An Orange Bird

by ab21

I was that weird child

who used to be afraid of an orange bird so much

that people thought, I was suffering from some

medical condition.

That orange bird used to sit on my shoulder

with its long and sharp beak

so close to my ear..

it's voice

like needles boring holes in my arteries

making me whine and cry.

****

That bird was a pain for me

so was I for the neighbours

But, I wasn't the goof

children couldn't lie

*****

I grew up

I grew up crying through nights

wrapping cotton sheets around my ears

running inside

when there were any aeroplanes in the sky

because I was sure

aeroplanes are nothing but cousins of that orange fellow

*****

One day, when I grabbed a knife from kitchen

And decided to end it

Mirror pointed toward my shoulder

on which it was sitting on..

Unnecessary part of me.

I remember the time, when I stopped crying

instead, I started to bang doors

and swear a lot

because that's what big children do..

That emergency appointment

Doctor asked me what my headache was about.

Why I was so depressed.

I lied.

I lied because then he would have filed

a reference to mental health.

*****

I was afraid of being called a confirmed lunatic.

*****

Day by day, I grew bigger

and it kept on shrinking

until I noticed, it was seeping into my skin

Traces of it, making

my own blood, strange.

an immortal orange hell.

**********

I am still that weird person

with an orange bird on my shoulder

seeping into my skin

But now I am an adult also,

I couldn't cry, whine and bang doors

or swear of course

instead,

I swallow. I swallow..

goldenbriarrose128 wrote a review...

This is so good, and I have never read anything like this! It really describes things about dealing with pain and 'inner struggles' as people grow up, and I think you wrote this very well. I don't see a lot of poems about mental illnesses other than depression (or I'm not looking hard enough haha). Keep on writing! The imagery was really good too! Snaps to you!

Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:44 am
klennon14 wrote a review...

Hi there! I really love the concept of this piece! I would also like to respectfully disagree with the reviewer below: I think this piece is definitely put together. I think there are a handful of kinks here and there that need to be straightened out, but like I said the overall concept is great. Personally, I think the previous reviewer saying "this could've been a lot better" is rude. Even if you don't like a piece or simply think it needs work, there are much more polite ways to express that.

Anyhow, let's look at a few nitpicks I have. These are just my opinion, so you can do whatever your heart desires with my rambling. ;)

First of all, the lines of astrics being different lengths is distracting. Not sure if you did that on purpose or not. I think you should try and make them the same length, because I do like the effect they create.

"who used to be afraid of an orange bird so much." I think we can reword this into something more concise: "who used to be so afraid of an orange bird," or "who used to be rattled by the presence of an orange bird" or something of that nature.

"I was afraid of being called a confirmed lunatic." I feel like the wording here is a bit off. Maybe "I was afraid of being deemed a total lunatic" or "complete whack job" or "I was afraid of the doctors confirming me as a lunatic."

"whine and bang doors" I would say "bang ON doors."

It's just little things like the nitpicks I mentioned that make a big impact. Just make sure you double check on your syntax and grammar is all.

Overall, I really love the meaning behind this piece. I think you did a great job, you just need to do a little clean sweep!

Happy writing,

Kali L.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:41 pm
Asher123 wrote a review...

Ummmm well this is something. So here's my review for this piece of poetry.

Orange bird-Mental Health -> Great touch. Although it has some features that are terrifying and reflect the true state of some unfortunate soul who suffers from a mental disorder the words..... well they just don't seem to end up together.. you know. I am not telling you to add rhyming in this but what i simply mean is that this could've been a lot better the Ending was good the Beginning was good too but you have to connect both the Ends to complete your piece. Anyways Nice work could've been better. Keep writing.

Is anyone else desperately waiting to see themselves in the quote gen?
— TheCursedCat