Exposed Chapter 2

by XxjustmeXx

I stare at my older sister, Lina. Her black tank top's folded up to reveal from her ribs down and it looks disgusting. And I mean like, Jimmy eating a worm yesterday disgusting times five.

All her bones are sticking out her sides and she doesn't even have that little pouch that everybody has right in the middle of her tummy. Well she does, but it's barely noticable.

She stares back at me, confused at why I'm just staring at her. I expected her to yell at me and tell me to get out but she's just looking back at me.

"Lina, what's wrong with you?" I whisper, walking slowly up to her.

"Me? What's wrong with you? You're such a wierdo sometimes." She turns from me and pushes her shirt down.

"No!" I grab her arm and spin her back around. "Don't brush me off this time. What's wrong with you're stomach?"

Tears fill her eyes and I instantly feel bad.

"Lya, I know I'm fat, you don't have to point it out." She whispers and turns back around to grab a manilla folder off the floor labeled "work."

"Lina, I don't know what you're talking about but I was talking about you're bones sticking out of your sides. I know I'm only eleven but even I know that means something's wrong." I say, spinning her back around so she has to face me.

She looks down at me, probably seeing a firm look similiar to our mom's but I don't care at this point. My older sister always took care of me, now I have to return that favor.

"No they're not Lya, you should really get your eyes checked. There's nothing wrong with me." She says and pushes me towards the door. "Now get out."

"Fine, if you won't talk to me I'll tell Mom." I threaten.

"Don't you dare."

"Try me."

"Brat!"

"Liar!"

"I swear if you don't get out I'll punch you in the face!"

"You're too weak for it to hurt!"

"I can still kick you're scrawny little butt any day!"

"Then why don't you come over and make me get out!"

"Fine have it you're way!"

Lina comes over and picks my struggling figure up.

"Mom! Tell her to put me down!" I scream.

"Put you're sister down now!" Mom's stern voice rings through the house.

"Okay." She drops me outside her door. "One word to mom and she'll find out all about you trying cigarettes last year. And she might just think you're still smoking. From an inside source of course."

She winks then shuts her door. I hear the soft click meaning she locked me out.

I storm to my room and slam my door, fuming. I'll give her week, if she doesn't get better I'll tell our mom.

Cigarette thing or not, I will tell.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:24 pm
Chickensandwitch wrote a review...

I love this so far. The first chapter was written a little bit awkwardly but this one sounds better; also I like the change in views. Grammarwise, I don't know what I'm talking about and other people have dealt with that already. So I'm just going to tell you that it's really interesting so far and I'm curious for more.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:30 am
Snoink wrote a review...

Hmmm... not sure if I like this shift. It doesn't sound quite right. I mean, you already mention that Lina has eating disorders, which implies that she looks sick, so you don't to stress this too much. I think subtlety is a good thing in this case. I would probably suggest sticking with Lina's viewpoint... it seems like you're struggling with this viewpoint and Lina's viewpoint is really captivating as it is. So, I don't think you need to change it around too much.

And now! A couple of nitpicks!

"And I mean like, Jimmy eating a worm yesterday disgusting times five." <-- Lya is in fifth grade, right? I think this kind of description is better for maybe Kindergarten through second grade, if that high.

Also! You keep writing "your" as "you're." Like, "What's wrong with you're stomach?" Remember that "you're" is a contraction and actually means "you are" while "your" is a possessive pronoun! :) And yes, I am an English geek, lol.

Keep on writing this! :o

Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:02 am
Matthews wrote a review...

XxjustmeXx wrote:I stare at my older sister, Lina. Her black tank top's folded up to reveal from her ribs down and it looks disgusting. And I mean like, Jimmy eating a worm yesterday disgusting times five. #800080 ">Hmm, first off, I have to say I dislike the narrator changing from Lina to Lya. It makes things harder to understand and is just overall...bothersome. To me. It's your story, just sayin'. Also, the way you have this worded is strange. Try, "Her black tack top is folded up revealing her ribs and stomach, which look disgusting. Also, I think you should change the Jimmy part, and ad the little -'s between the words. It would make more sense/be easier to read.

All her bones are sticking out her #FF8000 ">of sides and she doesn't even have that little pouch that everybody has right in the middle of #FF8000 ">their tummy. Well she does, but it's barely noticable. #800080 ">I agree, take out this last sentence.

"No!" I grab her arm and spin her back around. "Don't brush me off this time. What's wrong with you're stomach?"#800080 ">'you're' should be 'your'. You do this in a lot of areas, so make sure you go over that and make sure it's correct.

"Lya, I know I'm fat, you don't have to point it out#FF8000 ">," #FF8000 ">she whispers and turns back around to grab a manilla folder off the floor labeled "work." #800080 ">I liked this part. Really shows that Lina really DOES think she's fat.

#800080 ">Yeah. I totally agree, this is NOT the way she would respond. How about, "You're not fat, Lina! Your bones are all sticking out! I may be a kid, but you are skinny.

