Of the Lands of Ray and Hammer, Segment 2

by Whisper91

Of the Lands of Ray and Hammer, Segment 2, "In Foresight":

When he rose from slumber the following morning, Lydighet's thoughts still dwelt on the village's decision. Face and ears washed, Lydighet knelt down on the cold, wood floor, placing his hands on his thighs. He took a deep breath as he prepared to offer a supplication unto his Maker, Allmektig.

Master, guide me. Watch over me. Enable me to carry out my tasks with joy. If it is Your will, turn the hearts of my village back to You. Show them Your grace. I thank You that I can speak to You.

Lydighet relaxed, fresh remembrance of Allmektig's glories flowing over him, remembrance of Allmektig's love. Refreshed, he went about his early morning tasks of feeding his smoldering fire, preparing his meal, and tidying up his home. Once finished with his pre-dawn chores, Lydighet flung on his poncho, hesitating at his staff. Grabbing the stave, he headed out the door, feeling the crisp air nip his face.

He did not enjoy relying on assistance. The ground crunched beneath his feet as he arrived at the first village building, wishing ever-nearing Mr. Time would stay away longer. The need for a cane and the cold season are here, and both too early, the aged man grumbled to himself. Mulling over the problems of age and bad weather, he concluded it was rather early for winter set in anyway. Bad weather, bad age, and bad people – all visiting at the same time, thought Lydighet.

Coming around the last building between himself and the meetinghouse, Lydighet strode toward the tightly clustered villagers at the far side of the market square. The village would depart from here saying their good-byes to the people who would remain. Nearing the crowd, Lydighet spotted the Usikkers near the meetinghouse entrance. Moving through the crowd, he neared the family.

“Good morning, Lydighet,” greeted Pamaus, father of the Usikker family.

“Morning, Pamaus,” Lydighet cheerily returned, tickling the cheek of Pamaus's youngest in the arms of his wife, Ihana, “Why! The children do look fit.”

The Usikkers had a large family. Not ten years married, the couple had eight children with one on its way. The Usikkers were always kept busy.

“Thank you, Ly,” Pamaus blushed, as Ihana nudged him slightly, “Oh, I'm reminded to let you know Mr. Trassig wanted to have a word with you.”

“Did he? Do you know what he wanted?” asked Lydighet.

“No, but he. . . Oh, there he is now,” answered Pamaus, pointing behind Lydighet.

Lydighet turned and was received by the brusque voice of the heavy-set Barsk, furrow-faced wife trailing behind, “Cold morn'n, Lydighet. Snow's com'n. Hope you've got that drafty old barn you live in patched up.”

“Thank you, Barsk, that's. . .” began Lydighet.

“Oh, no bother, but could we step over here,” cut off Barsk, propelling Lydighet over to an uncrowded patch of ground under the building's eave.

Rancid breath brushed Lydighet as Barsk began again, “The missus and I – we'd ask you to do something though, after we leave. Watch our shed while we're gone. There's been a disappearance of items from the building.”

Barsk leaned closer, “I've got a hunch it's one of those Usikker brats.”

Lydighet glanced over at the Usikker's children. Most could not even wield a spoon correctly. Lydighet looked back one brow raised slightly.

“No, Lydighet, don't you second guess me. I know it's one of their's.”

Barsk thrust out his hand, grasping Lydighet's, “Thank you, kindly, friend. I'd never be able to do this without you. Best be going.”

Releasing his grip, Barsk swung around, grabbing his wife's arm, and stomped off into the crowd.

Lydighet moved back over to the Usikkers, nodding his head with wonder.

Once the village people were prepared to depart, everyone said their farewells to their well-treasured friends and began the trek to the city of the Glorious One. Once the trail of people, animals, and wagons vanished from sight, Lydighet turned to the Usikkers and asked them to come into the meetinghouse for a small chat and a meal. Pamaus, attempting to lodge a protest, said they had much work to do, but Lydighet quieted him, saying today was a day of encouragement and fellowship and that he would come home with them afterward to help around their place.

Inside, Pamaus, Ihana, and Lydighet had settled down to warm glasses of milk, having served the children.

Lydighet opened, “We've had some interesting occurrences over the past several weeks, and I, for one, have been disturbed by most of it. I trust in Allmektig, and I've been led to believe that the decisions made by our just-departed friends will not turn out for the best.”

After a gulp of his milk and a wipe of his sleeve, he continued, “What has caused you to remain here?”

Pamaus breathed deeply, glancing at Ihana, who was staring into her mug.

“Well,” Pamaus started, “we were worried about the children. We don't have pack animals, so we would've had to walk. As you said, I am also suspicious of those people who came through town, and of Lurt also. There was something eerie about him. I don't know what it was, but it was enough to make us stick here, to our roots. Besides all that, Ihana is in her fifth month. That's no time for travel.”

There was a short silence in which Lydighet and Pamaus took sips of their drink.

It seemed that was the end of the conversation, but then Ihana stirred, “Pamaus, tell him the truth.”

“What, Dear, what is it?” Pamaus asked softly as he reached his arm around her.

Tears in her eyes, Ihana again said, “Tell him the truth, Pamaus. We can't hide it. Tell him the dream.”

As Ihana leaned on him, Pamaus gathered himself, wrapping his arm further around Ihana, and began, “Several nights ago, Ihana had a dream. In the dream, there were many joyful people. They lived in prosperity and contentment under the guarding hand of an almighty Being.

“Then a great evil creature came from a forgotten land. Its face was lovely, like a young man's, a virtuous young man of great talent, but its body was fell, spikes and claws, scales and hair. Then this – this man-beast established its dwelling place in a great stone house, and many of the glad-hearted people became like this creature, half man and half beast. The man-beast dominated the other man-beasts and made them even less human, creatures of darkness and death. Eventually, the whole land fell away under the power of the great creature.

“These things are strange to us. The dream bore ill tidings. We felt there was some tie between the dream and the events of the past several weeks.”

He paused, “That is why we've stayed.”

His reiteration stopped, punctuated by the noises of the children in a adjacent room.

Ihana spoke, even quieter than earlier, staring into space, “The dream reminds me of things my parents used to say. They used to say things like, 'If the people stop trusting Him, he will come again,' and, 'Rebellious people find a rebellious ruler.' Could this have something to do with the Glorious One and Allmektig, the One you speak of?”

She now looked at Lydighet, “Could it?”

Lydighet was silent for a while; then solemnly, “I do not know for sure. This new knowledge bothers me. It – it sifts through my mind as sand through fingers. I cannot be sure of its meaning.”

More joyfully now and motioning between them, “But I'm confident of this: you two have made a far better decision than the other people of this village.”

The encouragement sparked a small fire in their eyes. A tinge of a smile on the lips of the young people followed.

Lydighet again commenced, “Now, let us clear this building of our use and direct ourselves to your home. You could use a strong helping hand.”

Pamaus again tried to object, but Lydighet hushed him, “Hop to it! Would you let an old man beat you to the work?”

Pamaus dropped his objection, smiling and nodding, as Ihana and he began to tidy the place and gather the children for the walk home.

If you enjoyed this, check out Of the Lands of Ray and Hammer, Segment 1 (Topic 25233)!

i can not even say what i think...it was really good....i can't find really anything that id change........oh yeah thanx 4 the advice earlier!! :D

If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.
— Mo Willems