z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Violence Mature Content

Z-Day: Load Up ~ Part 4

by XxXTheSwordsmanXxX


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

Word Count: 2333

Jerry panted as he pried his hands from the grips of the machine gun. The tingling feeling from the jarring kick still left his hands with that pin pricking feeling. Climbing down into the cab he rested his head back against the head rest. “That was close,” Jerry commented.

“Yeah, a little too close. We have to be careful the next time we take these guys out,” Roy said, shaking his head. He reached back and slid open the little door that separated the group. “Everyone okay?” Silence answered them from the back of the truck. “I need a response! Is everyone okay?!”

“We're not hurt,” Jake said, his face appearing in the small window.

“That's better,” Roy said. “Make sure any wounds are covered and let me know if anything is wrong.”

Jerry took a quick glance through the small window. The little group of survivors huddled to the sides of the truck, amongst the boxes of food, weapons, and ammo. His gaze stopped on Beth. She sat with her knees hugged to her chest and rocking back and forth. The pistol that she had accidentally fired tossed as far away from her as she could manage in the small area of boxes and bodies. Her eyes were wide with horror with what she had done by accident.

Jerry looked to Roy with a sad uncertainty. “Where are we going now?” he asked.

“I don't know, man,” Roy sighed. “Everywhere we turn there are just more of those fucking crazies. Hey, open up that computer screen there. It's a Blue Force Tracker,” Roy pointed to a large flat screen that folded open, displaying a map. “Is there a blue dot on that map that came up?”

“Yeah; but, it's over the New Mexico state line,” Jerry said.

“Looks like we're headed to New Mexico then.”

“Why? What's a blue dot mean?”

“Friendly forces. It means that somewhere over there someone has another Blue Force Tracker and is relaying information.” Jerry nodded before rubbing his eyes. They felt like lead weights were attached to them and slowly pulling them down. “Get some shut eye, man.” Roy patted him on the shoulder. “It's gonna be a long drive to New Mexico.” Jerry nodded and slowly let sleep overtake him.

_______________________________________________________________________

“Did you fall asleep?” Katherine asked.

Jerry shielded his eyes from the sun as he looked up to his wife. “Only for a minute. Weird dream though.”

“You always have weird dreams,” Katherine giggled. The yard was populated with little kids running around screaming and brightly colored birthday decorations. Jerry pulled himself from the folding chair he had napped in and stretched. Marian's crying had kept him up most of the previous night; but, he wouldn't trade it for the world. The presents were all stacked on the table and wrapped in brilliantly colored paper and festive bows. A large sign saying, HAPPY BIRTHDAY EDWARD! Was strung across the back of the house.

“You're it, Daddy!” Edward said, grabbing his leg.

Jerry chuckled as he patted Edward's head. “Daddy doesn't want to play tag, buddy. Go play with your friends,” he said, ushering his son off.

“Happy birthday to you,” sang the party goers. Little kids quickly gathered around the red paper covered picnic table as Katherine brought the birthday cake filled with bright candles fluttering in the gentle breeze.

“Make a wish, Edward,” Katherine said. Edward took a deep breath and blew hard, extinguishing the tiny flames. The small crowd clapped as the smoke slowly rose up from the blackened wicks. The chaos resumed in the small yard as cake was handed out to everyone.

Jerry walked up behind his wife, who was still cutting and handing out cake, and smiled as the kids ran about, “Looks like it's your most successful party yet love,” he said. He looked back at his wife. She now stood there, staring off into space. The knife no longer in her hand and the sound of playful screams fading into nothing. “Katherine?” She slowly turned, her throat marred by a long cut that seeped blood down her bare breasts and torn clothes. She stared at him with a dull gaze before leaping at him and releasing an abyss yowl.

_______________________________________________________________________

Jerry jolted awake, screaming, still seated in the cab of the truck. He looked about trying to find the serene chaos of the party; but, only the flat desert greeted him. Pulled into a gas station he stepped out of the truck and stretched. “Nice to see you up and about,” Roy called, from the pump. The fuel line hung from the machine and poured fuel into the massive tanks. A long shadow was cast by the large Phillips 66 sign that normally would display the price of fuel; but were now dark without any hint of life to them.

“How long was I out?” Jerry asked, rubbing his eyes.

“Ten hours, I'd say. You really needed it.”

“Yeah well, I'm surprised I slept at all. Where is everyone?”

“Getting snacks and drinks from inside. I figured we might as well take it since that stuff has an expiration date. Beth took Julie to the restroom to get her washed up. They're the only ones I can't see. Could you go check on them?”

“Yeah.” Jerry checked the pistol at his side, ensuring that there were rounds still in it. The sun reflected off of the dry earth making Jerry squint as he walked around the building. Beth leaned against the wall by the door, staring down at the dust at her feet. Since the first time they met it was the first time that he really got a chance to see her. Auburn hair pulled back into a wavy ponytail. A younger complexion that seemed to hint a small amount of naivety that she possessed. “Hey, you alright?”

Beth looked up to him and shook her head. “I killed someone. I... I can't forgive myself for that. I'm not a violent person and I just shot him.”

“It was an accident, Beth,” Jerry said, placing a hand on her shoulder. “No one blames you for what happened.”

“That doesn't take away the feeling of guilt I have. I pulled the trigger. Then Adam's head was just... and the blood...” Beth turned her face away, a hand covering her mouth. Jerry could see that she was trying to get control of the heaves that shook her body almost violently. “I won't use a gun again. I can't. I just can't.”

He nodded looking down. He knew exactly what she meant. When he thought back to what he had to do to survive that first day, it made him want to go puke too. “How old are you Beth?”

“I just turned seventeen.” Beth choked down the bile taste that sat at the back of her throat.

“Wow. You're only eight years younger than me? You seem very mature for your age.”

“I was gonna go to college this next year. Guess that's something I'm gonna miss out on.”

“Don't worry about that. The professors were snobs and the classes were boring as hell. Even the parties weren't that great. You never remembered them and some poor fool always had marker drawn across his face.” Beth let a small smile play on her lips. “There that's better. Do you have any family that we should let know that you're alright?”

“My mother died when I was young and my father is a trucker that picks up extra shifts all the time. There isn't anyone that I would be able to contact.”

Jerry nodded. “I lost my family too. If you want to talk. I'll be around.”

“Don't make any promises.”

Jerry sighed. She was right, of course. With the hell that the world had turned into there was no telling when your number was up. “How long has it been since Julie went in there?” he asked, motioning to the door.

“I... I don't know. Maybe twenty minutes?”

Jerry didn't know why; but, something felt wrong. Maybe it was paranoia or maybe it was survival instinct. He drew the pistol at his hip and slowly pushed the heavy door open. The bright light flooded into the aqua tiled room. Definitely built when those putrid colors were the style of the time. Julie lay on the floor, here eyes void of life, as her body was pulled back and forth by the three crazies dressed in gas station uniforms that ravaged her flesh. Blood pooled on the tiles around the small entourage, slowly claiming more ground as it went, and smeared across what was left of Julie's skin that was now exposed from her torn dress. Jerry was vaguely aware of Beth screaming beside him. The crazies looked up seeing the pair of them standing in the door way and stumbled to their feet, rushing the door. They seemed to be moving in slow motion to Jerry. Even his reaction of grabbing the door and pulling it closed enough for his fingers to slip out before the group slammed into the door seemed slowed. The small trio hammered their hands on the solid metal door trying to get through to their meal on the other side.

Jerry quickly wrapped his arm around Beth's shoulders and dragged her to the front of the store. “What happened?” Roy asked seeing Beth's expression.

“No one uses the restroom under any circumstances,” Jerry said, helping Beth to the back of the truck. “Julie is dead. There were three crazies in the restroom just sitting in there.”

“Shit,” Roy sighed. “Alright, we need to check everything from now on. If we don't, we'll all end up dead.” He pulled the pump from the tank and capped it. “Everyone, listen up. We're losing people left and right here. So we need to lay down a few ground rules. One, no one goes anywhere alone. Ever. Two, everyone will carry a weapon on them at all times.”

“No,” Beth said quickly. “I won't use a gun again.”

“Tough luck, kid. Either you carry or you die. Those are the options. Everyone 'will' carry a weapon. Third, you will do what I say when I say it. No hero shit. That's how people end up dead. Alright, everyone into the truck. We still have a ways to go.”

The small group of survivors shuffled into the military truck and found themselves spots between the boxes of supplies. They sat there, a lack of hope in their faces as the truck roared to life once more. Jerry sat in the passenger seat and rested his head against the warm glass. “I wish I knew what the fuck was going on,” Roy growled.

“I know. It just seems like the more that we try to figure it out, the more people end up dying,” Jerry said.

“Well, let's just get to the base. Hopefully, whoever sent out that signal isn't gone or dead.”

“Or crazy.” The two of them fell silent, knowing full well what the likelihood was.

