z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Adryan's Promise - Chapter 1.1 (The River)

by Zoom


Who am I?

That was the first thought to ever enter my mind—or rather, the empty chamber that should have contained the answer to that question and every other question nobody wanted to find themselves asking.

Where am I? When? Why?

To find answers I would need to remember, but attempting to do so resulted in excruciating pain, pain that took up more space than I existed in, pain that clearly warned: backwards isn’t a direction your mind can travel.

Forward, then.

My eyes cracked open. Hazy shapes swam before me, a mesh of vibrant colours that bled into each other, none of them having a clear beginning or end. After a while, they slowed to a lazy drift, then sharpened and separated. My surroundings materialised, and with that came a sudden sense of gravity; I was lying atop a rough surface, my head tilted to one side.

I found myself inside a crescent-shaped cave, the opening of which was veiled by a vertical torrent. The water glistened and twinkled as sunlight filtered through from outside, creating a dancing display of light and shadow on the craggy walls.

A word formed in my mind. I said it out loud before I even decided to. My voice was deep, with a smooth, velvety tone.

"Waterfall."

How was it possible for me to know that? How could I know it was called a waterfall, but at the same time know I'd never seen one before?

There were too many unanswerable questions swarming around my mind. With each passing second, another would appear and sprout feverish wings before taking flight and joining the others. I needed to get up before I went insane. Or perhaps further insane would have been a fairer statement. There was just one slight issue; I couldn't move. My body felt like it hadn’t been used for a century (which for all I knew, was true). I had a vague sense of my extremities, but couldn't differentiate individual fingers and toes or the bend in my arms and legs. I was a slab of meat that barely resembled a human figure.

A slab of meat that wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

***

I wasted about half a day attempting to stand.

The sun's position, which I saw through the waterfall, served as a rough measurement of time. When I woke, it had been hovering just above the floor. By the time I was ready to give up standing--I got as far as being able to wobble my legs--it had risen past the ceiling, taking much of my visibility along with it.

I was still determined to gain control of my body but now accepted, albeit resentfully, that I needed to start smaller. So, I closed my eyes, relaxed, and simply honed in on my senses.

My eyes ached for a few minutes after closing them but otherwise seemed to work. A white imprint of the sun danced on the back of my eyelids, like the eye of someone (or something) keeping me in sight.

The cave was filled with the thunderous roar of the waterfall. It sounded like it cascaded from high above and continued below for quite some time. It was so loud and incessant that my brain could tune it out altogether.

A mossy aroma clung in the air, catching in my nose with every inhale. I tried to breathe through my mouth but it made my tongue feel fuzzy and stiff.

My first breakthrough came when I explored my sense of touch. I felt the bumpy surface of the cave against my spine, and every painful stone beneath my head. But that wasn't all. It was so subtle that I surprised myself by detecting it at all.

Every so often I felt the gentlest of touches, like tiny insects landing on my exposed skin. One of them landed on my cheek and a tickling sensation trailed away from it, onto my nose.

Droplets. I opened my eyes and surveyed the edge of the cave. Sure enough, the waterfall clipped it in some areas, sending up splashes of water.

Somehow, the waterfall saved me.

Every drop helped me map out a new part of my body. More than that, the water gave me what I can only describe as . . . life. In fact, it stopped feeling like water altogether. Each droplet was like a tiny ball of energy seeping into my skin and igniting the muscles and bones beneath. And the more I opened myself up to the idea that the water was healing me, the better I started to feel. I felt a connection to the waterfall as if it were an extension of my own body, only not in a physical sense--the physical world could crumble and burn to ash and be swept aside by the relentless passing of time and still the connection I felt to the waterfall would remain.

The sun began its descent behind the cave; the light faded until the water turned grey and there wasn't much difference between having my eyes open or closed.

Despite the energy flowing into me from the waterfall, exhaustion took over and sleep carried me away.

***

When I awoke for the second time in my life, I felt stronger.

Part of me still couldn't believe it. I hadn't eaten or drank anything in, well, maybe never. I started out with the agility of a tree. How could I feel better than before?

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't healed. I wasn't about to jump up and do backflips. Yet, the difference was remarkable. I could raise my left arm and touch my face. There wasn't a part of my body that I couldn't at least flex. But what I was most grateful for, was being able to lift my head and sweep away the pebbles underneath. As I did so, damp, shoulder-length hair ran between my fingers.

Feeling my hair--learning something about my identity--sparked an idea.

The water helped my body heal. Maybe it could do the same thing for my mind. Maybe it could restore my memories. Why not? I didn't have anything to lose.

The sun was dead centre of the waterfall, with beautiful golden tones bleeding around it, making the water seem like liquid glass. I closed my eyes and focused like I did before, but this time on my mind, my inability to recall a single memory. I opened myself to the waterfall and its mysterious power.

A droplet landed on my forehead, and that was when everything fell apart.

My brain exploded with agony, as if my skull was caging a monster that was trying with all its might to break free.

My eyes snapped open and a searing, white-hot pain started on each iris, circling around the pupil and connecting with the other side.

Something was roaring in my ears, drowning out the waterfall.

I was screaming.

The pain consumed me.

***

It took a while before I could trust the water again.

When I regained consciousness, it was with an overwhelming sense of respect. I was messing with something I didn't understand, something real and more powerful than I anticipated.

For hours, I could only lay there, staring apologetically at the water and daring myself to re-establish my connection with it. What little strength I had accumulated began to fade, until I had to abandon caution if I wanted to survive.

And so, I refocused my thoughts on my physical being, opened myself to the waterfall, and continued my journey towards healing.

I set myself small tasks, like being able to bend my legs or fold my arms. Each time I reached a new milestone, I let myself fall asleep and recharge.

Five days. That's how long I'd say I spent in that cave. Sometimes I woke, caught a new cycle of the sun and watched it float its way up the waterfall. Other times I opened my eyes to the inky blackness of the night.

On the last day, I knew I was ready to stand. I already lifted myself into a sitting position and slept with my back against the cave. My body felt flexible. Strong.

I placed a hand on either side and pushed off against the wall. As I ascended, I walked backwards until my heels were parallel with my shoulders and my legs had taken on my body weight. And with that, I was on my feet.

I marched forward, reaching out and allowing my fingertips to enter the waterfall.

The feeling that washed over me was euphoric. It was like the water poured into my fingers, into my body, filling me with raw energy, sparking every nerve with power.

With hands cupped together, I brought water to my lips and drank. If I felt strong before, it was nothing compared to how I felt after the water splashed to the pit of my stomach. An explosion of energy rocked my body, turning into a scream of triumph which tore out of me on its own accord.

I stood awhile, gliding my fingers across the surface of the waterfall, surveying it with utmost gratitude.

"Thank you, friend."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1272 Reviews


Points: 89625
Reviews: 1272

Donate
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:09 am
Rosendorn wrote a review...



Hello. Here as requested, forever and a day later.

My first thought upon reading this: "oh, joy, an amnesia beginning." The opening snippet read like a mirror scene, feeling forced to just introduce something. Like you didn't know where to start and just picked a writing exercise and decided there was something there.

Which is fine for a start, but to build something engaging, there needs to be a bit more.

This was almost agonizingly slow. I found myself midway through with the slightest fade of suspension of disbelief— somebody with total amnesia, who didn't even know the word for "waterfall" for awhile— knew they had to eat and drink? It felt too self aware for the slow, crawling to awareness of the rest of the work.

Take a good hard look at the internal consistency and set up the rules for what this character knows and when they learn it, while also making sure you give us a sense of when they learn it and how it applies. Because right now it feels a little scrambling, a little "drat I need them to not feel inhuman and have them be aware what can I add." Putting in some purposeful thought (while also paring down the bulk of how long it takes to reach a certain point) will help this be believable, and increase the engagement because we get some reactions in there.

The water was, fittingly enough, your saving grace here. It was interesting, the relationship building up and down. That was the sense of magic, this tingle to keep reading to find out what it is, but it was given, in some places, very plainly. The re-building of trust didn't have enough emotion in it for me, because there wasn't true wariness that comes with such an experience for me, and there was a lack of anything else to tell me why there wasn't wariness.

The voice is pretty solid and I must admit I enjoy the mystery of the blankness, but it's transparent, for me. I can see you're purposely trying to generate ambiguity. I can see you're purposely trying to set up chess pieces for a rather epic game. And while they're set up rather well, they're the only things there.

If you want a work that goes to great lengths setting up chess pieces, I'd suggest reading Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. Don't let the blurb put you off, because the book is very much not a supernatural romance, but it's setting up a future romance in a very obvious way while also not only setting up the distant future but giving you a sense of current setting and plot.

All in all, slow but curious. I read all the way through because there was something there, and I might read the remaining portions because it is vaguely interesting. Mostly what I'd like is to get more of the internal process for realizations about humanity and what humanity means without it feeling like a checklist-y mirror scene for half of this.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

~Rosey




Zoom says...


Woah. I haven't signed into YWS in ages. Spooky that my story picked up a review hours before my return . . .

Thanks for your incredible insight. I'm particularly interested in what you said about setting up chess pieces. You could not have better described my intent with this story and for you to pick up on that has really inspired me. I'll also be sure to check out your book recommendation.

Truth be told, I think the next instalments will disappoint you in that they also seem forced, bland and checklist-y. I've learnt a lot about how I'm going to improve this first chapter, and everything you have just said has helped those plans along.

Thank you thank you thank you



Rosendorn says...


Haha. As I was reviewing I'd wondered if you'd even see it, since you have been gone so long. Didn't expect such a quick reply!

As for being disappointed: Eh. I read in your replies that this is a first draft. The thing about stories is they can be the roughest first drafts on the planet, but if there's a sense of passion, sense of intrigue, and this mysterious X factor that grabs onto you and doesn't let go, a lot of sins are forgiven.

Raven Boys is the first in a series of four books, all of which are out. I haven't read beyond the first, but all four will likely be useful for you to read. Her style reminds me of this piece a lot.



User avatar
264 Reviews


Points: 23295
Reviews: 264

Donate
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:16 pm
Megrim wrote a review...



Hello there! Great story--I really like this. The writing is clean and engaging, the descriptions give us a solid idea of the surroundings without overwhelming the narrative, and we get some interesting character progress. I quite like how the waterfall is used as almost a secondary character, so the POVC has someone(thing) to bounce off and "interact" with, and I found the anthropomorphism gave the waterfall a lot of charm (especially thanking it at the end!). I think that choice is what saves this from being pure navel-gazing.

Another thing that helps is that the scene does give us forward movement. The character starts out completely unable to do anything, and by the end they're standing, speaking, and interacting with this waterfall. I'm glad that this is only part 1, though, because it's not a great chapter by itself ;)

My main issue with this is it's sloooooooooooooooooow. Very slow. Crawling along the floor like me after my board exams.

The prose itself, like I said, is clean and engaging, so it's a quick/easy/pleasant read, but the content could benefit from some paring down. You want the major beats, of course, but you'd be surprised how many words you don't need. You could keep, for instance, waking up to an empty mind that's painful to try and remember, words coming unbidden, laying flat and unable to move but gradually working on the senses... But we really don't need to see the entire progression of every limb, sensation, and movement.

For example, everything from here: "I was still determined to gain control of my body but now accepted, albeit resentfully, that I needed to start smaller," to the realization about the droplets is fluffy and unnecessary. It doesn't add new information, it only takes up space. Yes, it's nice to engage all the senses, but you can (and probably should) do that in two sentences tops. A good rule of thumb is that if something can be deleted without changing the meaning of the scene, it probably should. There's a lot of extra "I tried moving this arm, and then that arm, and I listened to this thing, and that thing, and then felt the other things, and some more things." It's progress, but it's slooooooow progress, that could be condensed way down.

Don't think this means you have to remove what happens; you can simply state the same events with maybe 30% fewer words. Also don't feel that it's going to sap your style or atmosphere; it takes surprisingly little to establish those things, and I think you'll be surprised at how much you *won't* miss the things you cut.

