z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

By Its Cover

by XxXTheSwordsmanXxX


“Hurry up and pick one out, Matthew” Mother said to her son. “You can only get one.”

Matthew nodded as he rushed into the room. He looked about with a curious gaze, unsure of which one to choose. He scratched his brown scalp as he approached an old man. His face was worn and covered in wrinkles. A kind smile accented his face, stretching the creases of his face. His eyes sparkled as he saw the little boy standing in front of him. “Who are you?” Matthew asked.

“I'm just an old man,” the old man chuckled softly. “But I can tell you many things about the ways of the world and how it is that you came here.” Matthew looked at him for a moment longer before walking by The old man gave him a sad look, but did not utter a word. Few chose him anymore, many would sit and talk with him for long hours into the night; but ultimately, he would remain.

Matthew continued his journey through the expanse. He met a woman dressed in a tight fitting, grey suit that reached from her ankles all the way up to her neck. Bright brass buttons gleamed in the light, each of them having been polished religiously. Her face was turned up as she looked through her thin framed glasses to the book that she was studying. Her white hair was pulled up into a tight bun that pulled at the wrinkles around her eyes. “Excuse me,” Matthew asked meekly.

The woman turned her gaze from the faded book to the boy. She looked over her glasses with a quizzical glare. “If you wish to be heard,” she began with a nasally voice, “then you must enunciate each syllable clearly and concisely. And stand up straight. Slouching is the sign of laziness.” Matthew straightened a little, but hurried passed the woman. She just turned her nose up once again to read her book with a calculated stare.

Matthew passed by one after another. One man dressed in a plaid shirt and a thick beard talked to him about birdhouses as he put a pencil behind his ear and a hand on a tool belt. Another woman, wearing a long white dress, spoke to him of knights in words that were long, elegant, and confusing. Matthew began to think that he would never find one that he could take home.

Then he heard it.

The barking of a small yellow dog, holding bright red ball in his mouth. He bounded about the floor making his floppy ears bounce about with every hop and jump. It hurried over to Matthew and dropped the ball at his feet and wagged its tail back and forth so hard that its entire body shook from the motion.

Matthew smiled as he picked the dog up and rushed over to his mother. “Mommy! Mommy! This one! I want this one!” he said holding the dog up to the best of his ability.

“Okay. Okay,” his mother chuckled as she draped her arm around his shoulders. “Let's take him up.”

Matthew hurried over to a counter near the door where a woman sat with a warm smile on her face. “Oh that is a good one,” she said in a cheerful voice as she lifted the dog up onto the counter. “He is very popular with other people your age. Just one more thing before we send him home with you.” She turned her gaze to Matthew, who was beaming with happiness.

“Do you have your library card?”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
264 Reviews


Points: 23295
Reviews: 264

Donate
Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:10 pm
Megrim wrote a review...



Ah, neat. I had a change of heart while I was reading. Initially I was like "this is obviously a library, and being so coy about it isn't winning me over." But then I finally figured out that the people are the books! And I liked that.

I think to alleviate my initial feeling of "I've already figured it out so do I really have to slog through all this," it would help to be a little less vague. Phrases like "he continued his journey into the expanse" feel like such intentional author-is-withholding-information lines. I think being more descriptive would avoid that, and ALSO help bring things more to life, as well as distract us from questioning too hard. For instance, you could have someone sitting on a table with their legs dangling, someone else leaning out from way high up on a shelf, someone else poking their head out from the "to be shelved" cart. Placing the people through the environment can bring it all out a lot more without giving your ending away.




User avatar
383 Reviews


Points: 19607
Reviews: 383

Donate
Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:29 pm
Sujana wrote a review...



An intriguing story with an intriguing execution. Before I get to interpretations, the grammars and the like.

-"“Hurry up and pick one out, Matthew” Mother said to her son. “You can only get one.”" The first line of dialogue doesn't end in a comma or a period. Perhaps change that for the better.

-"Matthew looked at him for a moment longer before walking by " This sentence is followed by a capitalized letter, so I assume that you've forgotten a period.

-"holding bright red ball in his mouth. " A bright red ball.

Now, to the nitty-gritty review part.

This was an interesting story with an interesting ending. I had to reread it a couple of times, because I couldn't imagine the state of things at first, before I considered the title itself--("He's in a library. He's in a goddamned library. *facepalms self for being stupid*"). Of course, I loved how you executed it, but I couldn't help but feel like you could make it much better.

For example, it's obvious that each character is a genre of a book and that the main character is in a library. Are there any other characters roaming the halls? Because if so, it would be interesting to see the difference between how many people who are talking to the old man and how many people who are petting the dog. And perhaps you could hint a bit at what the character actually wants. Maybe give a little foreshadowing to the audience? "He just wants to bring home something he can enjoy for a little while, and cherish for the rest of his life..."

But regardless, this was a fun and intelligent read. Great job here.

Signing out,

--EM.




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 241
Reviews: 13

Donate
Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:49 am
decco6226 wrote a review...



Oh my god, that was amazing! It was so creepy at the beginning and then it just resolved itself with a small sentence at the end! Whew, every things safe!

I think we can all agree that we at once in our lives have been nervous of a few strangers, or people who just seem out of place to us. I think you captured that perfectly in this work.

All in all, your spelling and grammar are pretty much perfect - with one or two errors, but nothing to be shocked at! I think this story was perfect, and I was not expecting that ending when I first scrolled by it!

Good job!




User avatar
130 Reviews


Points: 467
Reviews: 130

Donate
Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:23 pm
AutoPilot wrote a review...



Hello, the names Autopilot and I'm going to review your work.

To begin with, the title and description drew me in; we all here the phrase 'Don't judge a book by its cover" all the time. But as I was reading this, I found it a to be a little hard to read. When I saw it, I thought it was about books. As I read it, it was-although quite interesting-a little confusing. You don't learn until the end why he was there, but the story along the way did not seem to go with the ending. Is he in a library, and all those people are different books, and the puppy is a popular children's book? And when he gives it to his mom to check out, the librarian asked if he had his own library card. That would make sense, and would give the story a different meaning then I originally thought. So where is he, and what is going on?

Setting all of that aside, I really liked your story. Your word choices are most compelling, they make the story all the more interesting. When he meets the people, they all seem to have a message of life to give him. They seemed almost like personalities in human form. And your imagery skills are very good.

Great story!

And Keep on Writing!






Yes he is in a library and he is checking out a book to take him. I know that it seemed confusing but that was sort of the point. Each of the people that he meets are different books that one might find in a libarary (Old Man - Reference/history, old woman - Book on manners, Birdhouse man - Wood crafty book, White dress woman - Older medieval stories, Dog - Children's book)

This story is an exercise that I was doing where I was given a word to describe without every actually saying the word itself. It took me a few days to come up with the idea of books being people that are telling you their own story.

The title itself is actually a hint that you shouldn't look at the story at face value and try to see what the story is beyond the descriptions I gave.

I hope that helped with your understanding of the story and thank you very much for your review.



AutoPilot says...


Wow, knowing that, I see now how amazing this story you wrote is! I t kind of makes me want to do another review on it :D

Great job!



User avatar
48 Reviews


Points: 1863
Reviews: 48

Donate
Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:03 pm
Rosy234 wrote a review...



Hi!
I really liked the use of punctuation you have used, the layout, the use of short sentences. I like the choice of words you have used! I really like how you keep us in suspense and then suddenly reveal why Matthew is there. You have used imagery well and I hope you continue to use it in your writings! Please continue to write!






Thank you for the review. I always appreciate when people leave them for me. I'm glad that you liked it. I was doing a writing exercise about describing a specific word without actually saying the word I was describing. It is really difficult..Took me a few ideas to come up with this concept.




"Perhaps it is better to wake up after all, even to suffer, rather than to remain a dupe to illusions all one's life."
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening