z

Young Writers Society



College Essays

by VivelaMusique


When I look at my dad I see several things. I see a middle aged man with wrinkling skin, a business man with too much on his mind, and father with relentlessly needy kids. I see a man who’s stuck between an American world he doesn’t quite fit in with and a French world that he doesn’t entirely remember. But on top of all this there’s also a shimmering glow of resiliency and pride.

My father moved from France to the United States as a twenty-one year old with no English under his belt aside from, hello. While after almost a year he became fluent he has never completely lost his lilting French accent and still swaps around words unintentionally. At home it’s difficult for me to notice the difference between his speech and mine but under the watchful eyes—or perhaps, ears?—of others his mistakes and rolling “r”s and missing “h”s become evident.

The slip-ups he would make didn’t bother me much, but to others they were funny, even mock-able. When my friends would first meet my dad they were pleasant as anything while he was in the room, smiling and nodding in agreement with whatever he said. But after he would leave, nearly one hundred percent of the time, they would turn to me and ask, “What’d he say?” And I’d be embarrassed.

When I was about twelve or thirteen I remember sitting in my cheery-yellow room with one of my friends and blaring an Avril Lavigne CD. My windows were rattling, along with everything on my shelves, and the pair of us were dancing; playing air-guitar and mouthing the words. Soon my dad swung open the door which proceeded to slam into the wall and screamed over the music, “Slow it down!” His eyes were narrow and blackened with anger, I immediately pressed pause on my boom-box and my dad stormed off.

My heart pounding I collapsed on my bed in one motion and exhaled, “He was really angry.”

My friend gave me a look as though to say, obviously. “Did he say to slow it down?” I nodded solemnly, thinking of the likely punishment I’d receive later, but I was quickly interrupted by laughter. My friend was nearly crying with unrestrained humor. And as she rolled around on the bed giggling to herself, my stomach lurched with unease and shame. I didn’t invite her to my house again.

As I got older my dad and his family began encouraging me to learn French and while I was resistant at first my freshman year of high school I decided to continue taking French classes. To my surprise it came to me pretty easily and best of all, was fun. I spent time learning basic vocabulary with my dad and we bonded over the common interest. Over the next two years I continued my French studies, but as I hit the last level of French offered at my school, I ran into a problem. The practice that I did with my dad was sufficient in terms of vocabulary and grammar but my accent on the other hand was tray tey-re-blah.

Ironically I found myself in the same position that my father had been in for his entire life in the United States. I felt confident that I could speak French, a least the basics, my only problem was that no one could understand me. In my French class I practiced this—a lot. Gradually I’ve gotten better, though I still could not I say that I was perfect, or even proficient in speaking with a French accent.

But my experience dipping into another culture and facing people who either can’t or won’t understand lead me to see something. Sometimes a small part of me is ashamed of my dad and his inability to assimilate into a “normal” father, but the majority of me knows that his effort and strength in continuing is worth more than any scorn his speech might receive.

------------------------

This is a really, really rough draft of a possible college app. essay. I think I'll be studying languages (specifically French) while in college, so I figured this might be a good place to begin. What I was wondering is if any of you could, in addition to any edits that you wanted to do, answer these questions for me:

* Were the ideas and relationships clear?

* Was the connection between my dad's experience and my own clear?

* Are there any other details I should include?

* After the first paragraph were you interested in continuing?

* What is the essay about?

* Have I used active voice verbs wherever possible?

* Is my sentence structure varied or do I use all long or all short sentences?

* Do you detect any cliches?

* Do I use transition appropriately?

* Do I use imagery often and does this make the essay clearer and more vivid?

* What's the best part of the essay?

* What about the essay is memorable?

* What's the worst part of the essay?

* What parts of the essay need elaboration or are unclear?

* What parts of the essay do not support your main argument or are immaterial to your case?

* Is every single sentence crucial to the essay? This MUST be the case.

* What does the essay reveal about your personality?

* Could anyone else have written this essay?

* How would you fill in the following blank based on the essay: "I want to accept you to this college because our college needs more ____________."

You don't need to answer all of these (I know it's a lot of questions) but as much as you are willing to do would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Also, I'd be willing to do 2 reviews for you in return, especially if you do an indepth review for me! Cookies will also be served! ;)

-Maggie


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 3358
Reviews: 30

Donate
Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:55 am
jojo48 wrote a review...



I'm probably not the best person to reply to a college essay, but I wanted to say something to this because I thought it was really well done. I've always struggled with writing non-fiction essays that were also really entertaining and had great language and writing in them. I love the way you describe your dad at the begining. The 'he makes me think of...' approach is always good. And I can't answer all your questions, but I can say that the relationship can be portrayed a little better if you maybe include some memories you have of spending time with your dad.




User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 1090
Reviews: 34

Donate
Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:37 am
AdrianaConnor wrote a review...



Hola! I haven't been on YWS since the beginning of the summer; it feels good to be back. I immediately noticed your post, since my brother is writing a college essay too, and it kept me interested much more than his did. :smt003
I'm going to do a critique first, then I'll get to your questions.

When I look at my dad I see several things. I see a middle-aged man with wrinkling skin, a businessman with too much on his mind, and father with relentlessly needy kids.

Okay. I just threw that hyphen in for 'middle-aged' and made 'business man' one word. I italicized the first sentence, because I'm pretty sure you either need a comma after the word 'dad,' or you need to switch the sentence around, like 'I see several things when I look at my dad.' It's called idependent and dependent clauses, I think.
as a twenty-one-year-old with no English under his belt aside from, hello.

All rightie. I threw in those hyphens for 'twenty-one-year-old.' Then, for the next part, I think the proper form would be aside from 'hello.' The way you italicized 'hello'... I don't know, it just looks wrong to me.
While after almost a year he became fluent,he has never completely

Self-explanatory. I'm kind of a nut about commas. :D
his mistakes- rolling "r"s and missing "h"s- become evident.

Mm-kay. I'm not sure if anything was wrong with your way of doing it, but the three 'and's just looked off to me. This is just another way of writing it.
The slipups

even mockable

'Slipups' and 'mockable': one word.
When my friends would first meet my dad, they were pleasant

As I said: I'm a nut about commas.
thirteen, I remember sitting in my cheery yellow room

Commas. And 'cheery yellow' wouldn't have a hyphen.
dancing, playing air-guitar, and mouthing the words.

I really don't think you needed that semicolon there. You could've just made it out as a list. Also: OHMYGOD AVRIL LAVIGNE IS AWESOME!
the door, which proceeded to slam into the wall, and screamed

Commas.
with anger. I immediately pressed pause on my boom box, and my dad stormed off.

I figured that a period would go better there, and I threw in a comma.
My heart pounding, I collapsed

Commas.
“Did he say to slow it down?” P I nodded solemnly,

You might want to make a new paragraph after your 'friend' *grumbles to myself about stupid people* stops talking.
As I got older, my dad and his family began encouraging me to learn French, and while I was resistant at first, my freshman year of high school I decided to continue taking French classes.

Commas.
To my surprise, it came to me pretty easily, and best of all, it was fun.

You needed that 'it' in there, although it wouldn't seem like that at first glance. Also, commas.
grammar, but my accent, on the other hand, was tray tey-re-blah.

Commas. Heh. Tray tey-re-blah. Not exactly sure what it means (I'm more of a Spanish person myself :smt003 ) but it sounds like 'terrible,' so you get the point across.
Ironically, I found myself

Commas.
basics; my only

I'm pretty sure that you need a semicolon there, instead of a comma.
at least the basics

Typo. 'At least,' not 'a least'.
Whew. I haven't ripped someone's writing to shreds in months. It's good to be back. :smt002
Now, for your questions:
1. Yeah. Everything was crystal-clear to me, and college people are smarter than I am, so they'll get it perfectly. You got your point across.
2. YES. One word, Maggie: irony. It always makes me chuckle. Yes, it was clear that your situations were related and somewhat reversed.
3. Not that I can think of. I'm no expert on college essays, but as far as I'm concerned, for a beginning, it was detailed enough, and it got me interested enough for me to read more. You might want to get some better opinions than that, though. :smt002
4. Yep. You had me interested at the 'relentlessly needy kids' part (heehee), and the the next sentence intrigued me, so it sucked me in well enough.
5. Erm. Aren't you supposed to know that? Anywho, I figure it's the 'telling-college-people-about-myself' section of the essay, and it's relating back to French since you're going to take it in college. Sorry, not a very good answer, but I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. *shrugs*
6. I googled 'active voice verbs,' and I'm still unsure, but I figure that you used them pretty good. The best example of them would, I believe, be in that paragraph about the Avril-Lavigne-stupid-friend flashback.
7. You had mostly long sentences in there, which I personally like, but you also had your fair share of short ones. I'm fairly sure that you used enough different sentence structure.
8. I've never been particularly good at finding cliches, but nothing you said struck me as being particularly overused.
9. Yep. You managed your transitions quite nicely.
10. I've got to say, the part that I could envision most clearly was that story about when you were twelve or fourteen. The other parts... I think this is the best way to put it: that flashback to when you were younger was you living life, while the rest of your essay was you talking about you living life. If that makes sense. But it's fine; the whole sentence isn't a continuous story, blow-by-blow, so it's completely fine.
11. I've got to say, I really liked the flashback part, because it made me feel a lot of different emotions: I got pissed at your so-called 'friend', I was giggling because of the description of you two dancing, and I could relate to the whole 'father-yelling-at-your-because-of-loud-music' thing. I also liked the ironic part, with you realizing your French accent was less than satisfactory, while your father's was still constant.
12. The part about your friends having to ask what your father had said (I'm no good at deciphering accents, so I have to do this a lot, and it's not just embarrassing for you, just so you know. It was interesting to see how the person being constantly asked felt, though; it was different), and the whole irony thing. That's what's going to stand out to me the most when I wake up tomorrow and remember, "Oh, yeah, I critiqued something on YWS last night."
13. ... truthfully, I can't think of anything I saw that made me think, 'I don't like this,' or 'This isn't particularly necessary.' I can't really point out a worst part of it. Sorry... or not...?
14. Hm. I don't particularly see anything in the essay that was vague to the point that I couldn't figure it out. It all seemed detailed enough, but not burdened down by details, which is good. :smt002 All in all, I can think of nothing that would need more detail.
15. I realized, at this point, that you'd just copy-pasta'ed these questions from a different website. Anywho: this part of the essay is simply explaining a bit about yourself, correct? And the fact that you were honest about sometimes being ashamed for your father made me see you in a good light, which is nice. Also, you're tying it all back to the point that you're interested in taking French in college. You're killing two birds with one stone! I figure that everything here is for your 'main argument.' I'm mainly a 'grammar' type of person, though, so you may want to consult someone else about this.
16. 'I spent time learning basic vocabulary with my dad and we bonded over the common interest.' That's the only sentence I can think of that doesn't seem entirely crucial to the rest of the essay, although it helped me to see more of the relationship between you and your father. My advice would be to keep it, even it's not completely necessary.
17. You're honest. That's the first thing that I noticed. You were always honest about being somewhat ashamed of your father when his accent was hard to understand, and about being embarrassed when your friends had to ask you what he'd said. I also figured that you were pretty hardworking, from the part about always trying to improve your accent in French class.
18. Hm. That's a toughie. Your story was unique, which is the important thing, although your overall style of writing could've been someone else's. But every person on earth seems to have a counterpart when it comes to writing style. It was your voice throughout the essay that made it seem signaturely 'you.'
19. I want to accept your to this college because our college needs more people who will honestly try their best. A second language leaves your possibilities for careers pretty wide and almost endless, so you'll most definitely be a success in life. It also, in some cases, will make it so that you can continue pursuing any hobbies that you were thinking about making into a career (ex: writing? Maybe a new French-English dictionary?).
WHOA THAT LAST ANSWER SOUNDED WEIRDLY PROFESSIONAL. YAY!
Overall, I really enjoyed reading your essay. It kept me interested for the entire time and sounded quite unique, even though it was obvious a high school student wrote it, which is good. They'd think that peole who sounded too professional were plagiarizing (yes, that's spelled wrong, whatever). I liked the descriptive words that you used (ex: my stomach lurched with unease and shame), and I liked the way that you incorporated everything, including that little flashback, into your main idea. Great job! Also, shoot me a PM when you get accepted. :smt002
By the way, the two critiques aren't necessary. I enjoy critiquing (or, as I call it, mercilessly ripping peoples' writing to shreds). Those questions you put at the end were especially fun to answer. I think I've only got two stories up, anyway, although I've done, like, thirty critiques... all of them ridiculously long, like this one. Sorry.
BUT THE COOKIES WOULD BE APPRECIATED. ESPECIALLY IF THEY'RE CHOCOLATE CHIP. :smt003
See you around!





He knew that elbow.
— soundofmind