z

Young Writers Society



Kingdom Amongst the Moss

by WeasleyDragonStar


This is the first chapter of a novel I am working on about an eighteen-year-old Palestinian girl named Amalah, who travels to the outskirts of Savannah, Georgia (the town of Mayton) to find a wealthy uncle in 1948, the year of the birth of Israel. Please give honest feedback. Thanks!

A trunk grasped in my right hand. A satchel thrown over my shoulder. My pockets bulging with packets of crackers, dull pencils, and anything else I had managed to stow away before fleeing. This was how I entered Mayton, Georgia. This was all I had.

Horribly boring. I twirl the pen between my forefinger and thumb, allowing the ink to smear on my fingertips, painting my skin black. Just like my heart had been. Steady music pulses through me. The letter from Gunther peers up at me, untidy scrawl screeching for attention. I brush the letter away and chew on my eraser.

Deprived of sleep, and emotionally fatigued, my heavy heart set out in the small town of Mayton…

No, no, no, too melancholy. I tell myself to let it go, allow the words to spew out from my mind. Whatever I thought.

Moss dangled eerily from trees, dripping to the earth in heaps. Gazing up, I breathed in the ghosts of the coalition of buildings, chipped with years of moaning. Southern belles supported baskets on their arms, loafs of bread and jars peeking out at top. Stately businessmen lugging suitcases tipped their hats with ease, acknowledging the ladies. Coloureds in working clothes marched, their toolboxes and carpetbags swinging. I envied each of them, and diverted my vision to the ground. Only a few American dollars, freshly exchanged for my Palestinian pounds at the port, had been stuffed into my dress pocket with haste. I tugged at the strands of my ratted hair, concealing my severed ears behind the locks. A mosaic box of photographs and old letters and a silk veil rustled in my satchel.

Yes. This is where my story begins.

Chapter 1

Mere hours before, I had been sleeping in an alleyway, writhing amongst the rats on the coarse skin of the concrete. An old, tan dress blanketed my cold flesh. There were no inns I could submit to, as I only owned six dollars, and the cheapest inns were overladen with sailors and porters come straight off the harbour.

As dawn awoke, swapping the sky with night, I was trampled upon. Just like so many dawns ago.

“GET UP, VERMIN!” A shout grappled at the air. At first, I thought he was a Jew.

“DON’T KILL ME!” I screamed, shielding my face with my palms.

“I’m not going to kill you!” My attacker, a stocky, red man, spat at me, affronted. Reawakened by the image of the alley, I remembered that I was in Savannah. Not Palestine. “Get outta here! NO LAZY INJUNS ALLOWED!”

‘Injuns’ wasn’t part of my vocabulary, but the insult had no time to baffle me. I quickly gathered up all of my belongings in my arms and sprinted away.

********************

My feet ached with the short run, their old grievances tying them down. Panting, I skidded into a park. The grass, crinkling in autumn’s early breath, stood enclosed by a wall of trees. I leaned against the trunk of a tree with moss for hair. I fumbled around in my satchel for the mosaic box. My fingers recovered the smooth, refreshingly cool surface of the small box and I pulled it out. My vision blurred with untamed tears as I undid the latch. The haze of the water stirring between my lashes grabbed at the sun’s rays, pulling them into my eyes and casting the tarnished latch with an unearthly gleam.

My right fingers, trapped in a bandage as I broke them just a few weeks ago, grappled for the blur of the photograph tucked underneath the veil and herb sack.

Mirthful faces greeted me. My whole family, cousins and grandparents and aunts and uncles, had gathered in Jerusalem for my cousin’s marriage. Positioned in the train station, greeting relatives from Lydda, the photo was taken from a higher balcony by a family friend. My family gazed up at the camera, eyes offering condolences. My tears threw the image of them into a void, where their faces were barely recognizable, smeared by…smeared by what? An element I had witnessed but not registered? What was it?