"No they're not Lya, you should really get your eyes checked. There's nothing wrong with me#FF4000 ">," #FF4000 ">she says and pushes me towards the door. "Now get out." #800080 ">Lina says there's nothing wrong with her, but being fat is something wrong so...

"Fine, if you won't talk to me I'll tell Mom#FF4000 ">," I threaten. #800080 ">First off, in my mind, what I'd see Lya doing is taking a glance at Lina, having their little argument, then Lya merely going to the mom. Why would she want to 'talk'? What is there to say? Lina obviously has her mind set that she is obese.

"Don't you dare."

"Try me."

"Brat!"

"Liar!"

"You're too weak for it to hurt!"

"Fine have it you're way!"

"Put you're sister down now!" Mom's stern voice rings through the house. #800080 ">This whole bit of dialogue was rather confusing. It was hard keeping track of who was saying what. Maybe ad who says what occasionally?

"Okay." She drops me outside her door. "One word to mom and she'll find out all about you trying cigarettes last year. And she might just think you're still smoking. From an inside source of course." #800080 ">Please take out the 'all' in the second sentence. Try reading 'out all about' together...it's hard, right?

Cigarette thing or not, I will tell.

OK, I agree, ad more description! I know that is hard, TRUST me, I'm terrible at it! However, I can't really see what either girl looks like. Maybe ad a little bit more basic history as well. When did Lina first start being anorexic? What started it? Why doesn't her mom notice? Where's her dad? Where do they live? How old is Lina? Etc. Just a few little things, to give your story more of a solid base. I can't wait to find out what happens next! Message me with the next chapter, please! :D

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:48 pm
Rascalover wrote a review...

Hey,
Here I am again; I enjoyed your story line, so I'm back to review chapter two. Here's the meat of your review:

I stare at my older sister, Lina.

You should Put Emilya's name along with chapter two so that we know it is in the persepctive of her and not lina liek chapter one.

Her black tank top's folded up to reveal from her ribs down and it looks disgusting.

There should be a comma after down because you are combining two complete senteces with the conjunction and.

And I mean like, Jimmy eating a worm yesterday disgusting times five.

The and should be taken out since you never ever start a sentence with a conjunction. I like this sentence because it gives the essence of a younger sibling, child.

All her bones are sticking out her sides and she doesn't even have that little pouch that everybody has right in the middle of her tummy.

There should be a comma after sides because you are combining two complete sentences with the conjunction and. Also, here is where I would love to see some in detail description. Turn it up a notch because i know you can.

Well she does, but it's barely noticable.

This demenishes from the description, and I don't think it adds to the fact that Lya is worried about Lina about being too skinny. I suggest taking it out completely.

I expected her to yell at me and tell me to get out but she's just looking back at me.

there should be a comma after out because you are combining two complete sentences with the conjunction but.

There should be a comma after eyes because you are combining two complete sentences with the conjunction and.

I don't think someone in this condition would give this response. I think she would try to deny it a little more, saying something along the lines of 'theres nothing wrong, what are you talking about? My stomach looks fine.' In the dialogue above it feels like she's giving up, ready to get better from the disease of being anorexic, but by Lina's actions I don't think she is ready to give in.

"Lina, I don't know what you're talking about but I was talking about you're bones sticking out of your sides.

There should be a comma after about because you are combining two complete sentences with the conjunction but.

I know I'm only eleven but even I know that means something's wrong."

There should be a comma after eleven because you are combining two complete sentences with the conjunction but.
I don't think this would be the sister's response either. I think she would rather say your not fat! Are you going crazy? That's just a suggestion/opinion; don't change it if you don't see it fits.

She looks down at me, probably seeing a firm look similiar to our mom's but I don't care at this point.

There should be a comma after mom's because you are combining two complete sentences with the conjunction but.

My older sister always took care of me, now I have to return that favor.

Replace the comma with a semi-colon because you are combining two complete sentences without a conjunction.

There should be a comma after scrawny because both scrawny and little are describing the word butt.

"Fine have it you're way!"

There should be a comma after fine because there is a natural pause there.

And she might just think you're still smoking.

Never start a sentence with a conjunction. Just take it out and capitalize the word she.

I hear the soft click meaning she locked me out.

It would sound better if you just said: I hear the soft click of the lock on the other side.

I'll give her week, if she doesn't get better I'll tell our mom.

Overall there needs to be way more description; it would add length and depth to your chapters. the dialogue needs to be a tad more realistic. I just can't seem to think that those are real reactions to the situation. I want to believe in you characters and what goes on around them. Sometimes to fix this problem you can simple sit and watch the world around you. It is like a play or book itself. Watch people having conversations and such, and draw from that. Also, be careful as to switching tense, maticulously go through and check all of your words to make sure they are in the same tense. There were a few spots that were tricky, so I didn't point them out. Just be care of tense though. If you have any questions or need another review feel free to PM me or write on my wall.

have a good day,
Tiffany

Hail Hydra
— Stan Lee