The road just seemed to go on and on through the desert. No signs of life. Only the occasional small town that was void of any survivors that might be in need of aid. “Hey, Roy,” Jerry said, quietly. “I'm not disagreeing with what you said back at the gas station; but, did you have to be so harsh with Beth?”

“If she can't handle it then she shouldn't be here.”

“I understand where you're getting that logic; but, I don't think that applies here. It's not like she can just quit what's happening.”

“What are talking about?”

“I mean that this isn't the army. It isn't like she enlisted for this shit. It just happened, and she was thrown into it whether she wants to be here or not.”

Roy paused a second and let out a heavy sigh. “You're right. I should've approached that better. What about you?”

“What about me?”

“How would you have approached that situation?”

Jerry thought about it for a minute as he stared out the windshield. “I think I would've taken a moment to explain exactly why everyone needed to have a weapon. Just shutting down what she was saying isn't gonna make her want to carry a gun. It also makes it so that she wouldn't voice her opinion of things if she thinks that she is just going to get shot down again.”

Roy nodded and cracked open a can of Budweiser, sipping at it quietly. “Yeah, well. I never was much of a people person. Maybe you should do the talking from now on. I can be a little brash.”

“Really? I didn't notice.” The silence seemed to go on forever. The only sound was the tires humming on the asphalt they traveled on. “What was the last movie you watched? And I don't mean at home. I mean the last movie you watched in theaters.”

Roy chuckled and shook his head. “The Legend of Hercules.”

“I remember that one. I thought it was pretty good. The guy playing Hercules did a good job.” The pair found it somewhat relaxing to talk about something closer to normal than the end of the world that currently surrounded them.

“Mine was Paranormal Activity,” Jake said through the small window. “Scared the shit out of me.”

“What about you, Beth?” Jerry asked. “What was the last movie you watched?”

“You don't wanna know,” Beth grumbled.

“Come on, Beth. We don't care if it was a chick flick,” Roy said.

“World War Z,” Beth said, hugging her legs to her. The mood suddenly dropped again as the reality was setting in that nothing would be normal ever again.

To Be Continued...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
88 Reviews


Points: 4704
Reviews: 88

Donate
Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:43 am
Zee6 wrote a review...



So one more dead.
Didn't see that one coming...oh wait. It's actually interesting having a person die a chapter because it means the group is going to try and fix and it. Bam! Now they're rules. I was clearly wrong about Julie and i'm disappointed, but what ever.

Roy and Jerry argue well, like they just are so clam and come to an agreement easily. that weird because that doesn't usually happen with stories I read. The development in the story and characters are starting to heat up a bit and I hope to see Jake get some of that as well as Jane. I like how Beth saw World War Z in the theater and I did when it came out to and I could only imagine comparing the movie to real life like she was doing. It sucks.
Here I go next chapter.




User avatar
38 Reviews


Points: 4853
Reviews: 38

Donate
Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:41 am
StarGazer wrote a review...



Hey! I'm back! Once again, killing off characters is good. Beth got more development, which is excellent, and killing Julie, while cutting off possible emotion, also eliminates dead weight. Comatose as she was, she was doing nothing for the story, and removing her gives it more room and less characters to keep track of. As I said, I really like what you're doing with Beth. Someone who's afraid of guns can be an interesting character in this type of story. They can take a different weapon, be forced to carry a gun, become the driver or a doctor, or just dead weight to sit around and get others killed. In addition, the quick bit with Jerry remembering allowed us to see a bit more of him and that he's human, he feels sick for his extreme actions. Most people would be repulsed by what he had to do, and having him be fine made him seem a little . . . off. Even now, a complete breakdown could really add some humanity and reliability. Finally, the quick discussion at the end let the characters seem humans as well, added some depth, and a tiny bit of backstory. Short conversations like that can often lead to the biggest moments between characters.

As a note, I wanted to talk about your writing style. It's good, but it seems a bit . . . unfinished. Like it's a rough draft you just finished. The punctuation adds to that a bit, but it feels bumpy, almost. I can't name exactly what's off about it, but a second going over and a rewrite/review could do wonders for the piece. I'm really enjoying these sections. Off to the next one!






I wanted to say something on your mention of Jerry's Psyche. The thing is that when people go through a trauma they usually do one of two things. They deal with it and let it go, or they bury, and sometimes burying it takes all of the feeling with it. I do have a rather large break down planned for Jerry, but I am waiting for the perfect time to add it.




"My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together."
— Bishop Desmond Tutu