Hidden Truths, Brazen Lies Chap. 4

by ajruby12

Chapter 4 is up!

For those of you who are just reviewing this chapter, here's a super short synopsis of what's happened so far.

"Brinxlee Kaye was on a journey, one that she hoped would fulfill her dying father's final wishes. Her desire was to sketch the country outside her town walls, or at least parts of it, for her father. But things take a drastic turn when a city is destroyed by the murderous Ronan Payne, and Brinxlee finds herself in company with a pirate named Morgan who has convinced Bri to help get her ship, the Black Swan, back from several of Ronan's old crew. Now Brinxlee is in a battle of the wills. With a destructive villain on the loose, a dying father, and an obligation to help Morgan regain her beloved ship, she is torn with what to do. Why was it her who was pulled into this horrid mess? For now, that is a mystery."

Characters:

Bri (Brinxlee’s nickname) - Gaelic/Irish - “high, noble, exalted” or “strong”

Kaye - English- “keeper of the keys

Morgan - Celtic - “lives by the sea”

Hasani - African “handsome”

Mablevi- (pronounced ma-ble-vi) - African - “do not deceive”

Ronan - Celtic - “oath”

Akilah - (pronounced ah-kee-lah) - Arabic - “bright, intelligent”

Jabari - Egyptian - “brave”

Places:

Meredain - (variant of Meridian) - “great prosperity”

Beckenham - (pronounced bek-en-ham) - An English town

Bomani - African - “warrior”

Chapter Four

A heavy boot nudges my side. I moaned and rolled over, feeling soft grass under my fingers. The nudge was followed by a hefty kick. My eyes flutter open, and I turn back over to the sight of Morgan's cool smirk. She bent over, letting her loose black hair swish around her face as she said,

“C'mon, get up, sweetheart. Daylight's wasting.” I roll over, mumbling grumpily under my breath. A second kick from Morgan's boot finally woke me. As I sat up, my nose wrinkled at a pungent odor.

“What's that smell?”

“That's what you call a dead animal, darling.” Morgan said as she motioned. I glanced off to the right and had to hold back a gag.

“What is that thing??”

“Hard to say. It's a large creature, for sure. The wolves must've gotten to it. Guess they weren't hungry enough to eat it all.”

My eyes widened and my voice trembled as I spoke.

“Wolves? Here?? Right next to our camp?”

“Aye, wolves. Better get used to them. They're always roaming the woods. It's a wonder we survived the night.” She looked at my stunned face and burst out laughing.

“I'm only joking! Lighten up. You're not in any danger, I promise.” She hurriedly added, noting my worried look.

“Wolves usually avoid humans. Although I'd be more worried about the Black Blades following us. Best be sure we don't leave any signs.”

The sun was just starting to shed its light through the trees as we packed up to leave. I averted my eyes from the animal carcass, trying to ignore the nauseating smell. I had only ever seen a dead animal like that once: a dead seal on the beach, its remaining form being picked clean by birds. I hated to see something suffer, even an animal. My tenderhearted approach towards life only seemed to add to the growing list of worries that plagued my mind about this journey. How could someone like me inflict pain on another human being? I couldn't even bring myself to kick a dog.

I had plenty of time to meditate on those worries during our day's travels. Morgan talked very little, and she only ever seemed to make snide remarks and abrupt comments. Even so, I noticed that she tended to be rather modest about her own abilities and considerate with mine. She acted every bit as the noble pirate, with her bold attitude and tough demeanor.

However, I grew to realize that she often lacked feeling for others, particularly those she found annoying or inconvenient. Even though she was a fairly reasonable person, anyone who crossed her would have his face ground into the dirt before he could make a second move. My thoughts were interrupted as my face smacked into Morgan's back. She held up a hand to silence my comments, scanning the trees carefully.

“There's someone out there.” She murmured, hand reaching for the saber at her side. I followed suit, taking out the sword Morgan had given me. I could barely hold the sword still in my quaking hands. What was out there?

Forest sounds fill my ears, mixed with my own heavy breathing. A twig snapped behind us and I spun around to see a dark shape in the trees. A flash of steel caught my eye, emanating from a dagger which the masked figure brandished. He walked towards us, blade outstretched as a low growl sounded from his throat.

“Release your weapons from your grasp immediately!” The sword instinctively fell from my trembling hands, but Morgan launched herself at the figure, joining her steel to the figure's blade and knocking it out of his hands. She kicked out his legs, holding her saber to a dark-skinned neck. She whipped off the black mask, revealing a male face, about nineteen years old.

“Thought I recognized that voice! Look here, Brinx. We caught an old buddy of mine.” She grinned, pulling the blade from his neck.

“Should have chosen something a little better than a dagger.” she said, heaving him up off the ground. He grinned sheepishly and rubbed at his neck.

“Morgan… I never thought I would have the pleasure of seeing your stunning features again.” His eyes met mine and he smiled. “Apologizes for that, maha.”

“What's maha?” I muttered to Morgan, trying to appear tough towards the newcomer.

“It means beautiful eyes. It's a common compliment in his village.”

“Ah…” I gnawed on my lip, staring at the boy. He looked like he was a couple years younger than Morgan. He was just about my height, which Morgan seemed to take full advantage of as she placed an elbow on his head. I studied him cautiously, murmuring to Morgan again.

“What's his name?”

“My name is Hasani.” He cut in quickly, bowing low to the ground.

Morgan scoffed, elbowing him roughly in the side.

“Tsh, you big liar! His name's Mablevi.” She explained, glaring at him, but Mablevi only pouted, replying huffily,

“You always did manage to spoil my fun. Regardless, that name always seems to charm the female mind much better than Mablevi. Not that that has done me much good... But I'm guessing you're not on this path to exchange words with me, eh Morgan?”

“We're actually headed to Bomani. You wouldn't happen to be going there yourself, would you?” He only grinned cheekily again.

“My business goes hither and thither. I really can't be sure.” he said airily.

She rolled her eyes, sheathing her saber. She winked at me, then started to turn away, speaking over her shoulder.

“Never mind then. Pleasure to see you again, Mab, but we have important business to attend to. People to hunt, fights to win, and...” He bounded in front of her, his dark brown eyes dancing with amusement as he cut her off.

“Actually, I would be most happy to accompany you! I just recalled I also have a venture there, and would be delighted to ensure your safe arrival.” I tried to hide a giggle at his rather sophisticated vocabulary. He immediately struck up a conversation with Morgan, and the two began to catch up on the lost time between them. It was obvious that they were good friends, at least at some point in time.

“So tell me, why did you attack us?”

“Well, I'm afraid I was a little too eager to go after a gang of criminals that are currently on the loose in this area. I do apologize for acting as I did, but that eminent threat has loomed over the villages for some time. Even the people in Bomani want this gang gone. Of course, people have become more worried about the infamous Ronan and his crew as of late.” Morgan glanced back at me, and I notice the doubt in her eyes.

“Aye… Big reward for that one. Shame no one's been able to touch him yet, or most of his crew.” There was a hint of spite in Morgan's voice as she gritted out the last comment, but her chattering companion didn't seem to notice. The day passed pleasantly. A couple hours after noon, we finally broke through the tree line. Before us lay a steep slope, which led straight down to a large village: Bomani.

“It looks so peaceful...” I murmured softly. Mab chuckled.

“That's because there's a hunt transpiring today, most likely for ekis.” (Ekis are large creatures that frequent mountain regions. Their meat is sought after by many hunters) “Those mercenaries love their meat, although a good number of them simply like killing the beasts. They like the challenge.” His white teeth shone brightly, contrasted by his dark skin. Throughout the whole day, he had always seemed so cheerful. His attitude brightened up the heavy feeling in my heart. Mab glanced up into the sky as he spoke.

“Now then… I think it would be best to get to Bomani before the hunting parties get back.” Morgan paused for a moment, glancing at him.

“Why are we in such a rush?”

“Those men are not terribly civil towards newcomers. Well, I should confess, I don't exactly have the best record with some of them. They aren't very fond of me. Or my family. Or my village. Of course, I've never done anything against them!” he said, attempting an innocent smile.

“Oh, well, how could you ever annoy them?” Morgan's jaw gaped open mockingly as she slapped him on the back.

“Well, in that case, we'd better get moving.” Morgan grabbed my arm and Mab's, breaking into a jog as she dragged both of us down the steep incline. I wince as my satchel bounced against my side as I grit out a plea.

“Hey, could we, ouch, that hurts…. Maybe slow down…. A little??” Morgan just chuckled, but she slowed down to a fast-paced walk.

“Sooner we get to the village, the sooner we eat.”

“Mmm, vittles… I haven't eaten for an eternity. But the whole food-devouring thing might be held off for a bit. Some of those folks won't be so inviting to strangers. I must warn you that this is a dangerous…” Morgan halted, clapping a hand across his mouth as she hissed, “Shhh!”.

