Treasure Every Moment

by WritingWolf, niteowl

"So Ayana, looks like you might be the best seer in our class." Leonora said as the two students paced against the wind to their shift at the Red Griffin Tavern.

"What do you mean?" Ayana said.

"Haven't you heard? Your old boyfriend's going to stick around for a while. Just like you saw in your visions."

"Calvin?" Ayana's eyes grew wide and she blushed. "He...he was never my boyfriend. We were just friends. Then he had to leave for vet school." She started walking faster.

"Just friends. Uh-huh, sure. Anyway, his grandma left the hatchery in quite a state, apparently, so he's sticking around to help his family sort it out." Leonora walked faster to match her friend's pace. "So all those visions you had of him? Looks like they might come true."

Ayana pulled he coat closer around her, partially from being cold and partially from nervousness. "That can't happen. I can't be right about that."

"What do you mean? Isn't this a good thing?" Leonora looked at her quizically while flipping her brown hair over her shoulder.

"Come on, Lee. You know how we can see a million different variations of the same day?"

"Well, you can. I can only see two or three at best. But then, I'm not half as talented as you."

"Yeah, well anyway...I can't see Calvin. I can't take that chance. Couldn't even go to his grandmother's funeral. Not after what I've seen..." She shook her head, not wanting to continue. They had just reached the tavern, giving her an excuse to cut off the conversation.

The tavern's wooden door slammed behind them. It was a lot lighter then it looked so that happened a lot.

The first two hours of Ayana's shift were busy, providing a welcome distraction from the visions she'd had lately. She'd had a talent for divination since her early days of school, being able to see not just the myriad possibilities but the little details that one could use to steer their futures toward the desired path. After a couple more years honing her craft, she'd have her official Seer license and make a living guiding other people's futures.

She was bringing a platter of food to a large table when the familiar headaches started. Her hands were shaking as she handed out the dishes as quickly as possible before retreating to the bathroom. She had just made it when the world went black.

First, his screams. Then the cry of the Rogue Griffin. Generations of his family had worked to tame the beasts, but sometimes one would channel their wild roots and attack a human. She opened her eyes knowing exactly what she would see. His navy blue shirt, stained with blood. She ran to him, squeezing his hand as she struggled to recall even a simple healing spell. She'd barely passed those classes years ago. She looked around, hoping that someone would be around to help them, anyone. She could call the Healing Mage Service, but it would probably be too late.

"Oh Calvin, I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry..." she whispered...

A bag of ice on her head brought her back to the bathroom stall. Easiest way to snap a Seer out of a bad vision. Leonora's dark eyes stared back at her.

"You okay, Ayana? Seems like you had quite a vision there."

Ayana took a few deep breaths before answering. "Lee, this is what I was talking about. I just saw Calvin die. Again."

"What? You haven't told me about those visions."

"Well, there have been some good ones..." She smiled as she thought of the one where she was walking through a garden with him, hand in hand. "But I've been having too many of the bad ones lately. Sometimes it's a Rogue Griffin, sometimes lightning, sometimes I'm with him and his heart just...stops. And I can't save him. Other times it's you, or his mother, and sometimes it's not a death it's just someone loses their job or gets kicked out of school. I just..." Ayana looked at the floor.

"So that's why you're avoiding him?" Lee asked. Ayana nodded. "That's ridiculous, Ayana. You know that none of those visions are set in stone--that's Divination 101. And what if the risk is worth seeing him again? At least to find out if you guys have a future for real." She gave Ayana a playful nudge and smiled at her. Ayana just looked the other way.

"Come on, cheer up." Leonora said.

Ayana forced a smiled before escaping to work.

---

It was only a few days after her conversation with Leonora when he walked in. She was cleaning tables after the lunch rush when she heard him talking to her boss. She tried not to listen to what they where saying.

"You know that guy?" The hostess asked her after seating him. "He requested one of your tables."

