z

Young Writers Society



And This is the Crazy Part

by _fallingstar_


Cliched Prologue: I Hate My Job

Pixie was bored.

She so should NOT have taken this job. What had possesed her to even think about it in the first place, anyway?

Pixie idly stared playing with her neon-pink nametag, her name spelled out on it in sparkly gold lettering. Unfortunately, it was a requirement for all employees to wear one, otherwise Pixie would have trashed it a long time ago. It contrasted sharply with her teal dress.

The tag read:

Pixie

Chief of Development

Section Two

Pixie glared at it in distaste. She was 99.9 % positive that Fairy Godmother had made that title up. Chief of Development? Hah! As if. Pixie didn't develop anything for the company, much less was a Chief of a section. No, it was only a title to make her job sound professional, as if she was actually doing something important.

Yeah, right.

The gold lettering on her nametag suddenly caught the light, momentarily blinding her.

Leave it to Fairy Godmother to create something impractical.

For supposedly being the Chief of Development, Pixie's office was rather drab. The large room boasted a huge desk--accompanied by trademark paperwork scattered haphazardly across its polished surface--matching wooden chairs with plump blue cushions, making her guady nametag stand out even more, and, of cource, the infamous Fantasyland poster. It was Fairy Godmother's advertising pride and joy, lovingly ripped off from Disneyland.

Although Pixie didn't know much about the human world, she was 99.9% sure that the human-owned company would sue them through the wings if they found out that Fairy Godmother was using a picture of their beloved castle to promote her own theme park.

And it's not that good of a theme park to begin with, Pixie thought, spinning in her chair momentarily. What kind of theme park has to kidnap people to get visitors?

Shaking her head, Pixie turned her attention back to her laptop screen. A sonar-like scanner covered the screen; black with a few green circles, a green line moving perpetually in clockwise motion.

This was Pixie's real job; to watch the monitor, and immediately report anything that was picked up.

She hated it to bits.

Nothing had appeared on the scanner for years. Pixie was starting to suspect how this job had become open in the first place; the 'Chief of Development' before her must have gone crazy.

As she thought this, Pixie pulled up another window on the computer.

That person must have not been very good at Solitare, Pixie thought, continuing her game with gusto, happy to be doing anything except her real job.

And, of course, at that very moment, the sonar picked up something.

Beep.

Pixie froze. I'm hearing things.

Beep.

She minimized the Solitare screen and stared at the sonar. Sure enough, a tiny green dot had appeared at the far bottom right of the screen.

Beep.

The next five minutes were composed solely of Pixie banging her head on her desk.

Naturally, Rolf, the elf with the office next door, heard the noise and came through the door about 28.9 seconds later, his face white.

"Is it--?"

Pixie stopped banging her head on the desk long enough to answer.

"Yes, Rolf, it is."

Silence.

"But that means that we have to--"

"I know, Rolf."

The elf sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"I REALLY hate this job."

"Me too, Rolf," Pixie said, folding her hands underneath her chin. With her lithe body, pale skin, and cascading black hair, the posture would have almost seemed regal if it wasn't for the large red spot on her forehead that was rapidly turning into a bruise.

"But where else can we go?"

Rolf sighed.

"I'll get the paperwork."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
50 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 50

Donate
Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:47 pm
_fallingstar_ says...



Nothing new, just changed the title to something less cliched (the irony.)

Should have the next chapter up in a week or so, if I don't get buried under a mountain of homework. :D




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 335

Donate
Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:16 am
Fireweed wrote a review...



Phorcys, of course you should comment on pieces you disliked and give the writer constructive criticism, but I think it's possible to do that w/o offending them. :)

Anyway, I personally liked this. I like pieces that take cliches and do something original with them. I didn't find this hilarious, but it was quite amusing. I admire people who can write funny stuff. I think it would be difficult for me...

Keep it up!




User avatar
50 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 50

Donate
Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:12 pm
_fallingstar_ says...



Thank you for the post, Lilyy03. (See Phorcys? That's the nice way to disagree with someone.)

