Elora Chapter 2 part 1

by airbear320

Chapter two! Any feedback is greatly appreciated. :D

Chapter Two

The next day, Saturday, I sat alone on the deck once again—except this time it was the middle of the day rather than the middle of the night and I was wearing jeans along with a light pink button up blouse instead of PJ’s. Also, instead of having my guitar I had a book my friend Staci back in Seattle had given me as a farewell present. Normally I wasn’t into the whole fantasy literature which she was crazy about, so I was surprised when this book grabbed my attention. Who knew vampires could be so compelling?

“Hey Al,” Zack said, plopping down next to me on the swinging bench. Apparently everyone in my family knew this was where they could find me. “What’cha readin’?”

My ears perked up at the sing-song tone to his voice, along with my suspicion. “What do you want, Zackary?” I asked contemptuously, refusing to take my eyes away from my book.

“Now, what makes you think I want something? Can’t I just sit here and have a pleasant conversation with my favorite little sister?”

“Your only little sister,” I reminded him, turning the page, though I hadn’t really comprehended the last paragraph I’d read.

“The only one I need, since God wrapped perfection up in such a neat little package.”

Wow. Compliments, not hitting me once during this entire five second period. I could only think of one thing that would compel my second oldest brother to be so nice.

“How much?” I asked.

“What makes you think I want money?”

“How much?”

“Twenty-five.”

This drew my nose quickly out of the book. “Twenty-five bucks? What for?”

Zack shrugged. “I met a couple guys when I was buying stuff for school yesterday. They invited me to go see a movie with them— Zombie Slayer 5. Guaranteed to be even more gruesome than number 4.”

“I should hope so,” I scoffed, turning back to my book though I couldn’t remember where I’d left off. “Number 4 was lame.”

“Ali,” Zack prodded, poking me in the side. He wasn’t going to let me change the subject.

“Why don’t you ask Mom for money?”

“You know how she feels about the Zombie Slayer movies. She wouldn’t give it to me.”

“Maybe I shouldn’t either.”

“Then maybe I should sit on your face for a couples minutes. I’m feeling kinda gassy after that burrito I had for lunch.” He stood up threateningly.

“Eww,” I reacted quickly as he took a step towards me, sticking my foot out onto his chest, keeping him a safe legs-distance away. “That’s sick!”

“Come on, Ali. I’ll pay you back.”

But I knew he would never pay me back. I’d already lost most of my hard earned cash to him back in Washington. Zack had managed to sweet talk me out of my last paycheck before the stupid move—a whole summer bussing tables just to buy a stupid antique batman bobble head. Despite the fact that both I and Zack had jobs back in Seattle, I had been the only one to save up any money. I was beginning to think that keeping a running tab might be a smart idea.

Then, suddenly a new idea came to mind and I gave Zack a sly smile.

“I’ll tell you what,” I said, slamming my book shut. “I’ll give you the money if you take me with you.”

“Um . . . no,” Zack, scoffed.

“Well then, um . . . no money,” I replied, standing up. I pushed past him and began heading into the house, counting down.

Three, two, one.

Zack sighed, annoyed. “Ali, why do you always have to be such a tag-along?”

I paused, leaning against the door. “It’s your choice.”

We stared each other down for a long moment. However, I had never been very good at staring contests.

“Okay, fine,” I sighed, blinking rapidly while Zack grinned at his win. I formed a new plan. “How about you go see Zombie Slayer 5 and I’ll see if the Twerbs want to go see that new Jack Black movie with me.” Getting away from the house for a few hours—even if it was with the twins—would be worth it, I decided.

Zack considered the proposal and then nodded thoughtfully. “Alright. And you won’t tell mom that we’re not all seeing the same movie?”

“Of course. I’m not a snitch, Zack.”

We headed inside and found Andrew and James in the living room, playing Wii boxing while Jacob watched. Jacob practically worshiped the Twerbs, following them everywhere, doing whatever they did. I thought it was kind of cute—it was like Jacob was their two-years-late triplet. Plus it meant he wasn’t following me around all day.

Andrew and James both had short cut red hair, with freckles exploding all over their faces. Even though the Twerbs were fraternal twins, they still looked freakishly alike. But I could always tell them apart, even when James wasn’t wearing his glasses. Their faces weren’t the same shape. I remember when they were younger Mom used to call them “apple” and “banana” head, simply because Andrew’s face was rounder and fuller than James’s, which was slender, more banana like.

“Hey, do you guys want to go see a movie?” I asked as Zack and I entered the tiny living room. From the reaction I may as well have been talking to a wall, not even acknowledging we’d entered the room.

“We’re busy,” Andrew replied several seconds later, his eyes not leaving the TV.

“Looks like Andy’s kicking your butt Jay-man,” Zack laughed as Andrew landed a punch that knocked James’s figure to the mat. James cursed silently, pushing his glasses up higher on his nose, a costly move.

“What movie?” Jacob asked, seeming to be glad for something to do other than watch the twins playing the game. Jacob’s most defining feature had to be his light brown hair. It was almost as long as mine, coming to his shoulders while mine came to my back. Mom had tried to get him to cut it shorter for years, but Jake just couldn’t be won over. Today he had it up in a ponytail, showcasing his bright blue eyes.

“That new Jack Black one. You know, about the astronaut?” I replied.

“I’ve been wanting to see that one,” Andrew said, finally looking away from the TV as it flashed “WINNER” in big letters across the screen.

“Can we stop by the magic shop after?” James asked, taking the loss in stride.

I rolled my eyes. The first store the Twerbs had located after moving was the magic shop down town in the strip mall. Back in Seattle they went to the magic shop at least once a week and then would come home and practice their magic tricks for hours on end. My brothers were such nerds.

“I don’t care,” I shook my head. Graceful compromise was a skill I’d learned very young. Even if I said no to going to the magic shop or to the scary movies, I would always be outvoted. But there was always the possibility I’d be able to sneak over to the cute little boutique near the magic shop. Maybe if Zack didn’t take all my money I’d actually be able to buy something. A new purse was sounding good right about now.

“Alright then,” Zack said, clapping his hands together. “Off we go little siblings.” He began ushering us towards the front door. I made a disgusted noise as he knocked me into the stairs. Zack was so pushy.

“Off to where?”

Mom poked her head around the corner of the kitchen as the five of us reached the front door. Her red hair was curly and frazzled, while her plump face showed the toll that having six children took on a woman. She wore an apron, her standard attire. Baggy circles were under her eyes, reminding me that she hadn’t gotten much sleep last night either.

“Oh, we’re going to the movies,” Zack replied easily, glancing at me.

“The new Jack Black movie,” I jumped in, looking briefly at Zack who nodded in approval.

“We’re giving you the afternoon off,” James laughed.

“And we’re using our own money,” Andrew added.

“My money, he means,” I muttered. “Which reminds me. . . I need to go get my purse.”

“Did you invite everybody?” Mom asked as I turned to head up the stairs. I could see her counting us, trying to determine if we were all present and accounted for.

I frowned. “Actually, I don’t think we invited Pete. I’ll ask him.”

Running up the stairs I went to my bedroom first. I had to dig through a few boxes to find my worn, brown purse. Then after grabbing my wallet of the desk and throwing it into the purse I headed to Pete and Zack’s room.

“Knock, knock,” I said, pushing the door that was already slightly ajar open all the way. Pete was sitting on his bed, sports illustrated propped up against his chest. He looked over at me and smiled.

“Hey Ali. What’s up?”

“We’re going to go see a movie. D’you want to come?” I gestured towards the stairs, visible from his door.

Pete shrugged, and I could instantly tell from his face that he would rather not come. “Eh . . .”

“It’s okay Pete. Mom just wanted to make sure everyone got invited.”

He smiled, but then turned back to his magazine. “Thanks, Squirt. Let me know if you think I’d like it. . . whatever it is.”

“Will do,” I replied, shutting his door.

I walked down the stairs, actually looking forward to this little excursion. It would be good for me to get away for a while, out of the real world. I had spent most of today trying to keep my mind off of school, only two days away. A movie, spending time with the family, it would all provide a very nice distraction.

“Alright, I’m ready,” I said lightly, lilting to a stop at the bottom of the stairs.

My brothers and mom looked up suddenly, startled. They had been standing close together, almost in a huddle. But as soon as they saw me they all stepped away. I frowned. What was going on?