Ayana dropped her washcloth. "No, you can't...you have to move him."

"Okay, okay, don't freak out on me, Ayana. I'll move him." Ayana thanked her and picked up her cloth from the floor. She got a fresh one and continued cleaning. However, only a few minutes went by before a hand tapped her on the shoulder.

"Thought you could avoid me forever, huh?" His voice sounded so familiar, and yet so much steadier somehow. The voice brought back another vision, this time from the past. He had been helping her with Alchemy homework, as he had for years, when she looked at him and noticed his jawline, his blue eyes, even his scent, and she knew he wasn't a boy anymore. Back then, she wanted nothing more than to get closer, but now she couldn't. 

Ayana turned around, struggling to find the right words to say. "Calvin! I'm so sorry about your grandmother." Even as she said it, she cursed herself for sounding so generic.

"You know, I kind of figured you would come to the funeral. What's going on, Ayana? Are you avoiding me?" He looked really good in that navy blue shirt. Just like right before he gets attacked by the Rogue Griffin. Her heart began to beat faster.

"Calvin, I'm sorry but I can't be around you. I just can't." Ayana started to walk away, but Calvin stopped her again.

"Come on, Ayana. You really think after years of being friends, I'd accept that? I know I could have ended things differently, but you have to let me talk to you." His eyes seemed to stare straight down into the shadowy places of her soul, just like they had when she asked him to dance at the Winter Formal in their last year of basic schooling. But just as friends, not getting too close, staying a safe distance apart. Now she needed to stay even further away. 

"It's not that, Calvin. It's just...it's hard to explain. Now I have to get back to work, okay?" This time he let her get back to her tables.

Calvin was waiting just outside the tavern at the end of her shift, his scruffy mahogany hair being battered about by the wind.

She tried to just walk past him, pretending not to notice him, but he caught her by the elbow.

"Ayana, please. Just let me take you out to lunch, okay? I'd love to hear how divination school is going."

How much harm could one meal do? A lot, if she remembered their last lunch together before he went off to vet school correctly. She'd finally decided to tell him how she felt, even though she'd never seen anything about it--not something she usually did. He'd said she was so beautiful, but he couldn't risk hurting her in a long distance relationship. He'd called after that, apologized, and they tried to stay in touch. However, as time went on, they slipped into their new adult worlds and talked less and less. But he was here now, for who knows how long. And no one said lunch had to mean a relationship. 

"Fine. I'm free Friday. Meet me here at 12. Oh, and don't wear navy."

---

Ayana was waiting outside the tavern fifteen minutes early. There was a slight breeze, the cool air biting at the back of her neck. Spring had always been her favorite season, but it was hard to enjoy with this burden resting on her shoulder.

"Hey Aya!" Leonora called from down the street. Her heels clicked on the sidewalk as she jogged up.

"Hey, thanks for coming." Ayana said, forcing a smile.

"Sure thing, but don't you think it's a little weird? Me just dropping in on a date like this?" Leonora said, standing next to her.

"No, this isn't a date, just a meeting between friends. I"m sure he'd love to see you again."

"I barely knew him. The only time I ever saw him was when you invited us to the same events."

"But still..." Ayana blushed "I don't know if I can do this without some support."

Leonora gave her a playful punch. "You'll do fine."

"That's not what I'm worried about! What if another sign shows up?"

"You just worry to much." Leonora said "Look here he comes! What's he wearing?"

Sure enough Calvin was coming down the street from the opposite direction. He was wearing a loud pink shirt paired with jeans. Ayana couldn't help but laugh.

They'd first become friends right after Calvin had moved to Arema. Originally he was from a smaller nation with a name she couldn't even remember, much less pronounce. Once he'd moved her she'd gotten a kick out of making up stupid traditions and watching him embarrass himself. One of which was that it was custom to always wear a color that starts with the same letter as the day of the week. The only "F" color he could think of was fuschia. So for the first three months in his new school he wore pink every single Friday until one of his friends had the guts to ask him why. It was by far one of the funniest conversations she'd ever witnessed.

"Hey Ayana!" He beamed, the turned to Leonora "It's Leeanne, right?"

"Nope!" She teased

"Lyn?"

"Still, no, first guess was closer"

"Leah?"

"Guh, it's Leonora. Just Lee's fine though."

"Oh, okay, sorry about that" His blush was made considerably worse by his shirt and the touch of red in his hair. "Let's go get something to eat. There's this cool Mylonan restaurant around the corner. Wanna go there?"

"Sure" Leonora said. Ayana just nodded and started walking. She'd just eaten there a week before, but it didn't really matter.

The walk there was quiet. Leonora would occasionally prod Ayana, but she just couldn't think of anything to say. Calvin seemed deep in thought. She'd never known his grandmother very well, but she knew how much she'd meant to Calvin. She had so many stories of their homeland, where the griffins she'd devoted her life to came from. Her devotion to the beasts inspired Calvin to become a veterinarian for magical creatures. It must have been hard for her to leave her life behind and come here with Calvin and his parents.

On the outside the restaurant didn't really stand out. It was a dull gray building with two medium sized windows on either side of a brown door. "Dido's Mylonan Cuisine" was written in scrawling script above the door. Not the most creative name, but it relayed the important information.

They ate lunch and chatted for a while, mostly small talk about school. Ayana looked around the tiny restaurant for a while. She'd seen this place, even before she'd eaten there last week. The brown paneling, the old-fashioned green tiles, the wilting daisies in the blue pot on the counter top, the overwhelming spiciness of Mylonan food. She tried desperately to remember where these flickers of visions came from, whether there was happiness or tragedy at the end of this scene, but all the fragments stayed mixed in her head. Focusing visions was the most difficult part of being a Seer, even for someone with a natural talent for it like herself.

"Well, I'm going to go study for that palm reading test on Friday. See you guys later." Leonora winked at Ayana and headed toward the door. Ayana scowled and stopped her.

"Are you insane, Lee? You promised you'd stay with me. All the signs are here, but I can't tell how this is going to end."

"Not even the greatest Seers who have ever lived could tell you the whole future. Too many possibilities. You know that, Aya. I don't think it's just your visions you're afraid of."

"Wow, Lee, you almost sounded wise there." Ayana laughed.

"I'm serious. Don't lose him this time." Leonora whispered before walking away.

Ayana slowly returned to the table. She forced a smile.

"You haven't said much." Calvin said between bites "Well, that is other than stuff about the weather, school, and food. How have you been?"

"I've been fine." Ayana said, suddenly very interested in a painting. It was a landscape next to the see. The beach was a stark yellow, with tall trees that had huge leaves at the top. The ocean reflected the purples and oranges of the sunset. She didn't know where it was a painting of, but obviously not anywhere around here. Had she seen it in her visions? 

"What's that supposed to mean?" He reached across the table and poked her.

"I just have a lot of things on my mind." Ayana said. "Outside of that it's all good."

"It's a vision, isn't it?" He looked her directly in the eyes, missed his bowl and planted his spoon on the blue table cloth. He quickly slipped into his bowl, hoping Ayana hand't noticed. She always noticed.

She glanced away from him. She knew he could read her face anyway, but she couldn't bring herself to actually say yes.

"What happened?" He reached his hand across the table and placed it on top of hers.

"There are a lot" She said. "If anything happens between us something terrible happens."

He giggled at her, but his eyes said he was serious. Those light blue eyes that reflected the light, in which all his past experiences played. Those eyes were never just a window to his soul, they'd always been a reflection of her own too. If she'd been gifted in art instead of seeing that would've been her life's work, capturing those eyes in a painting.

"You know that you can't control the future." He squeezed her hand. "Even if I never see you again, you don't know that those things won't happen."

"Then what do you expect me to do!" Her voice grew louder with each word, her hands began to shake. She was scared, so, so scared.

Calvin waited a second for her relax. "I don't think these visions are so that you can change the future. I think they're there to give us a chance to prove how much we love something. That the possible consequences are really worth what we have right now."

She stood up, looking directly into his eyes. Was he ready to accept his own death, simply to be with her? He didn't know that. He couldn't know that. What if it was Leonora? What if it was her?

"I need to go." Ayana wispered, pulling her hand from his. She walked calmly out of the restaurant. Calvin stood to watch her go. Once she was outside she ran.

---

The gray clouds should've dampened the day, but through the holes the sun's rays could be seen. It really was amazing, how much more beautiful they where when surrounded by gray.

Ayana walked solemnly toward Calvin's childhood home. She didn't know where he was staying. She hadn't bothered to ask. Even if he wasn't there his parents would tell her where he was.

On Friday it had been cold enough for her to wear her favorite blouse, a blue one with short sleeves. Today, only two days later, she was wearing her coat again. Chances were in a few more days she'd be wearing shorts. That's how it was here though, the heat refused to stick until summer when it turned to a heat that would send her sensitive little brother inside for fear of overexertion. She needed to visit him, it'd been a while.

His house was rather small, but it was well built, and that's what really matters. Ayana knew from experience what it was like to live in a drafty house in the middle of winter.

She knocked. He was wearing that blue shirt. Why does he like that stupid blue shirt so much? He leaned against the doorframe. She let out her breath with a slight quaver.

"What's up?" He asked.

His smile was lopsided. In some ways Ayana had always known, but she'd never really noticed before. He smiled with his eyes too, though.

"Do you want to, um..." She hadn't thought that far ahead.

"Go for a walk?" He finished for her.

She gave a weak laugh. "Yeah, that"

He closed the door and hopped down the front steps. When he looked over his shoulder at her his hair swished across his forehead. It was so bouncy.

She followed him. She had thought he meant to walk down the road toward town, but he turned and went around the house. Behind the house was the edge of a small forest.

Ayana brushed her hair behind her ear. She jogged a few paces to catch up with him, dislodging her hair. She retucked it.

The sun peaked out from the clouds just long enough to shine through the first spring leaves. She stopped dead in her tracks. Which vision was that? Was it the one where Calvin died or the griffin? Or maybe it was the one where her dad lost his job...

"Are you okay?" Calvin asked.

Ayana nodded. She couldn't make herself walk. She couldn't wish that fate on someone else just because she loved him.

He walked over and put his arms around her. "It's okay"

She sank into his embrace, shaking. "No, no it's not."

"Ayana, this isn't your job." He pulled back far enough to look her in the eyes.

She tried to tell him that yes, it was, but she couldn't make the words come out. She just stood there, looking into those blue eyes.

"I remember, right before I left for school, you told me about when you first started seeing." He pulled her in tightly again. "Your favorite teacher, what was her name, Miss Shaburn, she told you that a seer's job is to make sure that every moment is treasured." He ran his hand up and down her back. She could feel her fear beginning to ebb away.

"Things will happen as they happen. I like to believe that everything has a reason." He stroked her hair. "Seeing something terrible doesn't mean you need to prevent it, it means you need to make sure every moment leading up to it is lived out fully."

They stood there for a moment. Or maybe it was eternity.

"Thank you." she whispered. They pulled apart, their hands still linked.

They walked through the woods together, holding hands. Afterwards Ayana would never be able to remember much about that walk, not in any detail. The scent of pine needles would bring her back to the comfortable silence they shared. The wind wrapping around their hands, but never slipping between, would always remind her of that embrace. Even once they were old, with grandchildren running to and fro, she would find joy in those beautiful blue eyes.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:29 am
niteowl says...

Hey! Not a review obviously, but just a ping to let you know I made some changes. I might look at it again tomorrow too. :D

Sins wrote a review...

Wasssuuup! I feel like I've taken ages to get to this, even though you only asked me to review it on Friday... It's weird, man.

I'll start off by saying how intrigued I am by this world, alongside Ayana's abilities. The idea of seers is really fascinating, and I'm kind of hoping you guys write more of this so that we can really delve into the world. As a novel fanatic, I love getting into all the details and what not, so I may just be needy. The ending was super sweet, too. I'm not usually so keen on the and they lived happily ever after with some dogs and grandchildren and a nice big house thing, due to the fact my heart froze, like, 15 years ago. I liked it here though. It just seemed right, y'know? I like how everything wasn't uber serious all the time either; Calvin's character was quite amusing and funny at times, so it balanced things out nicely. In regards to the technical side of this (grammar, flow, pace, blah blah blah), I don't have nay complaints. Overall a really nice job!

Now, critiques :P

I'll start with a nit-picky thing, You know when Ayana had her vision? I wanted it to be more intense, dramatic e.t.c. Especially as she passes out after having one, it seems like something that would be quite dramatic, y'know? I really want to feel what she's feeling before (and during) the vision, to really empathise with her and think to myself geez, this is kind of freaky. A good way of doing that is upping the tension, and an almost perfect way to do so is to throw in some shorter sentences. I'm a huge fan of structure change and pace altering in order to create tension, and shorter sentences do just that. So yus, when Ayana has her vision, it would be cool for you to up the tension a bit more.

On a similar, technical side of things, you have a tendency to write chunks of dialogue without much (if any narrative) in-between, and vice versa. This is a bit of a personal taste thing, so add a pinch of salt to this critique, but I'd suggest you spread things out a bit with that. Show us Ayana (and everyone else's for that matter) reactions to the things her friends are saying. Have her ponder these things, have her dwell on Calvin's boldness in regards to her warnings. Does she think he's insane? Is he pleading for him to just listen to her? You do explore this, don't get me wrong, but it's all reflected upon once the conversation is completely over, as opposed to during it. Err, does that make sense? Integrating dialogue and narrative creates a smoother, more realistic flow, and it's something I think could make this even better.

Partly because of my critique above, I sometimes don't really sympathise or empathise with Ayana. I want to see inside her head more, get a stronger feel for her emotions. As of now, she is a little static. Like I said, it's probably partly due to my previous critique because when the structure of something is a little awkward, it affects things like realism. If realism is an issue, that further impacts the ability toe empathise with your characters because they don't seem so much like real people, and more like characters. I've no idea if that makes sense... Basically, I just want to see what's going on inside Ayana's head a bit more. Really delve into her feelings and thoughts. You do this, of course, but I want more.

I think part of this lack of empathy, so to speak, is that we know barely anything about her and Calvin's relationship. You tell us they were close, and the t-shirt thing you mention was awesome, but I want more of that. Don't just tell us how close they are, show us (like with the t-shirt thing). Little stories like that really help create that connection, and it makes us really want everything to work out between Calvin and Ayana. While I want things to be okay for them, I don't really want it enough. If Calvin had died at the end of this, for example, while it would've been pretty gutting, I wouldn't have been distraught, y'know? Because I don't feel like I know their relationship well enough, whether it be the relationship they once had, or the one they have now. Just don't be afraid to really jump into things when it comes to all the emotional stuff.

One more tiny thing! Ayana stormed out (sort of) of the restaurant during their initial meeting, so what was her motivation to knock on his house door and meet him again? She seemed pretty adamant to avoid him in the past, so what caused this change of heart? This is an example of where we need to see inside her head a little more because right now, I can't quite figure out her motives. Obviously she loves him, and the idea is that she simply can't stay away, but I want to see her thought processes. It's not a huge deal, but something that bugged me a little towards the end of this.

And that's about it! I apologise if this review has seemed aggressive, I feel like I sound aggressive. This was a really nice read, and as I noted at the beginning of the review, I'm dying to find out more about this world. We don't need to know more because this story works just fine with what we have, but I'm a nosey little swine. Everything flowed nicely, the pace was great, and if you really delve into your characters thoughts and feelings, this could truly be pretty awesome. If you've got any questions or comments regarding this review, please do let me know! :)

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins

WritingWolf says...

Thanks for the review! This was really helpful. :)

niteowl says...

Thanks for the review! You can see the revised version here: The Seer and the Griffin Tamer

RubyRed wrote a review...

Oh my goodness! This was so sad, sweet, and amazing! I really, really loved it. I think this is one of the best short stories I've read. But before I go on and on about how I adored it, cause that will get very boring, let me get on with the review.

Beginning: Ayana's visions were well explained and Leonora is talked about well enough but you didn't say anything about what they looked like except that Leonora has long enough hair to throw over her shoulder. Anyway, time for dialog.

Comma after class instead of a period.

"Haven't you heard? Your old boyfriend's going to stick around for a while. Just like you said."

This sentence doesn't explain what Ayana asked before which was: "What do you mean?"
It's like Leonora just ignored her question. If you still want to have Leonora bring up Ayana's boyfriend then you need to start with that instead of why she's the best seer.

First, she smelled the fire, then heard the cry of the Rogue Griffin. Generations of his family had worked to tame the beasts, but sometimes one would channel their wild roots and attack a human. She opened her eyes knowing exactly what she would see. His blood was staining his navy blue shirt as the creature flew away. She ran to him, squeezing his hand as she struggled to recall even a simple healing spell. She'd barely passed those classes years ago. She looked around, hoping that someone would be around to help them, anyone. She could call the Healing Mage Service, but it would probably be too late.

The way you put this in italics is you go to edit then you select all this and click the italics button. Also, comma after the first "so".

A bag of ice on her head brought her back to the bathroom stall.

Okay, I get what you're saying here but the first few times I read it, it didn't make sense because she's already in the bathroom stall. It would be better if you said, "...brought her back to reality." or something like that.

Again, you go back to edit then you select the sentence and click the italics button.

"Come on, cheer up." Leonora said.

Comma after "up" instead of the period.

Middle: The relationship with Ayana and Calvin is a bit fast. At first she's really avoiding him then all the sudden she opens up and decides to go to lunch with him. You said she had millions of visions so wouldn't it be very likely that she's had one at the lunch place? Also I don't understand why went Leonora leaves them together and they converse that he doesn't hear but they're saying unless, he's just really engrossed in his food. He also seems to dive into things a little too much like touching her when she's scared and everything. It would make her more frightened because she's already scared and then someone starts touching her. I guess he's got a very calming touch though.

There's a lot of dialog which isn't properly set up but if I do them all then this review will be a pain to read so, I'm not going to.

End: The forest! Awwww, she finally decides to see him and then she follows him into the woods. It was fine till Ayana brought up the visions again. She's just very protective. Maybe when he comforts her you could have him tell her that he's there to protect her not the other way around. Makes it more romantic. The ending wasn't satisfying. I feel like if you ended it with saying they held each other or something like that then it would be perfecto.

Well, that's it for my review. I hope it wasn't too long. I really, really, loved it and I wish you were making more to the story but since it's a short and you wrote it with someone else that be hard. Anyway, Ayana was completely adorable, Calvin was a hero, and Leonora was a great friend! Keep writing and never get discouraged!

~Keepwriting

WritingWolf says...

This was actually helpful in a lot more ways then you probably realize. (for example one of your comments makes it sound like it isn't very clear what Calvin and Ayana's friendship was like before he left. They had been really close)

About the italics thing this is written for a contest so we just wrote it with the coding to post it in the forums, and I forgot to switch it when we decided to post it here for. I'll edit it out so that other readers aren't bothered by it. lol

Thanks for the help.

RubyRed says...

You're very welcome. Keep up the good work! (:

Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
— Brené Brown