z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Violence Mature Content

"Realm for 2" by the one and only Shirido keizo "'sekai!

by YOUKNOWWHO, none


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language, violence, and mature content.

Chapter 1…

“I Don't remember much of what happened After the crash, the carriage suddenly ran off the road!” I explained to the guardsmen of the Forestar kingdom.

“Is there anyone you remember being near the carriage, or were there any noises outside prior to the crash”? Asked A particularly tall man in a gold plated guardsman suit.

“I don't remember anything in particular, just the rumbling of the wheels over the cobblestone trail”.I responded.

“Well perhaps you're reflect might know more about this situation, He does follow you around after all” He decided while fooling around with his jacket.

“I Don't think that will help, um you see I can do magic but I don't really have a-”

“Ach! Let me go , Let me go” A girls voice interrupted me. I turned to the source of the abruptance, looking straight across at me from the other side of the mirror was a long haired chick?

“Who the heck are you”? I questioned the girl.

“Hhmm.. incredible what a strange course of events. A Male Magick with a female Reflect?

Well I still have some questions so I will ask you for your answers”asked the man referring to the Girl in the mirror.

“Wait first, l want my own answers”I demanded

“Shut him up” the girl commanded

“Yes Madam” the guard bowed then waved His off-hand at two guards.

“Hey wait no,you don't have to do this!” I protested as the guards closed in and grabbed me.

“This isn't going to hurt a bit” the man started laughing to himself.

The man tied a ball gag to my face!

“The ride was nice, actually quite pleasant until This Lughead had to pee, he went outside, once the carriage stopped then a couple of robbers came out and lugged him on the side of the head. I didn't see anyone on my side so I guess whoever attacked him didn't have a reflect”she finished with.

(Pee,pee! I never did no such thing!)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
767 Reviews


Points: 26330
Reviews: 767

Donate
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:09 am
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...



Hi there! I'll jump right into it~

First thing that I noticed was the inconsistent use of punctuation in your dialogue, which made it a bit difficult to read. Here are some quick articles here on YWS about this very topic you might find useful: Dialogue Punctuation and Puncuation in Dialogue. The other thing to note is that you don't typically want to break up dialogue over different paragraphs unless it gets really long. Take this example:

"I'm so happy you came," Annie said. "I didn't think that you would be able to come."

Even though this character said two different lines, they were still in the same paragraph because they're two pretty short ideas. That makes it less confusing for the reader to know who is speaking at any given point.

Next thing, I saw that you give us a better explanation of the magic system of this novel in the comments below, which is great that you've got it planned out! The main issue is that the information isn't in the novel itself, which meant that I was pretty confused as I was reading through this piece. It's a difficult thing to strike a balance between introducing new concepts to the reader but not giving away too much at once. As I'm sure you already know, you definitely don't want to just put an info-dump about the magic in the middle of your chapter, because it messes up the flow of it. You want to try to create situations where you can show off the rules of the world to teach the reader by example. For instance! You could show us a scene of the separating ceremony happening (maybe to someone else through the narrator's eyes as an outside perspective), or you could have some internal thought about their lack of a Reflect, etc.

The other big idea I wanted to touch on this that you've got a lot of dialogue, and I'm glad to see that you're stepping right into the action, but it is a bit confusing to read. The reason is that this feels like a lot of talking heads, and I don't have any mental image of what is happening. Where are the characters right now? I know there was some kind of crash, but how long ago was it? Is the narrator near the carriage? Where the guard come from (did they notice the crash and stop to help?) What do their surroundings look like? What do the other guards/girl look like?

I also have no clue what was happening with the girl. First she was being held by the guards and then they did what she asked them? It was a little bit hard to follow. As I said above, adding a bit more description to the scene around the dialogue so we can have a better mental image of what is going on will help your story a lot!

I think you have some good ideas here, but working on adding some more to the narration would go a long way to presenting them better :) I wish you luck with the rest of your novel!

~ Wolfe




YOUKNOWWHO says...


thanks! This is my old writing but I can do a lot better now thanks to people like you!



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 50
Reviews: 7

Donate
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:40 pm
YOUKNOWWHO says...



For a little story or term knowledge

okay, so A reflect is a mirror version of you who can move talk and everything a human can
only Magicks have reflect's. When a magick is 18-20 they can use the separating ceremony to let their magick out of the mirror. There is a group known as the Rose-robed who when they get their reflect out, the reflect and the magick compete in mortal combat to decide who gains full power of their magic. a lot of people don't separate from their reflect because it gives them advantages in jobs such as teaching guard work and lots others.

Magic is gained from the reflect. Reflect's when gone through the separating ceremony lose half their power which goes to their magick.

all a little background info. The boy Yuharu was born without reflect but could still do magick.
Reflects are treated with respect so are girls so a girl-reflect is sort of one at the top of the respect line.




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 50
Reviews: 7

Donate
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:39 pm
YOUKNOWWHO says...



Regular's are the second-lowest on the respect line to most magicks
the rose robed gaining first




User avatar
4100 Reviews


Points: 253913
Reviews: 4100

Donate
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:59 am
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

First Impression: Well this is certainly quite an interesting place to start a story off. It looks like you have quite the world built up her for the story as a whole and there's some pretty interesting questions brought up right in the first chapter which usually bodes quite well for the story.

Anyway let's get right to it,

“I Don't remember much of what happened After the crash, the carriage suddenly ran off the road!” I explained to the guardsmen of the Forestar kingdom.


Hmm...it appears our protagonist is in a spot of trouble right from the get go. Well it certainly does serve the purpose of immediately getting our attention so that is a good thing at least. Let's see what happen after.

“Is there anyone you remember being near the carriage, or were there any noises outside prior to the crash”? Asked A particularly tall man in a gold plated guardsman suit.


That actually seems like a reasonable line of question, I am liking these guardsmen so far.

“I don't remember anything in particular, just the rumbling of the wheels over the cobblestone trail”.I responded.


Hmm....well that sounds like someone who was quite distracted there or just not even looking in that direction at all..

“Well perhaps you're reflect might know more about this situation, He does follow you around after all” He decided while fooling around with his jacket.

“I Don't think that will help, um you see I can do magic but I don't really have a-”


Hmm...okay...not sure why this person would respond with magic of all things as an answer to that question.

“Ach! Let me go , Let me go” A girls voice interrupted me. I turned to the source of the abruptance, looking straight across at me from the other side of the mirror was a long haired chick?


Okay...why did we cut to this all of a sudden? Little confused there.

“Who the heck are you”? I questioned the girl.

“Hhmm.. incredible what a strange course of events. A Male Magick with a female Reflect?


Okay I am assuming that's the guard maybe or something but I am losing track of whose speaking to who at the moment and a couple of dialog tags would be much appreciated here.

Well I still have some questions so I will ask you for your answers”asked the man referring to the Girl in the mirror.

“Wait first, l want my own answers”I demanded

“Shut him up” the girl commanded


Well the girl seems hostile to this dude for some reason...that's interesting.

“Yes Madam” the guard bowed then waved His off-hand at two guards.

“Hey wait no,you don't have to do this!” I protested as the guards closed in and grabbed me.

“This isn't going to hurt a bit” the man started laughing to himself.


Oh this is definitely going to end up hurting quite a bit.

“The ride was nice, actually quite pleasant until This Lughead had to pee, he went outside, once the carriage stopped then a couple of robbers came out and lugged him on the side of the head. I didn't see anyone on my side so I guess whoever attacked him didn't have a reflect”she finished with.

(Pee,pee! I never did no such thing!)


Well a very interesting note to finish this chapter on. Summarizing everything at least is somewhat useful I suppose although honestly this doesn't feel quite as much like an ending as you would hope.

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Overall I think this is a pretty good start. Its got a couple of issues that I pointed out above but for the most part I think this works out nicely. I will be looking out for more chapters of this should they exist.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




YOUKNOWWHO says...


This is the beginning draft of a story I have had sitting around for a while and just now actually started on!




The simple truth is that authors like making people squirm. If this weren't the case, all novels would be filled completely with cute bunnies having birthday parties.
— Brandon Sanderson, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians