!

Interpretation -> Yes to all that, exactly right! I was going for a bit of a poetic/mature take on "ghosting-culture" & "summer-flings" etc.

Also the rhyming! Makes the poem feel so much more melodic, and I like how subtle it is and how it's visually hidden because of the formatting. I think this could be really beautiful if read aloud; and it would be a cool opportunity to see how you could incorporate the sense of white space orally.

Thank you very much! <totally adding a recording now for fun>

Italics -> Ah! You're right! I was really just trying to get out of using quotation marks there; but it might be interesting to use italics in a second spot like in the phrase "who will find the sun" because it'd make it seem like the fireflies were /also/ saying that. :)

Thanks again for the terrific review!



Hijinks says...


Oh I just listened to your recording and I love it!! The way you pause during the white space has such a cool effect, and creates a slower pace to the poem overall which I really enjoyed (since a lot of spoken poetry can feel really intense in that it gets fast and loud for the drama). The pause after "& i am afraid" was my favourite </3



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 525
Reviews: 9

Donate
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:31 am
View Likes
phantasm wrote a review...



Hello there! Saw this poem a couple of days ago and wanted to look at it deeper and share my thoughts, hope you don't mind! :]

First of all, I think it's really cool how you've taken inspiration from past poems you've written and created a whole new piece! I love the theme of impermanence expressed throughout the poem - I think generally this is a topic closely relatable to me, so I could connect well as a reader to it. In that same vein, I really liked the choice of imagery as a whole; including imagery like the ocean tide, ghost-steps, and fireworks was a clever way of establishing the theme of impermanence, as those all seem like relatively short-lived things.

Also! I loved the rhythmic wording of certain areas in the poem. That, mixed with the particular formatting you have going on, really played well into the overall flow of the poem altogether. Areas in particular I saw this: "i'm just trying to catch up with / the light, between all / these stars & the infinite / night, / because if i don't run, / then who will / find the sun?" Where "light" and "night" and "run" and "sun" rhyme respectively. Just thought I would mention it because it was noticeable while reading and enhanced the flow, whether intentional or not!

One thing that stuck out to me was the line: "until i've left before / he's already / gone" as it seemed to hint toward the speaker's potential/past love interest, which ties into this idea of impermanence but definitely adds a whole new layer of specificity that doesn't exactly feel like it's revisited later on? I'm not really sure, but I guess I'm conflicted about what role it plays in the piece as a whole, especially because it leaves me wondering who "he" is - a love interest? Something more abstract?

Back on the topic of formatting, I think what you have here is really interesting and I can tell there was intent behind the format. I can see the indentations within the lines and breaks as serving a role towards hinting at impermanence/that inevitable transition between seasons/periods of time, whether they are expected and welcome or not.

Overall, I really like the journey this poem took throughout the piece, as the speaker goes through a sort of self-realization about moving on and accepting that (or maybe more coming to terms with it, and reflecting on that). There's a complex internal conflict the speaker is sharing, and they are thinking of the future in a timid, almost fearful way. I like the nuance of the speaker reflecting the transient nature of the world with the poetic language - I think that strikes a beautiful balance the ties the poem together.

Hopefully one of my comments was helpful! Most of it consisted of randomly assorted thoughts, so definitely take everything with a pinch of salt!

- figmoon




alliyah says...


A bit late, but thank you so much for the terrific and thoughtful review! Definitely encouraging & helpful. :) I'm glad that the formatting highlighted some of the repetition & rhyming too! I've wanted to play with internal white-space for a while since I see a lot of modern poets doing that online recently. I was hoping in addition that to the sound emphasis that the extra space would make the poem feel kind of less concrete and wispy which seemed to get across too!

Good point on the line clarifying the "he" not really concretely circling back at the end - in my mind this was all sort of about a person who doesn't commit to anything because everything is so impermanent, and at the same time they seem to love what is fleeting - and this expresses itself most sadly within relationships - they leave people/partners too soon, because they know ultimately if they don't leave then they'll be left by them. I tried to hint at the modern concept of "ghosting" with the ghost-steps line, but I think that could have been expanded upon too! They'd like to become more rooted down (commit) but they're afraid they're not ready for it.

Anyways, thank you very much for your reflections and thoughts! :)



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144125
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:31 am
View Likes
alliyah says...



And here's the two previous poems that this one was inspired by in case people are curious! Adding under spoiler.

Spoiler! :
Image





Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
— Miles Kington