I agree that the first chapter is rather confusing, but it was meant to be so. I'm saving the better cliches for later, particularly in the next chapter when we hear the Random Prophesy and discover more about the Fairy Godmother.

I'm still in the planning phase for most of this work, so all POSITIVE comments are greatly appreciated. I'm not going for a work fit for publication, just something that anyone can enjoy.




User avatar
116 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 116

Donate
Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:12 pm
Lilyy03 wrote a review...



On one hand, I agree that parodies of cliches tend to become cliches themselves. But, if one can be creative, engaging, and (perhaps most importantly) funny, it can still be done well. (I think a good example of fantasy cliche parody is My New Really Epic Fantasy Series by Garth Nix, who is a brilliant writer of serious fantasy.)

Some of this didn't really feel as if it was a parody. I see the points you're trying to make, but I didn't find it all that funny. Ideally, the story shouldn't confuse readers as to whether you're serious about it or not. ;)

Though you do have some delightful spots throughout--

After about twenty minutes (and still no sign of the waterworks stopping) Jake had finally had enough.

That made me laugh :D

Overall, this seems quite good.




User avatar
614 Reviews


Points: 1106
Reviews: 614

Donate
Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:36 pm
Swires says...



So in effect I only have to reply to stories which I like? Lets not go into the realms of silliness.




User avatar
50 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 50

Donate
Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:36 pm
_fallingstar_ says...



*scratches head* Okay, I have no idea why the chapter has been posted twice.

To Phorcys: If it's not for you, then don't post. :wink:




User avatar
614 Reviews


Points: 1106
Reviews: 614

Donate
Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:42 pm
Swires says...



Im not a fan of stories that cash in on cliches by making them comical. Because, in effect parody's are cliche in themselves. One person takes the mickey out of fantasy stories and the next thing everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.

Not for me.




User avatar
50 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 50

Donate
Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:30 pm
_fallingstar_ says...



Cliched Chapter One: I Have No Idea What's Going On Part Two

Surprisingly, Jake wasn't the only teenager in the area that had suddenly found themselves in a strange situation. Sara had woken up after a bizarre experience with a man in an orc mask wielding a club to find herself in a huge four-poster bed with golden-silk sheets.

Very odd, indeed.

It got stranger what a footman (or is it a doorman?) suddenly appeared and announced the arrival of Their Royal Highnesses, the King and Queen of the Kingdom of Fantasyland (because of some unknown talent, the footman could speak in capitals).

Before Sara (or the readers) could even begin to process what was happening, two obviously royal persons appeared in the doorway.

With the excessive amount of makeup that they were wearing, the mountains of silk and fur on their clothes, and the powdered white wigs, they looked like French noblemen before the Revolution. And before even that could sink in, the pair had rushed over to Sara, hugging, kissing, and generally smothering her.

Since no one likes to be smothered by complete strangers, it only took a split second for Sara to start struggling against the barrage.

"Get OFF me! Who the heck are you people?!"

The king and the queen (as Sara rightfully assumed that they were) slowly backed away from Sara, staring at her with heartbroken expressions. However, the queen would not let go off Sara's hand.

"Why, the court wizard swore that you had been cured of the enchantment!" the queen exclaimed.

Sara blinked. "Huh?"

"He has lied to us!" the king declared with a flourish of his hand. "He shall be beheaded for this treachery!" The two rose for the door.

"Hey! Wait a sec!" Sara said. "What the heck is going on?! You're not seriously going to kill someone just because I don't know two absolute strangers, are you?"

"But he has lied to the king and queen!" the king said, still flourishing with his hand. It was rather annoying.

"But what did he lie to you about, anyway?" Sara asked, hoping that an explanation for her situation would soon follow.

The king and the queen looked at each other, as though trying to reach a silent consensus.

"Shortly after you were born, you were taken from us by the evil Dark Knight that haunts this kingdom," the queen began.

Sara raised a skeptical eyebrow.

"The Dark Knight was going to feed you to his dragon so that the prophesy foretelling his death would never come true, but by the will of the gods you were rescued by a virtuous griffin and taken far away from here," the queen continued.

Sara didn't believe a word. It sounded like something straight out of a cliched fantasy novel. "And you know this how, exactly?"

"Er... we..." the queen faltered. She looked desperately towards the king.

"Because... because the court wizard was able to use a hair from your head that was left behind after your kidnapping to determine what has happened to you all this time," the king answered, at first looking feverish but then becoming more convinced of his answer as he continued.

"And this is the same court wizard you were about to behead three minutes ago because he lied to you?" Sara asked, hoping that the two would see the insanity of their statement.

The king and queen stared at Sara for a moment.

"OFF WITH HIS HEAD!" the king shouted, flourishing dramatically. They ran towards the door, silks rippling.

"Wait a second!" Sara shouted after them. "I don't think that he lied, I just think that you've got the wrong--"

The door slammed behind them.

"--person," Sara finished with a sigh.

"What kind of crazy place have I fallen into?"




User avatar
50 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 50

Donate
Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:29 pm
_fallingstar_ says...



EDIT: please disregard this post.




User avatar
59 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 59

Donate
Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:28 pm
Vampirewolf3 wrote a review...



I saw in your first post that the company kidnapped people to play in their amusement park, and that was what I was expecting in the second chapter when I learned that Jake was kidnapped. Try making it a bit more obvioust that you are transitioning to something else or that the second chapter had something to do this the theme park.

"Ah, what the heck," Jake said finally. "Where do we start?"

I dunno. Kinda awkward.




User avatar
50 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 50

Donate
Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:43 am
_fallingstar_ says...



Cliched Chapter One: I Have No Idea What's Going On

Jake woke up when the pig snorted in his face.

"GAH!"

He jolted up with a start, staring at the animal in horror. "What the--?"

Jake was in a wooden barn that was piled high with hay and with a thick coat of the stuff spread out on the floor. The roof beams creaked as a light wind blew through the cracks in the wall.

The pig stared up at Jake balefully with its beady little eyes, snorted once, and then went back to eating the hay stuck to Jake's pants.

"Hey! Stop it!" Jake protested, kicking the pig away from him. The animal snorted at him once more and then ambled away.

"Stupid pig," Jake muttered, rubbing the lump on the back of his head. The last thing he remembered was walking home and then some guy with a club had jumped out of the bushes at him. He also remembered thinking that the guy must be crazy; who wears a Lord of the Rings orc mask after Halloween? Apparently, though, the crazy guy had a purpose.

"Why would he want to kidnap someone like me?" Jake mused aloud. Kidnapping was the most logical explanation for his situation, after all.
"It's not like I have any money..." Jake continued, but then he noticed his clothes.

"What the fudge happened to my shirt?!"

Apparently, someone had taken his white shirt, dragged it through some dirt, burned holes in it with a lighter, and ripped of the bottom seam, causing the shirt to start unraveling. That what it looked like, anyway. His pants weren't well off either. Someone had cut and ripped them, too. To top it off, his shoes had completely disappeared.

"Great," Jake said, throwing his hands in the air. "Now I look like a hobo."

Just as Jake had ended his sentence, the whistling started.

It wasn't good whistling, however. There was no discernible tune, and it sounded as though the whistler couldn't carry one even if he tried.

A pudgy old man entered the barn. White whiskers covered his round face, and a pot belly peaked out from underneath his cotton shirt. He wore a crudely woven straw hat on his head, and carried a shovel that rested on one shoulder. He stopped whistling when he saw Jake.

"So that's where y'were, ya rascal!" the man boomed out in a voice as jolly as Santa Claus at the mall.

Jake simply stared at the man, too confused to talk for the moment.

"I were lookin' fer ya everywheres!" the man continued. "Yer parents said ya'd git here earlier, ya rascal!"

I've fallen into Hillbilly country, Jake thought. "Who are you?" he asked out loud.

