z

Young Writers Society



In Bohemia, #2

by Window


Scene 3.

Kazia's porch. Kazia and her parents are sitting at a table having coffee. Kazia stands to meet Vladek. He grasps Kazia's hand and begins to cover her arm up to the elbow in kisses.

Kazia: Well, who knows best how to love? Come, sit. Papa is ruminating about his decision to allow us to wed.

Pan Suslowski: Sense and duty compel me to say ‘no', but a father's heart has its rights - if it is a weakness, may God judge me for it!

Panni Suslowski: My children, should you ever in your life meet with misfortune, come, take refuge here - here!

Everyone sits at the table. Kazia pours Vladek some coffee. Throughout the rest of his time with the Suslowskis, of the scene, she keeps refilling his cup. After a while, Vladek stands and leaves, saying,

Vladek: My drawing student, Bobus, is sure to be waiting at the studio, and so I must bid you all farewell.

He walks off the porch and crosses the stage. The crowd parts and girls whisper: Magorski - Magorski - that is he! - Halfway across the stage, the landlord approaches Vladek and gives him a hug.

Landlord: My dear sir, you will believe that although I have bothered you at times, I would for you - ay, allow me, dear sir - do anything.

Vladek(walking away): What has gotten into these people? Why am I so suddenly a dear center of attention?

End of Scene.

Scene 4.

The studio/bedchamber of Vladek and Swiatetski. All of Vladek's painting friends, including Swiatetski, are throwing a willing Bobus around. Everyone cheers as Vladek enters, crying:

Congratulations! Contratulations! Congratulations! In the air with him! - They throw him up several times before letting him down onto his feet.

Vladek: I thank you, and I promise to invite you all to my wedding, especially you, Swiatetski, who will be my best man.

Swiatetski(raising one hand): The chump thinks we are congratulating him on his engagement.

Vladek: On what, then?

Yulek Resinksi: What! You know nothing?

Vladek: I know nothing. What do you want?

Wach Poterkewich: Give him the Paper Kite - The morning issue of the Paper Kite!

Franek Ceptowski(handing Vladek the issue of the Paper Kite): Read the telegrams!

Vladek: Special telegram to the Paper Kite:

"Magorski's painting, ‘The Jews on the River of the Vistula,' has been awarded the great medal of this year's Salon. The critics cannot find words sufficient to praise the genius of the master. Albert Wolff calls the painting a revelation! Baron Hirsch offers fifteen thousand francs."

(Vladek drops the paper numbly, and Franek Ceptowski picks it up again. He begins reading where Vladek left off.)

Franek Ceptowski: "We are informed by the master himself that he intends to exhibit his picture in our beautiful city.

"To the question of the Vice-president of the local Fine Arts Association, whether it was his intention to exhibit his grand creation in Warsaw, the master replied: ‘I would rather my picture were sold in Paris than not exhibited in Warsaw.' We hope that these words may be read by future generations on the tombstone of the master, though we trust Heaven will postpone that event as long as possible.

"The mother of the master, owing to the excitement incident upon reading the telegrams from Paris, became seriously ill. At the time we go to press, we learn that the condition of the master's mother is much improved.

"The master is in receipt of telegrams from all the capitals of Europe, inviting him to exhibit his picture in their respective cities."

Vladek: Ha! What a liar Ostrynski is! I know that I shall exhibit my picture in Warsaw, but I have not spoken a word to anybody about it; the Vice-president of the Fine Arts Association has put no question to me, and I have made no reply; my mother has been dead for nine years, and lastly, I have received no invitation from anywhere to exhibit my picture.

Stach Klosewitch holds up another newspaper.

Stach Klosewitch: Here is the morning Aquator, Vladek. It has the telegram, as well.

Vladek: Ah, good. So I can at least feel a bit better concerning what Ostrynski wrote.

Sludetski(shaking Vladek's hand): By Jove! I have always believed in your genius, and have always defended you, my dear comrade. Probably you may object, dear comrade, that such a Fafresto as myself should call you ‘comrade'. If such is the case, then pardon me, dear comrade - it comes from sheer habit.

Vladek: Never, my dear Sludetski, have you spoken in such a manner to me. Perhaps it may be my recent coming to fame? If I recall correctly, you tend to call me an idiot, not a com-

Karminksi: Dear comrade, should you need any money, then speak just a word to me and I will-

Vladek: And you, Karminski my friend, are often known to say,

‘Comrade, when you are in financial straits, then come to me and I will - I will see you again!'

Swiatetski: Although I see you are judaized, I congratulate you!

Vladek(hugging Swiatetski): Although I see you are getting foolish, I thank you!

Wach Poterkewich: Has anyone else got a throat as dry or as parched as mine? What say you that we get some drinks?

Swiatetski: I have two roubles!

Woitek Michalak: And I have one!

They collect varying amounts of coins from some of the guests, and with all of it Karminski exits.

Sludetski: So what of this engagement I hear? Who is it, Vladek?

Vladek: It is Kazia, the daughter of old Helidor Suslowski.

Sludetski: That's one lucky woman.

Swiatetski: I cannot imagine why.

Vladek: Go on, Antek. You know you're just jealous.

Swiatetski: Hardly likely, Vladek, my friend. Do you believe, you baby, that they had not read the telegram before the young lady wrote to you?

Vladek(after a long pause): Swiatetski, do you think? Should I run to Suslowski's and demand the truth right now? The thought cuts me to the core that Kazia should be such a mercenary, though her parents I might understand.

Ostrynski enters.

Ostrynski: I congratulate you, master, I congratulate you!

Vladek: What an invention! As you see me alive, I first learned about myself from the Paper Kite.

Ostrynski: What do I care?

Vladek: Nor have I said anything about exhibiting the picture, either.

Ostrynski: But you do now!

Woitek Michalak: He has no mother, and his mother is not sick.

Ostrynski: Bothers me still less.

Vladek: But the telegram at least - is that true?

Ostrynski: Certainly!

Karminski enters, holding a jug and saying,

Karminski: Come on, you fellows, let's have at the punch!

Vladek pours Ostrynski a drink, and Ostrynski takes a sip.

Ostrynski: First to your health, and - do you know whose health I will drink next? I congratulate you doubly.

Vladek: How do you know it?

Ostrynski: Oh, Suslowski was in the editorial rooms early this morning.

Swiatetski: Of all the meanness -

Vladek seizes his hat and exits.

End of Scene.

Scene 5.

Kazia's living room. Kazia is sitting alone in the middle of the stage. A loud knocking sounds out. Kazia goes the side of the stage, and lets Vladek in.

Kazia: Why, Vladek, my dear! This is unexpected. How are you? ....What is the matter?

Vladek: Kazia! You knew of the telegram?

Kazia: Of course!

Vladek: But, Kazia?

Kazia: How then, my dear? You cannot wonder at my parents. They had to have some good ground for against giving their consent.

Vladek: But you, Kazia?

Kazia: And I took advantage of the first opportunity. Can you blame me for it, Vladek?

Vladek: No, my dear. I am sorry I rushed so. Shall we kiss and make up?

Kazia: Only on my cheek, dear Vladek, until after our wedding. I fear that I have lost your respect, that you should ask such a thing.

Vladek: What rubbish you talk! But with lips sweeter and redder than the ripest apple. Now then: if your parents assert that they only learned of the telegram later, I will pretend to be ignorant. Is that good enough for you?

Kazia: Yes, Vladek, it is.

Vladek: I saw Ostrynski today. D'you know, I don't think he's such a bad fellow after all? Though he did write such lies about me in his paper.

Kazia: I despise him. He seems to live by degrading talent that can be ten times his own amount, and crushes all to such an extent!

Vladek: Yes, he does tend to ride on the shoulders of those he can. With all that, he is a good comrade and quite a gentleman. Well, I must away to the office of the Fine Arts Association, through whose help I shall be able to communicate with the management of the Salon. I shall send a despatch to say that I am satisfied with the sum offered by Baron Hirsch, but that I intend first to exhibit the picture in Warsaw. All the world seems eager to be my friend, Kazia, and it is most marvelous to be in this place!

Kazia: Indeed? Well, don't let yourself get too high, else my relatives will think ill of you.

Vladek(with a groan): Ah, yes, the day of our formal betrothal is near. Must we have all your picky relatives watching? I shall buy the ring when the Baron pays me. Very well, I now really must go. I promise to come again before the betrothal!

Kazia: Goodbye, Vladek.

End of Scene 5.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 282 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
112 Reviews


Points: 1172
Reviews: 112

Donate
Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:48 am
kris wrote a review...



As a drama student i must say...It is very difficult to act. Almost as bad as a Dada or In'yer face theatre. It is not nice working with a script that has too little stage directions. Other than that the dialogue is very entertaining, clearly you have thought about your characters.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 125

Donate
Mon May 26, 2008 9:30 pm
SASSYLADY333 says...



I think maybe you should put spaces in between your paragraphs! It would be a alot easier to read. I have to go but when I return expect more feedback! ;)





Be led by your talent and not by your self-loathing ... everything beautiful in the world is within you.
— Russell Brand