Ode To Sunflowers, (A 5 minute Poem)

by Spaulds

Ode to sunflowers,

Beaming with joy and life.

A Sun growing tall and proud.

To number thousands on a green canvas.

All are different,

Sizes and shapes and shades,

They continue to grow next to their friends.

Yellow with bright eyes.

Optimistic attitudes shine constantly,

In a garden,

Or Wild.

My favorite flower,

Which brightens the day.

Other flowers cannot compare.

Without them the world would be gray.

Better than the sun,
Without it they would not be,

For it is the sun that gives them life.

They need the light,

And the sun needs them.

Smiling back at him up in the sky.

Sunflowers are friends.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:50 am
Rook wrote a review...

I understand that this was a 5 minute poem, but I'll review it like you spent your entire life on it, kay? ^-^

So, the title is very exact. I was about to say, "this is an ode to sunflowers," and then I realized that you had titled it that so. As an ode, you're basically just extolling the virtues of something, which is a type of thing that I usually don't like, but hey, that's what an ode calls for.

A few picky things:

To number thousands on a green canvas.

Fragment: consider revising.

All are different,
Sizes and shapes and shades,

Consider your punctuation here. Actually, consider it everywhere. You don't have to have a punctuation mark at the end of every line, just like you don't have to have capitals at the beginning of every line. Think about what makes your poem flow the best. The correct way to read a poem out loud is not to pause at the end of lines as is our natural instinct, but to pause only at the punctuation that tells you to pause. I recommend punctuating as you would in prose, but that's my personal style. I find it works, though.
In this specific quote, I recommend removing the comma after "different," and changing the comma after "shades" to a period, because the next line is a whole sentence. Though, the line after ("yellow with bright eyes") is a fragment that seems to tie in to the previous line... Check your punctuation.

I was going to put several more things here, but I realized most of these problems could be solved with a thorough punctuation examination. Let me know if you need help with this.

Other flowers cannot compare.

Without them the world would be gray.

These lines seem to have... conflicting purposes. The first line is saying that the sunflowers are great and other flowers are not, but the second line seems to be saying that other flowers (without THEM --> other flowers) are needed to keep the world from being gray.

Similar to that: (so similar that I'm thinking that maybe you did it on purpose, though I'm not seeing any value in doing it, because it mostly confuses your reader)
Better than the sun,
Without it they would not be,
For it is the sun that gives them life.

This is saying sunflowers are better than the sun, but can anything really be better than something else if they need that something else for life? Hm. Interesting to ponder. This part makes more sense-as is that the other part, bu they seem to have opposite messages, so I am conflicted. I think you just have confusing pronouns. You should check your pronouns.

Sunflowers are friends.

Friends.... with... who? The sun? you? everyone? That's a good question.

So yes, I understand this is an ode, but I wish it was less simple, and had more metaphors etc. I bet that you could, with a bit of editing and brainstorming, turn this into something more than it is. I'd love to see an allusion to Van Gogh's painting. Other than that, I'm not sure what other advice I can give you. Try to elaborate more on the images, and find more emotions that just describing what sunflowers re, look like, and do.
I know you can do it!

~fortis

Spaulds says...

Thanks for the review! I really wasn't happy with the poem myself, but i still didn't just want to get rid of it. I was wondering what I could do to save it and your review really helped out! Thanks!

Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:56 am
AlyssaB506 wrote a review...

This poem is very intriguing to readers. Since you added descriptive details, your readers are given the opportunity to visualize your poem. I hope you continue to write like this. The long lasting affect you have is phenomenal. You are very talented! Let me know if you post anything else! I wish you luck on your future writing adventures.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:55 am
AlyssaB506 says...

This poem is very intriguing to readers. Since you added descriptive details, your readers are given the opportunity to visualize your poem. I hope you continue to write like this. The long lasting affect you have is phenomenal. You are very talented! Let me know if you post anything else!

Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:19 am
AlyssaB506 says...

I love how descriptive your poem is. Great job!

Spaulds says...

Tanks for the feed back! I wasnt very proud of it myself but i'll edit it later! Welcomt to Yws

Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:18 am
AlyssaB506 says...

This poem is very intriguing to readers. Since you added descriptive details, your readers are given the opportunity to visualize your poem. I hope you continue to write like this. You are very talented! Let me know if you post anything else!

Spaulds says...

how can i live laugh love in these conditions
— Orion42