Butterfly Kisses - Chapter 1

by Tuesday

If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies. - Unknown

“The pink car drove down the road. Say it slowly: the pink car drove down the road.”

The sentence seems pointless. An adjective describing a noun in which a verb follows it. My teacher, who was my mother, would repeat this sentence to me every day for the past year or two, to begin our daily lessons. I never really paid attention to it, I mean, I was only ten at the time, when she first began to homeschool me. My mother was fairly pretty at a ripe age of thirty but that was changing depending on how she felt or how the weather was. I had thought she was a princess of some sort and she would play with that. Anyway, it seemed like our lessons were getting longer by the day, starting with how to identify the nouns in a sentence to what were the different types of POVs. I was a fast learner, I guessed. She had wanted the best for me, only sending me to bed when I could recite the different tenses at least ten times.

My father wasn’t around much because he worked the night shift at the local mall and during the day, stayed in his bedroom, watching romcoms and the only time I would actually get to see him would be shortly during dinner and then later, if I was lucky while getting a glass of water at night. There were sometimes where my parents would fight, my mother usually starting them and my dad ending them. It was over simple things such as seeing me or when my dad going to pay the bills for our small, cramped apartment. In some corners of our apartment, there were potted plants that needed water, ladybugs that were discolored due to a large amount of sunlight, and old photo albums that showed our family’s history in black and grey photos.

My grandma was a loving spirit who helped me through some of the biggest problems in my family. Usually taking me out to get ice cream or to buy new school clothes. She only lived a town over. I’ve been there once; she lived inside of a red house with white edging and a garden of flowers that were in the front. There was also a small old brown barn behind her house that contained my grandpa’s old farmer supplies, such as a green mower and some gardening tools. My grandma also has an old dog named Bailey that would lick my face whenever I arrived. I miss Bailey. I miss my grandma.

Early mornings in my household consist of waking up and being the first to get breakfast. My mom usually makes enough eggs, bacon, and toast for three but it is best to get it warm. I was the first to get there, greeted by my mother’s emotionless smile. It was like a foggy drawing of one on a bathroom mirror. I sat down on one end while my mom sat at the other end, quietly scrapping her eggs onto her fork with a butter knife. My dad had yet to wake up, which was normal, considering he was never shown. My mom looked at me, chewing solemnly.

“What’s wrong, bunny?” She had asked. She called me that because of my fuzzy hair looking like a bunny tail. Nothing felt wrong. I become aware of my face, touching it slightly as I felt the soft outline of my frown and then frowned a bit more.

“I think I frown too much, mama.”

She laughed and then shook her head. “If you frown too much, then you’ll never be happy. Now, eat up. It’s going to be a busy day.”

My first day at public school started out with not knowing anyone or where to go. I felt kind of small for someone of fifteen. I held onto my mother’s hand as the principle, a nice old lady by the name of Mrs. Shaddon, lead us around the school.

“It’s a fairly nice school with only thousand students. The teachers here are quite nice and enjoy a good laugh too. We have an award-winning lunch system too in this state,” she joked. My mom didn’t look pleased. There were colorful posters on the wall that stated stuff against bullying and whatnot. One caught my eye of a little girl, I’m guessing around five, with a purple eye. The words, in bright green and circled, stated: “even parents can do it.” I didn’t care much about it as my mother tugged on my arm. I was wearing a blue dress with white shoes that dug deep into my ankles. My mother insisted I wear something fancy and attempted to tie down my wild hair (of course, it didn’t work well because it bounced back; a wild beast).

When we were done looking around the school, my mother took me to McDonald’s and we ate in the parking lot. I got some chicken nuggets and apple slices while my mom simply ate a small salad. I noticed how thin she was, how her jawline seemed to cut through the skin slightly, and how sunken her eyes looked with black bags under her eyes. I overheard from when my parents were talking about how my mom was attempting to find a job online because my dad got fired for being late to work so many times (or at least, that’s what I like to think).

