Crystal Valley

by Wanderer777

“Maxenne, go take the fish up to town. You shouldn’t always have to be told. Once a week, that’s all we ask of you,” Havi ordered her daughter from the small kitchen of the house.

“Yes Havi, I’ll get right to it! Just be patient!” Maxenne called from her room in irritation.

“Tell Lord Thidon that Maxenne! Get out there now!” Havi shouted.

“Malto, why doesn’t anybody else have to do this stupid job? I do it every week and what? A sticking Adu a damn week not even.”

The big dog rolled onto his back, stuck his tongue out and drooled all over the wooden floor, staring at his mistress. Maxenne rolled her eyes at her dog and sighed.

“Why don’t you roll over when I tell you to? Oh well…stupid dog. Why don’t you come too, Malto? You can ride in the wagon,” Maxenne told the wolf-dog. “Besides, Cackle is coming.”

Malto scrambled to his feet and panted in her face. Maxenne pushed the dog away as his foul breath wafted into her face.

“Good boy,” she laughed. She stood up and smoothed out her skirt. She clasped her hands together and looked around. “Where is that pesky dragon anyways?”

She heard cackling sounds and turned to face her window. There was a little bronze dragon the size of a cat perched on the windowsill, eyes swirling brown.

“There you are. Why didn’t I ask you? Well you always say yes so don’t get snappy at me,” the girl said to the dragon. “All right, both of you out. If Havi catches you in here during the day, I’m dragon food.”

She pointed to the window, staring at her dog. Cackle floated back out and Malto climbed out with a helpful push from his mistress.

“Maxenne! Are you going? I don’t know why it takes you forever to do something. You could have left town by now!” Havi yelled, getting angry with her daughter’s laziness.

“Yes I’m going mother!” Maxenne responded. She closed the window, grabbed her sky blue cloak and ran into the kitchen.

“There you are, sure took you long enough. Now be careful and get out there,” Havi gave her daughter a brief hug. “Watch out for Langs too.”

Maxenne closed the door behind her and walked towards the docks. Lords Cove, the most boringest town on the whole continent, she thought. All everyone did was fish, gut the fish, or load the fish into a wagon, taking it to Avalon to sell to the townsfolk. How these people could live here she did not know.

She had just turned nineteen in Januarus and she wasn’t allowed to move out. She longed for the day to leave, but Havi told her when she turned twenty she could leave. By that time she would be married to a fisherman, stuck here forever. She shook the negative thoughts from her head and breathed in deeply, smelling the salty air. She didn’t mind that smell but the fishy scent irritated her nose. Now the fresh smell of the mountains or the forest was welcoming.

As Maxenne neared the docks, she could hear the waves slapping against them and the fishermen shouting orders to the young lads.

“Hey Max! Guess vhat?” said a boy running towards her.

“Hey Karak. What?” inquired Maxenne. She kept walking and the boy trotted beside her.

“I saw a huge bronze dragon swimming in the ocean down the beach last night. The rider was on those humongous rocks, vatching his dragon swim. I think the dragon saw me,” Karak blurted out.

“Wow. Did the rider look in your direction?” Maxenne asked, amazed. The villagers rarely saw dragons on the beach. The dragons hardly ever visited the village, only when they were under attack or were doing check ups.

“No, thank goodness. I hate talking to strange people.”

“Dragonriders aren’t strange,” Maxenne scolded. “You’re lucky to have seen one when they weren’t working. But anyways, want to come to Avalon with me? Fish day again.”

“I’m afraid I can’t Max. Thidon vants me to clean the stables,” answered the blond haired boy, scratching his head. “Sorry.”

“It’s all right. Thidon isn’t very nice.” Maxenne then thought. “Trade yea jobs?”

“I’d love ta, but they’d know if ve traded. Thidon has spies everywhere.”

“You’re right. Well see yea Karak.” The girl waved good bye to her friend and went to the docks.

“There you are Max. I was wandering when ye’d be comin’. Epona’s all harnessed up and the wagon’s full,” a short man said, holding onto the reins of a dapple grey mare.

“Thanks Fred,” Maxeene replied, walking closer.

“What will you be doing with that money you’re saving up?” Fred questioned.

“I’m going to buy myself some reed pipes. They are so easy and fun to play.” Maxenne took the mares’ reins into her hands and stroked her thick neck.

“I could never get the hang of pipes. My fingers are too big,” Fred chuckled, waggling his fingers. “It doesn’t help when I’m missing a few. Havi teach yea?”

“Yea she did. She says I have to buy my own so…” Max giggled. Fred laughed with her and patted the horse on the neck. “Thanks Fred. See you later.”

“Be careful Max,” Fred responded, before he returned to his own work.

Maxenne led Epona down towards the wooden gate. She was just passing the well when she noticed Thidon, the lord of Lords Cove, standing by his house.

“Hey Maxenne, going to the market? Maybe you’ll meet somebody who likes a rotten fish,” sneered a girl with wild, frizzy red hair. Galada, Maxenne’s childhood enemy.

“Come over here and say that to my face you damn coward,” Maxenne retorted. Thidon rolled his eyes as the two bickered with each other. Once Maxenne stepped over the boundary line he would yell at her. And she knew that.

“No, you smell like a fish,” Galada replied. “Besides, I’m not a coward.”

“Then stop hiding behind your daddy.”

“Least I have one Maxenne!” Galada smirked.

Maxenne’s face went a deep red. She couldn’t force any words out of her mouth so she threw a fish, hinting the other square in the face.

“Maxenne!” roared Thidon, deciding it was time to yell.

She looked up at him. “Yes sir?” she asked, meekly.

“Say sorry to my daughter.”

“Sorry Galada,” Maxenne apologized. The red haired girl smirked and strutted off. Maxenne glared at her retreating back and added under her breath, “Not.”

“Why are you still standing there? Get going!” Thidon pointed a stubby finger at the large wooden gate.

Epona jumped at his loud voice. Max calmed the mare and continued on to the gate, hiding a smile. She found it amusing when Thidon pointed with the stub of the finger he lost. It didn’t even look like he was pointing. Many men here had missing fingers.

“Oh hey Max! You going to Avalon today?” A man called from atop the gate.

“Yes Flan. You think you can open the gate please?”

“What’s the magick word?”

“Wasn’t it please?”

Flan shook his head. “Sorry, I changed it.”

“What? Then how do I pass?” Max asked, pretending to panic.

“It’s pretty please. But I suppose I can let you pass. Just this once,” Flan answered laughter in his old voice. He turned the large wheel and the gate slowly began to open on quiet hinges.

“Thanks Flan!” She climbed up into the wagon and snapped the reins. Epona strained against her harness and the wagon began to move. The big wooden doors closed behind her. Responding to another tap of the reins, Epona started into a slow trot, going around the first bend in the road.

Ten minutes later Malto came barrelling out of the Forest and leaped lightly into the wagon beside Max. The girl laughed and patted the dog on the side. Cackle flew out, at a calm pace, and landed lightly onto Epona’s back, his usual perch.

Max started whistling as she rode down the path. She liked to go through the Forest, but she loathed going into town. There was way too many people there to her opinion, despite the fact they all made her head feel like a whole colony of bees lived in her skull. She tossed such thoughts out and started to think about singing.

Cackle loved to sing with her when she did. But Max rarely sang as Thidon didn’t tolerate it. But Max decided when she went on her rides, she would sing. So half an hour she asked the dragon.

“Cackle, what song should we sing?”

Cackle squeaked at being asked. He stared at her for a few moments and then trilled as he made his decision.

“That one? Alrighty then,” Max said. She swallowed and began to sing.

The fair lady Gerota went out riden-o!

She met an old peddler who whistled so gay-o!

He bowed to her and went on his way…oh!”

She stopped her horse and stared in front of her. A huge brown dragon was on the path. It’s head in the Forest and its hind quarters on the path, blocking her way.

“Okay st-stop. Back up s-so I can g-get up,” ordered a man’s voice. Max identified the man’s heavy accent as Duniden. “No, you’re in th-the w-way. If I try I’ll end up h-hitting y-you and y-your sc-scales are h-hard as r-rock. I’ll g-give myself a h-headache.”

Max held back a laugh. She heard the dragon grumble in its throat and it swished its very large tail. Epona backed up away from the dragon.

“It’s your f-fault I’m p-pinned under y-you. B-back up so I-I can sit up and s-so you c-can p-pull the damn l-log off. Don’t g-give me th-that look Ranth. St-stop it,” the man said. “All right f-fine, it’s m-my fault my l-leg is under the log b-but it’s not m-my fault that…s-say that again. What?! You’re st-stuck too?! H-how did you m-manage that?”

Max bit her lip to stop the laughter from bursting forth as she imagined the dragonriders plight. A giggle slipped and soon she was laughing.

“Our audience m-must think th-this is so v-very hilarious. Why d-don’t you g-go greet th-them?” The man suggested. “I know y-you’re stuck. Okay c-can you at l-least pick up y-your leg?”

Max saw the dragon shift. She figured it had picked up one of its forelegs.

“N-now pull the l-log off. L-let’s not w-wait for the grass t-to gr-grow. It’s n-not like w-we have all d-day,” the man went on. “Ouch! N-not that w-way! Towards y-you! Can’t do that can you? Where is Jacko wh-when you need h-him?”

Max knew the dragon had hurt its rider on accident. Suddenly she heard the soft voice of a female dragon in her head.

I’ll move my tail so you can pass. My rider’s leg is trapped under a log. He’s such a dope and sometimes I wonder why I Chose him, the dragon said.

I heard that Ranth, came the rider’s voice flatly.

Who cares? You are a dope when you do stupid things. And if it makes you feel any better I don’t regret Choosing you, the dragon responded.

Ididn’t’t do it on purpose!

Never mind that. We have someone waiting on us.

Max concentrated on speaking in her mind and found she could do it with ease.

Do you need my help? She inquired, timidly.

Um, maybe you can help us, the rider answered with much thought.

Like what?

Ignore him. He’s a bit big headed, the dragon chimed in.

Max snorted with laughter as the dragon spoke.

I am not full of myself thank you very much, the rider retorted dully. Um miss, if you’re headed to Avalon…could you talk to the dragonrider that’s there?

If he hasn’t left without us, the dragon teased. You should pay much more attention.

Do hush Ranth. He wouldn’t leave without us and you know it. He is probably with his bronze dragon or at the blacksmith.

That’s where he’ll be. Remember, his sword was broken in the last battle. He said he’d get it fixed whilst he waited for us.

What do I say to him sir? Max let a smile slip as she heard the two bicker with each other.

Sir? Oh…um…tell him his friend Charlie is in need of help on the path to Lords Cove. Please and thank-you. Oh and his name is Jack.

“Ouch! Ranth st-stop! That hurts y-you big brown brute!” the man cried aloud. “I’m s-sorry. Yes, of c-course I didn’t m-mean it. Just don’t t-touch the l-log.”

Can you do that please?

Max could sense the pain in his voice. She wondered how he had gotten his leg stuck in the first place.

Being stupid like I said, the dragon snickered, reading her thoughts.

Ranth!

Well it’s true and you know, the dragon pointed out.

I’ll get your friend for you. But how did you get your leg stuck? If you don’t mind my asking. Max was too curious. She just had to know.

I slipped. I was walking on this log and I slipped on the wet bark and I landed on the ground. The log fell from where it was and onto my leg.

Max grimaced at the thought of a log falling on top of someone.

It’s not as bad as it sounds. My leg is just trapped…and so is my dragon.

I didn’t do it on purpose, mimicked the dragon.

Max laughed and knew the dragon and her rider not only heard her out loud but in their minds as well.

I’ll tell your friend as long as I can pass. Could you move your tail please?

But of course.

The dragon’s tail moved as far as she could move it. Epona trotted forwards and once she was past the dragon put her tail back.

Thank-you. I…We appreciate your help.

You’re welcome sir.

She heard him groan in her mind when she said sir. But she wasn’t sure if it was from that or the pain in his leg.

Both.

Max smiled and clicked her tongue. Epona broke into a swift trot but soon changed her gait to a slow lope. Max left the man and dragon behind. Max was just trying to calculate time when it hit her. How had the dragon and her rider read her thoughts?

*******

Max rode into Avalon an hour later. The large white castle with its pointed towers and beautiful arches was built over the Star River at the edge of a cliff. There was four bridges, each separately placed among the castle, to cross or to let the water pass harmlessly underneath the white stones. The town square and the poorer folk resided on the southern side whilst the richer and the keep was placed on the north. There was only one entrance into the castle and that was from the south where two guards were always situated. Steam from the waterfall usually filled the streets. Most animals were cautious when crossing the bridges as there was no side railings to protect them from plunging to their deaths. It had happened a handful of times but still no law was passed for the railings to be set up.

The townspeople were quite proud of their city. When Avalon had been built the river hadn’t been as large as it was nowadays but the builders had built the city wisely. There was great views from almost every place of the large Mountains of Mourn or the Far Up Forest. Even the sunsets one could see were just as breathtaking. The real only downfall of Avalon was the fog that rolled off the mountains and that, that rose from the swift running river.

Epona was quite used to crossing the narrow strip of stone to enter the city. Max enjoyed looking over the side of the wagon into the churning water below. When they entered the large square Max saw, to her surprise, a large bronze dragon. She should have known he would be there, for the other rider said he was, but she couldn’t help be surprised. Max also knew enough to know this one was large for his age and was much bigger than the brown female on the road. The dragon looked over to her his eyes a vibrant blue.

“I think that’s the dragon,” she murmured to Cackle who had hopped onto her shoulder. He had been sleeping at the last encounter so he missed meeting the brown dragon. The lesser dragon chirped and made his loudest bugle at the large bronze. The bronze raised his head and trumpeted at the smaller one, startling the people all around, including Max. Epona jumped backwards in fright but soon calmed. Max smiled at the dragons and clicked her tongue. Epona plodded slowly to the place where she always stood when she came to Avalon.

Max grinned and jumped from the wagon. She quickly tied Epona to the hitching post there and glanced around herself. The buzzing sound was back. She shook her head with an irritated expression.

“Malto guard the wagon and Epona. People know I don’t start selling until ten and it’s…” Max glanced up at the huge clock at the cathedral. “Nine fifty five. If people come Malto and try to take the fish without paying, growl and show your teeth. But this time, don’t bite.”

Malto laid down and closed his eyes. Max knew he would guard the wagon. He was somewhat an obedient dog. Cackle wrapped his long tail around her neck and rubbed his small head along her cheek.

Max strolled towards the dragon, wondering what its rider looked like. She studied all the faces around the bronze and not one had the aura of a dragonrider.

“Can you sense if any of these people are the dragonrider?” Max whispered to Cackle. “Because I can’t.”

Cackle tipped his horned head to the right and his brown eyes swept over the crowd. After a minute he shook his head.

“All right little guy. To the blacksmith.”

Max forced herself through the thick crowds and finally made it over to the blacksmith’s little building. She sighed and entered the building.

It was a bit dim, but a roaring fire kept it bright. Max could already feel the heat from the fire. She studied the shop with intense curiosity. Swords were everywhere along with farmers tools and other metal objects including the blacksmith’s tools. The blacksmith was hammering on a sword when she walked in.

He looked up from his work and studied her for a few seconds before a smile crept onto his sweaty face. “Can I help you miss?” he asked a hint of amusement in his voice. His gaze drifted from her face to the small dragon on her shoulder. His eyebrows rose slowly as he studied Cackle.

“I was looking for someone. I was told he was bringing a sword in. The dragonrider,” Max responded, suddenly shy.

“Oh the young lad! He’s in behind the house. I asked him if he could help fix something in trade for me fixing his sword. He’s helping my son,” the man explained. “His sword is a lovely piece of work. Well balanced and everything.”

Max smiled and nodded. “Thank-you sir. Could I go back and talk to him or could you…?” she trailed off as a young man walked in. He was a handsome fellow with light brown hair and bright blue eyes.

She stared at him. He wore brown leather boots up to his knee, brown pants and a light brown tunic with a white shirt underneath. She also noticed a knife hilt sticking out of his boot.

“This young woman was looking for you young man,” the blacksmith said, gesturing to Max.

The dragonrider turned and smiled at her, though his eyes were confused. She had thought it was the blacksmith’s son and blushed underneath his gaze. He turned back to the blacksmith and they began talking. Max didn’t want to intrude on their conversation so she turned her attention to the swords hanging on the wall. Out of the corner of her eye she saw the dragonrider sheath the sword. He turned and walked over to her.

Max hadn’t thought the dragonriders were young. She thought they were all at least in their thirties but the man that stood before her looked to be in his early twenties or late teens.

“Outside?” he inquired. He had a slight Duniden accent.

Max smiled and nodded. He let her go first and followed her out. When they left the shop Max turned to him.

“Are y-you Jack?” she questioned.

He smiled. “Yes.”

Max sighed with relief. “I have a message from your friend Ch…” she paused. What was his name again? Cackle tightened his grip on her neck and crooned, earning a look from the dragonrider. “Charlie.” Thank-you little one.

Jack raised an eyebrow and Max let a giggle slip. “Like what?”

“He needs your help. He’s on the path to Lords Cove.”

Jack chuckled. “Do you know what he did?”

By his tone it seemed to Max that this Charlie got into trouble a lot. “As a matter of fact I do. He got his leg stuck under a log and his dragon is also stuck in the trees. I assume she was trying to help him out,” Max answered. She tried very hard not to laugh but couldn’t help but do so. “I’m sorry. They kept bickering with each other. I didn’t see him but he told me what he did.”

Jack let out a laugh. “Yes, they do that quite often. Bicker I mean,” he responded. “Thanks for telling me.”

“You’re welcome,” Max said. Cackle hissed at the dragonrider. He growled and unexpectedly snapped at him. Max flushed and silently scolded the lesser dragon. “I’m sorry he usually doesn’t do that.”

“That’s okay. He’s only protecting you from a stranger. He’s a beautiful little one,” Jack remarked. Cackle stopped growling and perked up. He straightened himself and crooned.

“Your dragon is dazzling. Even Cackle’s scales don’t gleam like that in the sun,” Max replied, smiling. Her dragon hissed with dismay, making the two laugh.

“There is a soap we use to wash their scales. It prevents them from cracking and it makes them smell better,” Jack told her. He then added with a smile in Cackle’s direction. “And shine. It’s called Lis. It has some type of fragrant oils in it.” He shrugged. “You can buy it in Madam Manency’s shop.”

“Oh! Thank-you. I was using oil from fish. That’s all I have. How much does the soap cost?”

Jack furrowed his brow in thought. “I think seven Adus. I’m not sure,” he responded.

“Seven Adus?” Max echoed. Her mind tried to think about how much she had saved up. She wasn’t to sure she had that much.

“You know what? For telling me about Charles I’ll give you the Adus to buy the soap,” Jack spoke up, taking note of her thoughtful look. He handed her the money.

Max shook her head and tried to hand them back. “No you don’t have to. But I appreciate it,” she responded.

“No, you take them. Anyone who helps my troublesome friend needs to be repaid.” Jack put the small coins into her hand and closed it. “Keep them. I insist.”

“Oh. Okay. Th-thank-you.” Max put them into a pocket of her dress. “I still say you didn’t have to.”

Jack laughed. “What’s y---” he began but was cut off by the loud tolling of the clock signalling ten o’clock.

“Oh no,” Max muttered.

“What?”

“I got to get to work. I have the wondrous job of selling fish for my stupid town.” Max rolled her eyes in disgust. “I should go. It was so very nice to meet you Jack. And thank-you for everything.” She gave him a smile and began to walk into the crowd of chattering people.

Jack saw her leaving and he thought of his unspoken question. “Wait!” he called.

Max turned and looked at him. “Yes?”

“What’s your name?”

“Maxenne Rulon. But call me Max if you want to. Everyone else does,” Max replied. Malto barked from the wagon. Max winked at the dragonrider and ran into the crowd. She raced over to her wagon and arrived to see Malto growling at a young boy.

“Malto!” she snapped. Malto turned to her and gave her a small woof. “Good boy.” She then turned to the boy and smiled kindly. “Do you have two Adus?”

He nodded and held out a shaking hand to her. She took the money and handed him one of the largest fish in the wagon. He smiled at the fat fish.

“I thank-you lady,” he said. He then took off into the crowd returning to his house to his awaiting mother.

The girl glanced over at the large bronze dragon and saw Jack buckling the straps to his legs. The dragon opened his large leathery wings and sprang into the sky, pushing off the stone ground with powerful legs. He flapped them, rising over the walls and towers and disappeared as he flew off.

Max didn’t have time to think about the dragon or his rider for people started swarming around her wagon wanting to buy fish or young merchants who came to speak with her. She always smiled at them but never spoke. They were all just looking for a housewife to care for their children and she wanted no part in their conversations.

As she sat waiting for more customers she took note of two elderly women walking towards her, baskets in hand and chattering about dragonriders. Max perked up to hear more. She knew she shouldn’t be eavesdropping but she just couldn’t help.

“Did you know that the strapping young dragonrider who was just here is only nineteen?” said the grey haired one.

“No I didn’t,” responded the red head. They continued to move closer to the wagon.

“Yes and his friend, the Piyer, is still eighteen,” the first one went on. “His birthday is in Septulus. It’s what, Mayus?”

“Yes, but where did you hear all this Ruthy? I know for a fact you’ve never went to Crystal Valley,” the second remarked. “And did you say a Piyer? I haven’t seen one of them in many a moon. I didn’t know they were still about.”

“Sindi. She’s lived in Crystal Valley for almost twenty years and gets the young dragonriders to bring her to Avalon to get things. She says they were all so well brought up,” Ruthy answered. “Though she did tell me that the Piyer is a troublemaker, always getting on the headwoman’s nerves.”

“I’m sorry to interrupt, but what is a Piyer?” Max questioned. Many people in Lords Cove said there were only Cyrils. Only Tyants existed to them the others did not.

“It’s all right dear. They aren’t too common and many of the young folk don’t know about them. But a Piyer is…how can I explain this Ruthy?” the second woman asked.

“They are one of the races Created by Mulka the Mighty. They have black hair, bright blue eyes and their skin is always a tannish colour. They all have a love for all growing things, like flowers, plants, etc. Plus they all smell of some lovely plant. Am I right Jena?”

“That sums it up. But they are so rare. Some folk believe they all sailed over seas but I believe they are still in Orathia,” Jena responded. The elderly women ratted on about the all the dragonriders of Crystal Valley. Max didn’t think she could learn so much about Crystal Valley from two old women. She learnt that most of the dragons were too old to lay eggs while the younger ones were too young. Plus the fact that there were only seventeen dragons left, which made Max’s heart cry: Only seventeen? What is happening to this world of ours?

The old women soon left and were soon replaced by two young ladies who came to buy fish. They were saying how handsome the young merchants were, the dragonrider who was there today, the blacksmiths son and on and on.

Max got tired of them ratting on about all the cute men in Avalon and was relieved when they left. Soon all the fish were gone and Max pocketed the last of her fish money. She told Malto to guard the wagon again and went off with Cackle to find Madam Manencys’ shop. With the help of a town guard she soon found it. It was right beside the tavern called the Cat and Cheese. Max thought the name was quite amusing. Cackle chirped in agreement.

Max pushed the small buildings door open, making a bell ring. It smelt of burning sage and it was just a little dim inside. She moved through the things scattered about and went to a counter covered with a dark purple cloth.

“Hello?” she called.

“Welcome my dear, how can I help you on this day?” A woman appeared in front of the counter. She was short, skinny with icy blue eyes. She didn’t have a wrinkle on her face but one could tell she was old. She had light purple hair that was turned up into a bun. Max wondered what race she was.

“Someone recommended a soap that you sell for cleaning a dragons scales,” Max responded. Cackle nodded his head. The woman eyed the girl and the dragon facing her before she smiled.

“Young Jack?” She asked after a minute.

Max was surprised. How had she known it was he? “Uh…yes ma’am. It was he,” she answered.

The woman nodded her head. “A good soul that one. Yes I have some Lis left. What scent would you like?”

Max pursed her lips in thought. “What scents are there?” she inquired.

“No fish scents if you were wondering.” The woman smiled oddly.

Max couldn’t help but shiver under her icy blue eyes. “That’s good.”

“Let me see.” She turned and went to a large wooden shelf and began to pull small white bricks off. She returned to the counter and set them down. She then spread them out. “This one here is lavender, mint, clove, bergamot, clary, sage, thyme and citronella. You’re choice and you may smell them.”

Max picked them up one by one and sniffed them. She also let Cackle smell the ones she liked. “No lavender? Okay how ‘bout mint? No? Clary? No? Come on you have to pick one,” she said to the dragon.

Cackle slithered off her shoulder and onto the counter. He went from each soap bar to the next. After sniffing them three times he chose citronella.

“Citronella?” Max groaned. She hadn’t liked the scent. “I don’t want to be stuck with a stinky lizard.”

Cackle bared his teeth and sat on the soap. Max rolled her eyes and pulled out the seven Adus. “I guess we’ll take it,” she said. “Thank-you.”

The woman nodded and took the coins. “You’re welcome. Hope you enjoy it. And think about it this way, you‘ll have no mosquitoes bothering you.” She took the other soaps into hand and returned them to the shelf. Max picked up the soap and went outside.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:54 pm
Wanderer777 says...

Hey thanks. I know I gotta work on the beginning and feel free to give me tips on how to do that. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:08 pm
splash13 wrote a review...

I like this very much indeed!
The beginning needed something more to hook my interest and reel me in, but the rest is very good at doing that. I am curious to see what Max will do next, can not wait for more! This was a great read. Thank-you and good luck.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:10 am
Wanderer777 says...

Well, Havi is quite a nag and Galada is an irattating person. I wasn't trying to make the reader feel sorry for Max, it was merely a way to get her out of the house and don't parents usually nag their children to do things? And no, sorry Arashi, the dragons don't people, it's against their rules lol. And I'll post more so you can find out what happens next :wink: .

Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:25 am
Griffinkeeper wrote a review...

I just couldn't slug it out.

In the beginning, with all the parental nagging, you focused on the nagging.

Why?

Usually when movies or books have nagging, they use the nagging to move their character around the house/business/place. In this way, they can introduce us to the world these people live in. For each piece of dialogue, you should have at least one line describing what the character is doing and where the character is.

If you need an example of this, here's one:

"Grif! Come and set the table!" Grif's mom yelled from across the house. Grif stopped typing and paused the music that was playing on his computer.

"All right Mom!" Grif said, getting up from his seat. He jumped over the clutter on his floor and ran down the hallway to the kitchen. He came to a sudden stop in the kitchen, nearly knocking into his mother and a container of mashed potatoes.

"Grif! Stop running in the house!" yelled his Mother.

"Sorry Mom," Grif said with a grin. "What's for Dinner?"

When you do nagging alone, it seems like a poor attempt to make the reader feel sorry for the character. Instead, we just want to strangle her.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:45 am
Arashi wrote a review...

Hahaha it didnt bother me lol great story I liked how you got it going. I HATE Galada lol down with Galada I hope she gets eaten by a dragon lol Is Jack one of the old races? Tell me she leaves that smelly town and goes on an adventure :)

Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:14 am
Wanderer777 says...

This story really has no chapters just yet. I thought I'd deal with all that when I finished. So feel free to criticize it. Thank-you! :lol:

I'm getting nachos~
— BluesClues