"Me is yer Uncle Casper!" the man said, opening his arms as though he expected Jake to hug him.

"You mean, 'I am your Uncle Casper,'" Jake corrected. "Not 'me is.'"

"Aw, grammar's fer ninnycompoopers!" Uncle Casper said, dismissing Jake's statement. "Anywhos, we've got a lot a stuff ter git done, so..."

"But I don't have an uncle," Jake said pointedly, crossing his arms. This situation was getting increasingly suspicious. "Both of my parents were only children."

Uncle Casper stopped walking towards the barn door and turned around slowly. He grinned widely at Jake, who recoiled when he realized that Uncle Casper was missing most of his teeth and the ones he did have were yellow and rotten.

"Why, that's why I send mw friend Webb ter collect ya," Uncle Casper said. "I jus' wanted ter git back in touch wi' me family is all..."

He pulled out an extremely dirty handkerchief from the breast pocket of his overalls and loudly blew his nose. Jake was thoroughly grossed out.

"I can't believe they forget ol' Casper!" the man bawled for no apparent reason. Jake stood there, thoroughly unmoved by the fat man's tears, tapping his foot as the minutes went by.

After about twenty minutes (and still no sign of the waterworks stopping) Jake had finally had enough.

"OKAY! What the heck am I supposed to do to make you stop?!"

Casper immediately stopped crying and began grinning like a banshee. "Glad yer see it my way!" he said, walking over to Jake and slapping him on the back. Jake, having never been good at sports, almost fell over.

"I'm goin' ter teach ya what yer needs ter know ter take over me farm!" Uncle Casper declared.

"I going to--what now?" Jake blanched.

"Take over me farm!" Casper said again.

"You kidnapped me so that I could learn to run some smelly old farm?!"

"Er--yes?"

There was a long silence.

"Ah, what the heck," Jake said finally. "Where do we start?"

Cliched Chapter One: I Have No Idea What's Going On Part Two Coming Soon




User avatar
236 Reviews


Points: 4825
Reviews: 236

Donate
Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:53 pm
carelessaussie13 wrote a review...



You know what would make this really funny? A unicorn technician! If you can keep up the cliched style through the whole thing, I think it'll be great, but I know how hard it is to not drag off into just telling the story straight-out without the characterized style you've got going on so far! Absolutely top-notch, though. Encore! :D




User avatar
59 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 59

Donate
Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:27 pm
Vampirewolf3 says...



The tag read:

Pixie
Chief of of Development
Section Two

Yeah. I agree with Pixie: Chief of of Development does sound awkward.
Other than that, I liked it.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:56 pm
wonderwitch wrote a review...



Well, I was certainly aware that this story is going to be a comedy by the end of this selection, even if it has not yet been absolutely shown that it'll be a parody. I agree with Jiggity on the bit about pointing out the cliches you include: it is unnecessary, slightly annoying, and, to be honest, a bit tacky. It's not funny as a parody unless you let your writing emphasize the ridiculous parts by itself.
I like where this is going, though, and your writing style seems to fit the general style of the story pretty well. Nice job!




User avatar
50 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 50

Donate
Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:44 pm
_fallingstar_ says...



Thanks a lot for the review; I'll change the typo right now.

Yes, the story is a parody; it supposed to be about overused cliches in fantasy fiction. That will become clearer in the next chapter. :D




User avatar
798 Reviews


Points: 6517
Reviews: 798

Donate
Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:57 am
Jiggity wrote a review...



Okay. I'm a bit confused about where you stand with this story. Are you serious about it? It seems good, except there bits and pieces I didnt like. Is this a parody?

of cource,


of course.

And, of course, in the first of many cliches in this story, the sonar or radar or whatever it was picked up something.


Get rid of this; it serves no purpose. Let us pick up the cliche's on our own. This quote indicates this is a parody but the rest of the piece doesnt fit in with that. It's as if you are a bit uncertain. I dunno, figure it out and adjust it suitably.

Otherwise, it was pretty good.





See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask for no guarantees, ask for no security.
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451