A Soldier's Death

by XxXTheSwordsmanXxX

The morning mist settled on the dew covered grass of the pasture riddled with pitched white burlap tents. Men dressed in dull blue uniforms walked about holding muskets mounted with bayonets. Some were gathered around a small fire to try to fight off the cold that cut through the cotton uniforms like daggers. One man stirred a plain stew in a small pot over a flame as steam rose from the boiling mixture of food and water.

At the top of the small hill that over-looked the men and tents stood the old Sergeant dressed in his worn out dull blue uniform, three blue chevrons on both shoulders, and his medals resting over his left breast. His gray hair and mustache combed perfectly into place. His strong, old hands clasped behind his back as he looked over the platoon of men that began to rise and move about at dawn's approach. "Acceptable losses," he muttered as he thought over the meeting that he had stormed out of only moments ago.

"I could have you arrested for insubordination for your actions back there," the young Captain said walking up beside the old man. The Captain was half the age of the Sergeant with a youthful visage and brown hair combed back tight against his skull. He had recently graduated from West Point and it was obvious that he had no field experience. It was that fact that had the Sergeant's blood boiling in the briefing tent.

"Yeah, I know that you could; but, you won't," the Sergeant said with a huff. "You need me for this suicide mission that you are sending my platoon into." The old blue eyes looked over the men that stretched and walked about in the prairie below him knowing every face that greeted the day in hopes that this war might be finished soon.

"To a degree you are right," the Captain said clasping his hands behind his back. He was dressed in a new bright blue uniform, two gold bars on his collar to show his rank, and shining black boots that came up to his calf. Not a speck of dirt on him as he stood beside the older soldier. "But anyone can lead these men. I can't say that I understand your actions back there. These men fight for their country and any of them would die for it."

"These men do not fight for their country and I promise you, none of them want to die for it," the Sergeant quickly said as he sighed rubbing his temple looking to one of the soldiers that sat on a small barrel carving a small horse out of a scrap of wood with his bayonet. His white shirt had long since turned a creamy brown from being unwashed and his faded pants held up by suspenders that had no strength left in them. "Do you see that young man there?" the Sergeant asked gently. At the Captain's nod he continued. "Who do you think that young man is? What do you think that he is like?"

The Captain stared at the young soldier silently for a long time before he turned back to the Sergeant with an arrogant grin on his face. "He is a soldier fighting for his country and for freedom. He is a proud soldier that will do everything he has to for victory even if he has to put down his own life."

The Sergeant just shook his head with a tired sigh. "You are like every other captain fresh out of West Point," he said under his breath.

"Then tell me sergeant. What am I missing here?"

Nodding to the soldier he began to speak slowly, "His name is Private William Connell. He is from Jamestown, North Dakota. Before this war he was a farmer with a wife and three children: his two daughters Emily and Rebecca, and his son Edward. Edward will be six next month and starting school and he loves horses. That wooden horse that Connell is making is for him."

The Captain was about to remark on his admiration of the Sergeant's knowledge of the soldier before the Sergeant continued by turning and pointing toward the soldier stirring the stew for breakfast and then continuing to a few other soldiers. "That there is Private Bryan Powell. He is a teacher from Maine. He has a wife who is pregnant and waiting for him to come home so that they can move to the capital where he has a new job. That's Private Michael Hardy. He is half Cherokee and an able tracker. He wants to go to California to try to make a living as a wine maker."

The Captain listened carefully to the old Sergeant and smiled when he finally stopped. "I commend you on your knowledge of your men. It is quite impressive. However, I don't understand what that has to do with your outburst."

The Sergeant shook his head before drawing in a deep breath. "These men are just tokens on a map for you. You send them into battles and say that loosing a few of them is an 'acceptable loss', but you aren't the one that has to write home to the families of these men explaining to their wives, brothers, fathers, or sons that they are dead while fighting for their country," the Sergeant said in a deep growl. "I am the one that has to send them home in a pine box so that their loved ones' can bury them in their home soil. You just see soldiers that follow your orders. I see the men behind the soldier. I see what is being lost if they die on the battlefield. I see men that aren't fighting for their country or for their superiors. I see men fighting to see another day. These men are fighting for their wives, sons, daughters, families, and friends. You say that loosing this platoon is an 'acceptable loss'. The objective is more important than the lives of the soldiers that are fighting in the battle. Tell me Captain do you have any children?"

"Yes, I have a son."

"How would you like to get a letter one day that said that he died fighting for his country?" The Sergeant turned to him with an empathetic look. "Are you saying that you would feel proud because he died following orders? That he died for his country? Would you feel no remorse that your son was coming home only to be buried in the ground?" The Captain was shocked by the direct questions that the Sergeant was asking. "Every battle that is fought, I remember the faces of those that we have lost, those that have died for what they believed in and those that died just following orders from men like you. Men that thought of their soldiers as pawns on a board instead of what they really are. There is no such thing as an 'acceptable loss' in war. There are only losses."

"What we are doing will change the world," the Captain tried to reason. The collar of his uniform seeming to be getting tighter like a noose was pulled around his neck. "What these men fight for will give our country a chance to be something great."

"How can a world change when those that spill their blood to change it never leave the battlefield? How long can a world born from blood and death last?" The Sergeant said with a tired voice. "The world can never change like that. If you want to change the world... stop looking at these soldiers like there is nothing being lost when they fall. Stop looking at them as pieces on a board." The Sergeant walked down the slope toward his men as the sun broke over the prairie bathing the area in an orange glow. Walking among his soldiers one last time before the battle would begin that day. The soldiers regarded the Sergeant with a respectful greeting that didn't brighten the gloom that weighed heavily on his heart. The very path that he walked was like the graveyard that would soon be filled with the names of these soon to be fallen soldiers.

The Sergeant died with his men that day when the entire platoon fell trying to hold off an attack that overwhelmed their ranks. The Captain returned to that hill at sunset as the tents were being broke down to be stored. He walked through the platoon camp seeing the unfinished horse that Private William Connell was making for his six year old son, found the letters from Private Bryan Powell's wife talking about what they wanted to name their unborn child, and read the journal of Private Michael Hardy planning out his winery. Tears brimmed in the Captain's eyes as the cost of these soldier's deaths were far greater than what they had gained in that battle and far more than he could have ever imagined. Dreams that would never be realized and lives that would never be the same. The Captain left unable to face the silent haunting of the soldiers that died by his orders.

The Captain with an unbuttoned uniform and buddy boots sat by the fire near his tent staring into the flames with his hands clasped together in front of him. He turned his gaze to a young boy dressed in blue who was barely sixteen. A bandage covered his left eye and his arm was in a sling while he tried to eat the stew that had been made. The hot food would spill out of the wooden spoon before he could manage to bring the nourishing meal to his mouth. The Captain stood walking over and took the bowl from him gently before starting to feed him. "What is your name soldier?" the Captain said.

"Private Nathaniel Roberts, sir," the young boy said in a shaky voice wiping his chin of the brown broth of the stew.

"It's alright young man. Take it easy," the Captain said reassuringly as he sat down beside him. The Captain sat there with the Sergeant's words still echoing in his head as he looked at the wounded soldiers that surrounded him. "Tell me about yourself Nathaniel. I want to learn about the men that are under my command before I make another decision like today."

The soldier's main enemy is not the opposing soldier, but his own commander.

-Ramman Kenoun

Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:03 am
Megrim wrote a review...

I'm suspicious that this is another early piece of your writing, as it has that same style prose I think you've learned from and grown out of--namely, the wordy, unbroken sentences with lots of detail packed in. For instance:

the Sergeant quickly said as he sighed rubbing his temple looking to one of the soldiers that sat on a small barrel carving a small horse out of a scrap of wood with his bayonet.

By the end of that sentence, I'm feeling kind of breathless. Some commas would be good at the very least, but I think you're looking at two or three sentences there.

However, I noticed this in your older works and not so much in the newer works so I think you know better now and there's no need for me to dig into it much more than that. Instead, I'll talk about the content of this one.

I'm of two minds, because on the one hand, I love the message, and the ending in particular is beautiful. Actually, this is a common theme with your shorts (a lot of them are flash, really, as many are less than 1k words)--I love the endings, but get bored with the first 3/4 of the story. This may be a symptom of you trying too hard to set up a good twist or gut punch, at the expense of developing a proper conflict for the rest of the plot. You can get away with this in shorter fiction (microfiction is <100 or <300 depending on where you look, and usually what I've been writing), but I think in a piece of this length you really need a stronger backbone/scaffolding for the rest of the story.

In this particular case, I felt like there was a lot of soapboxing, with the characters SAYING what the message of the story is supposed to be. This went on a long while, then there was an unemotional mention of the Sergeant dying, and then we get the beautiful moment of characterization with the Captain. And that's really the crux of it: that's the interesting part because there's change and growth there. The first 3/4 is the Sergeant giving the readers a lecture.

If I were going to write this, I'd shoot for the <300, though that's probably because it's what I've been doing lately. (And maybe I will use this as a prompt! Hmm!) Paragraph 1 introduces the POVC, which would be the Captain, as he walks through the camp. In paragraph 2 he meets up with the Sergeant and makes a callous comment--he gets briefly told off. We see the Sergeant talk to a soldier, and how much he knows about the soldier. (Perhaps the situation is that the Captain wanted someone to do something, but everyone's more begrudging around him, and then the Sergeant uses his more personal touch to get things done and the soldiers are happy when he leads them). Paragraph 3 would be the battle and the death, and paragraph 4 would be a similar wrap-up with the Captain learning his lesson and taking up the mantle, sitting down to talk to a soldier. (Not counting dialogue as paragraphs in this example). So basically... the 1.2k words you spend with him preaching on his soapbox turns into one (or maybe two) really showy examples of maybe 150-200 words. Distilling it down would make the whole message a LOT more powerful.

And I think it comes down to a lack of conflict or momentum in that bulked-up 3/4 (both in this story and others). There's a lot of... wasted words? They don't add enough for their weight. If boiled down to its essence, there's surprisingly little to the story, and here, like in many of them, it's all about the crucial last paragraphs. So instead of wasting time and risking reader disinterest, GET us to that heart-wrencher AS SOON as you can get it set up. Either that, or develop a perhaps "red herring" conflict to carry us through--lots and lots of microtension. Depends on how you envision the piece: some of the things you imagine as short stories are probably "meant" to be flash fiction. But maybe some of them are "meant" to have a lot more meat added in and be expanded into a good 3-4k short story with a full arc and resolution.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:26 pm
Keralix wrote a review...

Hi!

This story is brilliant. This subject is nothing new when writing about soldiers, in fact almost all novels about war have something similar like this. But you took this unoriginal idea and made a masterpiece from it. The dialogue is so real that you can hear the Sergeant and Captain talk in front of you. The story is so easy to read. Everything is so clear and there isn`t anything to destract you from the main point. And that is so great. There aren`t any boring descriptions and unnecessary things to get in the way of story.

Keralix

Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:24 am
Rubric wrote a review...

Howdy,

I enjoyed this piece. I tend to read and write fantasy, but I’m discovering the rewards that come from history and historical fiction. This piece clearly turns on the axis of characterization, and the dressing down the sergeant gives his captain. To that end, it might be good to get a slightly more expansive description of them outside of their narrative roles of grizzled veteran and green commander, as it undermines the point being made in the piece if its central characters are seen as cardboard cutouts or a means to an end [even though, as writers, that's what characters will ultimately be]. I’ll now move toward specific commentary.

“the cold that cut through the cotton uniforms like daggers.”
I think the rhythm of the sentence might improve with “the cold that cut like daggers through their cotton uniforms” as it doesn’t divide the cutting action from the cutting implement.

“plain stew in a small pot over a flame as steam rose from the boiling mixture of food and water”
Most of this description isn’t necessary, largely because the scene will be familiar enough to a reader to imagine. We don’t need to know that the stew is a mixture of food and water or a number of other facts in this description.

“worn out dull blue uniform”
You’ve already described these uniforms as worn out. Perhaps faded?

“three blue chevrons on both shoulders, and his medals resting over his left breast.”
This might deserve its own sentence, as it kind of runs on from the previous statement.

“the young Captain”
Capitalization is an issue here, possibly because you haven’t distinguished between the character known as The Captain, and the fact that one of your characters hold the rank of captain. One is a proper-noun/name, the other is not.

“with a youthful visage”
Visage is one of those fancy words that has its own place, but I feel that its place is not here, in a camp of war amongst a brutally cold landscape with the scent of death in the air.

“He was dressed in a new bright blue uniform,”
Great idea, I love the contrast with the faded blue, but “new” is possibly something you could expand on. Surely it’s clean, even crisp; describe what newness looks like in a uniform, rather than reporting that it is so.

“Sergeant quickly said”
I’d encourage you to go for the simplicity of “said” without an adjective, or to go for another descriptive word that captures the quickness, like “retorted’

"His name is Private William Connel”
This is again a pretty neat way to introduce these character: the exposition is disguised as the sergeant making a rhetorical point, and gives a depth to the scene and the point to be made. Impressive.

“I don't understand what that has to do with your outburst."
This is where I go from thinking the captain is naïve to thinking he’s an idiot. I understand that his responses here are largely cues to the sergeant, but they do make him seem particularly obtuse. Just a reader’s response.

“and say that loosing a few of them”
Losing*

“that loosing this”
Again, losing*

“The Sergeant turned to him with an empathetic look.”
This jarred a little for me, because I feel like the sergeant has neither the need nor the inclination to look empathetically at the captain: he’s trying to instill empathy, rather than project it.

“being broke down to be stored”
Broken*

“William Connell was making for his six year old son”
The boy is still five for another month, no?

“The Captain left unable”
I’d throw a comma between left and unable to break up the thought.

Once again, I deeply enjoyed this piece. I found the quality of diction, grammar and punctioation generally excellent and felt that you did a good job of toeing the line between too-much and not-enough exposition, which is often a trap in a piece this short. The quote at the end was a nice touch to underscore the polemic of the piece as a whole.

Cheers,

Rubric.

ah yes my boiling cheetohs
— tatteredbones