Mature Content

INCOMPLETE

by WARDEN

The darkness pressed in, rushed in, crawled through their veins, chewing and tearing its nightmarish and overwhelming way through Aven. Their mind was swarmed, overfilled, bursting with a million images threatening to spill over in a violent cascade of molten, scorching hot and raw feeling– shards of agony, relief, regret, and joy, pierced and punctured every inch of their skin, white-hot static fizzing and crashing through them as they splashed haphazardly through the night. Lightmoth lanterns cast deep shadows across Aven's face, contrasting deeply with their skin as rain mingled with the tears on their cheeks. They strode towards home– was it home anymore?-- boots disrupting glassy puddles of water and cracking serene reflections of the lanterns lighting the city. Vile blackness slithered heavily through Aven as though it was their blood as they made their way towards their home. Sickening, cold, weighted void slid sluggishly through them, sharpening and multiplying the intense fragments of emotions already puncturing their being. The fierce wind swept their cloak around them in a midnight-colored whirlwind, lifting their hair and offering them a brief respite from the overwhelming and contrasting things and feelings wracking through them in the form of a cooling breeze.

The pressure grew too be too much as Aven neared the end of their hazy and haphazard journey home from Syren's palace. Dropping to their knees on the cobble, they vomited up a repulsive mix of their last meals, visions of scarlet blood and glimmering silver flashing through their brain, jumbled, chaotic noise accompanying the brief fragments of memory. They stayed there, sunk on their knees, chilly rainwater leeching its cold fingers through their clothes, and static memories staining their mind for an interminable amount of time. Not that it mattered, as time would soon have no meaning to them, if all went according to plan, but so far the odds did not seem to favor their already unfortunate existence. Aven examined their angular reflection in a shimmering puddle at their hands, unable to reconcile the figure they saw with what they knew themselves to be. Delicate, elegant features with graceful, violet-blue eyes stared back at them from the water, occasionally fractured by a lingering raindrop from the passing storm. Curled, inky strands of hair escaped from their carefully done look. Long, bejeweled ears framed their disheveled look. Aven's thin chest heaved as they fought off another wave of nausea that curled and pressed through their torso, nearly forcing itself out their throat. The gloomy, violent monster that had been previously chewing through their veins, trailing sickening darkness through their insides reared its ugly head once more, forcing Aven to brace their hands on the rounded cobblestones of the street. Guilt twisted and snapped through their gut, laced with traces of relief that the charade was up. There wouldn't be anymore pretending, faking, masquerading, lying after this. The game was up- the cat had caught the mouse.

The sharp edges of pain gripped firmly at their insides with stone claws, forcing them to draw their rain-soaked cloak closer around themselves, draping their elegant frame in the pitch-black fabric. They sat there in front of the puddle, knees drawn up and splayed out under them, cloak wrapped tightly around their thin build and rain dripping down their cheeks so like the hot tears that had burned tracks down their face earlier until an aching numbness set in. A chilling, frosty sensation that crept through them, slowly but surely lulling the agonizing flashes of memory and emotion to a dull noise. While the worst of the storm had let up, a fine mist still fell and casted a silvery hue to the familiar-yet-unfamiliar city of Syren as Aven journeyed home, covered in a variety of unpleasant liquids and freezing cold. The bone-chilling numbness settled thickly into their body as they trudged home, playing the exact opposite of the previous shredding violence that had torn through them. The gray sensation curled heavily around their bones, mind, everything, weighing them down and exacerbating the already existent chill from sitting half in a puddle for gods know how long.

The silvery mist seemed to have a life of its own, crawling up Aven's body and seeming to caress their face with foggy tendrils. The sensations– or lack thereof had thoroughly drained Aven at this point. They dragged themself through sheer will to a back alley, propping themself up in a corner and tucking their filthy robe around their long legs. The sheer exhaustion of living everyday caught up to them, intermingling with the foggy feeling dampening the searing and overwhelming emotions that had been coursing through them up until now. They frankly no longer cared if they woke up with a blade shoved in their chest, or worse. If the gods wanted Aven, they had decided the gods would have them. The odds were no longer beatable, feasible, possible. Sleepy, flat blackness crawled up their skull, dragging them into the waiting tendrils of sleep while they laid half-sitting-up in the dingy alleyway.

Spearmint wrote a review...

Hi there, mint here with a review! ^^ So, first off: your descriptions are amazing. The way you describe the wind and the rain, as well as Aven's appearance and mental state, really help me visualize the scene. And although not much in terms of action happened in this scene, I was able to gather that Aven's just gone through some kind of ordeal, and it looks like things have been revealed and plans have been set in motion. I'm definitely intrigued! The mention of gods also implies that this is a fantasy world, and I wonder if the blackness slithering through Aven is some kind of curse...
My main suggestion would be to cut back on the description (amazing as it is). The long paragraphs make this story a little intimidating, and as a reader, there's only so much description I can take before getting bored. Personally, this amount was fine for me; I was still very interested in reading more! But I'd suggest having less description and more action or dialogue in the future.

The darkness pressed in, rushed in, crawled through their veins, chewing and tearing its nightmarish and overwhelming way through Aven.

Just. Whoa. Strong start. 0.0 At first, I thought Aven was a city, and veins were referring to streets, so I was imagining a city being overtaken by a wave of violent darkness... But upon reading further, I realized that was not the case. xD The actual city, with its peaceful puddles and lanterns, is a sharp contrast to the storm raging inside Aven. I do wonder about the inconsistency in the outside weather, though? Because you mention "glassy puddles" and "serene reflections" in the beginning of the first paragraph, then describe a "fierce wind" near the end of the first paragraph. This is a small thing, though, and I'm assuming the wind just started up recently.

Dropping to their knees on the cobble, they vomited up a repulsive mix of their last meals, visions of scarlet blood and glimmering silver flashing through their brain, jumbled, chaotic noise accompanying the brief fragments of memory.

What exactly happened at Syren's palace?? This coupled with Aven's later comment about time soon having no meaning for them worries me greatly... I just met you, Aven! Don't die now! ;-; (Don't mind me casually yelling at your characters. xD)

Aven examined their angular reflection in a shimmering puddle at their hands, unable to reconcile the figure they saw with what they knew themselves to be.

That's a very clever way to slip in a description of Aven's features. ;D

Curled, inky strands of hair escaped from their carefully done look. Long, bejeweled ears framed their disheveled look.

Hmm... is Aven's look "carefully done" or "disheveled"? >.> Or both? It seems like it used to be carefully done, but is now disheveled... Might be good to clarify that, or at least not repeat "look" twice.

There wouldn't be anymore pretending, faking, masquerading, lying after this. The game was up- the cat had caught the mouse.

Okay, now THIS is what intrigued me. I feel like Syren is the cat? So if the cat is royalty... is Aven trying to stage a revolution or something? But hmm, there's no mention of their collaborators or anything... Perhaps they're out for revenge? Do they have some kind of history with Syren? Interesting, interesting.

If the gods wanted Aven, they had decided the gods would have them. The odds were no longer beatable, feasible, possible.

Aaaa </3 I repeat: don't die now, Aven! But seriously-- what happened to make Aven so nauseous and exhausted? Please tag me if you post any more of this; I'm curious!

Overall, this is a great start to a novel! Keep writing, and I hope you have a terrific day/night! =D

Euphory wrote a review...

Hi there! <3 this review is brought to you by The Crimson Critics!

I am aware that this is incomplete, and probably the result of a little writing exercise than an actual story in itself, so I'm going to to try to focus less on the story this is trying to say than on how it is saying it .

HOOK
Personally, I thought you had a killer opening line, mostly because the action and description of the darkness and the rain were extremely compelling in the context of your story. However, if ever you were to take this short story as a part of a real story, then I'd suggest changing your opening line to something more relevant to that particular plot point!

IMAGERY
This story's boon as well as bane is its imagery- on the one hand, I adore some of the imagery you've got here! Such as:

They stayed there, sunk on their knees, chilly rainwater leeching its cold fingers through their clothes, and static memories staining their mind for an interminable amount of time

The sharp edges of pain gripped firmly at their insides with stone claws, forcing them to draw their rain-soaked cloak closer around themselves, draping their elegant frame in the pitch-black fabric

On the other hand, the amount of descriptions and verbs and adjectives you've packed into this bog down your story too much. If this was a writing exercise to test the number of ways you can describe pain and darkness, then this is an excellent result of it, but if you really want to practice doing good imagery- you could limit yourself on the quantity of your descriptions, and try to express it in fewer sentences and words, so that they pack a punch! Having too many descriptions only clogs your story up, as opposed to building momentum and tension.

FORMATTING AND GRAMMAR

Paragraphs!!! Your story needs more spacing- currently, your paragraphs are way too big, and extremely hard on the eyes. Shortening them dividing them into more, smaller paragraphs would be highly recommended! It's very important to give your words a little space to breathe <3

Apart from that, I would maybe suggest subtracting a few adjectives and verbs here and there. Let's take the opening line as an example:
The darkness pressed in, rushed in, crawled through their veins, chewing and tearing its nightmarish and overwhelming way through Aven

You've got some strong verbs going here, and removing any one or two of them would not lessen the impact of the sentence. For instance,
"The darkness crawled through their veins, tearing its nightmarish way through Aven."
Or,
"The darkness, rushed in, crawling through their veins, chewing its overwhelming way through Aven."

I recommend doing a similar process of omission throughout the story!

I also noticed there is a repetition of many words throughout -> overwheming, puncturing, sensation, etc. Omitting out words throughout the story will probably solve this as well!

Overall, I enjoyed your story and it's vivid and electric descriptions, and I hope you'll continue writing! I am huge sucker for good imagery, espeeecially rain imagery, so rest assured I would enjoy your writing! <3

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
— Henry David Thoreau, "Walden"