z

Young Writers Society



Lies Hidden in Truth-prologue and part 1 of chapter one

by XxxcagedheartxxX


(for curious people chapter one is split for there are going to be different pints of views♥thnx for reading!)(also for THIS part its E but idk for other chapters lol)

Prologue-

There were two kingdoms. One is on the very depths of the ocean floor, where creatures beyond your wildest imagination lurked. The other is on land, where man walks the shores. At first they lived in peace. That was when the beautiful Sasha, leader of the mermaids made a bond with Castagan, the leader of warriors. They had a child, the first mixed breed. She had a special gift. Once on land, her beautiful tail transforms to legs and once she hits the water it turns back to a tail. Her name is Caoimhe. Caoimhe was born to be the first leader of both kingdoms, a forever peace treaty between two different beings.

Yet Castagan’s brother, the jealous prince, had other plans. He made his people believe the Sasha and her kingdom were controlling Castagan with their beauty, forcing such drastic measures. This lie started the wars. They were small, just a couple villagers pouring sewage and such in the water; still, it grabbed the sea creatures’ attention. Sasha and Castagan were then slit at the throats, and many were blamed. Now the two nations are at constant battle. The son of the prince, Laurent and Caoimhe took control of their nation; both believing one parent killed the other.

Chapter One- Part One- Caoimhe’s point of view

260,000 dead, more than 100 injured; this war has gone on long enough. I make my way down the hall, watching others swim past, all being very careful to make the curfew. At the end of the hall there are two huge mahogany doors with a single gold plate in the middle. It marked battle room, how I despised it. Yet, still I enter with a hard unreadable mask hiding my face.

“So I believe- your highness! We, uh, weren’t expecting you.” The general stated, at the far edge of the long table.

I solemnly swim to my seat and announce, “I believe I may attend my own meeting if I wish, General.”

“Of course, your majesty,” he replied as I sat. He droned on and on, taking in ideas as poisoning their water supply, cutting them from the rest of the world, etcetera, and etcetera. All options include the death of the humans; not something I want.

I rise from my seat while cutting off one of the officers, “do any of these plans have to do with not killing all the humans?” I waited for an answer, but when I get none I continue, “If we kill, they’ll kill. It’ll be an unending cycle. This is not something my mother, your past leader, would want and either do I. I propose that the leader, which is me, would go up to the surface world and reason with their leader, and, the prince if necessary. Who agrees?”

Hysterical laughter broke through out the room. I just sat down, arms crossed, and irritation clearly shown on my fair skinned face. I cleared my throat and then everyone went silent. I bit my tongue, trying to hold back a scream. They are all so incompetent!

Taking a deep breath, I try to reason, “Don’t you all get it? I am the queen, and they have a king. The only reasonable thing to do is to talk out our propositions with them. Also, if I don’t go, they won’t think we trust them.”

“But we don’t trust them, your highness,” interrupted a young officer. Standing up from his chair, he adds, “We are not going to risk your life!”

I ignored the last comment, “Conner, sit down and let me explain. It is true that many of you don’t trust the humans. Yet if we can’t trust them, they’ll never trust us. We have to work together for our goals to be met! Sometimes, sometimes we just have to forgive.”

“Forgive! HA, HA! Forgive and forget? Is that what you wish of us, your majesty?” the general’s voice had a hint of hysterics as he got from his seat and stormed over to me, “Do you remember what they did to your mother, Caoimhe?? They killed her! I don’t know about you, but we won’t forget her!”

Now that did it! My mask broke as I felt my face grow hot. I got up my from my seat, my tail forcing back the chair. Tears filling my eyes, I narrow them to slits to hide the sadness I felt. I swam straight to his face, and practically screamed, “How dare you!” It took all my energy just to not slap that man, “How dare you believe, even for just a second I’d forget about my mother! I love her for god’s sake! I’m doing this all for her! You’ve known her longer than me General! Do you really think that she would let you kill innocent peoples’ lives, women, children, or would she do what I propose to do right now?”

He was silent for a moment, and now I knew, for sure, my answer. If Sasha, my mother, their past leader, was alive she’d talk to them, not waste innocent lives like what is happening right now! I consider the General a father to me, but now I don’t even want to look at him! I was lost in my own thoughts, so when I heard the General sigh I nearly jumped. “Caoimhe. Caoimhe, Caoimhe,” he took my hand and looked straight into my eyes. His were full of worry and sadness, just like a fathers eyes should. It made me regret yelling at him. I was speechless, so he continued, “Times have changed. It is not anymore like the peaceful times where your mother was alive. Try to look from our point of view. If you die, not only would everyone remorse, you’d leave us with no leader. Man will then take advantage of that. I’m sorry Caoimhe, but we can’t allow that.”

He let go of my hand and now addresses everyone. I glance around the room too. Everyone’s face showed shock, pure amusement. Ha, glad they’re enjoying themselves, I thought. “We shall postpone this meeting to a week from now. You all may now go to you houses for a good nights’ rest.” As I too was about to leave, the general adds, “Your majesty. A word if you please.”

I swim over to him and as calmly as I could I ask, “Yes General?” Despite my effort, my voice cracked at the end.

He lifted my chin with a finger, “Caoimhe; so young, so strong.” He whispered, more to himself than to me. It is true that I am young, for a leader at least. I turned twenty not that long ago, though it has been four years since my mother’s death. Four years since I first started being queen. He continued talking, “you know I consider you a daughter of mine, right?”

“Yes,” I replied, “and I too consider you a father.” He smiled as tears formed in his eyes. What I wouldn’t do to make him happy. He’s the one that has always taken care of me, other than my mother, for my father is a man.

“And that I would do almost anything for you?” where is he going with this? I just look in his eyes and nod, “Yet this is not anything. I’m sorry but I can’t lose you,” he paused, but before I could retort he cut me off, “I have one question for you though. Is this truly for peace making sake, or is it for you to reunite with your father?” his soldier look broke as I stared at him in shock. A single tear rolls down his cheek “goodnight, my angel.” He whispered in my ear and then kissed my cheek before swimming off, leaving me behind. Though, he paused in the doorway and turned towards me. “Be safe.” He added like he already knew my decision and closed the door, leaving me in the dark; leaving me alone to think.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 246 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 2695
Reviews: 13

Donate
Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:27 pm
Vampiress says...



Well, E means a little kid could read it without getting scared, lots of blood, scared about war. But yes, so far I agree it's E. Good story!! I like they way you ended it. It makes me want to keep reading. Please write more!! I like it and your welcome for the help.
Mackenzie




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 1549
Reviews: 12

Donate
Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:27 pm



thanks a lot Mackenzie, much appreciated. :D I'm a little loss on what to rate it though.....because there's no inappropriate parts, but it does talk about war...... i don't know but i think so far its E
i hope you like it and i love things to work on so I'm open to critique! :D




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 2695
Reviews: 13

Donate
Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:03 pm
Vampiress wrote a review...



By the way, I love your title for it. It really caught my attention. Good luck and I hope tons of people read it. Have you written more than chapter 1? If so, post post post ( well after you age rate it) Once again, :D good luck and I hope you get very very far with your story.
-Mackenzie




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 2695
Reviews: 13

Donate
Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:59 pm
Vampiress says...



Then, I will read it. ;D




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 2695
Reviews: 13

Donate
Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:59 pm
Vampiress says...



I think you should rate this so people know who the audience is for. Just in case, for non-age appropriate things. =)





she slept with wolves without fear, for the wolves knew there was a lion among them.
— r.m. drake