A ruthless series of emotions attacked me. I cursed myself for leaving my family. I cursed the Jews who ruined my lives, the ones I should have avenged. I cursed Allah for not helping me, and then I remembered that He had never been there, He’s only ever existed as a figure woven of thin air. But I still cursed His image, condemning his idol of gold and hope.

I buried my head in my scarred hands and sobbed, grief rippling quakes all over my body. Who do I go to now? Abandoned in a land I’ve never seen, strangers sweeping the streets. Just a year ago, exhilaration would have ruffled in my veins with the journey. How changed could one be?

I longed to pray, but Allah had failed. Could I pray to Falastin, or had my land failed me, too? Should I devote a prayer to the deceased? But they failed me too, leaving me in ruins.

This was why I needed to find my uncle. His wealth must bring my family back to the world that they deserved. Perhaps not one that I deserved, but that they did.

Lifting the photo to my lips, I inhaled the crisped air. I gripped my trunk. No succumbing to weakness. Resilience was the only answer to what I wanted.

This brings me to where I began. As I marched through Mayton, I would step into a puddle of sunlight woven of autumn rays, embroidered with lace of heat, and it would trickle warmth into my mind, pressing hope into my brain.

Passing through the park, veiled by the draping moss of trees. I watched them as tears dripped down their trunks, earrings of earthly fibers waving down to the earth in earrings. That’s where I was. And I set my foot into a pool of light, the water rippling as the trees swayed in the oncoming breath of the sky.

And I tripped.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
29 Reviews


Points: 1826
Reviews: 29

Donate
Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:31 am
TheElderOne wrote a review...



Again, great detail.

If I had greater world history knowledge, I would know why Amalah left, but unfortunately I don't. It's interesting to see this from a Palestinian's point of view. It's not one I've seen in books or any kind of work. Also, the fact that her ears are severed is probably significant to her past, I'm guessing, and hopefully you can explain it later. Is it a punishment or something?

Her lost conviction in her faith is interesting. Are you planning to make this a 'faith-recovery' story in the midst of her searching for her uncle? I wonder.

Also - this is going to sound silly - are Amalah and Amy from your most recent piece the same or they just happen to know a person named Gunter? Or is it the same Gunter?

Anyways, onward to the next piece.






Hello again. The reason Amalah left is because the Zionists were granted the land of Palestine, forcing the Arabs out. Yeah--NOBODY writes about Palestine. Very few. Severed ears...Zionists ripped earrings out of women's ears, ripping their ears in the process.
Lost religious faith is not a major theme. Lost faith in the world is, but not religious faith.
Amalah and Amy are the same person (since In the Trees was a later part in the story, you see her name changed to 'Amy'. You'll see if i post chapter 3). Same Gunther.



User avatar
401 Reviews


Points: 1658
Reviews: 401

Donate
Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:03 am
View Likes
ThereseCricket wrote a review...



Hi! Cricket here to return the favor. :)

I saw the second chapter to this story, and I couldn't resist coming by and leaving a review on Chapter 1 before I did anything else.

What really stuck me about this piece is how you started it. I, for one, did like how you put the strike through in there, as it's something that I haven't seen done before (or at least that often). It showed that she was indecisive of how she was going to bring her story across, and of course most writers are like that! Especially ones that are trying to bring their story across to their readers in the most clear and decisive fashion. What she actually started her story off with was excellent, of course. I got a great visual from it all, and comparing her appearance to the people beside her gave me something to hold onto, and also showed me that she is definitely different from everybody else. Or at least somebody that is much more forlorn than them.

“Get outta here! NO LAZY INJUNS ALLOWED!”


No offense, but I don't see Injun as that much of a insult. I'm part Indian myself, and I wouldn't be the least insulted if somebody called me that. So maybe a stronger word? Just my personal opinion here. ^^

smeared by…smeared by what


One rule that comes with using an ellipsis is that you have to put a space after it. So it would be smeared by... smeared by what. If you don't have a space after an ellipsis, then technically the two words (by and smeared) were put together as one.

Those two are basically the only nitpicks that I could find. What was the main theme for this chapter, I think, was that you were trying to show her Jewish heritage. Show her heritage, and show how alone she was. I can't exactly understand by what you mean abandoned, but I assume that is something for the next chapters? If so, then that should make a pretty awesome story. I especially love how you hinted so subtly that her rich uncle was her only hope.

While your writing style seems pretty complicated from the appearance, but when you actually start reading... everything comes across extremely clear and precise. Anyhow, sorry I couldn't help anymore with this. xD If you have any questions then please PM me. :)

Keep writing!

~Cricket






Thanks, Cricket. I like to reply to my commentators, so:
"Injun"--Since this is the South (1940's south), "Injun" wasn't really desirable (big racial problems)
"Smeared by....smeared by what?"--To be completely honest, I have no idea with what you're saying. I don't actually know what ellipsis is (because I'm just a genius that way). I'll look it up when I can...
So, about Jewish heritage, she's Palestinian. Sorry if I confused you, Twit pointed something out actually (thanks, Twit!), that I wrote wrong:
"I cursed the Jews who ruined my lives, the ones I should have avenged."
Avenged was not the right word...I feel so dumb! Revenge. :D Great job, WeasleyDragonStar (sarcastic)!
Thanks for your comments! I'm really glad you like the strike-out, my thought when I wrote that was like, "Hey, why don't I do strike-out?" I didn't even think anything of it.
Thanks for your review!





Okay, that all makes sense. Oh, and an ellipsis is just the trailing off of three dots. (...) Signals a trailing off and so on. :) Sorry, I didn't explain that further.



User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:28 pm
View Likes
Twit wrote a review...



Hi WeasleyDragonStar!


A trunk grasped in my right hand. A satchel thrown over my shoulder. My pockets bulging with packets of crackers, dull pencils, and anything else I had managed to stow away before fleeing. This was how I entered Mayton, Georgia. This was all I had.

Dude, I really like this beginning.


Horribly boring. I twirl the pen between my forefinger and thumb, allowing the ink to smear on my fingertips, painting my skin black. Just like my heart had been.

Really not a fan of the last part; it's too cliche and OTT.


Steady music pulses through me.

Metaphorical music? Not clear about this line.


The letter from Gunther peers up at me, untidy scrawl screeching for attention.

Missed out word - "his untidy scrawl"?


Gazing up, I breathed in the ghosts of the coalition of buildings, chipped with years of moaning.

Who's doing the moaning, the ghosts or the buildings?


Coloureds in working clothes marched, their toolboxes and carpetbags swinging.

Just saying "marched" sounds unfinished. Suggest something like "marched onwards" or "marched down the street".


I envied each of them, and diverted my vision to the ground.

These two clauses aren't connected, so this sentence feels a bit off. Like, her envy is directing her gaze to the ground.


Only a few American dollars, freshly exchanged for my Palestinian pounds at the port, had been stuffed into my dress pocket with haste.

I think "had been hastily stuffed" would sound better. Ending "with haste" sounds off.


I tugged at the strands of my ratted hair, concealing my severed ears behind the locks.

"Severed ears" makes me think like the ears themselves, severed from a head, the detached organs themselves. Do you mean her ears have been cut off, or mutilated?


Mere hours before, I had been sleeping in an alleyway, writhing amongst the rats on the coarse skin of the concrete.

"Writhing amongst" makes it sound like she was lying on the ground and wriggling and spasming. Is that quite the right image for here?


An old, tan dress blanketed my cold flesh.

This is kinda roundabout. Could you say it more directly?


There were no inns I could submit to, as I only owned six dollars, and the cheapest inns were overladen with sailors and porters come straight off the harbour.

"Submit to" doesn't quite make sense. It makes it sound like she has to obey the inns.


“GET UP, VERMIN!” A shout grappled at the air. At first, I thought he was a Jew.

“DON’T KILL ME!” I screamed, shielding my face with my palms.

“I’m not going to kill you!” My attacker, a stocky, red man, spat at me, affronted. Reawakened by the image of the alley, I remembered that I was in Savannah. Not Palestine. “Get outta here! NO LAZY INJUNS ALLOWED!”

I would avoid all-caps dialogue. I know some published authors do it, but it looks childish and OTT, and like you don't trust the dialogue to show the emotion well enough.


The grass, crinkling in autumn’s early breath, stood enclosed by a wall of trees.

Pretty imagery!


I leaned against the trunk of a tree with moss for hair.

Here, not quite so much. I like the connection of moss with hair, but this makes it sound like trees normally have hairy trunks.


The haze of the water stirring between my lashes grabbed at the sun’s rays, pulling them into my eyes and casting the tarnished latch with an unearthly gleam.

This is too purple. Over-describing like this kinda makes it seem like you're being satirical.


My right fingers, trapped in a bandage as I broke them just a few weeks ago, grappled for the blur of the photograph tucked underneath the veil and herb sack.

Suggest "as I had broken them" to show that it happened in the past.


My family gazed up at the camera, eyes offering condolences.

Why condolences? They're at a wedding, and she just said that they were mirthful.


I cursed the Jews who ruined my lives, the ones I should have avenged.

When you avenge someone, you take revenge on someone else for their grievance. So this wording makes it sound like she wants revenge on someone else on the Jews' behalf, not that she wants revenge on the Jews themselves.


Who do I go to now? Abandoned in a land I’ve never seen, strangers sweeping the streets.

You've switched to present tense here.


Just a year ago, exhilaration would have ruffled in my veins with the journey.

"Ruffled in my veins" is perhaps a tad too purple.


This brings me to where I began. As I marched through Mayton, I would step into a puddle of sunlight woven of autumn rays, embroidered with lace of heat, and it would trickle warmth into my mind, pressing hope into my brain.

I would delete the first sentence here, and change the rest so it's more active - not "this would happen" but "this definitely happened".


Passing through the park, veiled by the draping moss of trees. I watched them as tears dripped down their trunks, earrings of earthly fibers waving down to the earth in earrings.

Not clear who "them" refers to.
Repetition of "earrings", and I'm not sure what the image behind "tears dripped down their trunks" conveys.

---

Hi!

So, again, I'm very intrigued by your writing style. It's different, fluid and vivid. The only caveat here is that you need to be careful not to overegg the pudding, which you do do a tiny bit of. I love imagery and pretty prose, like ugh so much love, and yours really is great. But sometimes you use rather too many words. Sometimes simple is best, and sometimes penny words are more powerful than pounds, because you're not tripping over yourself in juggling clarity and beauty.

I'm not sure about the breaking of the fourth wall in the beginning. That kind of David Copperfield beginning sometimes works, but here it's a wee bit confusing - it takes a while to understand that it is a David Copperfield beginning, and not a mistake. Perhaps think about rejigging that.

As a first chapter, you have a fairly good setup - there's a hint of beginning story, of conflict and what's going to happen next. Where this falls a little short is showing voice and character. That's another thing with using very pretty prose - sometimes there's too much glitter and not enough substance. I don't get much of a sense of your character, Amy. While this is only the first chapter, if we're being really brutal and professional about it, you should show voice and character in the first 250 words, and I don't think you're quite there with that yet.

Keep writing, and PM me if you have questions!

-twit






Hi, Twit. You do some very thorough reviews. I would answer to every comment you made (say "that's a good point" or "actually this is what I meant...."), but that would take forever. There were some poor word choices and grammatical errors you pointed out--thanks!
"Steady music pulses through me."--Like legit music
"Gazing up, I breathed in the ghosts of the coalition of buildings, chipped with years of moaning."--The ghosts and the buildings are sort of the same thing, inseperable, but it's pretty much the buildings that are moaning...make sense? If you'ever been to Savannah, you might understand a bit more with what I mean.
"I tugged at the strands of my ratted hair, concealing my severed ears behind the locks."--Her ears are mutilated. There are stories where Zionist soldiers ripped women's ears because they wanted their earrings.
"There were no inns I could submit to, as I only owned six dollars, and the cheapest inns were overladen with sailors and porters come straight off the harbour."--Good point. Thanks!
"I leaned against the trunk of a tree with moss for hair."--The trunk isn't covered with moss. You know, the moss is dripping from the branches. Look up pictures of Spanish moss trees, and you might better understand. (Like, I don't know if you've many before, because I think they're mainly from the South).
GET UP, VERMIN!%u201D A shout grappled at the air. At first, I thought he was a Jew.

%u201CDON%u2019T KILL ME!%u201D I screamed, shielding my face with my palms.

%u201CI%u2019m not going to kill you!%u201D My attacker, a stocky, red man, spat at me, affronted. Reawakened by the image of the alley, I remembered that I was in Savannah. Not Palestine. %u201CGet outta here! NO LAZY INJUNS ALLOWED!%u201D--I understand your point, but don't believe in it--one of those opinions that pop up in writing. I am quite fond of caps letters if the situation asks for it. Thanks for the advice, though--I don't think of it like that very much! I see where you're coming from.
"The haze of the water stirring between my lashes grabbed at the sun%u2019s rays, pulling them into my eyes and casting the tarnished latch with an unearthly gleam."--I get what you're saying, but I am oddly attached to this phrase. Is that silly? There are some phrases I'm particulary attached to. But thanks for reminding me not to be too purple!
"My family gazed up at the camera, eyes offering condolences."--Her family is happy, but their eyes are offering condolences because of her current situation. Make sense?
"Passing through the park, veiled by the draping moss of trees. I watched them as tears dripped down their trunks, earrings of earthly fibers waving down to the earth in earrings."--Uh...honestly I dont know how earrings was repeated. I feel like I might have copied and pasted something wrong or something, because I don't remember putting that.
I didn't respond to every comment, but I'll be correcting things that you've pointed out. Thanks!!



User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 918
Reviews: 19

Donate
Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:56 pm
wamdog321 wrote a review...



I think this is good. First you need to take out all of those strike out marks. After that you need to fix the part where it says horribly boring. In that spot you need to put horribly bored. In the second italicized paragraph at the end you can make something better. You can put there whenever or whatever I thought. You also need to take out the part where you say this is where the story begins. You can put like in the beginning prologue or summary. In the third unitalicized paragraph you need in the first sentence you need to fix something. You can put living among the rats.






So, I've come across different types of people--people who love the strike-out marks, and people who hate them. It's supposed to be where she is writing in a journal, and crossing weak beginnings out. I'm quite partial to my strike-out marks--but thanks for the advice! Horribly bored would not make sense. She is describing the first strike-out part--she must say boring. "Whenever I thought" would not make sense. I'll take your other pieces of advice into consideration--thanks so much!



User avatar


Points: 286
Reviews: 1

Donate
Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:31 pm
pmye wrote a review...



I really enjoyed your story. I think you did a great job describing her surroundings, and did a great job describing how she felt. But I wonder if you could describe your characters more, to make it even better. I loved how you described the trees though. I wonder if you could change the story line so its a bit easier to follow, because I got a bit confused. Over all, great story.






Oh, confusion. A main problem with my story. You see...part of the whole thing in this story is that Amalah is keeping a lot of herself hidden. She isn't telling her story about what happened to her Palestine. You find out a bit more later, and can even gain some sense of what happened to her.
It's sort of a confusing story line, I totally agree, and I'm the writer. It's one of those stories where it makes more sense the more you go on with it.
Thanks so much!




I want to see people turn and writhe; make them feel things they cannot see and sometimes do not know.
— Anna Held