16+ Language Violence

The voices

by Youbeaucupid

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and violence.

Since I was seven years old, I always knew I was different. I heard voices ‘round me all the time no matter if no one was talking. The first words I heard were, “Kill him.” I didn’t pay much attention to the words at the time, because I didn’t care. I told my daddy ‘bout it. How I heard what he’d been thinkin only moments ago, that’s when he slapped me hard, ‘cross my right cheek it stung - a lot.

He called me a liar, said “pretty girls don’t tell ugly lies.” He grabbed a beer from the fridge and took a swig before plopping down in his favorite reclining chair and sat there, while I cried holding my face in my palms.

I reckon that’s the moment I stopped tellin’ folks the things I heard.

I’d went through the years like seconds, and before I knew it I was a young woman on graduation day. After the ceremony I looked for my dad. I knew he wouldn’t be here but I still let the little girl in me wish. He never showed up.

There was this party, I was invited to of course I went, better to be surrounded by booze and music then left in the sickening silence of my dying daddy. I didn’t have friends, not at that god-awful party but I still sat there for hours drinkin’ a few beers and listening to drunk idiots tryna hit on pretty girls. (They didn’t get far of course.)

I sat there, listening to the people around me and their thoughts.

Boys thought about them girls and their short skirts, and the ladies gossiped ‘bout whose boyfriend was hookin up with what pretty girl over on the couch. Annoying. The lot of ‘em they all talked crazy, about unimportant stuff that wouldn’t matter in the coming years.

I finally decided, after a few beers and maybe a cigarette that it was time to get outta here, and face my might-as-well-been empty home. I hopped off the kitchen stool and started weaving my way through the sea of people that plagued every corner. I felt suffocated in a room full of smoke and loud noises.

“Kill him,” The words echoed in my mind, and I went still the color drained from my face. Had I thought that? Or was it from someone here, I could feel myself panicking and I needed some fresh air.

“Kill him, kill him, kill him.” A voice breathed into the back of my brain.

I needa to get outta here, quickly. I thought to myself, my claustrophobia started to poke at my eyelids and I felt faint. As I pushed my way through the crowd, I felt the weight of the suffocating atmosphere pressin’ down on me. When I suddenly felt a hand clasp my arm I gasped as they pulled me out of the crowd. Startled, I turned to see who it was.

It was a young man, around my age maybe a bit older than me, his expression concerned as he looked at me with searchin’ eyes. “Hey, are you okay?” he asked me, his voice barely audible over the din of the party.

I blinked, momentarily taken aback by his sudden appearance and the genuine concern in his eyes. Yeah, I’m fine,” I replied, though my voice sounded shaky even to my own ears.

He didn’t seem convinced. “You don’t look fine,” he breathed softly , his grip on my arm gentle but firm. “Come one, let’s get you some fresh air.”

Without waitin’ for my response, he began leadin’ me towards the doors, navigating through the crowds with ease, which told me he was used to parties like this. The sounds of the party faded into the background as we made it to the sidewalk, although it still smells of strong cologne and cigarettes. I felt better already.

“Thanks,” I murmured, finally meeting his gaze. “I don’t know what came over me in there.” I said exhaling a shaking breath, I looked up at him. He looked almost unreal, not in the sense that he was beautiful, he was! But something about him just felt… off?

He nodded at me, a silent -Are you sure you’re good?- passed between us, and I nodded my head yes, giving him a thumbs up as an awkward silence passed between us for a second, before he looked at me and gave me a small, odd smile and started walking off.

I turned to head back to my home but before I took a step I heard the words, “Kill him, now.” raging in the back of my mind, but it wasn’t my thought. I turned around my eyes darting ‘round for the man who was just with me, but he was already gone like a ghost in the mid-October air.

A shiver ran down my spine, and goosebumps ran across my skin. Home. I need to go home.

***

The oak floorboards creaked under my weight as I stepped into the house. I slipped my boots off my aching feet and tip-toed to the livin’ room, the lights flickered, two of ‘em going out, I didn’t bother to change ‘em. I craned my neck to see over the back of his pipestone red recliner. Of course my daddy passed out cold a beer hanging loosely from his grubby fingers.

