Abhorsen Trilogy

by Yrael

I am curious to know if any others have read the Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix. It is THE best series I have read and I rate it above all the others, including the Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Inheritance series. Just the world created by Garth Nix is so spectacular. If anyone else has read this trilogy I wish to hear their thoughts.

goldcomet wrote a review...

I really enjoyed Sabriel, but the second book was a little drawn out, but I was satisfied with it as a series. And usually I have no patience for talking animals, but Mogget was okay. Such Sass!
(Also, did anyone think the whole budding romance thing between the cousins- Lirael and uh... Sam I think his name is- was weird??)

Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:15 pm
Face Engine wrote a review...

I read all Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen a couple of years ago-I can remember really enjoying them, particularly when the undead were invading the place with an early modern theme, but, as I've probably made quite obvious, I don't really remember any of it. As I said, they are very enjoyable, but then I find nearly all books enjoyable.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:04 pm
Adnamarine wrote a review...

I say it the same way you do.

I like Sabriel better than Lirael, though I still liked her. But for some reason I've never been able to bring myself to even start Abhorsen. I don't know why. I used to get it out from the library all the time, and never touch it. I don't even do that anymore. The thing is, since I haven't read the other books in so long, I would have to re-read them to remember exactly what's going on. That would hardly be torcher, but I don't really feel like re-reading books at the moment. I want to read as much good new stuff as I can get my hands on.

But someday...

It's funny, the same thing happened with Drowned Wednesday. And that's only the third book out of 7!

All of his books are so good. I don't know why I can't bring myself to pick up Abhorsen and just read it already!

Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:17 am
Meep wrote a review...

It took me several tries to get into Sabriel, but once I forced myself through the first fifty-something pages I found I really enjoyed it. I returned it as soon as I finished it and went to get Lirael ... which I did not like at all. Lirael herself was too whiny for me. I couldn't stand her and so I dropped it because I just couldn't take it any more. Shame, too, because I hear Abhorsen is really good.

(How do you say "Abhorsen," anyway? I always said it as "ab-horse-en," like it looks, but my friend says it "ab-er-shorn," or something.)

scribblingquill wrote a review...

I LOVE this series. I remember getting the first one and taking it to school in primary five or six and being so proud i was the only one in the class reading a book without pictures.

Lirael has grown on me over the years and now i love it as much as the others.

And the creature and the case was a cute ending, as well the the Across The Wall anthology of short stories which is also great.

All in all Garth Nix is a great hero of mine as a writer, i love how he puts in clues to what you'll find out later.

Lil Dono wrote a review...

It took me a long time to actually finish Sabriel because I would start it with enthusiam but get bored and set it down.

Finished Sabriel finally and thought it wasn't a bad book. It's a little stale at some points, but as long as Mogget's making wise cracks, I'm happy.

I wasn't interested enough to read the two sequels, though I will eventually.

Strong points of Sabriel include description, characterization, and total originality. Garth Nix is an excellent writer.

Swires says...

Ive read the first one - boring really, I forced my way through it. It was just a string of non-connected events and the main character wasn't likable. Not a great piece of work. Merely good.

Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:42 am

I've read the trillogy. Best thing ever.

So my opinion is pretty much the same as everyone else. 1st great, 2nd long and boring, 3rd awesome. Sabriel can stand really well on her own, but Liriel and Abhorsen have to go together. So its a Duology?

Adnamarine wrote a review...

Garth Nix is brilliant. And Australian to boot. What is it about Australian's? Juliet Marillier is Australian too!
I've read the first two of the Abhorsen Trilogy (I think I like Sabriel better than Liriel), but for some reason, I just can't get around to reading Abhorsen. Plus, it's been so long now since I've read Liriel that I would have to read it again before reading Abhorsen.
I've noticed that for some reason, in most trilogies I've read, the 2'nd two books seem to be more closely connected than the first two. Anyone else ever noticed that?

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:00 am
GryphonFledgling wrote a review...

I'm not really into necromancy as a subject, but I will say that I loved these books.

It's been a long while since I read them, so I don't remember a lot of specifics, but I do remember how much I loved these books. The world is so believable, even in its fantasy, and the characters were great.

Fabulous, fabulous books. A high recommendation from me...

~GryphonFledgling

Stockmar says...

Other people have read these? I no longer feel totally obscure!!! Didn't a new one come out last year? or maybe a couple of years ago, I can't remember. If so, I still haven't read it.

Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:51 am
Pickle810 wrote a review...

Okay, I wouldn't say it's better than LOTR, but I'd rank it as equal, or top of another category. See, I never say there's something that's the best of all, because you can't compare, say, Chanukah and Easter, right? Totally different. And books are the same idea. It's like the way I tell my brother I'm sure Halo is the best of it's category, but you just can't compare it to LOTR.
Anyway, I got Sabriel for my birthday and once again dragged my parents out on a "Let's buy everything Garth Nix has ever written" spree. And guess what? I've never regretted spending 2 months savings on his books. They've always been worth it.

Saphira wrote a review...

I am reading the trilogy at the moment and i have only one chapter to read at the end of Abhorsen! I loved all of them and i thought that Lirael is the best out of the trilogy though i really like Sabriel. I think the whole world is amazing. I like how Nix has combined modern technology with old fashioned fantasy objects. Also his ideas on magic are just fantastic.

Definatly better HP. I think they are fantastic and i can't wait to finish the last chapter! :D

Firestalker says...

Yup Garth Nix is the best. I've only read the first book but i loved it sooo much i really want to get the second book. but unluckily i cant find it in any local book shops although i did see it in one place but forgot to buy it

Rydia says...

I loved these books! It's been a few years since I've read them but I'd recommend them to anyone. Garth Nix is an imaginative, brilliant writer.

Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:58 am
Twinflower wrote a review...

I just finished reading the trilogy and loved them all. The first one was really good, fast-paced, full of action and all that. Lirael was good at times but was also sorta slow some of the time. The last one was great. I loved the ending.
I'd recommend all three to anyone who likes fantasy, especially because the magic/world/characters Nix created are fresh and original.

Southern_Belle wrote a review...

I really liked the Abhorsen Triology, though I don't really think it's better than Harry Potter (we're big HP fans where I'm from!!), and I never really got into Lord of the Rings. I made the mistake of reading Lirael before I read Sabriel, so I didn't really understand thebackground of the series, but after I read Sabriel, I really liked the whole thing. Garth Nix is incredibly awesome at blurring the line between "reality" and "magic." I really liked how he placed the Old Kingdom, a world full of magic, next to the New Kingdom, a "reality" world, with only a wall between them. And the action scenes in his books are AWESOME!!

The only thing that I didn't particularly like was that Lirael was sort of boring and slow-paced at times. The other two books, however, were really good. I haven't yet had the chance to read Across the Wall, but I'm planning to read it sometime soon . . .

Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:38 am
Royboy wrote a review...

AHHH! I KNOW! I did too! I have it all in a nifty little box. I'm waiting for Lady Friday to get to the damn library already. I'm number 28 on the list and you'd also think that I would be moved to 27 or 26 after two months. Yeah, it just doesn't work that way.

Actually, Lirael saved my grade last quarter. I had to have a signiture for a book, which I didn't, but I got away with counting Lirael as two books (it's like 700 something pagest) even though that's just normal to me.

Sabriel was the shitogee mushrooms of the lot. Best book I've read in a while...

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:55 am
Pushca wrote a review...

I actually bothered to buy the Abhorsen trilogy, and I avoid buying books whenever possible.

Unlike CDs. I unload at Newberry Comics. Despite Limewire and the beauty of CD burners.

Um, off topic. But anyway, Garth Nix is amazing. His book of short stories has 147 holds on it. After 146, you'd think you wouldn't bother, but, yanno.

Insomnia wrote a review...

Garth Nix is one of my favourite authors. I can remember reading the Seventh Tower series back when I was like eight. I loved those back then. I still do actually. The Keys to the Kingdom series is really good too. They're good for a laugh sometimes too. I must admit that I haven't actually read Sabriel or the others. I should someday soon really.

Jiggity wrote a review...

Garth Nix is the shiznit yo. I lurve his books lol, Ragwitch was awesome, and the Key to the Kingdoms books...well, I have all of them including Lady friday hehe. The Seventh Tower series was also good as was the Abhorsen trilogy!!

Go Garth!! He's Australian you know, Im so proud, hehe.

Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:53 am
tinny wrote a review...

Oh I love Garth Nix but only got into the Abhorsen trilogy by accident! A birthday list one year was lacking books so I stuck on Sabriel although I didn't really want it. I was quite annoyed when someone bought me it and didn't read it for a few months. Then I did and all was good.

the only problem is that my Papy has the tendency to steal the books off my shelf. He had to buy his own copy of Abhorsen when I hid mine though. Ha.

Meshugenah wrote a review...

How did I not see this when it was first posted? *is ashamed*

I loved the first book, Sabriel. It was the first book I read by Garth Nix... at least a few summers ago. The second I didn't like as much, and the third was just awesome.

So, yes. Go forth and read them! Or I'll just use that as a Book of the Month for the Book Club... hmm. Now there's a thought ;)

The Jesseble wrote a review...

I'm count myself as a Garth nix fan.

Sabriel - really good, a very good beginning to a series.

Lirael - not bad, though I was impatient for Sam and Lirael to meet which was obvious from the start that they would

Abhorsen - very good..loved it too death

Across the Wall - well, it's an anthology so some stories as dull...though the Creture in the Case is very good, with a bit of a Lirael/Nick thing!

Ragwitch - i found it a bit confusing and i had to read it again heh. But i liked the idea, it was freaky.

Slade's Children - not bad, really different for Garth Nix but i liked it all the same.

Keys of the Kingdom: Mister Monday, Grim Tuesday, Drowned Wednesday and Sit Thrusday - not the greatest books, the idea is sooo complex that it boggles you. Though i think Arthur is a really good character.

Quick reviews...but hey i like them all truly.

Tj

_fallingstar_ wrote a review...

I did like the series, although I can sum up my feelings for each book with one word per book:

1st: good, 2nd: Meh, 3rd: AWESOME.

For those of you who have only read the first (or the first and second,) I suggest that you read books two and three together, because book three takes out a lot of the dryness in book two.

scrambled_pages wrote a review...

I read all three a couple of summers ago and remember really enjoying them... though I don't really remember them.
I am pretty sure that the first was my favorite was the first one and that the second was a little dry.
Its really gonna bother me now that I can't remember them too well, maybe I'll revisit them this summer when I actually have time to read just about anything, at the moment I sneak in what I can manage between exams, papers...sigh...

-Gen

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:44 pm
Cpt. Smurf wrote a review...

zelithon wrote:I have read them and it is definately better than lord of the rings and harry potter i cant decide wiather or not it is better than the inheritance yet, my favorate book by him though is definatly Shades Children have you read it? it is fantastic!

I'm sorry, but if this indeed of a standard akin to LOTR and Harry Potter, then Inheritance is not in the same league.

I have read Shade's Children though, the only one by him I have read. It was indeed most interesting, and enjoyable.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:01 pm
Night Mistress says...

I liked the first book so much, that I couldn't bring myself to read the other ones. I could get past the first few pages, I guess I was excepting too much.

Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:56 pm
zelithon says...

I have read them and it is definately better than lord of the rings and harry potter i cant decide wiather or not it is better than the inheritance yet, my favorate book by him though is definatly Shades Children have you read it? it is fantastic!

Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:02 am
Nox says...

The series is actually called The Old Kingdom. I have read Lirael and Abhorsen and they were good, I have not read Sabriel yet so I can't comment on that book. Have you read any other Garth Nix books like Keys to the Kingdom or The Ragwitch?

Yrael says...

The first book was good, it's the second two that really make it what it is.

As for the world, it is a place where there exist the realms of life and death. Life is just a plain world inhabited by people as well as the Dead. While death, represents a river that attempts to pull one through its gates, beyond its final gate, where they will never have a chance to see Life again.

It also revolves around necromancy, and the seven bells that each have unique powers when rung. The best part is that it is filled in a world with so much knowledge that the reader does not know. Anything suprising can pop out from the world of the story, or the past history of it. I suggest you read it.

Sureal wrote a review...

I've read the first. Twas okay - quite confusing at first though.

The world (I thought) was nice and unique. But unless I see them in my local library (and I don't go there often) it's unlikely I'll ever read the next two (not really a problem, as the first books stands up well byitself).

Chevy wrote a review...

Well, what exactly is it about? I get the idea it's fantasy and I have never read fantasy before but I honestly don't want to jump onto the Lord of the Rings bandwagon like everyone else...this obviously isn't as popular but anyway...what's it about?

Veni, vidi, scripsi ~ I came, I saw, I wrote
— steampowered