Prologue

by Zen

YOU may have heard of the Ironwood Queen. Heard of her brilliance, her grace, her cruelty, her spite, her stone cold heart.

You may know the story of the Emperor and his twenty-one wives, and how the Ironwood Queen was at once the greatest and the least of them, the first and the last of them. The one who became Empress before the Empire broke. The one who outlived them all. Outlived the Emperor. Outlived the Empire. Outlived her own accursed son.

In the taverns and roadside inns, in the evenings when they’ve had too much to drink, the generation who has lived the tale sometimes whisper that it is no coincidence that the Ironwood Queen still lives despite the Empire’s fall, that there is a story there, that she must have had a hand in it. I’ve heard their stories. Such cruel stories. Such strange stories. They whisper that she still sits on a throne these days. Not as grand as the Empress’ throne of pearls and silver lace, but a throne nonetheless.

Such strange stories. Sometimes I think there may even be a shred of truth in them.

You may have heard of the Ironwood Queen. You may have heard of me.

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:46 am

First Impression: Well, this is off to a lovely start here...I really did like this prologue here, there's a lot of mystery here and this little tale here seems very fitting for the sort of thing that you expect to find in a prologue. At any rate, it was one of the more interesting prologues that I've run across here. :D

Hmm, well I haven't heard of that one exactly, but that does sounds like someone that would be quite an interesting character, not to mention it looks like the person that's writing this here appears to either be the Ironwood Queen herself or someone that has been told by her to actually write it cause that's certainly a very interesting way for some random person to be describing a queen.

Okayy...wow, that is a lot of things for one person to have done there...that's definitely a lot of achievements, some of with seem very questionable from the way they're mentioned, not to mention a lot of them also seem to be quite sad, and this Ironwood Queen character looks to be someone that would've suffered quite a bit throughout their life if all of those things are anything to be judging by.

Okay....well, this definitely sounds like something either the Ironwood Queen commissioned or she herself is saying cause the mention of I there and the fact that they're very cruel and strange without any sort of benefit of the doubt certainly suggests a little bit of bias on the side of the one writing this here. At any rate, this is definitely the kind of situation that would get people making rumors, cause that is a pretty rare series of events that were described there.

Hmm, well, that ending revealed what I've been thinking all this time...xD...good to see my theories aren't always just me overthinking things, but at any rate, this is a pretty neat ending here to this prologue, certainly fits it really well, and then of course there's that little tiny detail of how there might be a shred of truth in them. Well, well, well, this is certainly quite a mysterious prologue here.

Overall: Overall, a pretty darn solid prologue that you've got here. This definitely looks like something that I would certainly read right here. It seems to be a pretty cool character here and a pretty cool story. :D

RagingLive wrote a review...

Hello, hello! RagingLive here, and it is review time!!
I think you have a very interesting style and have very few nitpicks on this piece.

YOUmay have heard of the Ironwood Queen

Here, I'm not sure if you were just trying to grab my attention, or if you were trying to make it look like a first line in a book. If this is the way you like it, fine. But I think it just distracts from the first sentence. If you are going to do this I would suggest bolding the whole first line to keep it formatted.

Heard of her brilliance, her grace, her cruelty, her spite, her stone cold heart.

You have some very powerful descriptive words here that I think can serve a very good purpose if used so that the reader can better understand them. You have no 'buts,' 'ands,' or 'ors' and that can make it a bit long and drawn out and kind of hard to read. However, I don't think you should drop any of them because they give us an insight of the queen. Maybe a rephrasing such as this is needed:
'Heard of how she was graced with brilliance, but spite drove her cruelty from depths of her stone cold heart.'
If you want to keep the 'heard of' sequence, feel free to do so, but spice it up a little and combine words and different phrases.

and how the Ironwood Queen was at once the greatest and the least of them, the first and the last of them

A bit confusing for me at first, so I had to read it over.
Maybe switch out to:
'the Ironwood Queen was all at once the greatest and least of them, both the first and the last of them.'

In the taverns and roadside inns, in the evenings when they’ve had too much to drink, the generation who has lived the tale sometimes whisper that it is no coincidence that the Ironwood Queen still lives despite the Empire’s fall, that there is a story there, that she must have had a hand in it

A bit long with too many commas. Consider splitting this sentence into two.

Such strange stories

You repeat this phrase again, and while it may be intentional, I find it a bit monotonous. Maybe toss in 'theories' or something like that to add variety.

The ending makes me wonder if the narrator might be the Ironwood Queen's accursed son? Or maybe the successor to her throne? You have written a very convincing prologue. Not too short. Not too long. You also end it on just the right suspenseful note.
I'd can't wait to see more of your work!!

Keep writing and keep on smiling! :)
~RagingLive

wickedlymuggle wrote a review...

Hi Zen!
I loved this prolouge! Like DarkWarrior said, I think this is exactly what a prolouge should be. It gets the readers intrigued, makes us wonder what will happen next. I must commend you on your use of short sentences. They set a theme and feel of suspense and edgy-ness that is very tactful and well written. You also had great descriptions, one of my favorite sentences being:

They whisper that she still sits on a throne these days. Not as grand as the Empress’ throne of pearls and silver lace, but a throne nonetheless.

I don't know what it was about it, but I just thought it was beautiful, and very well done. There are only two things I would comment on. The bold capitilization of YOU at the beginning of this did not make very much sense to me. I could have been just a matter of looks, so if it is, keep it that way, but it was not the most important word in the story, so I don't think it has a very strong reason to be capitalized. Secondly, you used the sentence, "Such strange stories." twice. I understand why you did that, because that was sort of the theme you set for the prolouge, but I think you could switch it up a bit. Maybe you can change it to something different, give it a little variation.

Anyway, I really enjoyed reading this, and I hope you write even more chapters! Sorry I took so long to get to this! Happy Review Month!

Thu May 28, 2015 7:51 am
Casanova wrote a review...

Hey! Ryu Cevenost(AKA Southbound) here for a review.
First of all, I have to say that I really like this prologue. It's what everyone should strive for; Ambitious, detailed, suspenseful, and very good. I would love to keep reading, and I hope to see some of your future posts. I do have one thing that is bugging me though.
Though this is extremely good, it is also very short. I know I have no right to say this, but it could be one of the best things out there IF only you had extended it, and threw in some more paragraphs detailing everything. Besides that, I found nothing wrong with it.
In conclusion, you are very gifted and I hope you keep this up, and I look forward to seeing even more of your posts!
Sorry about the double take, I had forgot to submit my previous comment as a review, but don't think that is the only reason I read your work! I read it because it was extremely good, and a lot better than my work and a lot of others that I have seen.

Thu May 28, 2015 7:49 am
Casanova says...

FireBird99 wrote a review...

Hey! FireBird99 here for a review!

This is very interesting. I really enjoyed reading it. You've made me want more of this suspenseful, awesome prologue. I love how it turned out to be the Ironwood Queen talking about herself. She kind of reminds me of the queen from Once Upon a Time. Ever watched it?

Well, I see no mistakes in this work but I do see a whole lot of potential in it. I think you can go places with this novel. Let me know when you have the next part out. I'd really like to read more. =)

comrie wrote a review...

I LOVE THIS. Everything about this. Your writing is strong and beautiful, and you made me curious about this Ironwood Queen all throughout, and wondering where her role in this story would be.

BUT IT'S HER. I thought she was some onlooker or someone who just knew Ironwood Queen. Oh gosh, oh gosh. This is awesome. She sounds awesome. And finding out it was her makes me even more curious about her character and the world around her. I'm so glad to have stumbled upon this, because that was literally what I did. Just randomly click this (of course after reading the description, which I love now).

And that ending was lovely. It was a little dramatic, but the good kind of dramatic. I love how it tied back to the beginning.

Please tag me when you post the next chapter, or just anything you might post. I DO NOT want to miss this or anything you write.

-comrie

Tue May 19, 2015 7:29 am
DarkWarrior wrote a review...

Hello, DarkWarrior here.
Well, for starters, its what everyone looks for in a prologue. Left off on an ambiguous note, not stating the true story behind the characters, making the character want more.
There was one mistake I found.
"They whisper that she still sits" I think it should be sits still.
Good job otherwise. Let me know when you upload the main story.

No one achieves anything alone.
— Leslie Knope