12+

The Girl Who Became an Island

by Wasabi

There once was a lonely god, who had created countless worlds. Every time, the worlds crumpled into tiny, sharp pieces, and the god himself didn't know why. He cried for a long time, wandering, unseeing, yet still created another world, thinking that the last one was a dream. 

In each world that he made, he found a tree, a pond, a mountain, where people would whisper and yell wishes. The god never ignored the words of his creations. Whatever was spoken to him, he listened. He granted everything to everyone. Then the wishes built up, turned to pleas, suspicions, accusations. So the god would be driven out. 

One time, the god was sitting in a tree. It was where he met a girl, who didn't have an eye. Like a breeze, the girl whispered that she would like her eye back. It was burned horribly in an accident, and she now spent every day crying, miserable. The god didn't think much about it, and he reached out to give the girl a new eye. 

The girl didn't want to get more. She didn't ask about what the god was, or where he had come from. She simply stared and left. Then the next day, she returned, and soon enough, began a conversation. 

It was the first time that the god had talked to anyone, except for to listen to their wishes. He began to smile. And every day, he waited for the girl.

Another day, a man found the tree. He was an empty being who had run out of tears some time ago. Kneeling, he wished for rain. A rain that would erase everything. And the god hesitated, but still listened. 

As the god sat beneath the tree, watching his world end, the girl found him one last time. As she began to dissolve with the rain, she told the god to only listen to people's last wishes. Something that they uttered as they died. Things that they had lost, or wanted. Things that had only ended at a simple wish, filled with pain and longing. 

Then the girl said, smiling, that she would like to be a small island without a name. An island filled with those wishes. She wanted to remain there, not disappearing, not crumbling, for the god to visit whenever he felt like crying.

The god granted her wish. 

Later, sitting on the small island, he looked around at the blooming, colorful flowers, the green grass, and an endlessly blue ocean. He thought about many things, laying limp on the grass, then cried. Cried. Cried. 

He decided to become one of the blue flowers that grew next to him. He didn't want to make any more worlds, or destroy one. He wanted to wait for the time when he would be healed, until everything would feel peaceful once again. To wish for happiness one more time, waiting for a day in the future that would never come. 

And the god faded into a small flower. It never died, or grew. Sleeping quietly, the god listened to the last wishes of countless voices. And he brought them onto the island, just as the girl had wished.

The first wish was of a man, who had wanted to die after everything that he cared for left before him. On the island, he had the power to make miracles. If he wished for a long time, and strongly, he could make the grass last through winter. And until the island disappeared, he knew that he would remain on it. 

The second wish was from a small girl, who had been born in an unfortunate stretch of time. She danced for deities, and lived inside a small, dirty building without anybody else. Then, one day, she was drowned in the sea as an offering to a deity. Another girl was supposed be offered instead, yet for she was rich and more beautiful, another girl with the same-colored hair had been chosen. As she died, the small girl wished to be born as a boy, so that she could live more freely as herself, and not be a copy of anybody else. 

On the island, she was born as a boy, with smiles that never left his face, and a tendency to love walking and drawing. Yet, although even himself didn't know why, he would despise going near the sea. So he stayed deeply shrouded in a mountain. 

Other than the two, countless others came and stayed. But some did leave. If they did something that would go against their dying wish, they would dissolve into a fine powder of opal. 

And, amongst all the leaving and arriving, the blue flower stayed where it was, silent. It watched the island, and listened to the wishes. Then another soul would soon arrive. 

It was a small, imaginary island, brimming with made-up satisfaction, yet full of happiness with a name of comfort; a world too beautifully made, enough for the beauty to mean grief. 

And there would always be a god, blaming himself, clawing at the bleeding wound on his chest, lost in-between dream and reality. 

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:51 am
PickledChrissy wrote a review...

Heya, Chrissy here for a review!

