"Candy" - Part Seven (1/3)

by aaliyahlaurier

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for mature content.

A/N: long time no see my angels. i did soooo much revising on Wattpad over break. removed a lot of stuff, added some things. again, nothing that changes the plot, but if you're interested in finding out the reason behind why Groupie calls herself Groupie, quicker updates, and a more visually appealing reading experience go follow me on @aaliyah_laurier. i've split up the chapters into shorter parts on there, though. anyway, here's part seven! i'm very proud of it.

--

"Here you go," handing me two packs of peanut butter crackers, "you can have them if you want. I'm not hungry."

I'm concerned when Maya Ford*, the girl I just met last period, makes this offer.

"No, you need them," I argued, pushing them away. "I already ate."

But Maya Ford wouldn't argue over who would eat some silly peanut butter crackers ("Noooo, you take them, it's okayyyy, reallyyyyy"), as you would expect. Instead, she returned them to her otherwise empty Hello Kitty lunchbox and resumed nibbling on the limp broccoli in the bottom right section of her lunch tray.

"So, what happened with you and Tori again?" She tucked a lock of shoulder length dirty blonde hair behind her ear. "I mean, I've heard about her being friends with this one girl who was super annoying and stuff. But I don't think I've ever heard about you."

Oh, Maya.

I swallowed a spoonful of unsweetened applesauce. "I am the annoying girl she used to be friends with."

Even with my back turned to Tori's table, I could still hear those girls laughing uproariously, as if they were seated in the front row at Bozo the Clown's funniest show.

"Seriously?" Her fork held remnants of both broccoli and white rice. "I don't think you're annoying at all. I actually am enjoying your company so far."

A skeptical arch played on my eyebrows. "You just met me." *

"I know that, but if someone is annoying, you can tell pretty quickly."

I suppose so.

"Okay, that's true," I allowed, using my spoon to squish my mashed potatoes.

Then, the familiar cyber buzz made its long-awaited return, and I pulled my phone from my back pocket.

hey cutest. it's me again. can you talk?

I smiled much more than I probably should have. I could only recall about three other instances in my life when a girl my age had complimented me, and none of those occasions had anything to do with my looks or personality.

Cutest! She thinks I'm cute!

i can always talk if u need me

"Who's that?" asked Maya, jabbing her fork into those last two pieces of broccoli. "Must be important, you're smiling like a fucking fool in love."

I looked up and composed myself, half embarrassed. "No, just a girl I know. We were up talking until after midnight. I'm staying over this weekend."

"What girl?"

"Just a girl I met at group therapy." I set my phone on the table and tried to act natural. "She wants us to call her Groupie."'

Maya cringed. "Ew. Whatever her real name is, 'Groupie' is probably worse. I mean, really. I'd call myself something old and ugly like Polly, for example, before something trashy like 'Groupie.”

"Her name is Adrian, but she doesn't want people to call her that for some reason. I haven't really asked about it too much. I think she'll tell me when she wants."

Another thing I oddly hadn't thought to ask Groupie about was why she changed schools.

"Actually, Mr. Shapiro told me she went here last year. Adrian Santorio. I wonder what happened." I looked at her. "You know anything?"

Maya rolled her eyes, stirring the straw around in her carton of white milk.

"Everyone remembers Adrian," she said, as though it were a no-brainer. "She's that sick bitch who lied about being pregnant."

Christ.

"You're not serious," I scoffed, like I somehow had grounds to discredit Maya's claim, then I saw the serious-minded look on her face. "Wait. Are you serious?"

She shrugged at me. "Ask anyone. I'm sure they remember. It was this big huge thing. Supposedly, Ade was dating this guy at the school and told everyone she was pregnant by him, but no one believed her because she wouldn't say who the father was. So then she said she was going to bring an ultrasound picture for us the next Thursday, and guess what happened when next Thursday came? Nothing. She didn't show up Thursday or Friday."

My God, nothing can ever just be simple, can it?

"So what happened the following Monday?" I asked, curious.

"Absolutely nothing. Matter of fact, nothing happened that entire week. She didn't even talk to anybody, so everyone kind of just realized she'd lied about that. Then she had to do all of her school work in ISS for a few weeks after all that because people wanted to jump her. But then this year, no one saw her."

"Wait, sorry, I'm just trying to wrap my head around all of this. I was not expecting this. I was thinking maybe some bullying but... that's kind of insane. Should I ask her about it? I mean, not that I don't believe you, I just... I don't know how to feel right now."

Maya poked at her food. "She'll just lie. It's all she does. She also admitted to lying about being assaulted by one of the juniors."

I wondered if Maya knew the guy to whom this had happened.

"Like, I don't know a bigger attention seeker," she continued, "if you want to be a whore, then do that, but lying about assault is too far."

"What do you mean? About her being a whore?"

My food had barely been touched since this conversation started.

"Every guy I know has done stuff with her," nibbling a bit on her rice, "or they know a guy who has. Shit, this rice is stale as fuck."

I was speechless—not in a disgusted way, but in a 'who really is she?' sort of way. I couldn't help but wonder, there must be a story behind every girl like that, right*? There had to be more to the story than what this school had made of it.

My perfectly imperfect perception of Groupie had been tainted, but I wasn't disillusioned; I was simply seeing her more clearly.

With nothing more to add, I collected all my trash and tossed it into the bin at the table's foot, barely a foot away from where I sat.

Then, as though on cue, the sixth period bell rang.

"Hey, don't think I'm trying to scare you away from her or anything," Maya clarified, pushing her chair out. "You can do whatever, but," grabbing her lunch box and lunch tray, "she does whatever — and whoever."

She then stood up and dumped her tray.

"See you tomorrow," she said. "I'll let you know if I get any more tea on Tori."

From our table, I watched her blend into the stream of rushing students, disappearing from view.

Like I give a single fuck about Tori.

I reached for my phone, unsure of what else to make of what I was just told, except for one thing: Maya Ford was mistaken; girls like Groupie still deserved love.

FOOTNOTES:

* - Maya Ford was a sophomore who had a love/hate relationship with Tori.

* - funny coming from someone who was slowly but surely falling in love with a girl she's known for less than a week.

* - I started to realize I'd been idealizing her.

RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello Again, My Friend!

It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

This chapter was great! I feel like there was a lot to learn about Groupie here, but also a lot left to learn, creating a sort of mystery within her character and her past. However, at the same time, Donna's belief that Groupie still deserves understanding, respect, and love is very clear, and it's brilliant. Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

I have no complaints about this chapter!

Responding to your author's note, though I am not very active on Wattpad anymore...like at all...I'll give you a follow and upvote your story ~

Nice writing job!

Why The Grin Widened...

First of all, consistently throughout this book, you do a great job writing Donna's interactions with other students. Everything feels so real; like in this chapter, the "high school gossip" felt spot-on, and I love your attention to detail.

This being just one example, the mention of the rice is not only funny (because school lunches, right? lol), but it's just a great little tidbit to help bring out the setting and atmosphere.

It's also great to see that Donna has someone to talk to at this school! Maia sounds like an interesting person already, with access to "tea" on a certain character that shalt not be named, heh heh...I also loved it when she said this in response to the "annoying girl" bit:

Yes! Someone to reassure Donna that there are people who will appreciate her company, and prove Tori is full of it! Brilliant!

Anyway, moving on to the substance of the conversation, it was fascinating to learn more about Groupie. As I mentioned, it's a situation where the answers come with even more questions. Like, even if there were lies within the awful situations that were mentioned, there had to be a reason for them -and surely, some substance to the claims. Just as Donna said:

Spot-on, and I agree with Donna all the way. There has to be more to the situation, and it's not something to be taken with disgust or an idealistic viewpoint. I do hope we can come to understand Groupie more and see a moment of empathy ~

And finally, this closing line:

Maya Ford was mistaken; girls like Groupie still deserved love.

Yes, yes, yes! Love this!

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, this chapter was awesome, no wonder you're proud of it! Nicely done! :D

Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the mutated S’more?

Top Graham Cracker - Maya reveals a bit of Groupie’s past to Donna, who isn’t disgusted at all, but still wants to be Groupie’s friend. Only time will tell what becomes of the two of them…

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - I have nothing to say here as if right now. I’m just excited for the next chapter.

Chocolate Bar - Well, it’s nice that Donna still cares about Groupie even after what she learned from Maya. After all, the school was only watching from the outside, they didn’t know about Groupie’s whole life. What happens next with Donna and Groupie will depend on them meeting up in Groupie’s trailer.

Closing Graham Cracker - A chapter going on with the truth of Groupie (or at least some of it), and that she isn’t entirely perfect, I enjoyed reading. I wonder how Groupie felt in those situations, because she’s the only one who knows the real truth, and I wonder how long Donna will want to be her friend.

I wish you a lovely day/night! ^v^

In any free society, the conflict between social conformity and individual liberty is permanent, unresolvable, and necessary.
— Kathleen Norris