I waited for them to say something, but when no one said anything I had to fill the

silence.

“Is everything okay?” I asked, confused.

“Of course,” Mom answered, looking at me as if I was the one acting strange. Why were they all staring at me?

“Alright, well we have a movie to make,” Zack said, glancing at his watch. He motioned for me and I walked over to the door, trying to shake off the weird feeling in the pit of my stomach.

“Well, you kids have fun,” Mom said, lightly, calling after us. Then in a tone I’d only heard my mother use once, “Stay out of trouble.”

Zack nodded and out of the corner of my eye I saw the Twerbs and Jacob nod as well. I grimaced. Was I missing something here? Last night with Pete and the baseball bat, scanning the woods, and now my mother warning us to “stay out of trouble”? Was Louisville really crime central run by mobsters or something? And being a small, boring town was just their cover?

I didn’t have too much time to contemplate my family’s strange behavior because Zack was honking at me. I started, realizing I hadn’t opened the door to our huge blue van—I was just standing there with my hand on the handle like an idiot. Shaking my head I climbed in.

Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:19 am
Lena.Wooldridge wrote a review...

Obviously, I have not read the other chapters, so I will be missing parts of the plot. I'll try to refrain from griping to much about apparent holes in the plot - but it would be good to review to make sure all holes are filled :)

deck once again—except this time

Use a semi-colon or a comma instead of the dash-mark-thing.

and I was wearing jeans along with a light pink button up blouse instead of PJ’s

I hate hate hate it when people describe their MC's clothing, there's no reason for it, so leave it out.

Also, instead of having my guitar I had a book my friend Staci back in Seattle had given me as a farewell present.

You need more commas, the sentence should read as follows:
Also, instead of having my guitar, I had a book my friend, Staci, from back in Seattle, had given me as a farewell present.

Normally I wasn’t into the whole fantasy literature which she was crazy about

You need a comma after "Normally" as well as after "literature", and I would put an "of" in before "which".

Who knew vampires could be so compelling?

Oh lord, another vampire book.... :P

“Hey Al,”

Should be: "Hey, Al,"

along with my suspicion. “What do you want, Zackary?” I asked contemptuously,

woah, this was really mean and uncalled for? Is your MC just a mean person? Is she mad about something? What's she suspicious about? Is she not allowed to read vampire books or something?

God wrapped perfection up in such a neat little package

Haha, this Zack character is really funky and nerdy.. I don't know anyone who talks like that.

Wow.

That isn't a full sentence.

Compliments, not hitting me once during this entire five second period.

Huh?

second oldest brother

Haha, what the heck, why not just say brother? Find another, better, way to tell the reader that she has two brothers, and he is the middle brother.

“How much?” I asked.

What the heck?

“How much?”

Double what-the-heck?

They invited me to go see a movie with them— Zombie Slayer 5. Guaranteed to be even more gruesome than number 4.”

Going to a Matinee only costs 7.50, night showings are like $9. Nowhere near $25. Also, could you think of a less-lame name that Zombie Slayer?

How old are these people? Haha. Sorry, I laughed at this part, it's kinda lame.

maybe I should sit on your face for a couples minutes. I’m feeling kinda gassy after that burrito I had for lunch.

Hahahahaha. What the heck? Oh wow.

hard earned cash

Try to avoid cliches.

“Um . . . no,” Zack, scoffed.

There's no need to put spaces in between the elipses (...), and take away the comma after "Zack".

Three, two, one.

Why is she counting?

However, I had never been very good at staring contests.

Zombie Slayer 5 and I’ll see

Comma needed after "5".

Wii boxing

There's no need to mention the Wii. It's lame, just bugs me.

Twerbs

Who are the Twerbs? If this is their last name, I'd change it. Its just dumb.

freakishly

Just... no.

I'm going to stop there. For this most part, this is well-written, but very dry.
To be honest, I don't care that Zack and the twerbs and the MC and whoever went to see the movie.... Bleh. Put something exciting in there!

Sorry if I seemed rude, I'm just trying to help you improve as a writer : )

PM me for any questions! And be sure to check out my work!

-Lena

Stupid risks make life worth living.
— Homer Simpson