z

Young Writers Society



The Elephant's Legacy

by Twit


The Elephant's Legacy.

And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? John 9:2

The day the elephants paraded in the streets of Leicester, a new page was written in the medical and history books. Over a hundred years after one elephant lifted one massive foot and set it down on the street, men would remember what happened in that moment - or what was thought to have happened in that moment.

In May 1862, the fair came to Leicester. Girls and boys ran into their houses, crying to their parents, "The fair's coming!" They talked to their friends about the garish coloured roundabouts they would see, debating whether this year they would be brave enough to try the swing-boats. Their parents thought of the stalls there, selling cheeses and clothing; the markets for horses and sheep and cattle that clogged the streets and filled the air with the smells of manure and too much livestock in too small a place.

The greatest attractions, however, were the wild animal shows. The massive wooden wagons lurched through the streets, the teams of Shire horses drawing them, straining with the effort. Between the cavalcade of wagons were the camels and the greatest stars of the show: the elephants. The crowds at the sides of the street goggled in wonder at the enormous creatures as they marched slowly past, their ears flapping against their heads, the sun touching their curved grey backs and outlining them in golden brilliance.

"They're so big!"

"I wanna see! I can't see - move it, you're in the way!"

"Can you see 'em, Billy?"

"Mam, look! They're huge!"

"They have nice eyes."

This last came from a young woman standing very near the wagons as they rumbled past. Her companions looked at her in surprise. "What's that, Mary Jane?"

"The elephants have nice eyes," she repeated. She couldn't have been more than twenty-five, with beautiful dark eyes and hair. Her cheekbones stood out harshly in her comely face, and she leaned on her friend's shoulder, her legs too weak to support her full weight. Her normally slender figure had thickened, showing her condition, and the group of women she was with exchanged glances.

One of them asked, "Do you want to go home, Mary Jane? Being out like this might not be good for the baby."

Mary Jane laughed. "I enjoy the fair, Verity! That will be good for the baby. There, see, there's the last one." She pointed to the last wagon. Ambling along beside it was the last elephant in the parade. It tossed its head nervously, and the crowd's cries rose in excitement.

"Look at its teeth!"

"Bet they could run you through soon as look at you!"

A couple of small boys, pushing each other and pointing, started waving their arms about and yelling, "Hey! Elephant! Have them teeth pulled out, elephant!"

The crowd pushed forward, and Mary Jane staggered, her crippled legs giving way; another shove from the crowd, and she fell into the path of the elephant and wagon.

She hit the hard, dusty ground and rolled sideways. She lifted her head and saw the feet of the elephant lift and fall, raising tiny puffs of dust; she felt the earth tremble at the impact. Her heart seemed to fly up inside her, and she could feel it pounding a terrified beat against her ribs. Her legs, always weak, were now completely useless and she did not even think of trying to move. Joseph, she thought. Panic rose as she thought of her husband, short, rugged and hard-working. Joseph, oh Joseph.

Dimly, she heard the shouts of the crowd, but all she could see was the feet of the elephant, lifting and falling, coming closer and closer, so close she could see each individual wrinkle in the grey skin. She shut her eyes, waiting... waiting... waiting...

"Mary Jane!"

The scream rent through the air and she felt hands grip her shoulders, pull her back out of the street, into the safety of her friend's arms. The world suddenly speeded up again, and Mary Jane found herself trembling all over, her hands clutching to find anything that was safe. Only then, now that it was all over, did she panic, breaking down into tears, sobbing with shock and fright into the hankerchief someone pushed into her hand. She felt comforting hands pat her shoulders, heard someone say, "Best get her home," and then she was being pushed out of the crowds into a small alley-way, out of the noise and excitement. Verity stroked Mary Jane's hair as she wept into her shoulder. "There, there," she murmured. "It's alright, now. It's alright."

Eventually, Mary Jane's tears slowed and stopped. She stepped back, wiping her eyes against her sleeve. "Th-thank you, Verity," she managed. She swallowed, then whispered, "Will you take me home?"

Verity took her arm and helped her crippled and heavily pregnant friend home. Once inside, Mary Jane collapsed into a chair, her body still trembling with shock. The sound of her shallow, ragged breathing mingled with the squeak and splash of the pump being worked, and Verity came in from the yard with a chipped mug in her hand. She offered it to Mary Jane who shook her head.

"Drink it," Verity insisted. She pressed the mug into her hand, and automatically, Mary Jane lifted it to her lips and drank. She smiled wanly, then more cheerfully.

"I feel a bit better now. Thank you." She handed the mug back and lolled her head against the chair back. Verity quietly went into the other room and took the thin pillow from the wooden bed. When she came back, Mary Jane was dozing, one hand hanging down, and the other resting on her swollen stomach, like a mother bird on her nest.

- - - -

Twenty seven years later, and the son of Mary Jane Merrick limped through Liverpool Street Station. His shuffling gait showed his exhaustion, and his lack of any luggage was enough to set him apart from the rest of the passengers embarking and disembarking from the smelly, smoke-belching trains. As he climbed the stairs, a boy came up behind him, and began questioning, "Mister? Why's your head so big? Mister?" His grin and taunting voice attracted two more boys who were watching, and they followed the small, stumbling figure with its mocking satellite, repeating again and again, "Mister? Why's your head so big?"

The figure in its bizarre veiled hat and voluminous cloak tried to walk faster, but this only succeeded in capturing the attention of more bystanders. More people began to follow, passengers and station staff alike, pointing fingers and staring, muttering curiously about this strange person. He tried to turn and go back through the crowd, but they hemmed him in, refused to let him pass. One person, a scruffy porter bolder than the rest, tried to remove the concealing black hat, but only succeeded in lifting a corner of the heavy brown veil. At once he stumbled back in horror, and the man underneath the hat jerked away, trying again to break through the ring of people surrounding him. This time he got through, but not before a hoarse shout had gone up. "It's a monster!"

He tried to head for the doors out of the station, but the crowd behind him had seized upon the porter's words, and the scream came after him like a rabid dog. "It's a monster! Stop it!"

The shouts reached the ears of two policemen outside, and they surged forward, ready to deliver punishment or help as the situation required. Seeing the excited and voluble crowd, and in the midst of it a terrified creature apparently on the verge of collapse, they realized the need for action.

"Here, break it up, break it up!"

"Move along people, please."

Forcing back the group of people who all seemed to be shouting different things, they helped up the person - was it male or female, they wondered? - and helped it to a bench by the wall, where it sat, shaking all over. The younger policeman wrinkled up his nose at the foul smell emanating from the person, but said politely, "Here sir, you just sit here a bit. Do you want to take your hat off?"

The person lifted its abnormally huge head and the policeman saw that there was a vertical slit in the hat's veil. It said something in a high-pitched voice, but neither man could understand what it was; helplessly the younger one asked, "Foreign? No speak English? French? Par-lay-voo?"

The crowd of people would not be held back by mere threats and began pressing forward again. "It can't speak 'cause it's a monster!" someone shouted, and the mysterious person at whom the speech was directed, flinched as though from a blow. The policemen, with a despairing glance at one another, tapped it on the shoulder and suggested, "How 'bout we go to the waiting room, sir?"

He rose, stumbled, and would have fallen if the policemen had not caught him. Hearing the voices behind them rise in a tumult of revulsion, disgust and shock, they quickly hurried the person into one of the third-class waiting rooms. Once inside, he retreated into the darkest part of the room and collapsed down upon the floor. The policemen tried again to make sense of his high and surprisingly flute-like voice, but it remained unintelligible. Finally, as they were about to give up, and with the shouts of the crowd growing in volume and emotion, the person fumbled in some inner pocket underneath his immense black cloak, and with his uncrippled hand, produced a small, creased oblong of pasteboard. He handed this to them, and they took it, reading on it the name of a Mr Frederick Treves, a surgeon with the London Hospital.

The men exchanged glances, wondering what this creature was doing with a card like this, but it was the only solution to their problem. Leaving the room and its strange occupant, they began issuing directions. Someone must send for this Treves, and more men were needed to keep the crowd at bay.

Inside the room, the person huddled in the corner, rocking to and fro with its head on its knees. Its slim, delicate, uncrippled hand again crept to its inside pocket, and drew out a small object which it brought up to its face so it could see through the slit in its veil. It was a small painted portrait of a woman, with beautiful dark hair and eyes. Joesph Carey Merrick gazed at his mother, Mary Jane Merrick and in his mind, he was remembering a verse he had heard her say when he was a child, before she had died.

Was I so tall, could reach the pole,

Or grasp the ocean with a span;

I would be measured by the soul,

The mind's the standard of the man.

--------------------

I think the ending needs work. Advice and abuse welcomed.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
172 Reviews


Points: 1224
Reviews: 172

Donate
Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:13 am
Lynlyn wrote a review...



The quote at the beginning is neat; I liked that. The beginning *could* be filed down a little bit, but I don't really see anything wrong with it the way it is, and it looks like you've already edited a little if I'm not mistaken.

I agree that a more vivid physical description of the main character would help for those who aren't familiar with the historical context. My main beef with this, though, was that it seemed so cut off at the end. The opening was almost as long (if not longer) than the main part of the story. Are you planning on adding more? I would love to see you explore this concept more, especially since your storytelling here is so impressive, and your grammar and word choice are near perfect. I think you've really got a "feel" for this kind of thing - keep at it! :)




User avatar
32 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 32

Donate
Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:18 am
kayles wrote a review...



I actually really like the opening scene with Mary-Jane Merrick - I've The Elephant Man film many times, but never really knew much about his mother, so despite a previous suggestion to cut it, I would personally leave it. It differentiates your story from other Elephant Man tales.

And although the story is quite well known, perhaps a little more description of Merrick's physical description wouldn't go astray.

Otherwise, great story! Chracterization is good and the narrative drive is excellent :)




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:30 am
gyrfalcon says...



Lovery, darling--afraid I can't give you an in-depth critique, but I want more! *starts to chant* Finish story, finish story, finish story...




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:16 pm
Twit says...



Thanky, Magicman, fishr and Wiggy! [That about Marion's name, yes, I see what you mean, Wiggy.]




User avatar
402 Reviews


Points: 1586
Reviews: 402

Donate
Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:16 pm
Wiggy wrote a review...



All right! *rubs hands together* First off, congratulations on an excellent piece. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this (twice!!), and I'm glad you picked this as the piece you'd like me to critique. Well, here goes!

-THINGS YOU DID WELL

-GRAMMAR!!!!! *huggles a million times* Do you know how nice it is to have someone who has great grammar? Thank you so much for making it easy to read and understandable.

-Description. You set up the setting really well, and did a great job of introducing Mary Jane. I liked the circus/parade feel that was prevalent to it (kinda makes me want to go see a trapeze act right now lol).

-Keeping interest. The story, in my opinion, didn't drag at all, and although it's not one of those stories that would keep me riveted, I truly enjoyd a pleasant read. Kudos to you!

-Compassion. At the end, I felt so sorry for her son! I finally got the title after reading it the second time-poor guy! Society can be so mean...Anyway, you did a great job of making the reader want to feel sorry for him. One of the marks of a great writer is one who makes the reader feel emotions indirectly. Nice job.

-Your style. I really liked how you drew me into the story. It got better as the story went on. You definitely have a way with words, so good job!

THINGS THAT COULD USE SOME WORK

-Sentence variation. Okay, this isn't that big of a deal, but I did notice a couple of paragraphs where all the sentences started with subject/verb. Perhaps try reading your piece aloud; the rhythm is much more noticeable when you do this. An example of this would be this paragraph:

In May 1862, the fair came to Leicester. Girls and boys ran into their houses, crying to their parents, "The fair's coming!" They talked to their friends about the garish coloured roundabouts they would see, debating whether this year they would be brave enough to try the swing-boats. Their parents thought of the stalls there, selling cheeses and clothing; the markets for horses and sheep and cattle that clogged the streets and filled the air with the smells of manure and too much livestock in too small a place.