I dropped low to the ground and looked around, whispering.

“What is it?? Is there someone watching us?”

“No, I just wanted to get him to shut up.” Morgan giggled, pulling her hand from Mab's mouth. He glared at her indignantly.

“Don't fret about it, Mab. We didn't come here to avoid them. And yes, I'm aware of how dangerous it is.” She added before he could open his mouth again. The remainder of the descent was spent in awkward silence, with Mab grumbling under his breath and Morgan still urging both of us on. We finally got on level ground again. The entire village looked like a large jumble of huts and houses haphazardly spread between two steep cliffs edges. Morgan adjusted her sword sheath, glancing around nervously. Mablevi was also scanning the surrounding cliffs.

“Appears to be clear. We will head for the east side of the village. Keep watch for any mercenaries, and try not to look suspicious.”

Many of the buildings on the outer portion of the village were huts and hovels. Near the huts were thin women and a few men, wearing tattered and torn clothes. Many of the women were hard at work, beating out threadbare rugs and scrubbing out stains that would never disappear. However, as meager as the huts were, each was as clean as it could be made. A few women had their hut doors open, continually bustling in and out to dip clean rags in one of the few troughs around the huts. There were a surprising number of children running and playing in the streets, their bare feet picking up mud everywhere they walked.

Yet the cleanliness seemed to carry over to the children as well. As one girl was called in doors, she carefully washed her feet off in the trough. As we passed the women and men, many a bright smile shone out from obviously weary, dirt-streaked faces. However, they all seemed to be staring at me. My eyes darted from face to face, surprised to see that most of the faces looked inquisitive. Morgan noticed my surprise and leaned over to me.

“They're probably staring at you because of your light skin.” I suddenly realized that almost all of the villagers were dark-skinned, and felt silly for not noticing it before. I was sure to raise a lot of intrigue in this place.

I felt a tug on my shirt and looked down. Standing in front of me was a little girl, a flower clasped in her chubby hands. Her bright brown eyes shone in contrast to her dark skin. Her clothes were brightly colored, but streaked with mud. A beaded necklace hung around her neck. She grinned up at me and held up the flower, which hung limply off to one side.

“This is for you! You're really pretty.” She glanced at Morgan.

“So are you!” Her eyes traveled over to Mablevi, and she giggled.

“You're not!” she said. Mab put on a face of mock indignation.

I chuckled and bent down, gently taking the flower from her chubby hands.

“What's your name, sweetheart?” The girl giggled again.

“I'm Kealoha. I'm six years old tomorrow! My hut is over there, but my momma is sleeping and she'd chase you out with a broom if you wake her up. I should go because my friends want me to come play pirates and Nordic men with them.” She scampered off towards several other children, her bare feet squishing into a patch of mud.

“Friendly girl, isn't she?” Morgan commented. I tucked the flower into my belt as I nodded.

As we walked further into the village, stone buildings replaced wood ones. The change in wealth was very obvious. Mablevi explained that the wealthy people were the stronger ones who fought and stole their way up the social layers. There were very few people on these streets, but many of those that were there were women and older men. The only children around were very young, perhaps not older than five years. Their garb was far better than that of the poorer class, but everyone looked unhappy. Many of the women looked more scared than anything else. This probably wasn't the most secure place for those who couldn't fight back against the stronger mercenaries. Many of them stared at me as well, but their expressions bore a far nastier look, any hint of friendliness totally gone. My mind flashed back to the pirate hideout and the “white mouse” comment. I felt out of place, no matter where I went.

A low horn sounded at the north part of the village. Mab gnawed on his lip, muttering.

“That would be the hunting parties...”

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” I murmured to Morgan. She patted my back, smiling.

“Don't worry. I promised I'd make sure you're safe, didn't I? Just keep moving.” A long train of men lumbered into view, some lugging behind them their spoils of hunting. We tried to blend in with the crowd, but it didn't take long for some of them to notice the pale-skinned girl, pirate, and boy from the other village. A group of the hunters broke from the rest, walking towards us. They stood in a semicircle, roughly shoving aside the women that had gathered around. The three of us backed up slowly against a small hut, which, if we had been paying attention, would have seemed out of place among the large stone buildings surrounding it. The clink of metal reverberated among the buildings, and a hushed silence fell over the crowd.

“Will yew look at this 'ere? It's one of them slimes come from his pig sty.” A leering face poked out from the group, chuckling hoarsely at Mablevi. He gulped and attempted a smile, but his attempt was cut short by a sharp spear hitting the ground in front of us.

“Eyy, and he's got two gals with him too. Ain't too bad looking, eh?”

“Nawh, one of 'em is a pirate. Them's unpreprickcable.”

“It's unpredictable, yew oversized toad. What's in that thick skull of yers, rocks?”

“Should we gut the slime?”

“Whatever it is, do it quick. I'm tired of waiting.”

A door creaked behind me and a small hand grabbed the back of my shirt, pulling me through the door frame. In a moment, Morgan landed on top of me and Mablevi onto the rough wood floor beside us. The door slammed closed just as an arrow thudded into the aged timber.

“Gah, drat those lunatics! Putting holes in my door. If they ever stick another arrow in my door, I'll beat them with my staff!” I pulled my head up off the floor, craning my neck to see the speaker. A short, aged woman stood next to the door, muttering under her breath. Her hair was gray and pulled back in a long braid that stretched past her waist. She turned to face me, and I noticed that her emerald eyes were very bright and youthful, despite her many years. Her face broke into a smile.

“Welcome to the humble abode of Akilah. Thank me later for saving your lives.” Her eyes twinkled. Her face grew solemner as she studied Mablevi.

“Ah, little wonder they wanted to kill someone so bad.” Mab looked at her in partial confusion.

“The Pig is mad at your village again and he vowed to kill everyone there.”she said, breaking out into a smile again.

“Tcha, the big bluff failed anyway. But don't worry. I'll get all three of you out safely, even if I have to break a few thick skulls first.”

“Oi, wrinkles, give them back to us!” a voice yelled from outside, quickly followed by a chorus.

“Aye, we ain't done with 'em yet!”

“We could burn the hut down! That'll force 'em out.”

“Oh sure, great idea. We's got wood on all these buildings around it. Remember the last time yew tried to burn someone's home, lard brain?”

“Well, that what contamination is for!”

“It's containment, idjit!”

Akilah sighed deeply. Her short frame bustled to the windows of the hut, and she opened one, yelling out to the gang outside.

“The next face I see will get a pot of boiling tea in it. Now leave and take your spoils home.” She huffed loudly, then slammed the window closed, turning to us.

“Tcha, you all look exhausted and hungry. Go and wash your faces in the back and I'll get some food together for you.” She patted Mablevi's cheek fondly, winking at Morgan.

Her long braid swished against the fabric of her skirt as she walked to one side of the hut, where a small fire burnt. She placed a large pot over the fire and started dicing up vegetables with remarkable speed, her sharp dagger flashing in the firelight with each chop. I splashed water on my face and hands from the clay pot she had indicated in the back. Her familiarity with Mablevi and Morgan confused me, but at that moment, I was glad to still be alive. I walked slowly over to the fire where Akilah was busily working.

“Ma'am, if you don't mind me asking, who is this Pig person?” I asked. Akilah paused for a moment.

“Oh, Pig's just an overgrown child. He's dangerous though, especially with a gang of mercenaries under his control. The big clod's got the worst temper and acts like his name.” Her nose crinkled up as she added. “Smells like a pig, too.” I smiled slightly, still too shook up from the events only minutes before.

“If you don't mind me asking, who are you?” Akilah's emerald eyes searched my face for a moment, then she smiled.

“Akilah. Are you deaf, child?”

“No, I mean about your past. You have a lot of strength for one of your, well, many years.”

“And you are very blunt for one of your reputation, Brinxlee.” My eyes grew wide.

“How do you know my name? And what do you know about me??”

She bit her lip, then started cackling in laughter.

“Aha, I knew it! You look so very worried, dear.” Her face became serious again as she took my hands and stared into my eyes.

“You have a lot of fear. You are brave, but you are too afraid to show it, aren't you?”

“How do you know who I am??” Akilah fell silent again.

“That will be answered in time. But I will say that news of you came from a close relative of yours. Bragged about you quite a bit.”

“Who?” I asked again, but Akilah only tsked.

“Tcha, so many questions. So much potential to be a warrior, and yet you will just waste it all. Such a shame no one can teach you.” Her shoulders slumped as she scooped up a handful of vegetables.

“Can you teach me? To be a warrior, I mean. You seem to know how to defend yourself.” Her hand paused as she appeared to contemplate the idea.

“Hmm, well, I haven't done something like that in years. It would be difficult to teach a mind such as yours...”

“Please?” She sighed again, then looked into my eyes with a mischievous grin.

“I suppose it could be arranged. But not till tomorrow. You are going to eat now.” She pulled me to a low table, plunking me down on a soft cushion. Morgan sat next to me, elbowing my side.

“Working to strike up a deal, huh? She'll be a good teacher.” She grinned. I chuckled back at her, still abuzz with questions, but I knew now wasn't the time. In a few minutes, Akilah appeared with the boiling pot and dished out generous portions of soup. My nose hovered over the bowl as I sniffed in the delicious scent. A sudden pang ran through my stomach. This smelled so familiar.

“Mother…” I whispered, clutching my hair tightly.

“I miss you, Momma…” I whispered to myself, closing my eyes for a moment as the memories washed over my brain. My mother's soft, melodious voice sang from the kitchen, wafting through our home along with the smell of vegetable soup. Mother always seemed to make everything taste like it belonged on a king's table. I grasped the table, my knuckles whitening as I fought back tears. I missed hearing her voice so much. I didn't want to make the same mistake with my father. I wasn't there for her when she needed me, but I was determined to be there for my father. My hand reached for my satchel, which hadn't left my side since I left Oak. I had to be strong for my father and aunt, not just to fulfill my father's dream, but to protect the only family I had left from the shadows of this Ronan and his destruction. Morgan was right; I don't have a choice. I have to make my father happy and safe, no matter the cost.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:03 am
jimss23 wrote a review...

Fall's off a tree and inspires Calculus...

Heeeeerrreeeee's JIMMYYY!!

Chapter 4. Time to get rolling. I'm gonna stick to my usual stuff here cause you said it was really useful! I'm glad you find these helpful. I will try to continue that trend and I'll give ya all the help I can.

Fair Warning: The farther along in a story I review, the more critical I will get about certain things. Plot holes or anything that doesn't make sense in the context in particular. Character development too. Consistency becomes a major goal as we move along. (Also I might start referring to things with plural pronouns. It's a bad habit, but it makes me feel more involved so just humor me :) ) Just saying, I'm gonna get picky. But I'm not gonna link you to articles like you don't know what you are doing. (ugh. Why do people do that?) Personally, condesending reviews are very annoying. Better to just ignore them. No one likes a know-it-all.

And, as always, no grammar. (Looking at the other reviews it seems like they got you covered)

Once more unto the breach, dear friend.

"My tenderhearted approach towards life..."
This came off as a little on the nose. The previous sentence did a better job of describing her nature. Just a classic example of show vs. tell but I wanted to point it out. (Though the rest of the sentence was also good, so it was mostly just that phrase)

Alright so the description of Morgan was pretty good, but I was left wondering how did Bri learn all this? The stuff you are describing usually is learned via interaction with others. I think you should slowly reveal Morgan's character traits, maybe over the course of the adventure. That way the reader feels like they are connected to the story. Not only are they learning about the world and the story, but with every page, the characters become more and more complex.

"What was out there?"
I felt that this was a little unnecessary. Her shaking hands and Morgan's sudden halt are enough to make the reader wonder what is out there. I think you could cut this sentence and the meaning would still be conveyed.

"the masked figure brandished"
This phrase also does not make sense in context. It is very confusing as to who the dagger belongs to just as a first glance (not overall. I know who has it but you get my point). You would want to put something about the masked figure before you talk about what they are holding.

Something didn't seem right about Mablevi as he is first introduced. He went from being this very menacing figure to being easily beaten. He didn't even put up much of a fight. His introduction is just out of character with how he is portrayed later. Eh, just a personal thing. Not really too critical.

"Mablevi only pouted, replying huffily,"
That should be connected to his dialogue as opposed to being connected to the previous paragraph.

"Morgan noticed my surprise and leaned over to me."
Ok, just another little personal thing, but it is really unrealistic to have characters know the inner details of another's thoughts. I know it can be hard as an author cause you know everyone's thoughts, it can be strange to read. For example, even if Bri was making very obvious signs of surprise, how would Morgan know exactly what she was thinking? Best way to fix this is to simply have Bri say something like "Morgan, why are they all staring at me?". Now Morgan knows the context and it doesn't seem strange.

The girl scene came off weird. The girl was way too revealing about herself way too fast. No one gives out that much information without prompt. It's like shaking someone's hand and they just start telling you their life's story. It would just be a little bizarre. I would break down that conversation. Every new bit of information should be a response to a question asked by Bri, Morgan, or Mab.

Also, I don't know if this was explained and I just missed it, but why does she have so much lighter skin than the village people?

"would have seemed out of place among the large stone buildings surrounding it."
Why?

"sharp spear hitting the ground in front of us."
Did they just try to kill them then? Or was it like a warning shot?

Okay, I understand the Hunters are supposed to really want to kill Mab but they seem like unintelligent homicidal maniacs. There is no subtlety to them. They don't try to negotiate or be calm, they just are worked into a berserker rage for no apparent reason. Now, this isn't a bad thing prima facie but I think it would add more depth to your story if you worked them up into a rage as opposed to being angry from the start. Or maybe the different characters have different personalities. The Pig is angry and violent while another is calm and calculating but brutal. Just a thought.

Also, you don't go into detail about what the beef is between these two villages that warrant such a rage. At least not enough to make it very clear. You also go throwing names around without clarifying who is who. Not that you should have those characters in there, but give them a little more detail every time you introduce them.

"Ah, little wonder they wanted to kill someone so bad.”
This sentence didn't seem to make sense in context and seems out of place.

“The Pig is mad at your village again and he vowed to kill everyone there.”
Why?

“And you are very blunt for one of your reputation, Brinxlee.”
Hate to be a pick but she identifies Brinxlee on looks alone. Even with the mystery person bragging about her, Akilah wouldn't really know exactly who she is just at a glance. Now, if Bri said her name first everything would click.

“Can you teach me? To be a warrior, I mean."
Woah. Slow down a bit. There is a big difference in intimidating some thugs off and being a full fledged warrior. Akilah didn't exactly go all Bruce Lee on them. Bri would have no clue she would be any good at being a warrior. I would suggest we replace "warrior" with "fighter". Also, why would Bri not ask Morgan to teach her? Morgan is younger, well armed, and has combat experience. Why is Bri asking an old woman for help?

So yup that's about it for me. I am so sorry it has been taking me this long to review things, but I want to make sure you get my full attention.

Anywho, I'll get around to reviewing the 5th one as time permits.

The most underwhelming reviewer ever,

Mr. Golden Delicious

ajruby12 says...

Thanks for the review! As always, it will be of great help.
I think a few of the things you pointed out, such as Akilah talking about Bri's reputation, will make more sense in future chapters. The restrictions on number of chapters and content that I had for this story does make it a bit more scrunched together, which I hope to resolve in the future.

And side note, the vast majority of these hunters and mercenaries are generally unintelligent, homicidal maniacs. Not all, of course, but they aren't exactly the brightest forks in the outlet. However, I do need to work on motivation for them.

Now that my writing ego is properly dashed (*sniff sniff*), I shall add these things to my hypothetical editing list. Thanks again!

jimss23 says...

Your writing ego should be strong!

Trust me, I don't like when reviewers link to articles. It's demeaning and condescending (in my opinion), and just changes the whole tone of the review. And I know I shouldn't be making comments on others reviews, but sometimes I just have to stick my big green apple nose where it doesn't belong.

You are doing a great job, trust me! Sorry, I don't include many positives, it's something I always forget to do.

Keep it up. I'll get to that 5th one, promise.

ajruby12 says...

Well, different people have different ways of reviewing. I appreciate it all (well, at least most of them. Some people just are no help at all)
My writing needs help pretty much all the time. Just chugging along on the struggle bus of writing sometimes. xD
But I appreciate the consideration, a lot.

PrincessInk wrote a review...

Hey @ajruby12!

I'm just leaving my 2nd review for #RevMo ! Sorry if this review isn't helpful; I haven't read previous parts and won't be able to comment more on the overall story, only what I encounter in this chapter. :)

First of all, there are some tense switches here that I think needs fixing.

A heavy boot nudges my side. I moaned and rolled over, feeling soft grass under my fingers.

The first sentence is in present tense, while the second is in past tense. I've noticed that the majority of this chapter is in past tense, so I think the first sentence can be fixed to become:

A heavy boot nudged my side
.

I'd suggest examining the sentences more carefully to make sure you don't have any kind of tense switches that don't make sense, like the example above ^^

Dialogue punctuation:

“That's what you call a dead animal, darling.” Morgan said as she motioned.

A comma is needed instead of a period after darling. So something like

“That's what you call a dead animal, darling,” Morgan said as she motioned.

If you write a sentence that ends with a period or that continues after said/asked/etc (like "Mom," she said, "I'd like to go the park." It's different for question marks and exclamation points though.

You can refer to Punctuation within Dialogue for a more thorough explanation :D

The premise here is pretty interesting--seems as though the main character is trying to deal with a group of evil people who did something bad to her family? So she's on some kind of quest? I don't know and I could totally off but that's what I'm guessing :p

I like the banter between Morgan and Mablevi--it's enjoyable to see Morgan open up to somebody she knows well even though her talk is rather emotionally closed up? She must be one of those tough acting-and-speaking characters I often see in fantasy novels. Mablevi is young and naive, I feel (at least compared to Morgan) and he seems to be a nice person.

I thought that you used first person PoV to convey the thoughts of Bri pretty well, but I think that the fear element is lacking. I thought that the sadness triggered by the soup was really written really well. I liked the way she transitioned from her sadness to some mixture of sadness and determination because I know this is how she is going to push on through any hardships she encounters. So, like I said, I would like to feel more fear from her. Like when she's wandering around the forest with Morgan, she might be more anxious in case they run into the Black Blades--like being nervous with even a branch just falling off the ground? They seem to be pretty dangerous and oppressive after all. And in the Pig incident, I felt as though she was pretty calm. Some body language that shows she's scared would be good, wouldn't it? When the soup reminded her of home, Bri "grasped the table" and tried not to cry, right? That kind of thing. And also visceral stuff like heart racing and thrumming can be helpful if not overused. Whoa, what a rambly paragraph xD

So this is interesting, because Bri, to me, feels self-conscious (and then it makes sense, when she's walking through a place where her skin color is different from the inhabitants' and she stands out) and not-very-tough. But I'm sensing some possible inner strength that might, layer by layer, peek out. That would be good material for a character arc, wouldn't it? I'm wondering why she wants to act tough to Mablevi when it's evident that he's Morgan's friend, though. It just doesn't feel right to me--I feel like maybe she'd be more shy rather than tough.

I wonder why Akilah asked Bri if she was deaf. Weren't they talking before that? It just turns out odd to me. Another thing I'd like to comment on relating to Akilah and Bri's interaction is that I couldn't really feel Bri's feelings when they talked. I would have loved to feel more of it, because then I can really get a good close-up impression of Akilah. To me, the interactions between Bri and other characters feel weak because I can't exactly sense her feelings when they talk.

So this is getting pretty long and I have just. one. more. comment. It's about the setting. I would love to see it woven more into the action, to emphasize the unhappy state of this town (or village or city)?. People there are unhappy and sad because of these BAD mercenaries and I think I would like to see it more specific. Show, don't tell (as in the famous writing advice). Show their unhappiness by the way they walk--maybe they're more hostile because they're always on the edges of their feet and I imagine their nerves are frayed from the attacks from the mercenaries.

Okay, so I hope this ramble helped, and remember to take any advice I have with a grain of salt in case I completely missed the mark. Thanks for posting this~

-Ink

ajruby12 says...

Ha, ramblings are good sometimes! It helps me see the readers' thought processes. Thanks for the review! I think things would make more sense if you were able to read previous chapters, but thank you for the thoughts! They're helpful
Happy RevMo!

Aley wrote a review...

Hello ajruby12,

I like how your story develops and the characters in it. They're unique and you have a rich culture in this story which hleps create a better sense of the setting and people. I like that a lot.

However, there are some things I'd like to see improved. Mostly it's editing stuff. I noticed in the first two sentences you have some tense issues, meaning that you start in present tense and switch to past tense "nudges" vs "moaned" so I wanted to point that out. Hopefully you don't need it, but if you do, here's a refresher on tense: The Great Grammar Compendium

You also have a few places where you use ellipsis wrong rather than using the proper dash or comma, and you don't always have a space after your quotation marks. Mostly little things.

The major thing I'd like to talk about is how you introduce information. For instance, you've got one part where you're talking about the Ekis, and you break into a (parenthesis) explanation, then explain it in the speech. Just take out the parenthesis. They're not needed. You can either include the information just as it is and add in the proper punctuation, or erase the whole interjection and leave it as part of the speech. Either way is acceptable since we can pick up in-context what it is that's being said.

I also think that you're introducing Mablevi a little weird, like his dialgoue feels off. I know that you're trying to make him sound smart and well-spoken, but you're getting really wordy with him and you can't be smart if you're taking way too long to say something as simple as drop your weapons. It just isn't intimidating or a good use of langauge. I'd suggest you go back through his dialogue and simplify it a little more so that he just uses big words once in a while in relaxed situations and not while he's fighting, or attacking someone.

All in all, I think you just need to go back over this with a fine-toothed comb and rip off all the extra stuff, take care of your verb tense problems and make the dialogue more understandable. In other words, so far so good!

ajruby12 says...

The present tense was on purpose, but I'm still not sure if I like it or not... Almost like she's reliving the moment.
Also, Mablevi is intended to be very wordy. He is smart, but he just really, really likes to talk xD
He drives his own little strugglewagon in that area...
Thanks for the comments! They're very helpful!
Happy RevMo!

Aley says...

Well usually in novels it's a 'pick one' choice, so if you are trying to write in present tense, then change everything to present tense. If not, then change it over.

As my general rule of thumb, anything with "ed" at the end of it, like planned, yawned, sighed, smiled, etc. is actually in past tense, but there are more too, like cut rather than cuts. Usually present tense has an 's' on the end. so plans, yawns, sighs, smiles, says, are all present tense.

The majority of your story here is in past tense, which means to make it present tense, you're going to need to find all of your verbs and re-tense them. You might be able to do that with a ctrl f function, and then replace them.

But, for instance, if you want the first paragraph in present tense it would be:

"A heavy boot nudges my side. I moan and roll over, feeling soft grass under my fingers. The nudge is followed by a hefty kick. My eyes flutter open and I turn back over to the sight of Morgan's cool smirk. She bends over, letting her loose black hair swish around her face as she says "C'mon, get up, sweetheart. Daylight's wasting.""

Some of your verbs were already present tense, some weren't, but after this paragraph, you pretty much fall into past tense.

ajruby12 says...

I'm well aware of tenses and how to use them. :)
I just wanted to try bringing out certain small sections of the story. Kinda like if you're telling someone a story and you say, "So there I was, in the middle of the kitchen, and I saw a cat outside the window! I blink and stare at it, and it just stares back at me. Then I ran outside and chased it away." Again, I'll likely change those few sentences back to past tense so it's all consistent. I just wanted to try and see how that would work.

Aley says...

Ohhhhhhh, I see what you mean. Yeah, you can do that if you jump into present, but you can't go back and forth. Like, if you hit a chapter where you caught up to something and you'd had the whole book as a flashback, THEN you could jump into present, but you'd have to STAY in present for there st of the book.

Lumos wrote a review...

Hi ajruby12 - Lumos here stopping by for a review.

I haven't read the previous parts, so I'm just going off this.

First, I would suggesting cutting the size of your submissions. Most people don't like reading long texts on a computer and you would get more readers if you simply cut down the size. I know that means more points, but isn't it better to get more reviews?

This really struck me as odd. By saying 'hefty kick,' I think she's being kicked. Hard. And her reaction is to just roll over? Is this girl made of stone?? If I were being kicked, I would do a lot more than roll over.

Also, you're changing tenses with 'bent.' It should be 'bends.'

“That's because there's a hunt transpiring today, most likely for ekis.” (Ekis are large creatures that frequent mountain regions. Their meat is sought after by many hunters)

I'm not a fan of putting information in parenthesis like that. There are better, interesting ways to put information like this that doesn't shout to the reader so obviously.

I feel as if I have a hard time connecting with your character. When she meets Mablevi, she says she's trying to 'act tough' in front of a stranger. This is not very clear and doesn't paint the picture of how the character feels. (also, it's a bit annoying how she has to whisper questions about him to Morgan. Like just ask him yourself. You're making yourself look the opposite of 'tough.')

If you delve into your character's mind, tell us what she's thinking, how she's reacting... that's how you make a story interesting and gripping. The reader wants to know how your character reacts in different situations... what makes this character so special?

You've got a good start here - I like the relation between Morgan and Mablevi and the setting is all interesting. If you add more from the main character - what her thoughts, feelings are - will really help the reader be able to connect with them.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments.

Lumos

ajruby12 says...

Thanks for the review! I've had a lot of people comment on the tense change, but it really was on purpose. I just wanted to test it out, and obviously people aren't that fond of it.
Also, I'm just submitting it by chapter. I know it's a lot of material, but I want it have it all in one place. That's how I wrote it, and it makes it harder when it's split into sections. (Plus my life is currently chaos, so splitting it is not ideal)
Thanks for the thoughts! I know these chapters are a bit rough, but I'm hoping that I can get them smoothed out in future editing runs.
Happy RevMo!

Writing is like love: the real thing is a lot less romantic
— dragonfphoenix