z

Young Writers Society



Forgotten Memories

by VampX13


Note to all readers!

I'm looking for a better title to this story. If you have any suggestion let me know. If you would like to know anything about the story to help develope a cool title or if you are confused about anything: just ask.

This story was inspired by the short story "Memento Mori" and the movie Memento.

---------------------------------------

Forgotten Memories

INTRO

IT'S clear how it happened. At least it is to me. To most people who meet me I'm sure it's some sort of damned mystery. The mysterious retarded man, that's me. They look at me and they see a drooling lunatic because of my condition. For me it's not like that though. I look in the mirror and I see myself (plus a few years). I look in the mirror and I see memories. Some that left and some that are still embedded in my cracked brain. One of those memories is one I don't like to revisit particularly. Although I should be getting used to it by now, you'd think, because it's the first memory I replay when I'm finished forgetting all the rest.

It was a rather dark night. I'm not going to blame the darkness though or the long winding and bumpy country road. No, I'm going to blame myself. There had been a party earlier. It was for some holiday like Mardi Gras or New Years. Something stupid that has become so repetitious to the world it's idiotic for us to celebrate it anymore. I was driving down that road, intoxicated. It was 1:14 in the morning. Or at least that's what the neon green numbers on the radio told me. I needed to turn soon so I switched lanes. There was a blinding light up ahead which told me clearly "WRONG LANE, YOU MORON!" but I was drunk so I only laughed and sang some of those church hymns. I thought it was God, coming to take me to my eternal home in heaven. Then I remember the sound of grinding, twisting metal: the impact. The front of my head was about to hit something hard. I turned it sharply, as the steering wheel was thrust forward into my chest. I heard something crack before my head hit the dash, and then something rushed me backward as I slipped into an unconscious state.

I can't remember anything after that but I do have a report of the accident that someone clipped from a newspaper. The other driver died in that accident. It turned out she had a family at home who had never really encouraged her to wear a seatbelt. Her one daughter and a husband-to-be survived her. I was written to have been the bad guy in it, the jackass who drove home drunk. It was mentioned that I was reported dead. The newspaper was right, really. I was dead. I couldn't remember things for over five to ten minutes. Now I can go anywhere from ten to one hundred and twenty minutes without forgetting. I wrote down in my memory (which you remember is my scrapbook) that the doctor's told me it was impressive.

They decided to release me and sent me out into the world. I was still a corpse to them but I was now a corpse who had made progress and who wasn't eating up the taxpayer's money. Home was a place I constantly drifted around. I have written down I lived in three different places and I've been known to sort of wander as well. I'll go to a hotel and have people remember me, waving and smiling. It's as though they mock me because they know I can't remember them and won't.

Maybe it's better though, not knowing. Then I don't have to remember what she was like, my fiancé. Certain things from the past memories I'd made, before the accident, sort of faded. Just like her. I can't remember what she looked like, what she sounded like, what we had talked about or really done together. I can't remember who she was. The things I do remember are ones that hurt. I remember family, some friends, and then of course how I felt about her. The only thing I can remember, where my fiancé is concerned, is loving her.

---------------------------------------

Working on the first chapter...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 34

Donate
Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:16 pm
VampX13 says...



Whoops! You're right. *Scurries off to fix that.*

(Indeed! Woot-woot, Anne Rice! :>)




User avatar
2058 Reviews


Points: 32885
Reviews: 2058

Donate
Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:27 pm
Emerson wrote a review...



I loved the intro. Very impressive! You do a very good job with creating the character and setting it up. I'd love to see more and to know where you are going.

The only problem I had was with "what we'd talked or about or really done together." should it not be 'what we'd talk about or what we'd do together' I think you sort of waver in tense through the sentence also. 'would' makes it past already so making 'talk' and 'do' past is useless unless the would wasn't there.

Also, as a side note, nice avatar :-D Go Anne Rice.




User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 34

Donate
Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:41 am
VampX13 says...



Thank you for the advice.

I will actually be revising some othe mistakes here. Repitition, I now see, is a problem in this introduction.

I'll try to lessen my use of fragments to appease but I did use them to try to 1) drive the fact that you are in his mind and 2) show how quick, disorganized, and rambly his writing style can be. Never-the-less, I will try my hardest to cut down as I am a fragment junkie when it comes to this story.




User avatar
563 Reviews


Points: 13816
Reviews: 563

Donate
Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:13 am
Writersdomain wrote a review...



Fascinating... you do a masterful job of pulling us into the character so the reader immediately gets a feel for your narrator, which is very good. I love how you describe his memories - the clip from the newspaper and so on and your last sentence in powerful.

There was one thing throughout this piece that really bothered me though and that was the sentences. You use really short sentences, which is not necessarily bad, but you use so many short sentences that you begin using repetitive structure, which distracts the reader and makes the paragraphs sound very choppy. A few examples..

To most people who meet me I'm sure it's some sort of damned mystery. The mysterious [need comma here] retarded man, that's me. They look at me and they see a drooling lunatic because of my condition. For me it's not like that though. I look in the mirror and I see myself (plus a few years). I look in the mirror and I see memories.


First, we have the issue of fragments. You have TONS of fragments. I am not questioning an author's entitlement to use fragments every once in a while - when you're trying to get a point across, fragments are wickedly useful, but you use them so much that they quickly lose their power and just get annoying. 'the mysterious retarded man, that's me ' this is not a sentence - connecting this with a dash to the sentence before it might work. My example of repetitive structure is in red. Right now you repeat 'I looke in the mirror' and alone I don't have a problem with this, but this could be equally powerful saying 'I look in the mirror and I see myself (duh) - I see memories.' You need to work with manipulating grammar and sentence structure to your use!

As the story progresses, the short sentences and fragments grow less irritating and obvious, but you still have short, simple sentences that all have virtually the same structure and this bores the reader. You need to have a variet of sentence structures. Semi-colons, dashes, clauses and preposition phrases are your best friends. If you make some sentences longer, then the shorter sentences will hold the power you want.

I could go on forever about this and comment on ever grammatical issue, but I think you get my point, so in all work on...

1. grammar and punctuation - investigate semi-colons and dashes and such
2. varying sentence structure and length
3. decide where you want emphasis in paragraph to be and make those sentences short and powerful - don't overemphasize the not as important sentences.

This is a great start, Vamp and I look forward to watching you improve and reading more of you work. PM me if you have any questions and please keep writing.

And I'll think about the title - if I think of anything interesting, I'll get back to you





Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
— Mark Twain