Dawn Poetry 1

by Way2Dawn

Is it trivial to wait for love?
To pray to the heavens above?
Is it ridiculous to wait for the one?
The one that might not ever come?
Is it look down upon?
Is it frowned on?
Does it really matter?
If you might never have her?
As it kills you to grow sadder.
While your left without her.
Yet you still have hope in every day.
Like every waking morning in the month of May.
The sweet spring air.
Makes life all the more fair.
Yet there is alway one thing missing.
But you know that God is still listening.
So you wait for night to come.
So that Dawn my leave you numb.
Numb with anticipation.
That fate might make the declaration.
And their would be a celebration.
For she will be yours.
And you would be on all fours.
Thanking the lord.
As you hit floor
Transfixed by her beauty
For she is truly.
Now the pain is no more.
For she is now yours.
So is it trivial to wait for love?
After all you've read above?

animexfruits101 wrote a review...

It looks like I am not the only one who has to fix my punctuation also, as I was reading the comments :D Reading out loud does help, as my english teacher says, thats kind of why every time I write I poem, I would had to write over and over again, so I could read my revisions, and its kind of tiring too. D: So that's kind of why I don't write poems that much also so I do it mostly in my free time.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:07 am
Galerius wrote a review...

Hi Way2Dawn,

Listen to brainychic212. Usually, I hardly comment on punctuation within poems because it is the least important quality of a work, but here things are different. As she has said, if you keep throwing roadblocks in front of the reader's way, it's impossible to understand what the poem is trying to say. In the end, the reader simply gets frustrated at the obstructing punctuation and then leaves.

This is tripping over its own feet so badly that things are getting bloody. For starters, I'm not sure why you ended every single line with a severing punctuation mark; unless your goal was to cause the reader to almost stop reading halfway through, you've failed at whatever you were trying to do. It was only made worse by the forced rhyme.

Way2Dawn wrote:Is it trivial to wait for love?
To pray to the heavens above?
Is it ridiculous to wait for the one?
The one that might not ever come?
Is it look down upon?
Is it frowned on?
Does it really matter?
If you might never have her?

See, here it actually starts out okay. The first two lines have a kind of novelty about them, one that quickly deteriorates with each passing line. Have you ever experienced a car that starts and stops abruptly, over and over again? This is exactly the same. It's giving the reader a headache. What makes this even less impressive is the fact that the last two lines look like they should be one phrase, but in order to keep your pattern of nonsense questioning, you've for some reason divided it into two lines. This doesn't even make sense. Read it out loud to yourself and then realize that there's no flow at all.

As it kills you to grow sadder.
While your left without her.
Yet you still have hope in every day.
The sweet spring air.
Makes life all the more fair.
Yet there is alway one thing missing.
So you wait for night to come.
So that Dawn my leave you numb.
Numb with anticipation.
That fate might make the declaration.
And their would be a celebration.
For she will be yours.

More of the same. Why are you doing this? These half-sentences and start-stop format aren't helping at all. They only serve to make this piece worse.

And you would be on all fours.
Thanking the lord.
As you hit floor
Transfixed by her beauty
For she is truly.

For she is truly... what? Beautiful? Of course she is, considering you said that exact thing ("transfixed by her beauty"). Basically, this poem is now attempting to rhyme and question by repeating itself. Again, I have no idea what purpose this is trying to evoke, but it's not working.

Now the pain is no more.
For she is now yours.
So is it trivial to wait for love?
After all you've read above?

More of the same. The main problems in this poem are that it has absolutely no flow and that it focuses too much on rhyme. Imagery is also neglected, but that's a story for another day. For now, get rid of every question mark and period. Then arrange the sentences in a way that, if you read it out loud, makes sense and sounds good. Don't bother rhyming right now, since you can't do it well.

Then, you may add punctuation as you see fit. Conventions of grammar should follow the flow and exchange of ideas within a piece of literature (poetry especially), not the other way around.

Hope that helped,
Galerius

Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:07 am
babygirl12 wrote a review...

Very good point.
And i believe that it is worth the wait (as you put in your poem).
It is very well put, and honest. I like it. :)
Keep up the good work.

-BG-

brainychic212 wrote a review...

Hi! I'm going to review your poem! :)

Let me start by saying that this poem just about sums up something that I'm going through right now(except I'm a girl and the subject of the poem would be a guy, for me). That's so interesting that I just happen to choose this poem to read.

Now on to more important things...

Rhythm

I thought your rhythm was a little off in some places. It wasn't too noticeable to me, but it's something you should watch out for. Just try reading the poem out loud, if you don't already do that, and see if that helps.

Punctuation

You don't need to put a period at the end of every line. I know punctuation is very important in poetry but not every line is a sentence.

Tiny Nit Picks

That fate might make the declaration.
And their would be a celebration.

This should be there.

As it kills you to grow sadder.
While your left without her.

This should be you're. No biggie. :)

My Overall Thoughts
In general, I really liked your poem. Like I said before, it parallels with something I'm experiencing now. I think it's really good when someone can write a poem about a topic that many people go through(like love) without it sounding cliché, which is exactly what you've done here. Good job! Keep it up!

Layla wrote a review...

Hello!!
I'm Layla, I really like this. It's very unique actually.
Okayy, on to the review. Uuum, despite the very powerful message in this poem, it's just a little bit choppy in some parts. You have some short stanzas and then you have longer ones. It's not a big deal to where you have to change it or anything but just watch put for that in your next piece or something, okay??
I hope I helped!! If you would like me to review your other pieces or something, or you need some advice, PM me. I'm here to help!!
<3;
Layla

You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind