Human

by WallFlower

So it was true.

He looks at the tiny form sprawled in the dirt. Her hair is matted, her eyes closed blissfully. She could be sleeping.

He knows she isn’t.

He isn’t usually an emotional person. He’s seen enough of these— things— to remain unaffected for the most part. Usually he gets what he needs and gets out. That's the only way, he’s told himself. The only way to survive in this world. It has worked. He is alive, he is breathing, he is unaffected.

But she is dead.

There should be tears. He should be appalled at the gash that adorned her temple. He should touch her blond curls, mourning the loss of someone so young. He should fall to the ground in grief at the senseless loss of life.

Should …

But he doesn’t. He can’t. He has to get what he needs and leave.

Carefully, slowly, agonizingly he lifts up the hem of her Hello Kitty shirt. Her stomach was bruised, beaten from the pale white that her mother had thought was perfect to hideous shades of black and blue.

There. The cut runs up the length of her right side. He spreads the opening with a gloved finger, like every other time. Only this is different than every other time.

He should be weeping.

He can feel it. Just like all the others. A small disk in a plastic case. He grips the edge in his fingertips and pulls, slowly. It slided out with ease, her blood not yet dried.

He would take the disk back to his apartment and watch it, just like all the others. He would remember that he should be sickened by what was on it. Remember what it was like to be human.

He doesn’t think he can be human, not after…

With the bloody disk safe in hand, he turns to leave the small patch of woods. The park is deserted this late at night. Of course it is.

These things are always planned so perfectly.

He is nearing his car when the shaking starts, finally. The blood on his hands is more than literal, marring his heart and his mind with its gruesomeness. He needs to wash it off.

It’s the first human thought he’s had in months. Years. Lifetimes.

The blood is gone when he finally gets in the car. The disk is clean, as well. His heart is a dark, tainted hole.

It never quite hits him. He never lets it really sink in. What he’d just done. What he’s about to do.

She was his daughter.

At least, she was when he still felt human enough to have one.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:18 am
gallifreygal11 wrote a review...

I really love this vignette! It is a vignette righ? The descriptions and imagery is brilliant! The way you describe every single moment! He looks at the tiny form sprawled in the dirt. Her hair is matted, her eyes closed blissfully. She could be sleeping. This bit is fantastic! The way you describe her appearance is just perfect. The "She could be sleeping" so wonderful! It's like he's hoing for something that will never be true. And how you talk about being "human." The symbolism in that is perfect! When you find out she was his daughter I almost cried! I LOVE IT! PLEASE WRITE MORE OF THIS! The blood is gone when he finally gets in the car. The disk is clean, as well. His heart is a dark, tainted hole. that bit is AMAZING too! If this is the prologue to something I NEED MORE! If it's a vignette PLEASE WRITE MORE!

WallFlower says...

Thanks for the review!!

I had to look up what a vignette was :P So yes, I guess this would be a vignette of sorts. I'm hoping to write more of his story, so keep an eye out :)

recreating says...

Yes, i know. In that case, i would label it as a prologue. It's fantastic!

recreating wrote a review...

This is amazing. I loved the attention grabbing quality of it. I was very interested from the very beginning, which is always something that i enjoy. I also love the slight vagueness of it. It makes it even more interesting. I enjoyed the style, and i like your stylistic choices, so i don't really have notes. They were not all complete sentences, but i'm pretty sure that it is a stylistic thing. Are you continuing the story? You should, and if you are, you should have an indicator of it. Also, i think that you should continue on this document a bit more. That could just be me wanting to read more, but it is just so beginning-like. I feel that there should be more before you begin writing another portion. That is just my opinion.

WallFlower says...

Thanks so much for the review!

I am hoping to continue the story. I meant this as more of a prologue than a chapter, which is part of the reason it's so short. Also part of the reason it's somewhat vague. :) I didn't want to tell the story before I tell the story, you know?

fire_of_dawn wrote a review...

Whoa.

There aren't too many errors in this piece, so let's get to 'em first.

Only this was different then every other time.

It should be different "than" every other time. "Then" is a word that describes time, such as, "Things had been better back then."

He can feel it. Just like all the others. A small disk in a plastic case. He gripped the edge in his fingertips and pulled, slowly. It slid out with ease, her blood not yet dried.

Got a little mix-up with your tenses here. "Can", in the first sentence, is present tense while the rest of the paragraph is in past.

While we're on this paragraph I should mention that I'm fascinated by the disk. Why does his victim (and, seemingly, everyone else) have it inside her? Is society in this tale like the Borg- watching everything people do? I really hope you add more to it so that question can be answered.

I try to like your style in this piece, but truthfully the sentence fragments bother me. I'm not asking you to remove them all; just a few of them.

Overall, I find this piece intriguing and deeply disturbing- presumably just what you were aiming for. Again, please write more so we learn about the world he lives in, why he no longer considers himself human, and so on.

WallFlower says...

Thanks :) I'll fix the mistakes.

To explain all the fragments, I don't always write in that style, I just did it purposely this time because his thoughts are fragmented. Hope that explains it a little :)

pain is that feeling when you are feeling hurt, but it never goes away leaving me hurt. oh it hurts.
— Dragonthorn