Siren Song

by WishIHadASword

(okay, so this is the start of a story I started writing like 2 years ago, so don't judge haha).

Foam-capped waves crept up the golden beach, and the sound of the ocean eased the minds of all the tourists packing up their beach umbrellas and sandy towels to head home for the night. It was peaceful—and seemingly the perfect place for a nice relaxing vacation.

But if someone . . . a more observant person, in particular . . . were to look towards the horizon where the sea touches the sky, they might find that something unusual was brewing beneath the surface of the calm.

Miles beneath the Pacific ocean, something was stirring. Or rather, many things.

They had been feared by the ancestors of the past. Forgotten by the people of the present. But surely, their kind would be unearthed by the generations of the future.

Suddenly a sharp, sucking sound came from far out into the sea. Strangely though, the deafening sound didn’t seem to reach the ears of the last straggling beachgoers. The water spiraled and shot downwards, making a freak whirlpool that all but touched the ocean floor.

Thousands of glowing eyes blinked open at once, staring at the strange movements of the water. It intrigued them. One by one the creatures formed a ring around the whirlpool and started chanting an ancient spell. Only moments later, a fissure started to form on the seafloor.

The ocean was awake. 

Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:38 am

First Impression: Well..this wasn't quite what I was expecting with that kind of title, but I will say I wasn't disappointed at all. This was a pretty neat little short story right here...and I certainly enjoyed it.

Ooooh...I do love this opening here...it just a perfect contrast there, we have a very relaxed sounding first paragraph of just people relaxing at the beach and everything just been calm and normal...giving off a sort of vacationy vibe there before...boom that second paragraph just inserts a healthy sense of paranoia into you and you now start to wonder what on Earth may happen to suddenly ruin the day of everyone here and cause mass chaos.

Oooh, that paragraph right there is a beautiful. I might just love the idea of timelines too much, but the way you mention the past being of fear, the present having forgotten and the future having to find out, its just creates a lovely sense of this world's history with these creatures that I assume are siren's judging by the title.

OOoh hoo....well here we go...this is a lovely little visual here, you get that slow build up of tension and then in one sudden motion we have this whirlpool erupt from the middle of the ocean and what appears to be some sort of summoning of ancient creatures appears to be going down here.

The ocean was awake.

Well...love the ending right there, certainly leaves you with the feeling that these poor people are not going to know what hit them at all when the full power of the ocean awakes. Its a lovely little climax there to end on, with all the seas hidden creatures doing some chanting and sort of bringing the sea to life.

Overall: Overall, a pretty solid story here. Its got itself a simple plot that it manages to execute fairly well and overall, its just a fun little thing to read. :D

Hi WishIHadASword,

As you wrote, this is the beginning of a story you started. My first question here is whether you have continued writing and / or whether you want to publish it here.

The structure starts, I found it a very successful beginning and you create a really excellent touch of story in the way you start the narrative. You have put a lot of effort into choosing a writing style to tell the story in a neutral point of view and have developed it to the point where you have written a very great introduction/prologue with it.

I really like how you start with it getting dark and you approach with indirect references to the humans and legends before describing the creatures and their home. I like how the voice up to that point feels like it's a documentary or the beginning of an expedition.

Since this beginning is reasonably short, I think it fits very well as a kind of prologue before you introduce the possibly relevant characters with the next chapter. I assume you don't want to keep this style of writing for the rest of the book. (That documentary voice again).

Other points I noticed:

Foam-capped waves crept up the golden beach, and the sound of the ocean eased the minds of all the tourists packing up their beach umbrellas and sandy towels to head home for the night.

Apart from this wonderful start, I would recommend you to split the beginning into two sentences at "of all the tourists". If you rewrite it a little bit there, you can build up more tension. You jump a little too quickly from the beautiful beaches to the people.

were to look towards the horizon where the sea touches the sky,

That's a beautiful description! I like it. It sounds poetic and yet simple.

Miles beneath the Pacific ocean,

I think Ocean is capitalised here because of the proper name Pacific Ocean.

They had been feared by the ancestors of the past. Forgotten by the people of the present.

Either remove the beginning and start with "Feared" to create a connection with the next sentence, or start the second sentence with "They were...". This creates an effective repetition.

The ocean was awake. 

Here it's just my opinion, but I would also capitalise Ocean here, as you are referring to the Pacific Ocean.

Mailice.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:53 am
starlitmind wrote a review...

Hey there, I'd love to leave you a short review on this piece! ^_^ I'll start with my impressions while reading and then end with my overall thoughts c:

"foam-capped waves" is such a neat phrase! I think it can sometimes be tricky to describe beaches / oceans in a unique way since they're so often used in literature, but I think you accomplished having a unique and beautiful description c: also, the use of the specific verb "crept" is super nice -> it's a much more vibrant verb, and it also makes it seem like the ocean is moving slowly, which adds to that calm feel and also contrasts with the latter half of this story. The only thing I'd say is maybe you could describe those comforting sounds? Perhaps the ways have a metronomic murmur? Maybe they sound like a lullaby? just some thoughts! ^_^

But if someone . . . a more observant person, in particular . . . were to look

This is just my opinion, so feel free to ignore me if you don't agree! c: I think dashes might work better than ellipsis, as ellipsis aren't usually used as modifiers like this. So you could do "but if someone - a more observant person, in particular - were to look" but again, it's completely up to you!

I believe you should capitalize "ocean" in "Pacific Ocean" c: I find it interesting that you refer to the sirens as "things" -> it almost portrays them in a negative way?

But surely, their kind would be unearthed by the generations of the future.

"unearthed" is a fun word to use, especially since this is about the ocean, and you used a word related to the opposite thing: land ^_^

Suddenly a sharp, sucking sound came from far out into the sea.

love the bit of alliteration here c:

Thousands of glowing eyes blinked open at once, staring at the strange movements of the water. It intrigued them. One by one the creatures formed a ring around the whirlpool and started chanting an ancient spell.

This may be a me problem, but are the "thousands of glowing eyes" belonging to the beachgoers or the sirens? The two seem to be blended together here, but again, that could be just a me problem :)

The ocean was awake.

Ah, I love this ending! It's a nice contrast from the sweet, calm feeling from before. I really like how in the middle, there's a shift in the tone, and suddenly the ocean is full of life and movement. I think the last sentence was the perfect one to sum it all up c:

I would love to see where this goes! ^_^ you mentioned it's part of a short story from awhile back; if you ever decided to go along with it, I'm sure it'll turn out lovely - I really enjoy your descriptive writing! ^_^

I hope this review proves useful to you, and I hope to read more from you soon :)

Thank you so much, I'll definitely take all that into consideration! You're so sweet!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:29 am
fantasies says...

hi, Imma just say that...this story is interesting! but, like another reader, it is too short.
besides that, I think this story is interesting. although you said you wrote this like two years ago, I like your writing style!
hope you have a good day. :)

Thank you! I hope you have a good day as well!

Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:49 am
NivedaJames22 wrote a review...

Hey!

I loved the opening paragraph. I really liked how you start with a beautiful seashore and finish up with a line that somehow conveys that danger lurks in the corner.

I really liked how you transition from a seemingly calm beach to a strange (maybe seismic?) event.

This line sounds really nice:

The water spiraled and shot downwards, making a freak whirlpool that all but touched the ocean floor.

On the whole, I'm intrigued by the plot that you have laid down. I can't wait to read the rest.

Keep writing.

Thank you so much! I tried my best (:

Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:21 am
IsProcrastinator wrote a review...

Hello, IsProcrastinator here for the review!

The opening paragraph establishes a vivid picture of the seaside, which pulled me right in. The descriptions portray a pleasant scene, but at the same time there is a foreboding sense of something scary is about to happen as soon as we move on to the next paragraph.

Ok, now I'm positively intrigued. What is happening down at the bottom of the ocean? The picture of thousands of glowing eyes in the water is terrifying though (I mean in a good way) ...deep seas are already pretty scary as is. You did a great job unfolding the suspense, bit by bit, rather than jumping right in. All in all, this was a captivating first chapter, and you keep the intrigue in the reader by leaving some questions unanswered. The last line sounds amazing!! My only complaint is that this is a bit too short.

So overall, I really liked it. I like the descriptions and how you establish your settings in a brief and concise way. Hoping to get to know more about the owners of those glowing eyes :)

Happy writing!

I'm so glad you like it, thank you for the wonderful review! If I do get a bit more inspiration, I will definitely make it longer!

“Though lovers be lost, love shall not; And death shall have no dominion.”
— Dylan Thomas