z

Young Writers Society



Light in the Clouds (half story, half poem)

by Writersdomain


Light in the Clouds

Anger, hurt, hatred, pain

Bitterness, vengeance, mocking rain

Sorrow, betrayal, pitiless tears

And now with this love I begin to fear

Through the thunder and rain can you hear my cries?

O rescue me now from man’s terrible lies!

Rintide watched the smoke curling up from the near distance, the smoke seemingly entranced in its star-struck waltz across the potentially serene sunset. Rintide's glittering eyes narrowed in a last attempt to withhold bitter tears. Gone, it was all gone, her family, her homeland, all remnants of her old life. She would never again behold the magnificent trees with their idyllic bodies and forlorn leaves. She would never know if her father had changed his mind about her after her exile.

“Rintide!” cried Alrioth behind her and he sprinted after her. Gasping to catch his breath, Alrioth smiled sheepishly as he halted to see her staring dejectedly at the derisive smoke, mocking her with its every coil into the clouded sky. His smile, the crooning smile that said everything was going to be alright, fell as he placed an arm around her shoulders and watched a solitary tear seep from her eye, gleaming in the faint light of evening as it weaved its intricate path down her pale cheek.

In a flawless world

That I shall never know

I would never be forced

To brave this life alone

Rintide turned away from him, tensing as she willed her shoulders not to shake through bitter sobs.

Alrioth grasped her arm and turned her to face him. “Rintide, don’t turn away. Please speak with me.” His eyes begged her, pleaded with her to share her pain, allow him to bear her burden for the pain in her eyes tore at his heart.

“Alrioth…” croaked Rintide as she stood there for a moment, staring hollowly at him. Her face contorting with grief, she buried her head in his shoulder, pounding her fists against his chest, a hurting desperation surmounting her self-control.

“I can’t do this, Alrioth. They’re gone, all gone. I have nothing left but my own pitiful self. I cannot suffer this storm; I cannot stand amid this tempest. Who am I that I now fear that I am frightened?” She wept, stilling her fists in an effort to conceal her tear-streaked face and glistening, gold-silver eyes.

Alrioth gazed down at her, a chaste sympathy pooling behind his ivory eyes. He enveloped his friend in his comforting arms and stroked her long, brown hair as if she were a child, too afraid to face the night. “Do not shame your tears, Rintide. Even you must sometimes confide in others.”

When I fear the night

Find myself alone

Someone would always know

I cannot stand on my own

“I am here…” Alrioth whispered, “There is no need to be afraid.”

She whimpered, “Don’t leave me.”

“Never.”

“Or I think my heart shall break again.”

He smiled, “Don’t flee from me.”

“I shall not.”

“Or I’ll have to chase you down again.”

Rintide lifted her head from his shoulder and looked up into his eyes, something inside of her trembling.

Tears borne of sorrow

Tears borne of joy

You’re the first to see past

This fatal ploy

“I am sick of pretending everything is alright. I’m sick of pretending I’m invincible. I can’t do this on my own, Alrioth. I’m tired of pretending I can. No one’s ever been there; there’s never been anywhere to turn. And now when I must, it is painful to admit that I… that I.” Rintide whispered until her voice broke with a fearful trepidation

Alrioth gripped her shoulders and shook her, his eyes widening with fervor. “Then stop pretending, Rintide, stop pretending you’re someone you’re not!”

“What if I fall?” she whimpered.

“I will pull you back up again.”

“What if I break?” she croaked.

“I will bind your wounds.”

“What if I drown, Alrioth?”

He smiled, “You can’t; I’m still holding your hand.”

And now it rains

Tears left unshed

I am frightened for I see

Darker clouds ahead

“The sun is concealed by the treacherous clouds. It seems such trials shall never fade.” Rintide whispered, drawing a ragged breath and gnawing on her lower lip. “Alrioth, how long before the sun shines again?”

“There are always breaches in the darkest cloud and that is when the sun shines the brightest, to give you just enough hope, just enough light to barely endure the darkest night. Sometimes you have to walk in the dark, Rintide, sometimes you cannot see the way, but nevertheless, you have to follow it.” Alrioth smiled at the remorseful look on Rintide’s face, “But you don’t have to walk alone.”

