Hope Through the Years

by ajruby12

This is an essay I'm working on as a class assignment. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions! Please enjoy!

Note: This is an American-inspired theme and is intended to be an inspirational essay.The essay prompt was "American history: how it our hope for America's future?"

Hope Through the Years

“O Beautiful for patriot dream that sees beyond the years...” These are words from one of the most stirring patriotic songs in America, “America the Beautiful”. This song was written as a poem, inspired by the beauty and wonder contained within American borders. Over 120 years later, we still can see the same beauty as Katherine Bates saw, but this line in particular speaks of a dream: the dream of a patriot who looks to the future and sees it full of hope. Can we hope to have the same dream for our future today? Unfortunately, there is a great deal of disunity within America in our day around the issue of equality. How can we know how to address issues of freedom and justice and truly find hope for the future? The only way that we can do so is by looking at our past, even farther back than Katherine Bates' life. When we examine American history of freedom and equality, we have a glimpse of what America can be and what Americans can do to ensure preservation of equality.

America was founded by those who sought to escape from religious oppression, as well as those who wanted a chance for prosperity or wealth. The Declaration of Independence states that, “All men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” America remained a nation that had established unalienable rights for its citizens: right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of personal happiness. Early Americans were protected by a government that was interested in preserving basic and natural rights. Yet within this time period came a horrendous and barbaric chapter in the pages of American history: the slave trade. This “industry” destroyed American values and freedom to such an extent that it still taints the American name. Segregation and unequal voting rights followed this horrific mindset.

Unfortunately, many of the issues that were created by slavery and oppression in the United States still have strong roots on American soil. Hatred and discrimination are still evident, and many laws and regulations have been put in to place to attempt to fix these issues and reestablish equality, but no law can fix an issue of the heart. It is what we, as Americans, believe about our fellow man that drives these problems. Our hope for the future is not more laws; instead, it is a changing of the hearts of Americans to view each other as equal.

When I look at any American, I don't focus on the color of their skin or their ethnic background anymore than I would their hair color. I see a person who, whether Japanese or German, male or female, rich or poor, blue-eyed or brown-eyed, still deserves respect as a human being. Equality does not mean expecting everyone to be the exact same, but instead respecting people for who they are, aside from beliefs that threaten your rights as an American. I will always find people that I don't agree with, but it is still my duty to respect them.

In a perfect world, extremist groups and discrimination would not exist, but unfortunately this world is not perfect, and there is no perfect solution to these problems. The American government must, at the forefront of all things, protect its citizens' natural rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Whether or not we agree with each other is up to us. All of these issues truly come down to one word: respect. Respect for fellow humans, even when we may not agree with them. Respect for those who fight to protect our rights, whether in front of a microphone or in the line of fire. We must condemn people's actions, not their culture. We have hope for a brighter, yet not perfect, future, but it all must start with us. The future may indeed be uncertain, but our time to act is now.

Atticus wrote a review...

Hey there! MJ stopping by for a short review to work some reviewing magic :0

Over 120 years later, we still can see the same beauty as Katherine Bates saw
Who's Katherine Bates? After a Google search, I saw that she was the author, but it would be important to mention that earlier so you're not dumping new characters on us here

America remained a nation that had established unalienable rights for its citizens: right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of personal happiness.
If this is a direct quote, make sure to put quotation marks around it and cite it.

This “industry” destroyed American values and freedom to such an extent that it still taints the American name. Segregation and unequal voting rights followed this horrific mindset.
I would put a more distinct connection here to these two ideas, maybe saying something like "it still taints the American name. Centuries later, racial segregation and equality issues still plague the American people." Something like that.

This was a very inspirational piece, and it was a good reflection on our history and what our forefathers stood for. Too often, I think that we forget that our nation was founded by immigrants, some illegal immigrants at that. It's good to keep in mind the ideals that America was founded upon.

But to me, this felt incomplete. You identified the problem and gave some background to it, and you did a good job with that. However, one thing that was missing is how. How can we, as everyday Americans, combat racism? It seems like a daunting task, and it can be done, but I think even if you devoted two or three sentences to small things you can do to prevent racism, it would make this goal seem more doable.

It doesn't have to be something complicated that would require a lot of effort on the reader's part. It could be something as simple as refusing to condone racism on social media, or calling people out on racism, or not laughing at racist jokes our friends may make. We can't control what other people will do, but if we discourage their actions through our words and actions and enough people do that, it will greatly decrease the number of said jokes made.

Something else to consider is that the founding fathers had slaves, even though they wrote in the Constitution that all men are created equal. The founding fathers weren't perfect, and I'm not saying that you necessarily made this mistake, but it's easy to fall into the trap of "be like the Founding Fathers because they believed in equality and showed a perfect example of that". I think that many of them believed that slavery was wrong, but they still did it because it was free labor.

Hopefully this review was helpful, and as always, if you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to get back to you and help you work through them! Thanks for posting, and good luck this review day :)

Best wishes,
MJ

ajruby12 says...

Thanks for the review! I left Katherine Bates's identity as the author of the song as a known, based on my audience. And then I was just on my time limit for this essay, so I didn't get to say as much as I had hoped. But thank you for the comments!

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:02 am
Persistence wrote a review...

Hello! Here is my review.

So, this is a 5-paragraph essay for school. I thought it was well-written and I found no grammar or spelling mistakes. Form-wise it's pretty good, so I'll focus on the content.

First I must say I agree with the other reviewer. The part where you quote the Declaration of Independence is reiterated straight after, which is a tautology you should avoid (as all tautologies should be avoided). Also, avoid going off on tangents. It makes not just your argument, but your whole stance look weak. It essentially says that you are trying to convey some other message than what the essay promises to deliver. If you are trying to meet some sort of word-count requirement, there are other ways to do it, such as providing examples.

Which leads to my next point: the claim you present in the first paragraph is that there is a lot of disunity in America. But you fail to provide support for this claim. What are instances of disunity that the reader would be able to see if they put America under a magnifying glass? Or are readers just supposed to take your word for it? I did not find any supporting arguments for this throughout the essay. Frankly, it seems to me personally like you tiptoe around the thought of being precise and specific for fear of offending people who would disagree with you.

You already have a defense protecting your opinions in your last and second-to-last paragraph. You state that it is our duty to respect people's opinions even if they are disagreeable, because this is the best way to freedom and happiness. This right to differing opinions is also protected by the American government. So, I see no reason why you wouldn't try to be more specific.

Furthermore, there are plenty of things you could bring up as arguments to support your claim, with you still being objective and fair to any sides you bring up. For example, you could say that people are overly obsessed with politics and support either party like they're sports teams or something. They argue and bicker over issues with absolute obstinance, reluctant to even try putting themselves in the shoes of the other. You could say that there is racial divide, with people calling each other names left and right. You don't have to take a stance in this, but reporting on cases where disunity exists and providing examples of it will make your claim solid.

Since this is intended to be an inspirational piece, I assume you want to end it on a hopeful note. For this you could go back to history and maybe talk about how things have improved, and how things now are better than they've ever been in history despite seeming so bad right now, thus only solidifying your statement that there is hope. Also, if you provide arguments for the claim that there is disunity, and then say that despite of it there is still hope (possibly for the reasons I mentioned earlier), you eliminate the chance of rebuttal by people using this argument against you. They wouldn't be able to say "oh there's so much disunity so things are falling apart".

I'm not saying you should rewrite your essay. However, you should look into my points and perhaps utilize some of them to solidify your position and make your essay's arguments stronger.

Hatred and discrimination are still evident...

I understand you probably have a word-count limit, but here's something to look out for: where is this discrimination you say is evident? What are instances of it happening? This statement is vital to your point, but I could just as easily say there is no discrimination. I feel like examples would have worked well following this statement.

The argumentation aspect aside, I personally agree with you about the changing of people's hearts part. Laws are not always respected and obeyed, so only by influencing people's minds can we expect to have a respectful society. And I do think we should all respect each other, even if we have differing opinions on politics, religion or art. Actions can be crimes, but thoughts never can be.

I hope this was helpful. Have a nice day, and good luck at school.

ajruby12 says...

Thanks for the review! Unfortunately, I was right at the word limit for this essay (it had to be spoken in a certain time limit), so I had to cut a lot of the stuff that I wish I could have said. Your suggestions are very helpful though! :)

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:31 am
Wolfi wrote a review...

Happy Review Day!!!

Hey there, aj!

How can we know how to address issues of freedom and justice and truly find hope for the future? The only way that we can do so is by looking at our past

I would change this to something like "one of the only ways" because there are certainly other ways to address issues of freedom and justice.

America was founded by those who sought to escape from religious oppression, as well as those who wanted a chance for prosperity or wealth.

"America was founded by" is an unnecessary use of passive voice. You could clean up this sentence by rearranging some things and making the sentence active: "Those who sought to escape religious oppression, as well as those who wanted a chance for prosperity or wealth, founded America."

“All men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” America remained a nation that had established unalienable rights for its citizens: right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of personal happiness.

Here, a section of the quote is almost exactly restated in your summary sentence. If your teacher says that you need a summary sentence after every quote, try to write something that actually gives background on the quote. Restating it does no good. If your teacher doesn't require a summary sentence, then dive right into the meat of your argument: the analysis and commentary.

Our hope for the future is not more laws; instead, it is a changing of the hearts of Americans to view each other as equal.

I like this argument! But unfortunately I don't think that you should spend so much time arguing for it. The prompt has to do with how America's history shapes our hope for its future. The prompt doesn't have anything to do with how we're supposed to treat our fellow man.

I'm not sure how well you're supposed to stick to the prompt, but from my experience with school essays, that's one of the most important things. Even if the argument is sound and well-written, tangents are bad. My main piece of advice for you is to find more evidence of American historical events that you can use to argue whether or not that particular event lends a sense of hope or a sense of despair for America's future. It is never specifically stated which one America's dark past in slavery contributes to. As an example, you could easily argue that it contributes to a sense of doom, but the fact that the Union went to war for four long years in order to fight for the slaves' freedom is certainly a contributor to hope.

I like this essay, and your writing is good, but the last three paragraphs in particular just don't relate back to the prompt very well.

Hopefully this is helpful! Good luck! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

ajruby12 says...

Thanks for the review! This is intended to be an inspirational piece, so (not saying this is a good thing) I had to leave things fairly general and not quite as in-your-face. (My teacher actually recommended me not being so direct, which was funny)

Thanks for the comments though! :)

"You, who have all the passion for life that I have not? You, who can love and hate with a violence impossible to me? Why you are as elemental as fire and wind and wild things..."
— Gone With the Wind