Every sentence except the first one starts with subject/verb. Maybe it was the longevity of the sentences in this particular paragraph: I'm not sure. You might just want to take a look at that.

-Mary Jane and Marion. One of the things that didn't bother me until my second read was your choice of names. Now, don't worry, I really like the name Mary (as it is my own! :P), but "Mary Jane" and "Marion" are almost too similar for comfort. Maybe you could change one of their names to a different one, just for the sake of less confusion?

-Characterization. Although you did a great job with Joseph, Mary Jane and Marion could have used a little more work, especially Marion. In Mary Jane's case, why should I care that she was almost trampled by the elephant (of course, in real life if I saw that I would about die, but this is a different case :lol:)? Make me care. Add some layers to her character. Why was she at the fair in the first place? Why was Marion there to help her? From what I saw, Mary Jane was a free spirit who was going through a difficult pregnancy, and Marion was there to help her. Make your characters leap off the page; I suggest (even though this is just a short story) doing a character sketch for each one of these characters. You'll have something much greater in depth, and you'll have more loveable characters.

-Plot. It wasn't bad, but then again, it wasn't amazing. Basically, to pinpoint it, Mary Jane is at a fair with her friends. Crowd pushes her; she falls in path of elephant. Marion saves her; Mary Jane has a son. Son is made fun of. I personally liked the story (one of those simple, but sweet ones), but others may want a bit more action. Perhaps add a twist to it (maybe have it from the viewpoint of one of the elephant trainers?).

-Dialogue. There was hardly any dialogue in this. As MH pointed out, you could draw out the officer a little more, too. The officers could argue, people could start trying to hurt Joseph, etc. Don't be afraid to add a little action!

-Ending. Yep, you're right, the ending does need work. Personally, I felt cheated. It wasn't a satisfactory ending. I don't know about you, but for an ending, I like to make my readers think. This ending just hung there. I think you really need to draw out the scene with Joseph a little more, maybe make it a little more obvious as to what he really is. I was confused-is he an elephant, or just a deformed man? The way you made it sound, he was an elephant, and that's not possible! :P

-Beginning. The beginning is one of those classic examples of telling, not showing. You definitely set it up well, but it was just...blah. Who wants a bunch of description at the beginning? You need a hook, something that will draw readers in. Your beginning was more set up like a novel. You can use a few paragraphs to set up things in novels, but with short stories, you definitely need to do it immediately.

All right, I hope this helps! It felt good to critique something again, so thanks for writing this, good job, and if you have any questions, just pm me! If you need anything else done with this piece or need any advice or something, just let me know!

All the best! *doffs cap*

Wiggy ;) (and yes, I ripped off the style of Sam's crits :lol:)

[b]EDIT: Now that I look back on it, you do have a good amount of dialogue, except in Joseph's scene. Draw that out a little more.




User avatar
365 Reviews


Points: 22
Reviews: 365

Donate
Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:32 pm
Fishr wrote a review...



I've heard of him, many times, but like all things that are silenced for a period of time, I forgot about the Elephant Man. However, to possibly add to this wonderful article/story on a genetic mishap, I remember when I was younger, like seven. During this time, my Mom used to babysit kids. No big deal, right? Well, the kids she looked after all had some medical dilemma. Children with Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, and yes children with deformities. I will probably always remember this boy that was of equal age or older by a few years than me. He was born without a right hand. Actually from the wrist down - all gone. But here's the amazing part: He could still hold things without a hand!! I swear, it's not a ploy nor a white lie from a storyteller that has quite the over-imagainative mind. If I had not seen it with my own two eyes so long ago, I might still have assumed it was a dream because really to overcome that obstacle is simply awesome and mindboggling. I still retain the information on how this boy was able to feed himself with utencils, hold a thin book, and a small plastic-type fishing rod for an electronic game, all with his preferred method - with his right arm. The boy's parents taught him as soon as he was able to walk by tying there fingers together with yarn or hemp. By doing this, you have to curl what's left of your working hand, and master the fact - you are without fingers or a palm.

