z

Young Writers Society



Monochrome

by WaterVyper


“Hello,” you say. I don’t look up. I just keep staring at the book my hands, the small, leather bound volume. You frown and try again. “Hello?” Your voice is a little bit louder this time, a little bit more worried. Still, I don’t look at you. I can’t look at you, but you don’t seem to understand. I want to sigh.

“…Three hundred and sixty five,” I murmur. You raise an eyebrow, the thin line of black forming a delicate arch.

“Excuse me?”

“Three hundred and sixty five days.”

“Yes, that’s how many days there are in a year, am I right?”

“Yes, Lindsay, that’s right. Three hundred and sixty six on a leap year.”

“Why are you saying these things? Is there something wrong?” You look up at me, trying to get me to respond. I shift a little, just to make sure that my mop of white hair is all that you’ll be able to see.

“No, nothing is wrong.”

“What are you reading?” Trying a different approach, hm? I’ve seen this trick used so many times now. I’m not going to fall for that one, Lindsay. Better luck next time. If there is a next time. So many things to do, and I have so little time to do it.

“Oh, nothing much.”

“Right.” Your voice is disappointed, and if I knew what you looked like, I would imagine a crestfallen face. However, as I can’t see your face, I’ll settle for hearing your voice. It’s as good as, in my book. No pun intended, of course.

We settle into comfortable silence, and I enjoy it. I scan pages three hundred and six to three hundred and seven. These seem to be just like the other entries; nothing peculiar about any of them. None of the names mean anything to me.

Jamie Edwards, aged 18. Cause of Death: Car crash. Place of Death: Vancouver, Canada. Time of Death: 18 29, Sunday, 21 December, 2008.

Danielle Parkinson, aged 6. Cause of Death: Drowning. Place of Death: London, England. Time of Death: 18 29, Sunday, 21 December, 2008.

Lindsay Kingston, aged 14. Cause of Death: Broken neck. Place of Death: Miami, Florida. Time of Death: 18 30, Sunday, 21 December, 2008.

I don’t read further. I want to say, “Lindsay, you’re going to die tomorrow at six thirty in the evening. Don’t go to Miami,” but I can’t form the words. I’m not supposed to, anyway. Nobody is supposed to know about their death in advance. You look up me.

“Are you alright?”

“J-just fine, Lindsay,” I force out. I want to look at you, see your face for the first time. Funny. I’ve known you for quite a while, longer than most, and I don’t know what you look like. I resist the temptation. It will be harder tomorrow if I look.

“Alright then. I’ll be going to Miami tonight. I’ll see you soon.” You get off the bench, stretch, and wave to me. I don’t wave back. You turn around and jog away, your figure getting smaller and smaller.

Finally, I raise my head. I see nobody in front of me and a brilliant red sky. The vibrant green of the leaves and grass surround me, the rich brown of the bench, the vivid yellow of the blossoms. The trash can beside me is a shade of blue, the bag inside it black. The sun is a flaming golden disc, slowly slipping below the ground.

I raise an ancient hand, gnarled like the bark of the elm tree to my left. The air around it fades in color, turning black and white and shades of gray. Slowly, the color spreads. First, the bench. Then the grass, the trees, the pond, sky, people, animals, everything. And then me.

The birds freeze in the sky, and the sun stops sinking. The trees stop swaying and freeze in their position. People stop moving, stop speaking. Time freezes. I alone continue to move, flicking another page. Another page of names in print. The world around me is black and white, just like me. But I move, I breathe, I live.

A life in monochrome doesn’t seem so bad.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 174 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
565 Reviews


Points: 1395
Reviews: 565

Donate
Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:28 pm
View Likes
Stori says...



Awesome! It reminds me of a story I read on Writers BBS; I forgot the title just now.




User avatar
2058 Reviews


Points: 32885
Reviews: 2058

Donate
Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:26 pm
View Likes
Emerson wrote a review...



This is interesting but also incredebly strange. I'll begin the critique. ^_^

I just keep staring at the [s]booking[/s] book in my hands,
Is this what you meant?

In the seventh paragraph you say "You look up at me" which seems really strange because earlier the narrator wouldn't look up at her - so who is on the higher eye level, and who is looking up at who?

You use the second person (You drove your car, You left) which is an interesting point of view, but annoying and difficult to actually do well. I'm also not sure if it helps any of your story, or if that's just the way you decided to write it. You could do the same thing in just first person, and calling the character Lindsay.

Like I said before, this is interesting, and it is, but it leaves me confused. At first I didn't know how the two people knew each other, or their names or anything, but I sort of let that go. All the same, I'm still lost on that. Who are these people and how do they know each other? Are they best friends, relatives, enemies, lovers? It would say a lot more about your narrator if he let his sister die, rather than his enemy, so maybe you should explain that. Also the general book of death thing...It's fascinating, but I'm still confused. Is your narrator death? And what the heck is going on at the end? It sounds cool but it hardly makes sense. I think you should develop the characters more to make the idea stronger. Since your story doesn't exactly have a conflict, something in it needs to be strong, and perhaps that should be the characters. I say "doesn't exactly" because Lindsay's death could be a conflict - but you don't let it get to that point.

Also, why don't you explain where they are more? The setting, I mean. You said they were on a bench or something, and then when you did the scene at the end I thought they were in a park or something. If you explain the setting before that, it might be less confusing later on.

Good luck!





This is a message to all you out there. You don't have to be the fastest writer. You don't have to write 2000 words in one sitting. But if you put your mind to it and really love your project, you can and will get further along than you ever thought possible.
— FireEyes