“Bunny, do you think we should move?” My mother asked, poking at her salad. Being only fifteen and asked such a question was awful. It was like expecting the President being asked to replace all the stuffed animals in all the stores with bombs.

I took another bite of a nugget before speaking. “Why do you want to move, mama?”

This was the first night I had seen my mother cry. It lapped over, like water over a basin and sounded deep inside of her chest. At the age of fifteen, I didn’t know what to do. After a couple of minutes of just crying and leaning against the steering wheel, my mother sat up and looked at the distant lights of the late night traffic.

“Your father isn’t good for me, Bunny. We’ve drifted apart. He doesn’t love me anymore,” she said, sniffling a few times. I blinked, the chicken nuggets no longer appealing to me. “Your dad doesn’t provide for the family like he used to. Before you were born and such.” She sighed, looking down at her salad. “If we move, I think it’d be best if we leave because of your father. Just the two of us, Bunny. How does that sound?”

Silence and the sound of my beating heart were the only things I could hear. I honestly didn’t know what to say. I think it would’ve been easier if we did move but I began to think. Where would we live? Will I still go to school? Questions like that began to plague my mind.

“Bunny, we aren’t going to move right away. I still need to find a third job to support us and to find money. Until then, could you think about it, please?” She looked through the rearview mirror at me, her foggy smile showing again. I began to feel sorry for my mother and worried the worst wasn’t over yet. We drove home that night, throwing away the McDonald’s because my mother didn’t want my dad to know of it. I snuck off to bed while my mother went into the bedroom, quietly closing the door. 

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:07 pm
Panikos wrote a review...

Hiya, Tuesday. Pan here for a quick review. I'm going to point out little comments and nitpicks as I read then close with some overall thoughts. Let's get to it!

An adjective describing a noun in which a verb follows it.

I'd suggest tweaking the expression here, because it makes it sound like the verb is within the adjective, which is a bit weird. Maybe change it to something like:

An adjective describing a noun followed by a verb.

I had thought she was a princess of some sort and she would play with that.

I don't really get what you're trying to say here.

starting with how to identify the nouns in a sentence to what were the different types of POVs

Expression again. Maybe rephrase this as:

starting with how to identify the nouns in a sentence and all of the different types of POVs

Sounds like my kind of lesson. Love me some nouns.

My father wasn’t around much because he worked the night shift at the local mall and during the day, stayed in his bedroom, watching romcoms and the only time I would actually get to see him would be shortly during dinner and then later, if I was lucky while getting a glass of water at night.

And breathe! This could do with splitting into two sentences. Maybe have something like:

My father wasn’t around much because he worked the night shift at the local mall. During the day, he stayed in his bedroom watching romcoms, and the only time I would actually get to see him would be shortly during dinner and, if I was lucky, while getting a glass of water at night.

There were sometimes where my parents would fight

'Sometimes' is only one word when it's used as an adverb, as in 'my parents would fight sometimes' or 'sometimes I like to dance around the kitchen in a ferret costume'. Here, however, it's in a noun position, so it should be two words, like this:

There were some times where my parents would fight

A good way to check if 'sometimes' should be two words or one is to delete 'some' and see if the sentence still makes sense. If it does, it should be two words. If it doesn't, it should be one.

'There were times where my parents would fight' does make sense, so 'some times' should be two words.

'Times I like to dance around the kitchen' does not make sense, so 'sometimes' should be one word. Simple as that.

quietly scrapping her eggs onto her fork with a butter knife.

This should be 'scraping'. Unless you mean she's brawling the eggs. :P

“What’s wrong, bunny?” She had asked

Dialogue punctuation alert. Dialogue tags such as 'she said' and 'he said' should never have a capital letter (unless, of course, they begin with a proper noun). Even when the dialogue closes with a question mark or an exclamation mark, capital letters are banned.

"The correct formula is this!" the reviewer said.

Being only fifteen and asked such a question was awful. It was like expecting the President being asked to replace all the stuffed animals in all the stores with bombs.