For me, I'm very fortunate to have that upbringing. So often people fear the unusual and shun it, hate it, and hurt a living, breathing person or animal. If you ever get the change, watch the movie, Shallow Hal. While it isn't the best of films, there is a man in the movie that "walks on all fours." His real name is Rene Kirby, and he's a resident in my neck of the woods. His condition is rare, but Rene (pronouced as Reen) has a condition that keeps his spine, well, honestly crooked. I forgot the medical term. Rene is a great guy by the way. Very friendly and outgoing. Yes, I'm thankful for my upbringing because despite "not looking normal," I've had the oppertunity to meet some kick ass, wonderful people in the past.

*

Now that I'm done regaling about the past, lol, I have a few comments. No real grammar or spelling editing but commenting on the actual story itself. :)

Firstly, no to be a pain in the bunghole, but I had to check on the accuracy of the content. This means I was so intrigued by the story itself, it forced me to read more about Merrick. Boy did he have a tough deal in life. I ave to admit though, some of the pictures of him were a tad unsettling when first looked at. Then I got used to them, and the pictures weren't so bad. Guess I'm still used to things after all these years. Anyway, from what I read around the web, (yeah, I did some cross-referencing), you've done your homework. I especially like the dialogue.

Secondly, I quite enjoyed how you showed us a flock surrounding the man, and how desperate he wanted to file through them. Yet, I get a taste of the period. If there was a grain of dust misplaced, people noticed. They were/are completely focused on the unusual, hence why freak shows were so popular. So, a man hidden under a wide, brim hat, and a long, black tunic - you're just asking for attention to be drawn to you. Kudos for accomplishing that as well.

Overall, I could spend the night showering you with compliments, but, isn't my job supposed to be critical? Well, while I AM usually over critical, I am in love with this setup. *hugs all characters*

I'll be back.




User avatar
277 Reviews


Points: 6070
Reviews: 277

Donate
Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:51 pm
Black Ghost wrote a review...



Interesting story, Shadowtwit. :D

Technical-wise, it's very sound, so I'll just delve into the structure.

The crowd pushed forward, and Mary Jane staggered, her crippled legs giving way; another shove from the crowd, and she fell into the path of the elephant and wagon. She hit the hard, dusty ground and rolled sideways. She lifted her head and saw the feet of the elephant lift and fall, raising tiny puffs of dust; she felt the earth tremble at the impact. Her legs, always weak, were now completely useless and she did not even think of trying to move. Dimly, she heard the shouts of the crowd, but all she could see was the feet of the elephant, lifting and falling, coming closer and closer, so close she could see each individual wrinkle in the grey skin. She shut her eyes, waiting... waiting... waiting...


The meat of this scene's conflict is pretty much this whole paragraph. The major problem here is that although it's a very strong conflict, its potential impact is lost. Why? Because it all happens so suddenly, and by the time we realize what's happening, it's over. In places like these, you need to make sure to drag out the conflict. Make the reader ache with suspense. Slow things down.

Another part of the reason why it isn't as powerful is that you're not translating how Mary is feeling as she lies there on the ground. It's not enough for her to break down afterwards. We need to know how she's feeling as it's happening. In order to make your reader feel, you need to make it clear how your MC is feeling.

Only when she had reached her home and Marion had left her, did a thought occur to Mary Jane. Has this affected the baby? She felt a twinge of fear, but quickly pushed it away. The baby would be fine, she told herself firmly. Absolutely fine.


The problem I have with this paragraph is how obvious it is. When you read it, it's like "DUH! Of course somethings going to happen to the baby!" Because then there wouldn't be any reason for this scene to take place, would there?

This isn't good. Your reader shouldn't be able to foresee events that easily. It makes the story anticlimactic. There are no questions. If your reader isn't asking themselves any questions, it's not a good thing. That means you've failed to establish and real suspense or mystery.

My advice on this entire piece? Take out the first scene. Completely. Start the story at the train station. Also, don't start with the same sentence. Please don't tell us who's son "it" is(by the way, sometimes you refer to it as both "him" and "it") instead, leave that part out, because then you create a sense of mystery which will hook the reader into your story. Let us wonder who this strange deformity is.( yeah, I know he's a historical figure, but still) Don't give us all the answers. Because then we won't have any reason to turn the page.

