Sebastian Faulks - Human Traces

by adeleay

The phrase 'Human Traces' is a perfect summary to one amazing book. Human traces leads us through the lives of two psychiatrists during the late 19th and early 20th century. In this novel, Faulks explores the concept of what makes us human and wether mental illness is the price we pay for the dominant species.

The main plot takes us through the lives of Thomas Midwinter, his sister Sonia and Jaques Rebiere. It demonstrates how as human beings we are naturally inquisitive and question the unknown. The narrative also demonstrates how it is the fear of the unknown that caused the mentally unwell to be shunned in 19th century and early 20th century society and how 'mad doctors' as they were so called were themselves 'mad' in exploring the concept of human mentality. Faulks does this effectively and throughout the narrative conveys how human mentality effects us all at some point during our lives, wether or not we are directly mentally ill ourselves. Faulks also demonstrates the how great minds can also become 'lost' and this is illustrated by the mental deterioration of the character of Thomas later in the narrative. Faulks also juxtaposes the ideas of suffering and paradise and how all the tranquility and luxury in the world cannot cure those who are unable to witness it's beauty.

'Human Traces', i would recommend to anyone who enjoys reading novels with a further philosophical meaning. You are able to sympathize with all the characters and comprehend how despite all of human evolution there is still nothing that prevents us from being immune to pain, suffering and emotional hurt. Faulks is asking one fundamental question with 'Human Traces' and that is 'Is a better understanding of our emotions making us more vulnerable towards their effects? Are our reactions any more rational or do human kind still primitive and unable to grasp the concept of entering the unkown?'

adeleay says...

I thought Human traces was an excellent book. At times it can seem to drag but overall it is an amazing book. Gahks, it is worth considering as it is an excellent read. I am hoping to read Charlotte Gray at some point as i need to read it for school next year :) I also hope to read Birdsong as i have seen reviews for it before and people appear to enjoy it a great deal.

Gahks says...

I love 'Birdsong'!

Haven't read 'Human Traces' yet; is it worth considering?

Heidigirl666 wrote a review...

And what did you think of it?

I've read it, but I found myself flagging a bit towards the end. It's sooo long, and there are some bits which I found were a bit hard to get my head round. It is an excellent read though; I liked the subject he tackled, because it isn't often you hear much about the development of psychiatry. It gives a really interesting insight into it.

Sebastian Faulks is a fantastic writer. Have you read 'Birdsong' or 'Charlotte Gray'? I'd probably say I prefer those to 'Human Traces', especially 'Birdsong'. I seem to remember (it's been a while since I've read it) that it made me cry. I tried to read Engleby recently, and the beginning was the most dull start to a novel that I've ever read though. :?

I didn't want to slow time, I just wanted to make a little rock.
— MomoMajesty's brother