Unlike the other critter, I didn't mind the character voice at all. I took the logical, clinical approach as part of characterization--in fact, I really like this character, as presented so far. Who says they have to be panicking? How a character responds to situations is what really tells us who they are.

I do agree that amnesiac protags are super common, and I would have liked at least some little clue or fragment as to the larger-scale story at work here. The answer to why his memories have been locked away will clearly be a big plot hurdle, but even some indicator to setting or culprit--some fragment of clothing or leftover from a ritual, some teeny thing that connects to the people who did this to him, or to his former life. Or if he did it to himself, some little clue that makes us think, "huh, odd" (like some observation that there was no way any other person could have been there), and then it hits home later on when we get the full reveal. Right here when he's waking up is the perfect place to plant these things. It also goes a long way toward promising us that yes, there is an interesting reason, and if we stick around there are more mysteries to unravel.

Cheers and happy writing!




Zoom says...


Thank you for taking the time to look at this. I appreciate it a lot. This will definitely help when it's time to write the second draft! Thanks again



User avatar
641 Reviews


Points: 46598
Reviews: 641

Donate
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:03 pm
Panikos wrote a review...



Hi, Zoom! Pan here to review your work today. I'll start with the nitpicks.

Small Comments

That was the first thought to ever enter my mind—or rather, the empty chamber that should have contained the answer to that question and every other question nobody wanted to find themselves asking.


This sentence is a bit too long for me, especially considering that it comes so early in the piece. I think it would work fine if you deleted everything from 'and every other question'.

pain that clearly warned: backwards isn’t a direction your mind can travel.

Forward, then.


I loved this bit. The rhythm of it is really effective.

But what I was most grateful for, was being able to lift my head and sweep away the pebbles underneath.


Delete the comma after 'for' - you don't need it.

as if my skull was caging a monster that was trying with all its might to break free.


I feel like this simile would be stronger if you were more specific about how this metaphorical monster was trying to get free. It is butting against the inside of their skull? Raking its claws against the bone? Scrabbling to escape through the eye gaps?

I think that's all for nitpicks. Not many. I usually find more than that, so take that as a positive!

Overall Thoughts

1) I think my biggest issue with this is the pacing. It's taking too long to get going. The opening hook is good - who is this character and how did they get here? - but it can't hold the reader's interest forever. You dwell too long on the process of the narrator getting their strength back and it starts to get a bit tedious, because there's no sense of jeopardy and nothing else is happening. If you cut it down a bit, you'll be in business. Time isn't on your side in an opening.

2) Sometimes I feel like the narrator's style is a bit too formal and clinical for the situation. They're supposed to be panicked, but you don't really feel that from the writing because they have such a calm, reasoned approach to everything. Like this bit:

With each passing second, another would appear and sprout feverish wings before taking flight and joining the others. I needed to get up before I went insane. Or perhaps further insane would have been a fairer statement.


The narrator says they're going insane, but there's no evidence of that in how the writing is crafted. If the structure was more haphazard, more rambling, more clipped and aimless, I might get a sense that they were unravelling a bit. But there's none of that. They're very measured, so I can't really believe in the impending insanity.

3) That said, aside from the tonal issues, your writing is very precise and assured. The whole piece was pleasant to read, and for the most part you don't stray into over-description, instead focusing on only the important details. You use the senses, as well, which I especially love.

4) I am pretty intrigued with the plot, but I'm not quite won over yet. Amnesiac protagonists are always mysterious, but they're also very common, so it remains to be see how you interpret the idea and make it original. Nevertheless, the story is well-written enough that I want to read on, and I have faith that you can do something good with it.

I'll call the review there. I hope it was helpful! I'll try to review the second part of the chapter as well, but it might be a few days until I get round to it.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan




Zoom says...


Thank you very much for this review. I was really unsure about the pacing so glad to have feedback on that in particular. Also I agree very much with the clinical narration. Settling into a decent voice has always been a struggle for me so I'll be sure to work on that.

Thanks so much!

Zoom




I'll actually turning 100 soon
— Ari11