The Power of Words

by Vellichor

I wish I could explain how words always astound me,

though they also do worry and endlessly confound me.

The word of mouth and the words in speech, even the words on a paper,

they all can teach

----

Us to be grateful, or angry, or sad;

the best tool any leader might ever have had.

A great man once said that we all were created equal.

A pity we killed him; no sequel.

----

We as a people have learned to hate and fear

what should be revered;

we chase and kill what we don't understand, and

always fail to realize how well planned

----

These words always are, regardless of prep;

There's always one person on that big first step.

They know better than we, yet we never seem to listen,

no matter the sparkle, no matter the glisten

----

ing of their words, their ideas, their ideals.

We fall back on the wrong; insult to injury

of the hope of those strong

----

Men and women, the trail blazers of progress...

But I digress...

----

We as a people have learned to hate what is new, but

now I propose we stand up and fight for that too.

We fight for land, we fight for gods, 

so why can't we fight for better overall odds?

We've become as a people so cruel, so hollow...

I say it's time to make today that tomorrow.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:56 am
thecolorofthesky wrote a review...

Hey there! Sky here with a review for your poem. Let's jump in!
I like to read the poems in my head, then out loud, to find the flow. The cadence of the first stanza is good. I would separate the lines further, but the longer lines work well as strings of thought. In the second line, you could omit the word "do" and omit the word "the" in the next. The first and second line would flow into each other better. The short line at the end of the first stanza is well placed. The transition into the next stanza is very neat. The only problem I have is that the sentence running from the first stanza into the second is long. The punctuation of that sentence is clean, though.

A great man once said we all were created equal.
A pity we killed him; no sequel
These lines make a great impact and convey your point with a strong tone. The third stanza's first two lines are a little awkward. If the second line had a few more syllables, it would sound better. For example,
all things that should be revered.

I like the fourth and fifth stanzas. You create a really nice flow. It would sound great read aloud as slam poetry! The sixth stanza is a problem for me. The couplet seems out of place. It fits well in the rhythm, but the meaning of the lines is a little unclear, and seems to not fit with the rest of the poem. I think it's just how they are worded. The last stanza's fourth line could use a word or two taken out of it. It seems too long to fit with the rest.
I say it's time to make today that tomorrow.
is a perfect ending line! I love this line so much!
The format of the poem is beautiful, with thoughtful spacing. There isn't much need for imagery or lots of figurative language in this poem. It's more of a persuasive work, which I adore. You call your audience to action through well worded poetry. This piece makes an inspiring statement.
Write on!
-thecolorofthesky

Vellichor says...

Thank you so much! All of these reviews have meant so much to me and I feel like I can really begin to improve my work. As to your comment on slam poetry, that's exactly what I was going for :D (I didn't realize it at the time, but once I finished it and read it out loud I realized what I had done lol.) THanks again!

Brigadier wrote a review...

Hey there ChildofWriting. It's just Lizzy dropping by real quick as requested, so without a further ado, let the reviewing begin.

Though I do review poetry, it's not my best field. (Well that depends who you talk to.). If you find that this review isn't very helpful to you, I believe a couple of te poetry mods have review forums. You might want to check them out.

I see that you were trying to get a lot of the lines to rhyme but in this format it just sounds weird. The previous reviewer already went into this a bit but I felt I should add on a bit more. When I'm reading this in mind and I see a couple of stanzas that the lines rhyme, I sort of expect the whole poem to rhyme. You know what I mean? It's like when you see something repeat several times and you go 'I know what's going to happen next'. Except this time it didn't and it threw me off a little bit.

Also exscuse the lack of quotes. I've recently started doing all reviews on mobile and my fun doesn't like to copy and paste anything.

Up in the top two lines, it seemed like you were trying to rhyme them and then decided not to. I may or may not be able to make this quote work so don't hold your breath on my comments.

-Okay so I did manage to copy the right two lines down here.
-What I was trying to point out before is how you end both lines with 'me' but the words before them rhyme. So to me it looked liked instead of a second 'me' spending else was supposed to go there and then you changed your mind. I don't know how accurate that is but that's just how it looked to me.

