z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

I Tried

by Wonder


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

I tried honey, I swear I really did;
but you just kept giving me shit.
I’m sorry honey, I swear I really am,
but you just didn’t give a damn.
And now I’m cold and left alone,
A child in body but in my heart fully grown.
They say I’m too young, that I don’t know love;
but they haven’t heard my prayers to up above.
My face is young, smiling and bright,
But my soul is old, no hope in sight.
Because of you I’m just nothing on a shelf,
Now forever a shell of my former self.
I don’t know how I could be so blind, but now I see:
You just weren’t right for me.
I swear, I really did try,

But the truth cannot lie.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 285
Reviews: 6

Donate
Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:26 pm
Celjiii wrote a review...



The whole poem generated one word - honesty. You could clearly understand that there was this sense of truth in every word written. In my mind, an image of a stained innocence in the darkness trying to see the light is clearly painted. Another thing, I also see hope of moving on in the poem. Just sheer honesty.

Love,
CELJiii




Wonder says...


Thank you so much CELJiii! :D



User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 82
Reviews: 53

Donate
Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:07 am
Killyouwithwords wrote a review...



While I liked the subject of the poem, and the honest truth of it's simplicity, it had a few flaws. Maybe it's only me, but I couldn't grasp how the first line fit with the rest of the poem. 'I tried, honey, I really did', makes it sound as if you left them damaged...like they're the ones that were hurt. You act angry and hurt in some parts, but with that one line coming back again it's as if it's somehow your fault. Also that one line: 'But they haven't heard my prayers from up above', is kind of choppy. While meaningful, it doesn't go with your previous "language", and briefly changes subjects. I almost feel rude saying anything about either of these lines because no one else commented on them, and I'm horrible at understanding poetry or symbolism; but the rest of the poem is absolutely beautiful and, in the end, all I can really take from this piece is that you should keep writing because very few people have your talent...and that coupled with persistence and hard work is all all anyone really needs to get to where they want to be :)




Wonder says...


The first line is supposed to mean that the girl (or guy...not really sure if it works for a guy's perspective, as I am not one) tried to believe that her boyfriend was right for her, but in the end, the truth cannot lie.

I was stuck on that one line, after 'Ey say I'm too young, that I don't know love,' so my friend helped me. She writes songs, so I decided to take her advice and write, 'But they haven't heard my prayers to up above'. But I think it would work better in an actual song than a poem...



User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 1714
Reviews: 34

Donate
Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:44 am
RedApril29th wrote a review...



Oh my gosh! Hello there, Wonder! This is RedApril29th, reviewing you.
10/10.
This hits home so hard! A guy I had dated was everything for me. He treated me like a princess, he was so perfect. I had my rose colored goggles on, I couldn't see any imperfections in this beautiful boy. Rumors went around, he was accused of giving another girl a hicky while dating me. I confronted him about it. He said he didn't. I believed him and was willing to fight the girl.
Then, more came. We were taking a break while I got settled into my new home. We planned to get back together very soon, we'd been talking about it. Then he went and got a blow from my bestfriend, and TOLD me. I figured, okay, he had the balls to tell me. It was her fault.
He swore never to do it again. Yet, a couple weeks later, he had sex with her, got head from another one of my friends, and from some girl that knew the two of them. My bestfriend was the one who told me, because I asked her and she wasn't going to lie anymore. I confronted him again. He said he didn't do any of that. Me being the detective I am, went and asked each of the girls, and even told him I was going to. He told me to go ahead. They all responded, admitting it! I was so heart-broken. I tried so hard to believe he was perfect, tried so hard to be what he wanted. Then he sits there and told me he loves me, that I wasn't like those hoes. As you said, the truth cannot lie. If I was all he wanted, he wouldn't have done that with them!
This poem is so close to home, I just can't believe how wonderful it is. Had me a bit sad. You have a lot of talent and I hope to see more of your work!

Sincerely,
RedApril29th




Wonder says...


Aww! :( That's horrible! My friend is going through the same thing right now, and I'm trying to tell her that this guy is just hurting her -- she cut because of him. I wrote this while talking to that very same friend about her boyfriend problems, so I guess in a way her emotion has leaked into my words.

Thank you so much Red,
Wonder <3



User avatar
213 Reviews


Points: 150
Reviews: 213

Donate
Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:35 am
dark wrote a review...



Wow, a realistic and deep and emotional poem you have here. Truly magnificent. :D
The poem itself has a really nice ryhme scheme. It's steady and it goes well with the theme of the poem, sadness. The person is obviously belittled for being so young. You make that clearing the verse,
"They say I'm too young and I don't know love."
I think it's real that you implemented. Unlike others, I think the poem it's something that an imagination can process. No special detail or description of this deep dark poem is needed. It fine and perfect the way it is right now. It needs no changes. I for one love the eerie, dark, and malevolent feel of the poem. Keep it. It's quite beatiful.




Wonder says...


Thank you Dark! :)



User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 354
Reviews: 36

Donate
Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:14 pm
LosPresidentes wrote a review...



Well as stated previously, language.
But this is very, very, dark.
Also very direct, and doesn't leave the reader with anything to grasp for or imagine. =/
I'm not trying to be harsh, it is a very heartfelt, and full of emotion, however the context leaves a lot to be desired. True it is hard to use symbolism to describe emotion, this isn't the path I had in mind when stating this, I'm saying.. Be less direct, and lead the reader on.

now for my favorite parts.

I’m sorry honey, I swear I really am,
but you just didn’t give a damn.
And now I’m cold and left alone,
A child in body but in my heart fully grown.

these are my favorite lines.



Because of you I’m just nothing on a shelf,
Now forever a shell of my former self.

this part here seems forced to fit in with the scheme of it.
for what is it, to be nothing on a shelf? A space maybe? a void? Or is it less objective and more subjective?


All in all, keep writing, it has strong points and low ones, as all poetry does.

Los~




Wonder says...


Thanks for the review! ^-^



User avatar
184 Reviews


Points: 5211
Reviews: 184

Donate
Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:56 pm
View Likes
veeren says...



Perhaps a rating for language? ;)




Wonder says...


There was one....oh my God I absolutely HATE super slow computers. D:



Wonder says...


The computer wasn't working, so...yeah.



User avatar
89 Reviews


Points: 797
Reviews: 89

Donate
Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:33 pm
ANADIR wrote a review...



o.o I dont really know how i can compliment this. As Blackwood said, your rhyming is pretty much perfect. You should probably put the break lines in, since without them it makes the poem look like a book paragraph. The poem itself is majestic. I would normally say beautiful, but it feels a little sad...

But seriously, if you were to collect thirty or forty poems like this one, and put them together in a book, you could easily get published! In my opinion, writing poems is a little harder than a book since you have to make everything rhyme and the such. Another great work! :P




Wonder says...


Rhyming comes easy to me -- that's why I've been writing poetry and songs for quite a while now.

I'll edit the poem now so that it has line breaks in it.
Thanks for the review! :D

~Wonder



Wonder says...


Okay, edited it. :)



User avatar
332 Reviews


Points: 10657
Reviews: 332

Donate
Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:12 am
Blackwood wrote a review...



This rhyming is excellent. I was very impressed.
I am completely confused as if this is lyrics or a poem. Your category hasn't showed up properly.
Either way I feel like you need to put some line breaks in here. At the moment it works but it could be enhanced visually and spatially by lines. Something like this would be appropriate. Also in this example I fixed a couple of grammar and wording things.

I tried honey, I swear I really did;
but you just kept giving me shit.
I’m sorry honey, I swear I really am,
but you just didn’t give a damn.
And now I’m cold and left alone,
A child in body but in my heart fully grown.
They say I’m too young, that I don’t know love;
but they haven’t heard my prayers to up above.
My face is young, smiling and bright,
But my soul is old, no hope in sight.
Because of you I’m just nothing on a shelf,
Now forever a shell of my former self.
I don’t know how I could be so blind, but now I see:
You just weren’t right for me.
I swear, I really did try,
But the truth cannot lie.


Also you repeated the word 'young' quite closely together. You should give that another thought.
-also I changed full to fully in the example, I felt that was the only line that I had to pause on and reconsider when I was reading it.
Good job, I liked this because its rhythm was close to perfect.




Wonder says...


I know, I know, I'm sorry. >.< My computer decided to be all weird on me and not work.

I have a really bad habit of always capitalizing the first letter in each line. Sorry about that, and thanks for pointing that out. :)

I'll edit this all as soon as i get the chance to get onto my iPad, which works waaay better.

Anyways, thanks so much for the review! :)

~Wonder




Despite everything, it's still you.
— TobyFox