Well, this is unusual. :D Kinda cool. Looking at it, I don't really see anything that needs to be fixed, but I will go through see if I can find anything.

lonely god,

Some people say to capitalize the word God. Then some say not too, if you are talking about a made up God. I did miss it, when I was reading, though that may just have been me. Just pointing this out, not really as a mistake, but as something you need to consider. With so many different opinions flying around, it's really up to you. Sorry for not being more helpful.

The god didn't think much about it, and he reached out to give the girl a new eye.

This happens too fast. You need to spend just a little more time on it. Say something about her reaction, describe her eye returning to normal.

cried. Cried. Cried.

Change the last Cried to And Cried. Just cried is kinda clunky.

into a fine powder of opal.

This is awesomely cool. :D

Well, I found more than I thought I would, when I first saw it, but I loved everything I read. It was sad, beautiful, and utterly original.

Keep Writing! :D

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:12 am
ChiravianSkies says...

Er, sorry. I didn't mean to doublepost. :/

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:11 am
ChiravianSkies wrote a review...

Man, Wasabi. I think I teared up a bit. The story's very whimsical, and the god, because of the girl, doesn't get driven out. It's liek something clicked in his head with the girl's dying wish. It's actually really cute, how even though the time is short, he begins to grow onto the girl, and then listens to her. Dying wishes all on a single island is a very original idea. Your grammar was impeccable as well and I didn't see a single typo. Please keep writing! :D

AttackOfTheFlash wrote a review...

Happy Review Day! Flash here for a review.

I didn't see any grammatical errors here. Good job on that! However, while on the topic of technical errors I did notice that your sentences have *way* too many commas. It's nit-picky, I know, but perhaps you could try to shorten them a bit. Too many commas lead to comma splices (and essentially run-ons) so nobody wants that.

Honestly, that's the only mistake I found in this work. (Which I do know that the reviews below me have also pointed out some things.)

Now, let's talk about the story itself. I really loved it! It was whimsical and rather charming. It reminded me of a fable, or even a story that people who lived in a fantasy universe would tell their children. I especially love the last line!

Well, that's all from me. Good story and keep writing!
~Flash

mephistophelesangel wrote a review...

Hey, Wasabi! What a good day to write a review!

So frankly, I loved this idea. It was so original and kind of childish, almost, like a short fairytale, as a lot of other reviewers mentioned. For a moment, it pulled me into this blurry... dream-like world. It was really awesome, and I'll definitely be coming back to re-read it.

Actually, I didn't see any major grammar errors that popped out at me as I read, so I won't do that. If you don't mind, let me go over some things that I absolutely loved.

I don't exactly know why, but this makes me feel really, really sad. I just get this mental image of this little kid playing with lego blocks, but every time, the lego blocks fall down. And the kid is just sitting there in front of the mess, like, not doing anything, confused. And about the part in which the god thinks that it was all a dream... that brings a certain feeling to my mind, like nostalgia, almost. I don't know why, I think I'm a weird person.

The god never ignored the words of his creations. Whatever was spoken to him, he listened. He granted everything to everyone. Then the wishes built up, turned to pleas, suspicions, accusations. So the god would be driven out.

I really like the concept that a god can be 'driven out' of his own world that he made. It's really creative. And I really don't want to be copying Dracula, but it does remind me of today's prayers. I mean, who really thinks about how the god feels when they pray to him?

At this part, I was like, 'OH YES I UNDERSTAND NOW' because I was thinking about the title the entire time as I read. It was really interesting, because I was really intrigued and confused at the same time when I read the title. Nice work on that!

I'll just leave it at this. I read the rest of your stories, and they're just, wow, so good. Keep on writing!

Happy review day, Mephis

Dracula wrote a review...

Hello, Wasabi! Happy Review Day. :)

As soon as I saw the title I knew that I had to read this. I love fantasy, fairytale sorts of stories so I can't wait to read about the girl who became an island. I also know, just by the name, that it's going to be fantastic. Here I go...

*reading*

This reminds me of prayer today. People ask for things they don't need, or do not consider others in their prayers.

The girl didn't want to get more.
This sentence isn't written in your fantastic fairytale style. Try rewording it. I suggest something like, she didn't pester him for information.

And the god hesitated, but still listened.

As the god sat beneath the tree, watching his world end, the girl found him one last time.

I'd like more description between these two paragraphs. What actions did the god make to create the rain? What did it look like? I suggest you do the same for the creation of the island.

This is seriously amazing! I can't even describe how much I love this story. I can definitely imagine this as a folk tale, being told around campfires by generations after generations. It's amazing and has an awesome plot. Well done!!!

Firelight wrote a review...

Fire here for a review!

You make my job really easy cuz' there's nothing to fix in this story! :) I love it! The style of writing is almost poetic or dream sounding. I liked how the story was sort of sad in the beginning but all the problems were solved in the end. The ending sentence was really sharp and left an imprint, which I liked as well.

Overall, great story :)

Happy Review Day!!

Apricity wrote a review...

Hello Wasabi, happy review day! Flite here for a review. First off, I really like the idea that you've written about here. It's good to see something different once in a while, and this story is vaguely philosophical as well. So, bonus points there.

Anyways, I'll get on with my review.

Your story takes on a very tale-like fashion, the old traditional around-the-fireplace-tone, which isn't a bad idea. Though it doesn't allow much description, so some of these sentences falls flat. Take a look at the first paragraph, the world crumpled into tiny, sharp pieces. This imagery here doesn't quite flow for some reason, why tiny and sharp?

Moving onto the second paragraph, hmm, I don't quite understand the reason for this god to create gods. Why must there be a pond, a mountain in each and every world? If he is the god, he should be omniscient. Why would he be driven out? Is this world created specifically for wishes, because at the moment, that's what it seems like.

Then the next day, she returned, and soon enough, began a conversation.

I'm not much of a grammar nazi, but even to me this sentence has way too many commas. In fact you don't even need commas here. Though saying she 'began' a conversation implies that this was a singular conversation. I would actually go and elaborate a bit more on how she came that day, show us a bit more about this girl and who she is. Make us relate to her. To the god himself.

I felt that this story felt apart after the god became a blue flower, I'm actually far more interested in the thought progress that occurred in the god's mind, and the interaction between the girl and the god as in what did they talk about and how that affected him. Rather than what happened after, because the latter part of this is very disjointed. You've told us different snippets of different wishes that is quite touching, thought I fail to see the relation between that and the previous part.

The ending too, was somewhat confusing since I'd think that the god would have reached some kind of understanding with himself and his world. Anyways, my main critic for this story is that there isn't much character insight into the him. I feel that we as readers have been set too far away, so some insight into the god itself would be great. And I detected that there isn't a singular theme coming on, the story itself speaks of multiple messages so your narration seems loose. I would concentrate on one theme and base your story around that.

That being said, I still think this is a rather lovely idea. If you've got any questions, please feel free to ask me.

-Flite

ehobby wrote a review...

Hello Hello!
I'm Emily and I'll be kicking off review day by reviewing your work!

First let me say that I absolutly love your writing style. Its etheral yet childlike (in a good way), and makes everything seems dream-like and technicolor. It beautiful, but be careful that your sentences don't get too jarbled. For example:

"Another girl was supposed be offered instead, yet for she was rich and more beautiful, another girl with the same-colored hair had been chosen."

It seems slightly repetitive with the "another girl", and the sentence iself is confusing. With this style of writing, it helps to stick to the extremes, either intentionaly long or intentionally short sentences. Make sure that you can get our point across. The only time the reader should be questioning is when you want them to be.

Overall, I love your short and writing style. I really want to read more of your stuff.
Keep writing! Good job and good luck.

Poetry lies its way to the truth.
— John Ciardi