12+

Nocturnal Lights

by Virgil

I

The headlights of nocturnal vehicles form a train;
a conga line of people still awake.
M̶a̶y̶b̶e̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶I̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶d̶r̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶d̶g̶e̶,̶ ̶
̶I̶'̶d̶ ̶d̶r̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶l̶i̶q̶u̶o̶r̶.̶

Somehow I think that the scarlet railing
will protect me from driving off the edge.
The truck behind me is right on my tail,
forcing me to keep going.

II

Mother told me angels lived atop the cell towers,
their platforms flat where they stood and watched.
Out the car window, I try and see if anyone was up there.
All I see is a speck of blinking light,
steady like a heartbeat.

III

A lady on a motorcycle pulls in front of me,
her tire tracks leave a faint mark in my mind.
A checkpoint.
She made it seem like I was back in his living room
immersed into some generic racing game playing time trials.

I̶'̶m̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶.̶
̶G̶o̶.̶ ̶
R̶u̶s̶h̶.̶ ̶
H̶u̶r̶r̶y̶.̶

IV

He and I
connected by a bridge, two cellphones,
and a cell tower.
The exasperated grunting and clanging of metal bars
screams from my phone.

Paperclips deemed useless
when it's all going to just fall apart.
Like an angel atop a cell tower,
I want to catch him before he falls.

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:42 pm
Casanova wrote a review...

Heya, Kaos! Casanova here to do a review for you! I"ll be taking this piece by piece, so I hope you don't mind. To the review!

a conga line of people still awake.

One thing I didn't like was the use of,"nocturnal," so early in the poem and used to compare it to vehicles. I get that the vehicles are driving in the night, but it just seemed kinda meh to me.

forcing me to keep going.

Driving back from a doc's appointment a semi did this to me, so these lines are really easy to relate to. Props for that.

All I see is a speck of blinking light,
steady like a heartbeat.

I really like the ending two lines here, they really hold the stanzza together. I was getting a little meh by the middle of it, but you picked it up here.

A checkpoint.

I'm not seeing the transition from the motorcycle to being in the guys living room, honestly. You give us no insight as to how that reminds you of his living room, and it's something I kind of want to know. More than just a faint video game line that you give here, anyway, because you just say,"racing," when that could mean Sonic The Hedge Hog for all we know here.

He and I
connected by a bridge, two cellphones,
and a cell tower.
screams from my phone.

Paperclips deemed useless
when it's all going to just fall apart.
Like an angel atop a cell tower,
I want to catch him before he falls.

The transition from the previous lines to this was completely too fast. I don't understand why they're this fast, but I felt like you could draw this out a bit more.

Overall you had extremely good imagery and this was a decent poem, and I just had a few nitpicks with it.

That's all I have to say about this one, and I hope it helped.

Keep on doing what you're doing, and keep on keeping on.

Your friend, Matt

Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:04 am
LaPetitePrincess wrote a review...

I have always enjoyed reading poetry. There is a uniqueness found in poems that cannot be found in other types of literary works. Poetry is not bound by specific a certain specific format, it is all a matter of details and descriptions.

Poetry entails a great deal of imagery. This poem – your poem – in particular, accomplished this greatly.

From what I gathered, this poem was actually told in the point of view of two personas – a suicidal person and someone who wants to save him.

Personally, I believed that the lines that you crossed out actually added to the impact of the poetry. It gave more meaning to the piece. It added emphasis to the inner struggle of the first persona.

The character of the second persona – the saviour, in this case – on the other hand is someone I perceived to be full of life and hope. She is someone who has a heart full of compassion. She looks through life with a colored glass.

The meeting and the feelings of both personas towards each other was something I would have wanted to read more about. It would have something that you could have explored even more. But, for the sake of this piece, I think that the short lines dedicated to their reactions and feelings were enough.

In all, I really enjoyed this piece, especially the last two lines.
Hope this helped. Keep writing!

- LaPetitePrincess

Virgil says...

felistia wrote a review...

Hi, Felistia here with a review for you on this wonderful day. :D

Nit-picks

I

a conga line of people still awake.

forcing me to keep going.
This whole part felt a bit disjointed. I got the whole idea of driving off the side of the bridge, but that was made up of four lines and there were another four lines that didn't seem to connect to the main idea in anyway. I'd just reformat and rewrite it a bit to get a more solid and flowing idea.

IV

He and I
connected by a bridge, two cellphones,
and a cell tower.
screams from my phone.

Paperclips deemed useless
when it's all going to just fall apart.
Like an angel atop a cell tower,
I want to catch him before he falls.
Okay so I'm not really that good at figuring out poetry meanings, so this is probably just me. I just didn't quite get what you where trying to say in this part of the poem.

Overall thoughts

I thought your rhythm was really good and even though there wasn't a rhyme scheme you kept the poem at a fairly fast pace through out.
Your description was also pretty good. You didn't use gorgeous imagery, but I didn't think that this poem needed it. I just needed a bit of colour here and there and that's just what you did. I also liked how you incorporated what the main character was thinking while telling a story.

Overall it was a great poem and I look forward to the next one. Never stop writing and I hope you have a great day\night. :D

Your friend, Felistia. :D

This review courtesy of Image

Virgil says...

Thanks for the review, but poetry doesn't necessarily have to have a rhyme scheme or anything of that sort.

Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?
— Obi-Wan Kenobi