A ghost of a smile played upon Rintide’s face and Alrioth watched a miracle at work as the corners of her mouth lifted into a grateful, wholehearted smile. It was the first time he had ever seen a smile light her face, vanquishing from existence the grim shadows that had lurked behind her expression for far too long. Rintide laid her head against his chest.

“Why, isn't this a miraculous day! I got you to smile at me!" Alrioth teased and he chuckled.

Rintide laughed softly, lightly. He had never heard such a jovial sound escape her lips, “Knowing you, I don't think it will be the last,” she sighed.

On every night, there is a moon

Behind every cloud, the sun does loom

In every shadow, compassion may gleam

Past every blindfold, lie innocent dreams

Beneath a crushed soul, hope flickers weakly

Hidden in a broken heart, longing speaks meekly

Within every eye, a single tear cries

Embedded in every gentle heart

See the countenance of a hero arise

~

half poem, half story... a little strange

I had to write a piece for this writing club and this is what came.

Suggestions would be welcomed


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
182 Reviews


Points: 1050
Reviews: 182

Donate
Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:24 am
Chandni wrote a review...



Hey nice work first I like the short poemzies in the story but i'll have too agree with blackgroundbob. The story well... I never read the fiction section i'm not a huge fan of fiction cuz i'm too lazy too keep on reading LOL but this kept me reading and that's what counts..
You kept the reader reading That's great !

the story is very intresting..
and I like the names !
And the story sounds very knightish I love it nice work !!

When I fear the night
Find myself alone
Someone would always know
I cannot stand on my own

“I am here…” Alrioth whispered, “There is no need to be afraid.”

She whimpered, “Don’t leave me.”

“Never.”

“Or I think my heart shall break again.”

He smiled, “Don’t flee from me.”

“I shall not.”

“Or I’ll have to chase you down again.”

Rintide lifted her head from his shoulder and looked up into his eyes, something inside of her trembling.


My fav part !
and the title is not cheesy at all it just keeps you reading :wink:




User avatar
196 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 196

Donate
Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:27 am
Shriek wrote a review...



Hey, Stev! Glad to see you're still alive and well (and writing some pretty good stuff while you're at it).
I liked this a lot, and I think it is the best piece I've read of yours thus far. Beautifully written descriptions and dialogue--I really felt the power of this piece through the close relationship of the two characters. I only wish I knew what had happened to Rintide's family...

I have a few suggestions:

Rintide watched the smoke curling up from the near distance, entranced in its star-struck waltz across the potentially serene sunset, her glittering eyes narrowing in a last attempt to withhold bitter tears.

The first sentence of your prose was, ironically, the hardest for me to read and comprehend. I would suggest breaking this up because it is quite a bit to process--and you don't want to scare your reader away.

Rintide turned away from him, tensing as she willed her shoulders not to shake in her bitter sobs.

This reads awkwardly--taking out the "her" in "her bitter sobs" could help that a bit. And maybe replace the "in" with "through"?

I agree with Bob on the "telling the others" bit, although I did like the way it closed the story.

My favorite part of the story was this dialogue:
“What if I fall?” she whimpered.

“I will pull you back up again.”

“What if I break?” she croaked.

“I will bind your wounds.”

“What if I drown, Alrioth?”

He smiled, “You can’t; I’m still holding your hand.”

I loved that. It's very sweet, but done in a way that's not cliche.

Nice job. I'm glad to see you're posting stuff again. : )




User avatar
266 Reviews


Points: 1726
Reviews: 266

Donate
Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:07 pm
backgroundbob wrote a review...



Hmm, interesting.

First, on your poetry - it fits the story well, but I think you need to work on your line length a bit in places. Read it out loud to yourself: the fourth line in the first poem is one such example, where you have one too many syllables in an otherwise excellent poem. Just look for those places in your poetry, because I think your words capture the mood exactly right.

The prose section, interesting again; my first thought was that is was a fantasy novel, or at least set in medieval times. I think this is just something I drew from the language (very formal) and the fact that she's been exiled. If you didn't mean it that way, that could be a problem :)

The only discrepancy I noted was right at the end; when Alrioth talks about "telling the others" that seemed out of place, probably because she's just been going on about being so alone. I would cut out that reference; leave the two of them as the only mentioned characters, and everything else can be down to the reader's imagination.

I'm not a huge fan of this style of writing as a whole, but I thought this was well worth the read; good work.





Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.
— Leonardo da Vinci