Hope that helps,
Tony




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:01 pm
Twit says...



kitty wrote:Was I so tall, could reach the pole,
Or grasp the ocean with a span;
I would be measured by the soul,
The mind's the standard of the man. [The first line is a little awkward and the ending is a touch abrupt but I love the meaning behind this quote!]


That's what Merrick wrote at the end of his biography - he misquoted it, so it's thought that he was remembering it from childhood, and didn't get it quite right.

kitty wrote: I'd have loved a description of 'the elephant man.' What exactly went wrong with the baby that day? Why is he such a monster?


It was thought that Mary Jane Merrick's encounter with the elephant was the reason her son was so deformed. It wasn't (duh) he had a thing called Proteus Syndrome and another condition that I forget the name of; together it made him look as though he were half an elephant. So he was called "The Elephant Man" when he was being displayed as a freak in a freak-show. You can see what he looked like if you type his name into Google.

Anyways, scuse the lecture. Ta for the crit. :)




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:53 pm
Rydia wrote a review...



Sure I can critique this one. Let me see...

In general, this was well written and very interesting but I'd have loved a description of 'the elephant man.' What exactly went wrong with the baby that day? Why is he such a monster? And who's the father? The elephant? Lol. Anyway, a few specific points -

or what was thought to have happened in that moment.

Girls and boys ran into their houses, crying to their parents, "The fair's coming!" They talked to their friends about the garish coloured roundabouts they would see, debating whether this year they would be brave enough to try the swing-boats.

The greatest attraction, however, were the wild animal shows.

The massive wooden wagons lurched through the streets, the teams of Shire horses drawing them, straining with the effort.

The figure in its bizarre veiled hat and voluminous cloak tried to walk faster, but this only succeeded in capturing the attention of more bystanders.

The men exchanged glances, wondering what this creature was doing with a card like this, but it was the only solution to their problem.

Was I so tall, could reach the pole,
Or grasp the ocean with a span;
I would be measured by the soul,
The mind's the standard of the man. [The first line is a little awkward and the ending is a touch abrupt but I love the meaning behind this quote!]

_____________________
Overall, I found this piece entertaining and interesting. Hope some of my suggestions helped...




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:38 am
Twit says...



Royboy wrote:there's never a clear description of the person.


Joseph Carey Merrick was the Elephant Man, so I figured I didn't need to spell out what he looked like; should I have?


Thanky for commenting, both!




User avatar
164 Reviews


Points: 1068
Reviews: 164

Donate
Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:46 pm
Ares says...



Forcing back the group of people who all seemed to be shouting different things,

Use some dialogue on the offier's part here. You could extend the piece by adding some more at the end.

-MH




User avatar
1258 Reviews


Points: 6090
Reviews: 1258

Donate
Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:03 am
Sam wrote a review...



Hey, Twitty!

I love your style- it's very soft and neutral, but pretty in the way it's put together. Altogether, it's very easy to get through, which is nice to see in a historical piece. Besides which, you chose not to go with wars or witches, but something a little more obscure...which I highly admire. ^_^ Good job.

A few things I found to ramble about:

BANISHING THE DEMONS OF STUFFINESS!




User avatar
133 Reviews


Points: 1206
Reviews: 133

Donate
Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:12 am
Royboy wrote a review...



"Bet they could run you through soon as look at you!"

Missing something?

Twenty seven years later, and the son of Mary Jane Merrick limped through Liverpool Street Station.

Either you mean twenty seven years later, and the son of Mary Jane Merric was limping through Liverpool Street Station, or twenty seven years later, the son of Mary Jane Merric limped through Liverpool Street Station.

Well that was quite interesting, esecially because there's never a clear description of the person. The description that IS there is awesome, in my opinion, and the ending is just fine. I guess it could use a bit more emphisis, but I couldn't tell you how to do that. Hope that helped.

~Roya





This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.
— T.S. Eliot