z

Young Writers Society



Life

by Uo


As I sit and think about my life
I think about how many lives I’ve ruined
How I filled them with pure strife
And don’t know why they didn’t make me excluded

I think about my childhood
How we were so sad
When we left our neighborhood
But I guess I can’t be mad

Then I think about my teenage years
When I had my very first kiss
When I had shed so many tears
But I got through all of this

So now I’m getting older and wiser
And my life is soon to be over
I shall be taken to a place higher
So even though I’m getting older
I’ll always be looking over your shoulder


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
2058 Reviews


Points: 32885
Reviews: 2058

Donate
Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:49 am
Emerson wrote a review...



Yes, like Rieda says, punctuate!

The poem, like your last one, just tells. You have to do more than tell in a poem. You have to show, paint a picture, give us something. When I read a poem I want to feel or have a thought, and I got nothing from this.

Really, I only can suggest you to put down the pen, and pick up a book. Read poetry, read books about how to write poetry, read books about imagery, symbolism, metaphor, all of it, and then start writing again. You're young, yes? (I believe your age is faux? ^_~) The best thing you can do is read. You can keep working, true, but you need to see how it works before you'll learn how to work it yourself.

Best of luck.




User avatar
516 Reviews


Points: 4890
Reviews: 516

Donate
Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:43 pm
Riedawriter23 wrote a review...



Uo wrote:As I sit and think about my life,
I think about how many lives I’ve ruined,
how I filled them with pure strife,
and don’t know why they didn’t make me excluded.

**Okay, I added the puntuation here. Also, I made the words after that lower case so that it's all in the right format. Here, I think the words need to be a bit stronger ie. "strife" "ruined" are overused and there are far better words to use. Also, "and don't knw why they didn't make me excluded" doesn't sond right. Try "and don't know why they didn't exclude me."

I think about my childhood.
How we were so sad
when we left our neighborhood.
I guess I can’t be mad

** Punctuation here too. Also, who is this "we" you might want to include something a little more information here so that your readers can actually have feelings for this. The words are simple as well. Try to broaden the vocab to express more meaning.

Then I think about my teenage years.
When I had my very first kiss,
when I had shed so many tears.
I got through all of this.

** I think this is my favorite part because people can relate to it. Still, punctuation, and vocab. You might want to dictionary search.

So, now I’m getting older and wiser,
and my life is soon to be over.
I shall be taken to a place higher.
So, even though I’m getting older,
I’ll always be looking over your shoulder


**Lol, obviously, punctuation again. Sorry, I AM very picky but...sucks for you :p This last part I didn't really understand. Maybe the lines just don't read together right or something but try to form this into two different stanzas that make sense by themselves. :) WORK ON THIS! I think it could be really good after plenty of revisions.

Keep it up!
~Rieda




User avatar
188 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 188

Donate
Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:13 pm
sarahcrosbeh wrote a review...



The rhythm is quite patchy and some bits don't flow, like the people above have mentioned. :?

I can't say much as my poem knowledge isn't too good.

The idea is very good though. :)

x




User avatar
461 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 461

Donate
Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:25 am
GingerLizzy wrote a review...



Strange and a little patchy with the rhythm and rhymes in some places. It tended to skip instead of flow and this makes it harder for the reader, a.k.a me, to stay interested. If I were you I'd think of some serious proofreading before you post on here, and also, review your punctuation.

Some imagary was good and also, you used good descritive styles in some parts, but other than that, I didn't like this very much. The end line. 'I'll always be looking over your shoulder' is used a lot in poems, stories, in fact a lot of different writing pieces and it bores me to see it again. Perhaps try to make this line into your own and add a new modern twist of flavour to it, to make it seem less unoriginal and drab.

Other than that, the idea was good, you just need to overlook your actually writing to find it.




User avatar
493 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 493

Donate
Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:43 am
Misty says...



last two lines = good.

other than that...er...yeah, bad.




User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:56 am
Snoink says...



The rhymes are forced and, because you are concentrating on rhyming so much, there is no meaning behind the poem. Throw this away and try again. You can do better.




User avatar
76 Reviews


Points: 516
Reviews: 76

Donate
Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:41 am
KingKamor says...



The rhythm needs some work, but it was nice and ansty. some of the words in the first stanza didn't feel right, so you may want to fix it. Good job nonetheless. =3

(by the way, it'd be awesome if you'd read my romance story and critique it.)





You walk into this room at your own risk, because it leads to the future, not a future that will be but one that might be. This is not a new world, it is simply an extension of what began in the old one. It has patterned itself after every dictator who has ever planted the ripping imprint of a boot on the pages of history since the beginning of time. It has refinements, technological advances, and a more sophisticated approach to the destruction of human freedom. But like every one of the super states that preceded it, it has one iron rule: logic is an enemy and truth is a menace.
— Rod Serling