When I was looking for this piece in your folder, I came across your wall post about your poetry. I'm sorry you feel that at about it because it's a tough decision to make. I never wrote a word of poetry before I came to YWS and I really haven't written that much since, but this place gave me the courage to post stuff. Some of it was good, some not so good.
I'm trying to be encouraging here but I don't want to mess up so let me leave one final line.
You will never know if your piece is good or not, until you stick it in the green room and wait for reviews.

It took me a bit of thought to get to the true meaning but I think o understand now. And it's a very powerful point and message that you are trying to get across. I like how the poem started out simpler. Just referring to words in the most basic way you felt about them.
Then you loved down to the emotions that they can describe and from there onto politics, well almost. I liked the part about with the reference to the Constitution. Or was that not meant that way?
I think it was considering your whole idea of a need for change. The all people being equal line, was further supported by the last two stanzas so i think I got that reference right.

So I guess I really don't have that much for this review. You already have 3 great reviews and I wouldn't want to overlap any on their points. So I hope you post more of your poetry soon and I'll keep watch for it in the green room. Also exscuse any typos because of this dang mobile keyboard.
Have a nice day.
Happy RevMo.
Lizzy
The Queen of the Book Clubs

Wolfi wrote a review...

Howdy Chilow ~

As I've told you, I don't write poetry. So, I guess, don't take my advice too seriously :P If you want some serious poetry advice, find a poet in the WRFF forums, and ask them for a review.

You were so uncertain about posting any of your poetry, worried that you weren't a good enough poet. But I had a feeling that you were just being humble and this poem would be great. And I was right! Your message is really strong and I like the different cultural topics you covered.

However (and this is my main critique), this is a free-verse poem, and it wasn't necessary for you to rhyme every single line. Some of them come off as forced and don't fit in with the stressed/unstressed rhythm. I think it's usually more important to maintain a steady rhythm than find a way to rhyme everything. If you've read any Shakespeare, you'll know what I mean. He saves a rhyming couplet for the most important lines, and simply maintains a nice rhythm everywhere else.

A pity we killed him; no sequel.

I like these lines. Are you referring to the authors of the Constitution, chiefly James Madison? I don't think anyone ever killed him, but maybe you're referring to the ideas of equality that were written and were "killed" with the arrival of slavery and discrimination, lasting still today.

----

The separation of "glistening" caught me off guard at first, but I like it. It's unique and even though I'm not sure how I would pronounce it within the rhythm of the poem if I read it out loud, it's unique and contributes to your poetic voice. As a poet, you have the freedom to alter, twist, and break up words as you please, but remember to keep a nice unstressed/stressed rhythm, too.

Nice! A good culture poem needs a good call to action. This would be Shakespeare's one strong, rhymed couplet.

If anything I said was confusing or needs clarification, just let me know. Keep up the poeting! I'd love to more of what you can do. :)

TheOneNamedZoe wrote a review...

Review time!

I very much enjoyed the poem, and how it described how powerful words can be; be it killing someone or motivation.
I also really like the fact that you speak of how we should more importantly use words for good and not bad. It reminds me of my own story I am working on (I swear I am not advertising my work) .
Keep up the good poetry!

Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:17 am
gracevan wrote a review...

gracevan here for a review!

let me start by saying that I particularly enjoy poetry about poetry (and the power of words) and rhyming poetry is always more difficult for me so props to you for accomplishing that!

A tiny critique would be that there are a few inconsistencies with the rhythm, however it didn't distract from the overall piece. I would recommend reading it out loud, you might catch the places where it doesn't quite flow.

Also most of your stanzas have a varying amount of lines, which is totally fine if that's the way you want it, but a consistent amount of lines per stanza might make it have a more steady feel.

I really enjoy the places where you break the stanza in the middle of a word, like in the fourth stanza. That's very unique and piqued my interest.
Overall, this is a great job with a purpose I can stand behind and a killer ending. Nice work!!

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
— William Shakespeare