Else Besides (working title)

by WhatIsWhy

Kay, here I go! First story post :D

This is a very light, soon-to-be-silly stereotypical fantasy type thing. Sometimes I like to write stuff that's amusing rather than serious, and to be honest it's never my best work.

That's why I need a critique.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter One

“Kalen, your Grace, it’s no use. She doesn’t remember you,” said Jerome, shaking his head. “Or anyone else, for that matter.” He eyed the pitiful pair, wondering how it had ever come to this. Kalen looked ready to cry, which made him seem more ridiculous with his flamboyantly decorated purple and gold robes and mousy, girlish features. Jerome had never been very partial to Kalen’s choice of clothing, but as the prince’s guard he had no say in the matter. In any case, it did match Kalen’s usually pompous attitude.

Today, however, things were a little different.

On the bed sat Naia, Kalen’s newly betrothed. She had her graceful hands

folded neatly in her lap like a proper lady, but she was swinging her feet back and forth, scuffling them on the carpet, and looking around with an oddly blank expression on her face. Last thing anyone knew, she had gone for a walk in the garden with her sister, Armanie. Not a very good idea, walking in that garden without protection; after all, straight to the north of it lay the mysterious Gray Forest. Everyone knew the place was filled with sentient plants and many mischievous forms of Fey, among other things better not mentioned. It would seem Naia had run into some of those, and Armanie was no where to be found.

“But she has to remember me, Jerome,” whined Kalen. “How can we get married if she doesn’t know who I am?”

“We’re getting married?” asked Naia incredulously. Suddenly there seemed a little more attention in her large hazel eyes, but the smile on her face was no less empty than before. “How wonderful! I shall have to tell…oh, who was it I was speaking with earlier?” She lapsed back into silence again, brow furrowed as she tried to remember something which she could not. Looking at the mud and rips in her velvet gown and the tangle her long black hair had become, Jerome wondered just what had happened out in the garden. She must have been chased by something, but what?

He cleared his throat and smiled dryly. “Well, that problem’s solved, your Highness.”

“But her memory,” said Kalen. “What happened to it?”

“It’s been stolen.”

“Stolen? What kind of creature steals memories?”

“Faeries, pixies, the like,” Jerome said with a shrug. “Dragons, usually.”

Kalen stared at him blankly, so that his face nearly matched Naia’s. “Dragons,” he repeated. His face paled considerably, much to Jerome’s delight. “How…how do we get them back?”

“Oh, I imagine you’ll have to ride off valiantly into the wilderness, following whatever creature did this to your beloved, find her memories, and slay the thing, presumably without getting yourself killed,” said Jerome. “That’s what knights and princes have always done in these kinds of situations.” He clapped Kalen on the back heartily, metal gauntlets clinking against the gold and silver ornaments sewn to the prince’s clothes.

Kalen tried desperately to draw himself up and look confident, throwing out his chest and grabbing his sword from its place on the wall. He drew the shining, new blade clumsily from the ornate scabbard and swung it around a few times, as if vanquishing imaginary foes. On the last thrust, he overbalanced and stumbled into a bookshelf, sending the large, leather-bound volumes scattering across the floor. Naia, watching the entire time with barely disguised amusement, burst into a loud fit of giggles and fell backwards onto the bed.

Kalen picked himself up gingerly, feeling dejected. “Who am I trying to fool,” he said, a bitter tone in his voice. “I’m no good at this kind of thing. I’m supposed to rule a kingdom, not go off on wild adventures.” He turned to Jerome with pleading eyes and repeatedly ran his hands through his wispy brown hair. “Please, Sir Jerome, say you’ll help me! I’ve known you all my life, and there is no man I trust more.”

Pacing about the room, he began babbling to himself about what they would need to take on such a journey, and where they should go. Jerome listened and agreed or disagreed to each thing, as he was expected to, but he thought Kalen had forgotten something.

“Sire,” he said, “if I may, I think we should need to bring Princess Naia along with us.”

Kalen stopped pacing. “That would put her in terrible danger! Why do you suggest such a thing?” he sputtered. The wild look in Kalen’s eyes was starting to worry him.

“Well, because I don’t think there is any way to carry someone’s memories back to them. She’ll have to be there to receive what’s been taken from her.”

Naia jumped up from the bed and clapped her hands together. “I’ve always wanted to go adventuring! I know there’s some reason I’m not supposed to, but who cares about rules, anyway?” Kalen watched her in obvious misery.

“It’s because you’re a princess, sweetheart. However, it seems we shall need to bring you along.” He dropped down to one knee and took her hand in his. “I swear, no creature will harm you while I still live. On my oath, I put my life before yours.”

Naia raised an eyebrow at him and pulled away, looking a bit uncomfortable. “That’s all very romantic, kind sir, but I think I can take care of myself,” she said, picking up his sword and weighing it in her hands. “Why, it’s much lighter than I thought! Is it hard to learn?” Jerome realized that she was addressing him and grinned.

“Not particularly, your Highness. I’ll be happy to teach you on our journey.”

---------------------------------------------------

I'm going away until saturday, so i'll post the second chapter then. :D

looking forward to replies

Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:59 am
Myth wrote a review...

“Kalen, your Grace, it’s no use. She doesn’t remember you,” said Jerome, shaking his head.

‘it’s’ = ‘its’

It would seem Naia had run into some of those, and Armanie was no where to be found.

‘no where’ = ‘nowhere’

Something very large had torn a path through the towering, ancient trees, scattering the silvery hanging moss and gray-barked wood that gave the wood its name.

In the last sentence you could change the second ‘wood’ to ‘forest’.

Stories he’d heard buzzing around the palace spoke of trees in the forest that talked amongst themselves, waiting for the unwary traveler to stray to close into their branches’ rough grasp before drawing them deep into the earth and trapping them beneath the roots.

‘traveler to stray to close’ = ‘traveler to stray too close’

I’m getting the impression that the prince and princess are quite young, as in teenagers.

So far I like Naia and not Kalen, he seems to be the typical guy who thinks he knows best.

The forest reminds me of my Queen of the Harpies except mine aren’t really friendly are they?

Nice story, keep it going and I'll be back to read the rest. :D

Wow! Very well written. I especially like Naia's characterization. You really know what you're doing! I really have no critique. Keep going, can't wait for chapter 3!

Gaia says...

I like the story a lot, I always like some sort of fantasy story, although I'm not much of a reader. I'll make sure to read more as it's posted. :]

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:28 pm
Ani May Queen wrote a review...

Hey, super awesome story. I really have no critque, I really just enjoyed this a lot. It's nice to read something that's suposed to be light and silly for once. I love Naia, she seems so cool. I also have a feeling there's going to be something going on between Jerome and Naia later. But that's just my guess! Please continue!

Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:31 pm
WhatIsWhy says...

D:

Leaving real soon.

I'll posty whatever chapters I get done in the next 2 days on saturday :D

Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:02 pm
WhatIsWhy says...

mm I see what you mean about those sentences.

editing ahoy!

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:35 pm
Empress Kat says...

His suspicions were confirmed as they came within seeing distance of the Gray Forest’s edge

"seeing distance" I mean really, that's just nonsense.

had no trouble getting a grip on the three adventurers.

Until Kalen pulled out his sword

and that break is just wrong in some way, ya know?

Love how a little politeness goes a long way. Huzzah for common curtsey :D I want more

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:13 pm
WhatIsWhy says...

Chapter Two

There was only one hitch in the plan, it seemed, as the three headed out from the castle on horseback. They didn’t know what kind of creature had taken Naia’s memories, or where it had gone off to. If it had moved at all…but somehow Jerome doubted the thing was still within the gardens.

His suspicions were confirmed as they came within seeing distance of the Gray Forest’s edge. Something very large had torn a path through the towering, ancient trees, scattering the silvery hanging moss and gray-barked wood that gave the wood its name. There was no question now that they were chasing a dragon. But why would it want Princess Naia’s memories, or, now that he thought of it, her sister Armanie? Well, they would find out, wouldn’t they?

Kalen stared apprehensively at the twisted, gnarled branches that reached out from each tree. “I don’t like this,” he said. “I don’t like this one bit.”

“Nonsense,” said Naia, riding ahead of him on her sturdy black mare. “I think it’s rather pretty. Come on then, off we go on our marvelous adventure!” Jerome chuckled at the open excitement on her face. She’d be easier to deal with on this escapade than Kalen, who was moodily placing his horse in the safest spot possible—in between Naia and himself.

At first, it seemed they were off to a pretty uneventful start. Silence fell over the party as they cast their eyes about the stillness of the forest. There was something in the air that hummed lightly, like a conversation one hears in the next room over. Stories he’d heard buzzing around the palace spoke of trees in the forest that talked amongst themselves, waiting for the unwary traveler to stray to close into their branches’ rough grasp before drawing them deep into the earth and trapping them beneath the roots. Indeed, most who ventured into the Gray Forest never returned…and the bodies were never found.

As if on cue, a groaning, wooden sound filled the forest, and Jerome froze as he felt soft, stringy moss trail across his shoulders and closely-shaved head.

“Would you look at that!” exclaimed Naia. “This tree wants a hug!”

Jerome turned around slowly. A long, thick gray branch had wrapped itself around Naia’s middle and was beginning to lift her off of her panicking horse. A grin plastered across her face, Naia leaned into it and wrapped her arms around the branch. Kalen blubbered nonsense beside him as another tree leaned in and grabbed his wrist. The limbs of these trees were oddly flexible, more like tentacles than wood, and they had no trouble getting a grip on the three adventurers.

Until Kalen pulled out his sword and began hacking at it, that is. The tree pulled back with a hissing rustle of leaves and shook violently. Kalen uttered a triumphant, “Ha!” before seven more lithe branches shot out and entwined themselves about his arms, legs and neck. He choked on a scream as the sword fell from his hand and the branches drew him closer to the trunk of the tree.

Jerome felt the usual nagging need to help his master, but at the moment that was impossible. Like Naia, he was being firmly held about the waist. The horses had long since run out from under their uplifted riders, leaving him stranded in midair. The tree’s grip on him wasn’t terribly tight, but it was enough to keep him in place.

Then Naia noticed what was happening to Kalen. She pursed her lips and twisted around to give him a stern look. “Prince Kalen! That’s no way to treat your hosts. We are guests in this forest after all. Be polite and say you’re sorry,” she said quite seriously. Kalen was too terrified to argue. The roots of his tree had begun to writhe and open into a small, human-sized niche.

“I’m sorry! Sorry, sorry, sorry! I’ll never cut down another tree again!” he said in a muffled voice. The tree stopped reeling him in for a moment, as if in consideration of his words. More rustling and groaning filled the wood, and the three trees that held them reached out to touch one another in conversation. Kalen’s tree finally gave off a sigh-like creak and released him. The other two did the same, and everyone fell several feet onto the dusty, leaf-littered ground.

“Thank you!” said Naia, looking upward at the rustling trees. Jerome wondered if she’d always been this odd, or if it was her loss of memory and common sense. Either way, she’d saved them all from what could have been an untimely end. She put her hands on her hips and started walking down the overgrown path. “Now, where have those ponies gone off to?”

Jerome glanced between her and Kalen, who was still on the ground, trembling with his hands over his face. Should he stay with the obviously incompetent prince, or follow Naia? Almost without thought, he decided that he’d much rather go after the girl. Kalen could catch up. He grinned. It would do the young man some good.

-----------------------------------------

Wow, I'm surprised at how fast I did that!
Dude. :shock:

Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:47 pm
WhatIsWhy says...

:D

thanks!

actually, I think I'll try to finish chapter 2 NOW before my grandparents get here.

I can do it. I know I can.

Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:35 pm
Empress Kat wrote a review...

She had her graceful hands
folded neatly in her lap like a proper lady, but she was swinging her feet back and forth, scuffling them on the carpet, and looking around with an oddly blank expression on her face.

I love that bit. Maybe because it reminds me of... me...

If this story is going in that sort of girl-is-better-than-guy-and-saves-guy way, it's right up my alley. I love heroins... is that the drug? I was never good as spelling.

Silly stories are the best. keep this going. or else.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same.
— Kurt Cobain