Really not sure what you're getting at here - the expression is messy. Why would a President ever be asked to replace stuffed animals with bombs?

At the age of fifteen, I didn’t know what to do.

You sure like reminding us that she's fifteen. You only need to say it once. We'll remember it.

Overall Thoughts

1) The end of the chapter is definitely the strongest part. It ends on an interesting note. Even though parental separation is the kind of classic conflict that shows up in a lot of stories, I still think it works, because it's a situation that lots of readers will be able to relate to. I sympathise with the narrator, and I wonder how her world will change if her parents part ways.

2) You need to sort your tenses out. They're all over the place at the minute. Your first proper line is in present tense, but later in the piece you mostly stay in past, though sometimes you dip into past perfect and present again for no clear reason. Try to level it out. It's nothing a good proof-reading session won't solve. Run your work through some kind of spelling and grammar checker as well, because that should help you spot clunky bits of expression and the odd typo. It won't catch everything, though, so I'd also suggest reading your work aloud to highlight the more subtle rhythm problems.

3) I love the quote, and I think the first few sentences of the story are really engaging and unusual. They instantly make me wonder why the narrator is being asked to repeat the sentence about the pink car, why her mother is her teacher, why she's been teaching her about this sentence for two whole years. All of that adds up to a lot of intrigue, but you lose that over the next few paragraphs where you start talking about the dad and the grandma. It's too early in the story for me to care about that kind of information.

When you start a story, the idea is to get in as late as you possibly can. Don't spend any more time than you have to easing us into the setting; you need to make a beeline for the interesting stuff, the conflict. It's also a good idea to leave your reader in the dark as much as you can. By not answering their questions, you increase their appetite for answers.

4) Most of all, I'm interested by how young the narrator acts for their age. The way she talks seems very childish, and her holding her mother's hand at school doesn't strike me as something your typical teenager would do. Then there's the fact that she's learning to repeat sentences and identify nouns at such a late age. It raises a lot of questions. That's an aspect of this chapter that you do really well.

I'm going to call the review here. I hope it was helpful, and if there's anything I didn't comment on that you want feedback for, please let me know. I'll keep my eyes peeled for future chapters, as well!

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:12 pm
TheBlueCat wrote a review...

Hullo Tuesday! I'm Cat, and I'm here to review this lovely piece! :D

I'm going to try a new thing of putting my grammar changes and thoughts directly in your piece(in bold)! Here we go! :D

If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies. - Unknown Love this quote!

The sentence seems pointless.Very much so! An adjective describing a noun in which a verb follows it. My teacher, who was my mother,I think this would sound better the other way around, "My mother, who was my teacher" Just a thought. would repeat this sentence to me every day for the past year or two, to begin our daily lessons. I never really paid attention to it, I mean, I was only ten at the time, when she first began to homeschool me. My mother was fairly pretty at a ripe age of thirty but that was changeding depending on how she felt or how the weather was. I had thought she was a princess of some sort and she would play with that. Not quite sure what you mean by "play with that" Anyway, it seemed like our lessons were getting longer by the day, starting with how to identify the nouns in a sentence to what were the different types of POVs. I was a fast learner, I guessed. She had wanted the best for me, only sending me to bed when I could recite the different tenses at least ten times.

My father wasn’t around much because he worked the night shift at the local mall and during the day, he stayed in his bedroom, watching romcoms What's a romcom? and the only time I would actually get to see him would be shortly during dinner and then later, if I was lucky, while getting a glass of water at night. There were some space heretimes where my parents would fight, my mother usually starting them and my dad ending them. It was over simple things such as seeing me, or when my dad going to pay the bills for our small, cramped apartment. In some corners of our apartment, there were potted plants that needed water, ladybugs that were discolored due to a large amount of sunlight, and old photo albums that showed our family’s history in black and grey I feel like white is more appropriate here photos.

My grandma was a loving spirit who helped me through some of the biggest problems in my family. SheUsually taking took me out to get ice cream or to buy new school clothes. She only lived a town over. I’ve been there once; she lived inside of a red house with white edging and a garden of flowers that were in the front. There was also a small old brown barn behind her house that contained my grandpa’s old farmer supplies, such as a green lawnmower and some gardening tools. My grandma also has had an old dog named Bailey that would lick my face whenever I arrived. I miss Bailey. I miss my grandma.

Early mornings in my household consisted of waking up and being the first to get breakfast. My mom usually makesd enough eggs, bacon, and toast for three, but it iswas best to get it warm. I was the first to get there, greeted by my mother’s emotionless smile. It was like a foggy drawing ofon one onof athe bathroom mirrors. I sat down on one end while my mom sat at the other end, quietly scrapping her eggs onto her fork with a butter knife. My dad had yet to wake up, which was normal, considering he was never shownaround(maybe?). My mom looked at me, chewing solemnly.

“What’s wrong, bunny?” She had asked. She called me that because of my fuzzy hair lookingthat looked like a bunny tail. Nothing felt wrong. I become aware of my face, touching it slightly as I felt the soft outline of my frown and then frowned a bit more.

“I think I frown too much, mama.”

“It’s a fairly nice school with only a thousanda thousand?!? That seems like too many students. The teachers here are quite nice and enjoy a good laugh too. We have an award-winning lunch system too in this state too,” she joked. My mom didn’t look pleased. There were colorful posters on the wall that stated stuff against bullying and what space here?not. One caught my eye of a little girl, I’m guessing around five, with a purple eyepurple? Do you mean bruised or something?. The words, in bright green and circled, stated: “Even parents can do it.” I didn’t care much about it as my mother tugged on my arm. I was wearing a blue dress with white shoes that dug deep into my ankles. My mother insisted I wear something fancy and hadattempted to tie down my wild hair (of course, it didn’t work well because it bounced back; a wild beastLove the image here! My hair is so similar).

When we were done looking around the school, my mother took me to McDonald’s and we ate in the parking lot. I got some chicken nuggets and apple slices, while my mom simply ate a small salad. I noticed how thin she was, how her jawline seemed to cut through the skin slightly, and how sunken her eyes looked with black bags underneath her eyes. I overheard from when my parents were talking about how my mom was attempting to find a job online because my dad got fired for being late to work so many times (or at least, that’s what I like to think)maybe some commas in here? It almost made me out of breath.

“Bunny, do you think we should move?” My mother asked, poking at her salad. Being only fifteen and asked such a question was awful. It was like expecting the President beingto be asked to replace all the stuffed animals in all the stores with bombs.

This was the first night I had seen my mother cry. It lapped over, like water over a basin and sounded deep inside of her chestOoh! Love the imagery here!. At the age of fifteenthis is getting repeated so much, maybe take some of them out?, I didn’t know what to do. After a couple of minutes of just crying and leaning against the steering wheel, my mother sat up and looked at the distant lights of the late night traffic.

Silence and the sound of my beating heart were the only things I could hear. I honestly didn’t know what to say. I think it would’ve been easier if we did move but I began to think. Where would we live? Will I still go to school? Questions like that began to plaguegreat word choice! my mind.

“Bunny, we aren’t going to move right away. I still need to find a third jobThird! That's a lot! But I get it to support us and to find money. Until then, could you think about it, please?” She looked through the rear space hereview mirror at me, her foggy smile showing again. I began to feel sorry for my mother and wasworried the worst wasn’t over yet. We drove home that night, throwing away the McDonald’s because my mother didn’t want my dad to know of it.Why? Will he be mad that they spent money eating out? I snuck off to bed while my mother went into the bedroom, quietly closing the door.

Okay, so I know I made a lot of comments, but they are all just suggestions, you don't have to use any of them. All in all, this was a great story! Not sure what the title has to do with it, but I'm sure it will make sense later! :) I look forward to the next chapter of this wonderful story! Keep writing! :D

"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood."
— George Orwell, 1984