I ignored him and his dead-beat self, and made my way to my bedroom to lock myself away until I could escape in the mornin’, if I was lucky enough.

As I walked down the dark hallway, I couldn’t help but notice his bedroom door, it was slightly ajar—a sight that was uncommon in our household. Curiosity and a sense of dread mingled within me as I creaked the paint-peeled door open. It was dark, too dark to see much. I made my way through the room, hands out in front of me guidin’ my way, prayin’ I don’t run into anything. I reach the curtains and pull ‘em open just slightly, the golden light of the sunset shining into the room.

It was quiet here, quieter than the house already was. I walked through his room runnin’ my hand over the dusty objects that hadn’t been touched since god knows when. I make my way over to the vanity, mom.

This was mom’s vanity. I sat in the plush olive seat in front of the vanity and looked over its dusty surface, a variety of her makeup still plagued the white top. Her favorite lipstick still stood proud in its cradle along with the others.

Persimmon. She let me wear this one after I begged her to just let me try it. I was nine and just wanted to look like my mommy. I regretted that later, when I heard my daddy yellin’ about how she can’t give expensive things to a child, and that she should just leave if she was gonna waste his “money.”

She used to tell me when the time was right, she’d come back and kill that horrible man. Then she left.

I pick the lipstick up and wipe the dusty mirror, my reflection stares back at me as I open the tube and swipe the beautiful shade against my dry lips. As I stared at myself in the mirror I saw her reflection for a split second but it disappeared just as quickly.

I open one of the drawers on her vanity, a box.

It’s small, just bigger than a deck of cards, so I pick it up and gently open the box. Inside I see pictures… one of me and one of my mom. I see a third, it’s face down in the box and I carefully flip it over, it’s me and her together—and a man. It’s not my father, but he and my mother are in the background, kissing.

My eyes went wide, and I set the box on the vanity, pickin’ up that one photo in my trembling hands. He has dark, curly hair and deep emerald green eyes.

I look back into the mirror, my emerald green eyes stare back at me as if stabbin’ me. My hair is auburn like my mothers, but the prominent curls stand out like a damn sore thumb.

He… No. That can’t be, my father is in the other room, I can feel myself panicking lookin’ from the mirror and back down at the picture, and I see it. I look like him. He even has a mole on his left cheek, where… My mole is.

No. My mother wouldn’t have lied to me, the man in our livin’ room is my father…

“Are you sure?” A voice makes me cry out and fall backwards onto the beige carpet bringin’ the pictures fluttering down with me.

Again, the voice speaks. “Are you sure, my dear?” I scurry up and look around me for a second scared it might be my daddy but I still hear his snores coming from the living room.

“Come, sit down my dear.” The voice urged. The mirror, the voice was comin’ from the mirror-

I crept towards the vanity once again, cautious and more aware of my surroundings. I pick the stool that I fell off back up and sit down carefully, my reflection looks at me once again.

This time though, it didn’t mimic me. I moved just a fraction, yet it didn’t follow. I gasped and my hand flew to my mouth as I looked back to the bedroom door, “He’s still asleep, no need to worry.” I whipped my head around and I was right, my reflection was talkin’ to me.

"Who... who are you?" I managed to whisper, my voice barely audible over the pounding of my heart.

She cackled, a slow and chillin’ sound that seemed to reverberate through the room. "Well, I'm you, silly. Just... better," she replied, her smile was sinister, sendin’ a shiver down my spine.

"Better?" I echoed, my voice trembling with uncertainty.

She nodded, her smile widenin’ in a way that made my blood run cold. "Oh yes, much better. Stronger, braver... and oh so much more capable," she said, her tone laced with a sinister edge that sent a shiver down my spine.

I wanted to turn away, to flee from the unnervin’ sight before me, but something held me in place. And then, almost as if compelled by some unseen force, her reflection pointed towards the corner of the room.

“There,” she said, her voice a whisper that seemed to echo in my mind. “That’s where you’ll find it.”

My gaze fell to the closet, I looked back at her but she was gone; and my reflection in her place. I get up quietly and amble to the closet, inside its dark but just enough light for me to see a loose panel in the wood floorin’.

I lifted the board, it was stubborn at first but quickly gave into my tugging and pulled away from its spot with a satisfied pop. Under the board a glint of metal caught my eye, a pistol.

Kill him.

I touched its gleaming metal surface, it was cold sending a shiver up my arm, and down my back. I carefully picked it up, the weight of the weapon heavy in my grasp. As I gripped the pistol in my hands, I went back to the vanity and retrieved the photos from the floor where they’d fallen, and slowly walked back out of their bedroom, closing the door behind me.

Carryin’ the gun in one hand, and the pictures in the other I made my way to the kitchen, grabbin’ a beer from the fridge and setting the pictures on the counter. I took a swig, the bitter taste of the alcohol burning my throat as I tried to steady my reelin’ nerves.

With a shaky breath, I took a second swig from the can. I knew what she wanted me to do, my reflection. It was easy, as easy as swimmin’, except you don’t know how, and you could drown if done wrong. And then, without hesitation, I walked back to where my father lay, still unconscious in his chair.

One final swig of liquid courage, set me straight. As I stared at my fath… The man, I put the gun up to his head and pulled the trigger.

One shot.

Two shots.

Three shots.

His beer can clatter to the floor. And he was dead. It was so easy, I thought as tears brimmin’ in my eyes at the sight of his lifeless body.

Tears fall from my eyes, as I go back to the kitchen to reclaim the photos, a beer, and a lighter from the junk drawer. I drop the pistol on the floor of the livin’ room as I make my way to the back deck, the door opening with a creak and slamming shut behind me.

I sit down on the back stairs, as the sun just barely peaks over the lake, the photos in my hand stare at me, and I swear I hear them laughing, or… are those just the voices in my head? I can’t tell anymore, my head throbs as I crack the beer open and sip at it as I go through the little pieces of my mother, -and perhaps my real father- I have left.

I set the can of beer on the step below me, and pick up the lighter. I flick the lighter open and shut.

Open.

Shut.

Open.

Shut

***

Burning. The lighter sets fire to the photos in my hands, and I hold them until the flames try to lick up my fingers. Throwing them behind me I watch as they flutter to the wooden patio of the place I used to call my home.

The flames roar behind me as I sit staring out into the nothingness my world has become, and I’m starting to wonder if, maybe. I should’ve listened to the voices sooner.

Hello there, Cupid! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the spooky S’more?

Top Graham Cracker - The main character hears voices in her head, but perhaps, the voices are more than voices. Perhaps, the voices know the truth…

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - I think you meant to say that she “nodded” her head yes instead of “shook”, but that’s just one little thing.

Chocolate Bar - This version of the story doesn’t have the brother coming in at the end, which shows that she may have to find her family on her own. It’s a different level of mystery, but all the same, suspenseful and uneasy. I love how both of the stories are! :D

Closing Graham Cracker - A story shrouded in veils over finding her real family, and discovering the truth about herself, I enjoyed reading this! The voices can either all be in her head, are real, or maybe they’re both. Who knows? That would be for us to decide.

I wish you a fantastic day/night! ^v^

Youbeaucupid says...

Good morning Vamp! :D I'm glad you read this version of my story as well. Also, thank you for pointing out that lil mistake xD I didn't even see that!

Thank you for taking the time to review, I hope you have an awesome day/night! <3

Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:22 am
avianwings47 wrote a review...

Hello, Hello! I’m here to make sure you do your Duolingo today deliver a review for you! I’ll be using my very own Duolingo Review Template, which is inspired by the wonderful YWS S'more Method! Let’s start our lesson!

Start + 10xp - First Impressions

So I know that this already has two reviews, but I just couldn't help myself. I have to write one, this is too good for me not to. And, lucky for you, this will be the very first review I do using my Duolingo review method!

First off, I felt like this had an entirely different feel than your previous works. I can still sense your elegant writing style beneath it, but it's interesting to see you write in such a different style. And I must say, I enjoyed it! The characterization and voice of the protagonist really shined through in this story. I applaud you!

There were so many twists and turns in this story! It kept me engaged and intrigued throughout the piece! I feel like this idea has amazing potential for a novel, but it's also still great as a short story.

Translate This Sentence - Strengths

Again, I feel like you developed a strong voice within this story. From the first few lines, I had to start reading in a Southern accent, because I just felt like it fit the character so well.
Going along with the idea of characterization, I also felt that you developed the other characters nicely. In a short story, you have limited words to show who each of the side characters are. But, within those few words, I felt like the protagonist's parents had personalities of their own. You showed this through a few of the flashbacks that the protagonist explains, as well as the photos. These are both great and engaging ways to go about this!

I also just absolutely love the concept of this story. The voices, the mirror, the ending, it was all just... *chef's kiss.* The mystery and suspense kept me on the edge of my seat!

Nicely done! - Favorite Lines

With a shaky breath, I took a second swig from the can. I knew what she wanted me to do, my reflection. It was easy, as easy as swimmin’, except you don’t know how, and you could drown if done wrong.

This quote really delves into the thoughts of the main character. It's almost as if she's trying to gaslight reassure herself about the situation. I also love how it sounds, especially with the repetition of "easy."

This is such a nice conclusion to this scene. I like the use of a fragmented sentence here; it adds to the thoughts of the main character.

Previous Mistake - Improvements

One thing that felt like a loose end to me was the scene with the boy; the one who asks the protagonist if she's okay. Now, this scene is well-written, and it builds up more of the suspense from the voices that the main character is hearing. However, the boy is described as sinister, and something felt off about him. From this, I expected something to happen with the boy. Maybe he was super dangerous, or he was going to cause a scene. But, then he just... vanishes. I thought he might return, but there was no mention of him again. You've got some beautiful suspense built up there, but it just leads to... nothing happening.

I would also love to see more of the protagonist's conflicting thoughts about killing her father. I mean, I feel like that would be a pretty big decision. However, it could be that she doesn't need to think about it since she's been hearing the voices for quite some time now. Who knows? It just adds more to the mystery~

Also, keep in mind that this is just my interpretation. You are the author, after all, so take and leave what you please!

One last thing I'll mention is verb tense. There were a few times you switched from past tense to present tense, which slightly disoriented me at some points. Just make sure to keep it consistent!

Total XP - Closing Thoughts

Overall, this was a super enjoyable read. Dare I say one of my favorites on YWS? I think I might. I truly loved all the ways you went about this story. From the voice of the protagonist to every last twist of the story, (and of course the beautiful closing scene. The imagery was amazing) this was an incredible story.

Keep writing! And do your Duolingo lessons or Duo will find you -Avian
Get more with Super Duolingo.

Youbeaucupid says...

Hey Av! I'm so sorry, I literally forgot to respond to this. My minds been all over the place :,D

I love your new theme haha! (Might just steal it.. :eyes:) Also thank you or the review! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and I also understand the criticism about the boy. I am rewriting this story currently. (Because Ellie something along the lines lol) So once I have it finished, it'll explain the point of the boy, and have more descriptions as well! :D

avianwings47 says...

Oooo I%u2019m excited. Also if you want the code for the review, just bother me and I%u2019ll give it to you!

FlocculentAnorak wrote a review...

Hello. I'm here reviewing using the YMS'more method.

Graham Cracker - Interpretations and Impressions

I like your writing style. How the main character describes her life and what her thought process is. I interpret that she doesn't want to listen to the voices. Yet they are getting extremely difficult to ignore. She may even listen to them to make them go away.

Toasted, but Slightly Burned Marshmallow - Improvement

Your writing style is already really good. But maybe lay down on the "'bout, 'round, etc?" I apologize if this is just character voice. But if it isn't, I think it's better to use the full word. This is merely a personal preference, you do not have to follow it.

The Melty Hershey's Chocolate Bar - What I loved about this piece.

