My God Throughout

by WindSailor

Soundcloud link: https://soundcloud.com/hsarvermusic/my-god-throughout

I am haunted by the past
I don't understand the now
And I'm just here asking
Will this ever turn around 

My life's in a million pieces 
And my frail and broken heart
Is struggling to see 
How this could ever be a part of your plan 

Lord you feel so distant 
Like you're a thousand miles away 
I'm thankful I know you listen
To what my heart has to say

You are faithful to answer 
And wrap me in Your arms 
But Lord even then
I feel the weight on my heart 

But in the storms in the doubt
You have never walked out 
In the fire in the trial 
You were there even while 
In the night, in the dark
When life was falling apart
You were there. 

So even if I'm haunted by the past 
And I don't understand the now
I can trust in Jesus 
My God throughout 

Lives4Christ24 says...

Salutations, Lives is here for yet another review. I hope I don't offend anyone with my reviews. My intent is to edify and give constructive criticism. I really like this work and Live the last two lines. I don't have any complaints with this, WindSailor. Thanks for contributing to YWS.:D

Sujana wrote a review...

As a former Christian whose read other religious-themed works, I'll say that this at least acknowledges the problems believers must face once reality strikes them in the face. I've obviously lost that battle a long time ago, but I think that my mistakes should be able to lead you to your victory.

- "My life's in a million pieces
And my frail and broken heart
Is struggling to see
How this could ever be a part of your plan." I think the problem I have with this is it leaves us readers in the dark. It feels as if a robot is repeating old poems, someone whose assuming humans have problems in their lives but can't show it. You can fix this by either being more specific about your details, or making your protagonist a little more conflicted rather than calm, leaving the conclusion to the poem even more powerful than before.

-"Lord you feel so distant" and "You have never walked out". These two clash with each other. Does your protagonist feel like God is distant, or do they feel like He's always there? Or is this intentional? I think it'd be interesting if you tried to contrast the two thoughts, having the "angel" on the protagonist's shoulders battle with the "demon" on the other shoulder, making a protagonist who actually feels human and isn't just a Bible quote in a poem. Unfortunately, as it is it sounds like the latter.

-"I am haunted by the past
I don't understand the now" Good repetition in the beginning and the end, but then we have another problem--does the protagonist resolve anything? Repetition indicates that they did in the end, but the reader is left in the dark to what that was. That may just be me, but I suggest pressing on the religious theme and conflicts a bit more to give us a very emotional piece of work.

Otherwise, you did a good job for what it is.

Signing out--EM.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:13 pm
Lael wrote a review...

Hey, good job on this! I only have a few things to say.

"How this could ever be apart of your plan". I think you meant so say "a part" right?

Second, some of the statements you make sort of contradict each other. I understand what you're trying to say, but it does sort of take away from the meaning.

"Like you're a thousand miles away/I'm thankful I know you listen/To what my heart has to say". I think that you could change the line in the middle a little, to something like "But I'm thankful that you listen".

Other than those, I have nothing to correct. And yes, I agree with this song. Good job, and go Jesus! ;)

KaiRyu says...

I love your profile pic.

WindSailor says...

Haha thanks!

KaiRyu says...

:P

'They are afraid of nothing,' I grumbled, watching their approach through the window. 'Together, they would brave Satan and all his legions.'
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights