Redwing - Chapter 6

by Utopia

Utopia central, mission room, 6:00 am

‘But why would Universe’s troops be heading for earth? I thought she and her kingdom were the only ones except for us who refused to attack earth, and now their army is heading for earth top-speed?’’ Claire looked at Bridget, demanding an answer.

‘We don’t know,’’ Bridget checked her monitor and murmured to herself, ‘What on earth is going on up there?’’

An ear-splitting wail erupted from the hall.

‘The alarm! Alright girls, mission over. Head to the escape pods, Universe’s army is scheduled to land in one hundred and sixty-eight hours,’’

‘But what about Aura?’’ I asked, glancing down at the helpless girl whose thoughts were lost until we turned them on.

‘She’ll be moved to the sick pod where she will be waked up and told the news, now come on!’’ Bridget ushered us to the door, her voice straining above the sound of the bird sirens, ‘the escape pods will take everyone to a safer realm, probably Cloud-cuckoo-land, now don’t you worry about this place. The Senior Utopians will defuse the situation in no time.’’ She lifted up a corner of her mouth in a half smile and closed the door behind us.

There was a pause before anyone spoke or moved. ‘Let’s go,’’ Claire sighed. We turned our heads from the mission room and ran towards the escape pods. Thoughts rushed through my head as I listened to the sound of our shoes as they squeaked across the marble floor. Why was Universe doing this? Had she lost her mind? I thought she hadn’t agreed to all this madness, besides, Utopians were still not completely removed from earth yet.

We took a left into the pod room where thousands of panicked and confused Utopians were being boarded onto escape pods. The platform had holes dotted here and there in it. Each hole contained a ball-like dome. Each dome could hold up to twelve Utopians. The platform stretched out for a long way, the end of it just visible beyond the hundreds of domes dotted inside it. There was one gigantic dome at the end of the platform, the sick pod. Wendy stared at it, imagining how many children like Aura were inside.

‘Right this way please,’’ an assistant hustled us altogether and started walking. With a heavy heart, I followed the assistant with the other girls behind me. I couldn’t help feeling a little bit guilty about Aura’s state and it didn’t help that we were being lead to one of the pods at the back. The sick pod loomed closer as we made our way. The assistant seemed stressed, his quick, hurried footsteps and ruffled hair only made me more afraid and worried myself about what was going on.

We finally stopped at a red pod with a single window, just like all the others.

‘Here we are. You might be alone but if there is no more room in the front pods we might have to squish even more children into the back pods,’’ he sighed and walked off, grabbing the attention of the next pair of Utopians.

I had never actually seen the inside of a pod before. It had a very simple design; there were twelve glass-like seats and a loud speaker at the top. The bottom half of the pods were made of the same sort of hard glass the seats were made out of but the top of each pod was plastic which could be one of seven colours. Ours was red.

We all sat in silence, lost in our own thoughts.

‘How long do you suppose we’ll be at Cloud-cuckoo-land?’’ asked Kelly.

‘Probably until the Utopians have defused the situation and we can all travel back to Utopia together, or until earth gets blown up by Universe’s goons,’’ sighed Page.

‘I didn’t even get to say goodbye to my parents, my earth parents that is. No matter what happens, I will never see them again. I mean, I knew they were only my cover while I worked at the Utopian Project, but they were good to me and I’ll miss them.’’ Dawn was talking into the floor while fingering her necklace that her earth parents had given her.

‘I wish there was something we could do. I hate the idea of just having a holiday on cuckoo land while serious stuff is going on,’’ sighed Claire.

‘There’s nothing we could do, we’re just junior spies, and it might help if we actually knew what was going on,’’ I stated, ‘I mean it’s not like we’re the Destiny Guider.’’

‘Destiny what?’’ asked Page.

‘Destiny guider? Can tell the future, present and past? Guides you to your destiny?’’

‘I know who he is! But he might be the key! Of course the Destiny guider knows what’s going on! He could tell us what is going on and, of course, how to fix it. Who knows? Maybe stopping Universe is our destiny!’’

‘Page, that is a crazy idea, and besides, these pods destination isn’t exactly the Destiny guider’s secret forest!’’

Teya gasped, ‘Then we’ll just have to go by ourselves!’’

A voice erupted from our speaker, ‘Launch in half an hour. We are about to prepare for launch though so everyone please step onto the platform.’’

We all looked up.

‘Look, if we’re going to do something we’re going to have to do it fast,’’ warned Dawn.

‘Hey guys, look at this?’’ Teya beckoned us towards the tiny window. Instead of all the pods flying off, the whole platform broke off from the Escape Way Transporter tunnels and hovered five centimetres above the ground.

‘The platform is an actual ship!’’ Kelly gasped.

‘And our pods are only parts of it! Now how are we going to lift off on our own?’’ Page was deep in thought and after thinking about it for a moment, she pulled out a box from her pocket. She placed her hand on the box and it turned into a book, a mechanics book about escape vehicles like the one we were on.

While Page flipped through pages, I stared in to space, thinking up impossible plans to try and get us out of this predicament.

‘Wow!’’ Page awed.

‘What?’’ asked Claire.

‘Listen to this!’’ Page turned back towards her book, ‘The biggest escape pods are the Windslicer, Passengerhawk and Cheetahsoarer which were all used in the Nutrillia disaster. Nutrillia used to be the realm of nature but someone created an evil force named Eyeline on it, and the whole planet was destroyed by her. Even larger escape pods such as the Startraveller and Lightblaster were made on Realm Reunion shortly afterwards due to Eyeline’s obsession with taking over their army.’’

Dawn gasped, ‘Eyeline is obsessed with taking over Universe’s army.’’

‘And now her army is heading for earth!’’ I finished. ‘Eyeline must have finally gotten a hold of Universe’s army and is using it to take over earth as well!’’

‘But how does she do it? Some sort of hypnotism?’’ Page placed her hand on her book and it turned into a different book.

‘That still doesn’t help us get out of here,’’ pointed out Teya.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:23 am
Deanie wrote a review...

Hey sis!

Well, we see things are steadily progressing. What I liked is knowing that this group of friends want to help somehow, and are not going to let themselves be carried away to safety without putting up a fight by themselves. We've also been able to see how Eyeline and Universe's story connects to this one. It's a shame that Eyeline had been able to capture them. I can't wait to see if the girls will find a way to get these escape pods heading for the Destiny Guider. Another thing that I appreciated was seeing Page's power in action. I just realized that her name and her power sort of match as well xD

‘What on earth is going on up there?’’

Because this person is the mission commander, I have a feeling she would already know what the alarm is like. In fact, I'm sure that is a sound they need to be familiar with, so I think that her saying, what was that? instead of immediately knowing what to do is a bit strange. I think it takes away some of the seriousness in her job as well, so maybe this needs to be corrected.

The bottom half of the pods were made of the same sort of hard glass the seats were made out of but the top of each pod was plastic which could be one of seven colours.

The seven colours of what? The rainbow?

Another thing is, I doubt the pods would be made of too much glass. Remember, they are for escaping and should be strong enough to withhold an attack if they were being targeted whilst they are escaping. In that case, I am not sure too many of them should have so much glass. Maybe something tougher. Or stress just how tough the glass really is. (In my head the pods are like the ones on the London Eye. Hehe)

I knew they were only my cover while I worked at the Utopian Project,

Hm, how long were they working on that project? Seeing Dawn's affection means that they must've been working on it a long time. But I can't imagine it taking too much time to capture just one girl, and when they did it it was fairly easy too. What about Utopia? Seeing as this is first person I feel like Dawn's comment should lead her on to thinking about her own human parents. We haven't heard much about them up until now.

Secondly, why can't they return? Maybe they can't for the mission anymore, but I get the impression they would be free to stop by. Unless there is some Utopian rule against it, which you should mention if there is one. On top of that, are all those parents okay with their children suddenly missing? I feel like their new found absence should be a note for something on the news.

Of course the Destiny guider knows what’s going on! He could tell us what is going on

Here is a bit of repetitiveness that wasn't required. I would suggest cutting the second 'going on' because we don't really need it in the sentence for it to make sense. We could easily manage without it being there as well.

You've had some fabulous comments on this chapter already which leaves me with next to nothing to say. It's also time for me to sleep, so. Hope this helped and can't wait to be reading more!

Deanie x

Utopia says...

When Bridget mumbled: "What on earth is going on up there?%u2019%u2019
I think she means: "What on earth went on up there that made Universe lose her mind and attack earth''

When Dawn mentions the Utopian project I think she is refering to the whole project which is th training and withdrawl of all the Utopian children. While they were waiting for their turn, they needed cover.
By the way- I wanted to add more onto the mission so chapter 4 is an extra, with the girls actually doing the mission. The plot has changed a lot in the edited chapters like the Utopians are trying to defend earth now. Things like why the Utopian are so worried by Universe's army attacking earth, may be unclear if you don't re-read.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:16 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here!

You have sped up the pace, not in the sense that I feel rushed and that the book is speeding along at the speed of sound--but we now have this thing rolling along! I felt in the other chapters, the ball was beginning to roll, but we were still going along slowly, picking up speed in the introduction to characters as we went along. In this chapter, with the main characters mostly introduced, we are starting to delve into the plot more and I just love it. :)

One thing that I haven't seen before, or at least is quite rare, is your mixture of fantasy and science fiction. I mean, this is for the most part science fiction, but you toss in their powers--something definitely not the norm for mankind--and that just makes the book so much more special. It's like you are breaching two different worlds of readers, and since I am torn between which of the two is my favorite, (I am writing two books, one from each) this is just lovely. I really like your plot and scene.

The characters are beginning to unfold as well. Especially, I think, this Dawn. At first, I as under the impression that she was a leader of some kind. Not just their little group, but something in cahoots with the big Utopian leaders. It has now become apparent that she is, like it or not, a little insignificant minion to them. Now it has left me wondering if the Utopians are good--at the headquarters, I mean--or if they are simply competitors with this Universe person/organization.

Wendy stared at it, imagining how many children like Aura were inside.

Something you want to be very careful of, when doing first-person, is keeping the thoughts and scene inside the narrator's head only. Its lovely that Wendy does this staring, and it think it also gives the scene some added weight and develops her character more, but you have to keep in mind that you can't make it from Wendy imagining it, but from the main character thinking or envisioning her thinking that. First-person is very limited, really, because you are confined to only the narrator's thoughts and feelings, unless you can add her thoughts about someone else in your character's thoughts. That works really good. ^.^

asked Page.

Now this isn't something I usually nitpick, but in this case I think its best if I do. You can overdo it on the usage of said, and its very easy to fall into a trap where that is all you say for taglines (I did it myself. I have a 150+ page draft with nothing but said for tags). But you can also underdo it. Said is the perfect tagline. It has been used so much that is has become like the period. Seen, but not dwelled upon. No-one looks at a said and marvels at the wonderful word choice, but they can skim right over it, knowing that it was this character who spoke. That is its only purpose: tell the reader who spoke. Now that isn't saying you shouldn't break it up and use alternative taglines all the time. Its fine, and works very well because you can obtain a lot of added emotion with key words in your tags, but don't omit said altogether. It is much too important for that.

And while I am on that subject, don't forget action. You have it in some of the places, but this chapter seemed too much of a talking-head interview (if you know what I mean) in the way that all they do is talk, and there doesn't seem to be any movement going on when they do start chatting. Its, she said this, and then she said this, and then she said this--without any action save for a few places. And I am not saying action like beating people up. I am saying action like this:

Those little actions after a character speaks not only gives us a break from traditional taglines and breaks things up a bit, but it also gives us more of a visual of what they are doing, and what is going on. It's important to always try to bring in as many of the senses as possible in a scene, and keep them occupied during that. So, hearing (dialogue), vision(actions of your characters. walking around, etc...), smell (little scents--all part of the description and whatnot), touch (a character touches the glass. how does it feel? that kind of thing.) taste (this one isn't implemented quite as often, but still just as important. Kind of like the special arrow in your quiver.)

While I am at talking about that one little piece, let me talk for a second on information. Now, we all know that many of these--or rather, all of them--people are gifted in their own special ways. Some of these ways are quite simple to come to grips with. The main character's power is very easy to understand and visualize, but with this, I was a little confused and it took me out because I had to wonder what was the actual power of this girl, or if it was the book that was "magical" or "new-age". Little details like that may seem... well, little, but they are every bit as important as the big ones when it come right down to it.

The bottom half of the pods were made of the same sort of hard glass the seats were made out of but the top of each pod was plastic which could be one of seven colours. Ours was red.

This is a run-on sentence. You don't have very many of them, but on rare occasion I do find one or two that need to be looked at. How about I just rewrite it for you, and see if I can make it a little better--using the same words, of course.

The bottom half of the pods were made of the same sort of hard glass the seats were made out of, but the top of each pod was plastic, which could be one of the seven colours. Ours was red

All in all, I think you really brought the story forward, and made it more personal with this chapter. The characters are starting to become more full-fledged, but most especially, I think the other characters around her are becoming so. The main character seems a little vague in this chapter, he opinions and desires a little stifled to accommodate all of this transitioning to a new place. Really, I think there would be more doubt on her part, because she has no idea what is going on, and this is still incredibly new to her, right? Give her some doubt, some questions. Remember: a weak, ignorant character in the beginning of the book makes the best MC, because they can grow and make the best arc to the end. I think you have already gotten a grasp on an excellent main character, but I think her opinions and thoughts need to be shone out a little more. In a few words, tell us what she thinks.

Keep writing and ping me for the next chapters! I hope this wasn't seen as harsh. I truly enjoyed this chapter, and it was very well written. :)
~Darth Timmyjake

Utopia says...

Thanks for the review! I did think this chapter was a little to 'talkie', perhaps I'll read through it and see what I can do.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:48 am
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hello, Utopia. Wolf here for a review, as promised.

I'll go straight into the critiquing, just so I don't lose my train of thought. Though, I'll say right now I really liked this chapter. It was interesting and we found out some cool things, but I'll go more into that later.

First off, in the beginning of the chapter, I'm not entirely sure where they are. So it may just be that I haven't read this in a while, or it just wasn't made clear enough, but if my memory serves correct, they were in a ship somewhere before last chapter, but now they seem to be in some kind of base? Really, I don't know where anything is. They were at Aura's house and then they went somewhere else, and now they seem to be at this base, but how these locations relate to each other, I have no idea. Is it a short flight (or ride, however they got to Aura's house) from the house to the base? This doesn't have to be done now, but at some point, I think you should try and establish how each setting relates to each other to avoid further confusion.

Be very careful for redundancy. As pointed out in the previous review, the word 'Earth' was repeated three times in one paragraph. I understand its dialogue, and people can talk however, but it seems odd to me that someone would say the same word three times in the same dialogue. Also, the very next paragraph has the word 'Earth' as well. Maybe edit out one or two of those. Another spot of redundancy, is that 'pods' is also repeated quite a bit throughout the second half of this chapter.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the place being called 'Cloud-Cuckoo Land'. So, I'm not accusing you of anything, but it seems to be a spin-off from the Lego Movie. I recommend you avoid things like that, since some can see it that you stole that name, and most prefer original names and ideas. If its supposed to be a place similar to that, maybe change it up a bit and really make it into your own world.

Final thing: the platform/pods floating thing really confused me. At first, I thought each pod was on a separate platform, and when it said they were launching in half and hour, each different pod floated into the air, which didn't make too much sense to me. If they were launching in half an hour, why would the platform go ahead and rise up? The I reread this and realized every pod was on the same giant platform, and that the pods could possibly be removed from it, but it still doesn't answer the question why it would rise before launch. Maybe make this more clear as to the reasoning?

Enough of that, back to praise. We are provided with quite a bit of information between this chapter and the last one. Eyeline is shown to us a little more in the mechanics book, saying she was created, and then with the assumption that she took over Universe's army. It really makes me wonder why she is so intent on taking over, whether she is just plain evil, or she has some grudge against the world, etc. Also, we get to see more about the MC (her name slips my mind), since she is shown as caring and concerned just by the act of worrying about Aura. That little thing tells us a lot about her.

I'm very excited to see further into this, and I wonder what plan is going to unfold. What will these girls be up to? Anyways, Keep on Writing,
~Wolfare~

Utopia says...

Hahahaha! I've never seen the lego movie, perhaps I ought to watch it...
I'll try to make it more clear that the girls are back in the chute room.
Thanks

Utopia says...

Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:09 pm
cvandoren1 wrote a review...

During dialogue, you use a ' at the beginning of the sentence and then a " at the end. I don't know why you do that . . .

‘But why would Universe’s troops be heading for earth? I thought she and her kingdom were the only ones except for us who refused to attack earth, and now their army is heading for earth top-speed?’
*You might want to capitalize "Earth". And you use it three times on this on piece of dialogue so you could take out two of them. And in the next sentence you use "earth" again.

and sixty-eight hours,’’
*Just a little punctuation, change the comma to a period.

‘She’ll be moved to the sick pod where she will be waked up and told the news, now come on!’
*where she will be WOKEN up

‘the escape pods will take everyone to a safer realm, probably Cloud-cuckoo-land, now don’t you worry about this place.
*you need to capitalize "the"

Thoughts rushed through my head as I listened to the sound of our shoes as they squeaked across the marble floor.
*You used "as" as a transition twice in this sentence. You might want to change one of them.

The platform had holes dotted here and there in it.
*you don't need "in it"

The platform had holes dotted here and there in it. Each hole contained a ball-like dome. Each dome could hold up to twelve Utopians.
*You could try combining these sentences. An example would be "The platform was dotted with holes containing ball-like domes, each of which could hold up to twelve Utopians."

I noticed that, after dialogue, you rarely use words like said, explained, spoke, etc. You should probably get into a habit of that because it doesn't make as much sense when you follow dialogue immediately with action.

"ruffled hair only made me more afraid and worried myself about what was going on"
*you don't need "myself"

"We finally stopped at a red pod with a single window, just like all the others."
*You could try and reword this. When you describe it, you make it sound like it is different, but then you throw off that idea when you say just like all the others. So you could try phrasing it this way - We finally stopped at one of the many identical pods. They all are red with a single window.

"but the top of each pod was plastic which could be one of seven colours. Ours was red."
*And then you say this. First, you were saying that every pod was red and now they can be one of seven different colors. You also repeated that your pod was red.

"holiday on cuckoo land while serious stuff is going on"
*A word that writers should try to avoid is "stuff". Especially following the word "serious". "Stuff" is a lazy word and "serious" definitely is not. You can just replace that with a synonym.

"Destiny guider"
*first you capitalize guider and then you don't.

‘Launch in half an hour. We are about to prepare for launch though so everyone please step onto the platform.’’
*You used launch twice and it kind of sounded like you were stating the obvious.

‘Hey guys, look at this?’’
*a little punctuation- change the question mark to a comma or period

Page was deep in thought and after thinking about it for a moment, she pulled out a box from her pocket. She placed her hand on the box and it turned into a book, a mechanics book about escape vehicles like the one we were on.
*I haven't read any of your other chapters so I don't know if you have mentioned this book in the past, but if you haven't, it sounds awfully convenient that she would happen to have a book on escape vehicles.

"I stared in to space"
*I stared INTO space.

I know that was a lot, but I'm just trying to help you out!:) I love the name Universe and you did a good job writing the excerpt from the book! Keep up the good work!

Utopia says...

It's okay, I know my grammar is terrible! Page's 'book box' allows her to think up any book she wants on any subject and it will instantly appear. It's like a mini library in her pocket! There's something wrong with the keyboard and it keeps changing my quotation marks. Don't know why.

I wouldn't think "impossible" was even in your vocabulary.
— Sharpay Evans, High School Musical