How you write the voices she has and her reaction. How she ignores them, yet they make her anxious. They make her claustrophobic as if she can't breathe suddenly. It makes her stressed. It makes her panicked. I love reading about panicking situations and the emotions the victim goes through. Great work with writing that.

Graham Cracker - Conclusion

This is a great piece. Its serious, emotional, panicking... It's a wonderful piece. Please continue writing and sharing your work, you have great talent!

Youbeaucupid says...

Good afternoon Flocc and a belated welcome to Yws! Thank you sm for the review, I'm really glad you liked my story! (and writing style <33)

As for the characters voice, I wanted her voice to represent my cousins accent lol she has a very southern accent and I wanted to portray that within my story. So she actually helped me with the writing style to represent that!! :D

Again, thank you for reading and taking the time to review my story! I hope to see you around the site more! :33

You%u2019re welcome <3

EllieMae wrote a review...

Time for a Black Cat Review!!

MEOW! Hello, friend! My name is Ellie and today I will be reviewing using my very own Black Cat Review Method! It is very similar to the incredible YWS S'more Method but I have Halloween-ified it and made it spooky! My little black cat friend, Vladimir, wants to offer his opinion on your amazing literary piece:

Mystical Witch Hat - What I See, Observe, and Interpret

Cupid, this pice starts of super strong. I love the hook you use to draw readers in right from the start!

Since I was seven years old, I always knew I was different. I heard voices ‘round me all the time no matter if no one was talking. The first words I heard were, “Kill him.” I didn’t pay much attention to the words at the time, because I didn’t care.

This instantly sets the stage for an engaging story!

I love how you did this part:

One shot.

Two shots.

Three shots.

The one, two, three. Beautiful! This story is so wonderful. As out character discovers that her father may not actually be her father and proceeds to kill him, so engaging! I love the ending of this. Burning the photos. How symbolic is this, leaving everything in the past and starting fresh. I want to know more! What are these voices?! The mirror, who was that! Where is her mother! The man! The boy! I need more, Cupid!

Vladimir’s Advice - Suggestions for Improvement

I love this section, but I wanted to add one comment:

I didn’t have friends, not at that god-awful party but I still sat there for hours drinkin’ a few beers and listening to drunk idiots tryna hit on pretty girls. (They didn’t get far of course.)

It already feels like our speaker is, well, speaking to us. I wonder what effect you were trying to accomplish with using brackets of the last sentence. Maybe you could actually just make it another sentence.

I want to know more about this voice in our characters head. What does it sound like? Is it IN their head, or does it feel like an external voice they are hearing. Is it a powerful thought, or a force that feels uncontrollable? Are they used to it, or scared? What does it sound like?

And the same things here too :D

It was a young man, around my age maybe a bit older than me, his expression concerned as he looked at me with searchin’ eyes.

What does he look like? I would love more in the moment details when we are introduced to new people or places! What does he look like and how does that make her feel?

Jack O’Lanterns - My Favourite Parts and Praises

Adding onto a comment I made in the suggestion section, there were some parts in this that had beautiful description and details that I want to point out!

Black Cat Cuddles - Concluding Ideas and Thoughts

I loved how you used a different writing style and language in this. Please write more, I loved it!

Have a wonderful day, friend!
-Ellie

I hope you have a spook-tastical day, filled with black cat mischief!

Youbeaucupid says...

Omg thank you for the amazing review Ellie! I'm always happy to see Vladimir haha! I'm really glad you like my stories. Also, thank you for the suggestion on the descriptions I did notice that when writing and I'm actually going back through it now so that story makes more sense. Once I revise it I'll make sure to tag you! :D

I hope you have an amazing day/night, Ellie!! <3<3

EllieMae says...

So glad that it was helpful, Cupid! I%u2019ll keep my eye out for the tag :D Have an amazing day, too! :D

fun fact i hear my evil twin once wrote a story about a hacker who used the name fyshi33k bc there are 33k-ish species of fish and she liked phishing so fyshi-33k made sense but then she got super embarrassed when someone forced her to explain
— VyperShadow